Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If the entire staff is gone… save Jason Bent… what does that say?

An interim coach can easily jump in and take time to evaluate his inherited staff.

To clean house like that suggests one of two things to me. That whatever was festering was bigger than just Nelsen and Bez and/or the replacement has an entourage and we are getting an experienced staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man I really hope we take another shot at Adrian Heath. The man knows up to get a low quality team to play possesion / attacking football. Not sure if he's willing to leave though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Maybe we shouldn't have a rookie GM either. Bez is a corporate yes man who now feels a bit of power because TL is exiting.
    What in his history suggests he is a corporate "yes man"?

He has corporate experience yes. Kind of critical in this league. That said, where is the history of an inability to think and act on his own?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's an ex lawyer he has an ego defintely not a yes man

if u read the beckham experiment you'll see from the involvement of leiweke in club operations he likes a guy whos confident in his own abilities and ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Mr.Bez. Did you step up and get better players this summer transfer window? Goes both ways you know.

TL leaving absolutely had an effect on this.
    What do you want him to do? He gave Nelsen one of the best squads in the league right now. nelsen hasn't taken advantage of it.

If all of this is true, Bez (or Tim) did something that should've been done before the season. The 2 Tim's did everything right but keep a manager who was clearly managing a team out of his league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really dont see this as a performance based firing.. remember when bez said that even if we dont make the playoffs that nelsen wouldnt necessarily be fired

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    What do you want him to do? He gave Nelsen one of the best squads in the league right now. nelsen hasn't taken advantage of it.

If all of this is true, Bez (or Tim) did something that should've been done before the season. The 2 Tim's did everything right but keep a manager who was clearly managing a team out of his league.
    In fairness, Nelsen's contact list is what led to this offseason. Widely speculated that Nelsen had a significant hand in opening doors with Defoe, Cesar and others. Nelsen brought a lot to this team and club. It's unfortunate but I really don't see another choice in this situation… baring an apology from Nelsen… for Bez to make.

Today, we focus on coaching situation but the Defoe question is going to come up soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dug his own grave with those comments about Bez yesterday. Bet he wishes he kept his mouth shut now.

We need the make the playoffs and it was looking like it won't happen under Nelsen. Credit Bez for having the stones to make this move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very surprising. I'm kind of sad. I really wanted Nelsen to succeed here.

I'm not sure who we could hire right now that would have any significant pedigree in this league. Hiring Vanney on an interim basis would probably be our best option right now. A guy who knows how to organise a team, get young guys to play up.

Most of the time when you fire a guy midseason you get a a 5-10 game blip of good form, just because the guys aren't under such a toxic situation any more (see us going 4-2-4 in our first ten under Mariner). I see this as a desperate attempt to make sure we make the playoffs. It's do or die at this point with with the stadium expansion. If we don't make the playoffs we'll be playing in a white (or red) elephant next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    What in his history suggests he is a corporate "yes man"?

He has corporate experience yes. Kind of critical in this league. That said, where is the history of an inability to think and act on his own?
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    he's an ex lawyer he has an ego defintely not a yes man

if u read the beckham experiment you'll see from the involvement of leiweke in club operations he likes a guy whos confident in his own abilities and ideas
    Ok I'm probably wrong about that. I'm not to familiar with TL's past operations. It just strikes me this way because he could have hired any experienced GM after Payne was gone. He choose to go this route, suggesting TL might want full control, with a young guy to groom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    wholesale clean out
    Badly, badly, needed. You could fill an ocean with all the shortcomings of the current group.

I will say #1 on my list of grievances is the lack of a spanish speaker in either the head coach of first assistant spot. That's just totally unacceptable in MLS today.

BTW if there was an internal candidate who would take over, it's not Dichio or Brennan, it's Bent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday's game did not help, it was disgraceful and the way Nelson handled it after. However a firing on this scale (essentially all coaches) doesn't happen overnight. Clearly this was building and maybe last night was the tipping point. If the powers at be determined Nelson and his staff were not suitable for the job then maybe they were attempting to wait out the season because being 3rd in the East with games in hand was a good place. However the trajectory over last handful of games has not been good. Last night maybe accelerated all this.

I have to mention again what a terrible, terrible showing last night and the response from Nelson was pitiful. To be fair most press conferences where we were defeated rarely end in "We weren't good enough. I could have done this, that ect, to better prepare the team. I will do x,x,x next time. Instead it generally was down to "bad luck" or "other misfortune" that we lost. In some situations it definitely was but idk maybe last night was enough for TL and Bez and others involved.

Good on Bez and co. for doing what is necessary. Playoffs are no guarantee especially with the recent form. Do fire essential everybody (2/3 way through season) is a massive statement. Will it hurt us in the short term? Idk, lots of teams get boosts when new managers come in mid-season. However, since all coaches seemed to be canned how this all plays out in the short term will be intriguing (and probably painful)
    Last edited by pdubs; 08-31-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vanney is making more and more sense as iirc he is assistant gm so he is bezs guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1001 View Post
    Wow I was not expecting this! I thought they would give Nelsen until the end of the season before pulling the cord.
    I was going to say the same, but the way the team played yesterday clearly they lost faith in him. Watch Michael Bradley and maybe Dero next game and I guarantee that will tell you everything you need to know.

I think the whole "I'm a players kind of coach" thing only goes so far. Guys are sharks, if you can't hold their confidence they'll eat you alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After yesterday's loss, the cough ups by M.B., terrible back line performance, and 3 losses in a row (a draw at home is a freaking loss), being outscored in those matches 9 to 2... this was coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does anyone know how we can watch this announcement?

I don't see it up on their website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen fell out with KP and now he fell out with Bez. Don't see Bez as the issue here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Mr.Bez. Did you step up and get better players this summer transfer window? Goes both ways you know.

TL leaving absolutely had an effect on this.
    I totally get this POV and I don't think Bez should be getting a free pass on anything.

However, I question who wanted to go out and get the likes of Oduro and company. That did not make the team better IMO, it just steered us more towards the direction of playing with athleticism and without much skill.

Yes, our team needed to get more pace and athletic but that shouldn't have been done at the expense of football IQ. Our ability to break down a set defence currently is basically nil, because we don't have enough guys who make smart runs into space or have the skill on the ball to hit passes into the right places. We rely entirely on the counter attack, which is flawed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was a Nelsen fan and wanted to give him the chance to prove himself. Unfortunately since the All-star break we have seen this team plummet in their game.

Good move to sack him before the ship sank - but I will be interested to see who they bring in as his replacement. That will determine if this was the right move to make now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint View Post
    After yesterday's loss, the cough ups by M.B., terrible back line performance, and 3 losses in a row (a draw at home is a freaking loss), being outscored in those matches 9 to 2... this was coming.
    I think the team gave up on him. He can say he was protecting the players but the performance yesterday suggests they didn't have his back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be really interested to see how they set up under a new coach. If any new players are given starting spots, change if formation and positions, ect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugggh.... Davidson just dropped this nugget:

#torontofc fires Ryan Nelsen and entire coaching staff. Jermain Defoe could be next to go -- to QPR -- in fallout of Leiweke departure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I was a Nelsen fan and wanted to give him the chance to prove himself. Unfortunately since the All-star break we have seen this team plummet in their game.

Good move to sack him before the ship sank - but I will be interested to see who they bring in as his replacement. That will determine if this was the right move to make now.
    I hope it is an interm manager until they can get who they want. Mid season like this (start of seasons across Europe) is not a good time. Hopefully they take their time, do what you can to make the playoffs, but getting the right person and system is crucial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

call me crazy but id like to see de vos' name thrown in to the ring for the job

he has his badges and from his analysis has good understanding of the mls game as well. could also repair broken relationship with grassroots

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

#torontofc fires Ryan Nelsen and entire coaching staff. Jermain Defoe could be next to go -- to QPR -- in fallout of Leiweke departure.

If that happens, the wheels were already well in motion.

It wouldn't be the worst thing for this team. Massive number of draft picks and a replacement DP for Defoe… ideally a younger one.

Makes you wonder though if the wheels are in motion… how quickly would Defoe rush back to help TFC in the playoff (hunt)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it means getting a younger DP with a lot of talent this could be beneficial. We all knew the risks of getting an older player with reoccurring injuries. I'm okay with Defoe and that he will not play every game. However on the wrong side of 30, better to cut the chord quicker in this case then say someone like Gilberto because a lack in form. We know what Defoe is capable of. Maybe now would be the opportune time to part idk. Press wise, this of course would be a disaster unless another DP of the same name recognition was lined up immediately.

Certainly makes you think and wonder what exactly is going on behind the scenes lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley next season..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy if defoe leaves as well we're screwed

he can leave in jan but right now we can't replace him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this all goes to show how little we truly know about the goings on at the club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally get this POV and I don't think Bez should be getting a free pass on anything.
    This is very mixed for me. I certainly think we are not playing well, but keep in mind that Nelson came into a totally dysfunctional organization and, given the in-and-out with TL, one can say that MLSE is a larger, dysfunctional organization. Nelson wasn't just putting a team on the pitch, he had to effectively build something from almost nothing. His connections and contacts did more to improve the team than any other single thing when it came to acquisitions.

That said, the funk that we hit post All-Star break is on him and is shared with Bez, who did virtually nothing. Nelson's frustration yesterday wasn't professional, but then it seems that he was trying to defend his players. (And / or make excuses as he's known to do).

I'm torn with what to think. TFC should not be given the benefit of any doubt when it comes to our faith that they'll do the right thing, a smart thing, and a good thing. Let's hope that Bez proves that thinking to be faulty otherwise we are going to be living GroundHog Day again this season with "Maybe Next Year" come Halloween.

And we won't have TL to count on for coming up with a big (hope) save.