Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    you think Defoe will be here by tomorrow?

anything on the rumours Bradley also wants out?
    I don't think he will be. But I want to be wrong.

Bradley, I don't think there's anything yet. But it wouldn't surprise me if New York City came knocking next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    Did you speak to any players? Any perspective on reception within the team to the changes?
    No, none of the players were there, except Michael Bradley, who was just leaving when I got there.

I'm heading to training tomorrow or Tuesday, whenever they're open, and that's the angle for the stories that day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the whole coaching staff... Very rarely mid-season do you see a whole staff removed. Usually its a head coach and maybe his go to guy. Like even the goalkeeping coach? He wasnt even Nelly's guy.

I think it is already a challenging move to make so late, but by removing the whole staff, this late, its pretty much never happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Armen! What's the sentiment amongst the press corp? Saw Jmo Tweet and you second that this was a top 5 day in TFC - any particular reason? What about the professionalism of Vanney encourages you?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Why the whole coaching staff... Very rarely mid-season do you see a whole staff removed. Usually its a head coach and maybe his go to guy. Like even the goalkeeping coach? He wasnt even Nelly's guy.

I think it is already a challenging move to make so late, but by removing the whole staff, this late, its pretty much never happens.
    Only one member of the staff was given an option, Jason Bent, to return. I don't know if he's taking that option or not.

I think it's just to start on a clean slate. Though, to be honest, one or two of them had lost the confidence of the team/staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    *deeeeeep breath*

Today was a doozy.

If anyone has any questions about what happened, I'm here for about an hour or so.
    Do you think Vanney was always poised to take over from Nelsen when Bez got his chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    sorry, bringing back winter was supposed to be a joke. he is our worst coach ever.
    Worse than Mariner?

Worst why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Worse than Mariner?

Worst why?
    At least Mariner properly implemented his system. And in half the time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you allude to which ones those were? Brennan is obviously one of them...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    Thanks Armen! What's the sentiment amongst the press corp? Saw Jmo Tweet and you second that this was a top 5 day in TFC - any particular reason? What about the professionalism of Vanney encourages you?
    I liked Ryan Nelsen but at the same time, I think it was a smart move from Tim B. Nelsen is a good man and I would say he's a good leader. But I always found it hard to talk to him on level ground. Let me just put it this way; if he was a central defender for this team, he would be hands down the best captain this team has ever had. But as a coach, I think maybe he was out of his element.

Today was certainly crazy. I had no idea. Was getting ready to go out for dinner plans and then got an email saying "coaching announcement" so I rushed to the Kia Training Ground. It certainly was one of my top five days, too, in that it was unexpected. The Defoe news set us - and the fans - with a big cliffhanger, too.

I've only spoken with Vanney once before during a sit down with Tim B and himself at Real Sports and we talked Burger's Priest and Academy kids. But he has treated me with respect and I like what he's said about getting rid of back passes early in the match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Do you think Vanney was always poised to take over from Nelsen when Bez got his chance?
    No, I think he was hired to be the Academy director but it's a move that works for the club. I don't think Tim was simply looking for a crack to strike at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*deeeeeep breath*

Today was a doozy.

If anyone has any questions about what happened, I'm here for about an hour or so.
    Did Rachel get fired? we were getting better every year.. then she got hired.. and we went into the toilet.. clearly that is what the issue has been...

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

call me crazy but id like to see de vos' name thrown in to the ring for the job

he has his badges and from his analysis has good understanding of the mls game as well. could also repair broken relationship with grassroots
    Lulz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Armen - much appreciated!

Here's to Wednesday

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Can you allude to which ones those were? Brennan is obviously one of them...
    I spoke with Jim Brennan once in the last five years. Don't really know anything about him. But no, it's not him I'm referring to.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Did Rachel get fired? we were getting better every year.. then she got hired.. and we went into the toilet.. clearly that is what the issue has been...
    Rachel is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I think he was hired to be the Academy director but it's a move that works for the club. I don't think Tim was simply looking for a crack to strike at.
    Thanks for answering. Just one more.. Any news on the length of the contract vanney signed as head coach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Daily Mirror (a well known UK paper) already has rumours about Defoe

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ansfer-4141614

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

Don't you fucking bring Rachel into this! she's a saint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    At least Mariner properly implemented his system. And in half the time!
    Oh he did. And that system sucked terribly. Not to mention that Mariner didn't have to deal with a guy as filthy and dirty as himself backstabbing him while coaching.

Winter was trying to implement a completely different way of looking at the game…from the invention of the Academy and bringing it up through kids, all the way up to the senior men. And he was doing it at a club where he had to be perfect, had to play a game that the supporters love and had to deal with an Asst. Gm that was screwing him over to take his job. Which he did.

And what was Winter's reaction? Did he ever whine like Nelsen about his GM? Did he bitch like a child about the officiating? Was he bitter when he stepped down? Did he forget about this city/club and talk shit about them like others have done and I'm sure Nelsen will do or has already done (in private of course).

That's the difference. Winter was the best player before coach we had. The most trained coach we had. The most modern thinking coach we had. And the most professional and classy coach we had. He and Bob DeKlerk, if they were still here and were backed with what they wanted to do, would have made us a cutting edge team in MLS.

We may have had to watch a sufferable building stage but I had faith. Unfortunately our fan base prefers idiots like Nelsen base on where they played (and never ever coached).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for answering. Just one more.. Any news on the length of the contract vanney signed as head coach?
    Good question. I'll have to ask that one.

But Tim Bezbatchenko said he's the head coach indefinitely and that this is not an interim signing so I would imagine it's more than one year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    The Daily Mirror (a well known UK paper) already has rumours about Defoe

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ansfer-4141614
    Mirror is a rag and not worth the paper it is printed on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what I think might be more amusing. Attending the 2nd Annual Season Seat Holder BBQ and getting to ask the tough questions for TL, TB and our virgin coach or thinking of David Miller's smug face right now.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rachel is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/member.php?42155-molenshtain"
    molenshtain[/URL]]Don't you fucking bring Rachel into this! she's a saint.

I was half kidding. I just figure they fired everyone else.. and Armen was viaing for the same position. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question. I'll have to ask that one.

But Tim Bezbatchenko said he's the head coach indefinitely and that this is not an interim signing so I would imagine it's more than one year.
    Did Vanney make any mention of the style of play he'd like to have his team playing? What kind of coach will he be, tactically speaking?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Vanney make any mention of the style of play he'd like to have his team playing? What kind of coach will he be, tactically speaking?
    Yes.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...nleash-players

But to sum it up: no more negative football at the kick off, more aggression, midfield pressing closer to the back line, still in a 4-4-2 as the team is built that way, no new signings this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any word on where we are looking for assistants?

Bent, in my opinion, has signed back on since he is listed on the TFC updated website.
    Perhaps Dichio is ready for the big time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    sorry, bringing back winter was supposed to be a joke. he is our worst coach ever.
    Who said anything about bringing him back? No me, for one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...nleash-players

But to sum it up: no more negative football at the kick off, more aggression, midfield pressing closer to the back line, still in a 4-4-2 as the team is built that way, no new signings this year.
    He didnt say there werent going to be new signings 100%, just that he wasn't pushing for them or anything as he helped construct the current team and is focused on getting the most out of them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh he did. And that system sucked terribly. Not to mention that Mariner didn't have to deal with a guy as filthy and dirty as himself backstabbing him while coaching.

Winter was trying to implement a completely different way of looking at the game…from the invention of the Academy and bringing it up through kids, all the way up to the senior men. And he was doing it at a club where he had to be perfect, had to play a game that the supporters love and had to deal with an Asst. Gm that was screwing him over to take his job. Which he did.

And what was Winter's reaction? Did he ever whine like Nelsen about his GM? Did he bitch like a child about the officiating? Was he bitter when he stepped down? Did he forget about this city/club and talk shit about them like others have done and I'm sure Nelsen will do or has already done (in private of course).

That's the difference. Winter was the best player before coach we had. The most trained coach we had. The most modern thinking coach we had. And the most professional and classy coach we had. He and Bob DeKlerk, if they were still here and were backed with what they wanted to do, would have made us a cutting edge team in MLS.

We may have had to watch a sufferable building stage but I had faith. Unfortunately our fan base prefers idiots like Nelsen base on where they played (and never ever coached).
    Winter lost NINE FUCKING STRAIGHT GAMES TO START THE SEASON. he loved launching crossfield long balls to wingers. He decided that Andy Fucking Iro was the solution to our CB problem. it's a nice revisionist history you've built in your head there.

Nobody "prefers" Nelsen to anything. Above all else people here prefer a sustainable, winning team. I'm sure everyone here would prefer us to play great attacking football but I'm sure quite a few of us would settle for an intelligent counter-attacking team. Nelsen couldn't deliver either of those things while aiming to be both.

WInter was a fucking awful man-manager, an awful tactician, and couldn't get us playing on the ground worth shit despite this being his ultimate goal. He also did nothing to progress the likes of Cordon or Stinson, and decided that Attakora, our best Academy product to date, was too much of a head case to keep around and traded him for Alan fucking Gordon.

And winter did forget this city and avoids anyone that has anything to do with it or the club like the plague.

Get off your high horse. At the end of the day we all want the same thing you want.