Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Bez has done a very impressive job in improving the depth of the squad in the limited time he's been here.

You have to remember how impossbily shit this team was after Mariner. Even after the end of last year really.
    That works for the green GM but does work for the coach, too funny really, seriously i do wonder if this embarrassing mess created by management will be tolerated by Toronto's fickle supporters. the leafs are enough of an embarrassment without having two in town. Defoe has mentioned he did like the directions of the club with TL leaving in a UK paper, makes me wonder if his deal has been done, i wonder what other changes are in the wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Nelsen seemed perfectly willing to go at it after the game yesterday so no point in painting him as the innocent party. Let's remember that neither TFC or Nelsen can come out and fully talk about this (employment agreements being what they are).

Let's just stick to what we observed, which is a brutally lethargic team yesterday that was totally disinterested. I fully expect we'll play better after this and they will tell us everything we need to know about the validity of this move.
    I am not painting Nelsen as an innocent party, but the post I replied to quoted sources in the dressing room as cheering the news etc. Exactly the same thing was said about Payne. Its gossip, likely deliberate spin by MLSE and it needs to be called out for what it is - nasty.

I thought Nelsen was doing well until Bradley came back from the World Cup. Its gone sideways since then. Not sure that the firing is smart, but not calling it out either. Still doesn't need malicious gossip.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 08-31-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The average improvement in the EPL is 3 points. Almost always fails at this stage.
    fine. you can bang on as much as you want about situations where it didn't work at all like at Norwich or Wolves or Fulham, and I can bang on about situations where it did like at Palace, West Brom (hodgson for Di Matteo) or Liverpool (dalglish for Hodgson). There's usually only incremental improvement for teams firing there managers because the players are shit. This is blatantly not the case here.

My point is we have no idea what's going to happen. But the I know the players I saw on Saturday aren't nearly as bad as they played. a breath of fresh air and some tactical acumen could be exactly what this team needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well if that's true, I really hope that Vanney doesn't agitate anyone by suggesting that they can play better. The nerve eh?
    He doesn't know the first thing about motivation. Clearly it backfired based in the effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He doesn't know the first thing about motivation. Clearly it backfired based in the effort.
    You don't know that had anything to do with Bez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The Norwich example? The one in his avatar?
    Ha, that made me laugh finally. Congratulations on pulling that off today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=ag futbol;1691263]

Let's just stick to what we observed, which is a brutally lethargic team yesterday that was totally disinterested.

That just about sums up what we were commenting on after the game in the Pure Food Building. The last two home games have been a BIG disappointment. Let's hope we can move forward in a positive manner.
    J&M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, I liked Nelsen and what he was doing was working for about 1.5 seasons. I said in another post that he was our best manager ever (I still think he was) because of organizing us and making us hard to break down along with the fact that every other manager we had was shite (where are they know? Exactly). For a season and a half that worked great but you could see the cracks forming for about a month now. Not sure what happened but I think he lost the room. I defended Nelsen on here a lot but I admitted to myself at about 5:30 yesterday after watching another dazzling display of back passes and indifferent play that something was up and he was done. I am sure that press conference didn't help but I think Bez saw this back to back set with the Union coming and knew that with the way things were recently that we were going to blow these matches. I didn't want this change at all at this point but I also couldn't see us getting out of this tailspin either. I know very little about Vanney other than what he did with LA's academy so I can't judge anything but at least he pointed out a few of the problems I have been seeing over the past few weeks.

All in all I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and I am interested to see how the players, certain ones more than others, play going forward. That will say more than any post, tweet, or interweb conjecture. And I hope we don't totally shit the bed now either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"TFC fires coach"... The circus continues.

MLSE in scramble mode again? No?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changed the thread title, now that we know the announcement.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not going to lose sleep over Defoe either. Came over to play to make WC, hated MLS, got an offer for $11M from QPR and he goes home. It happens. In MLS you can't hold players back when bigger teams want to buy them so you just bite the bullet and hope Bez can make use of the $$$ we should get.

Shame though as I always liked Defoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to hope Vanney isn't really the full time coach going forward. Its an idiotic move to give the job yet again to another inexperienced person. This is just madness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm going to hope Vanney isn't really the full time coach going forward. Its an idiotic move to give the job yet again to another inexperienced person. This is just madness.
    We'll he does have his badges and did run a successful academy for what it's worth. That should at least count for something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was planned all along I think, you don't fire the entire staff without the next guy not being able to bring in his guys.

You know, there are guys like Schellas Hyndman still out there and available to coach, yet we once again decide to go this route. A significant investment in players deserves a significant investment in staff. I understand that its MLS, but this is like the 5-6th coach now for TFC with not a lot of prior credentials or pedigree.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-31-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We'll he does have his badges and did run a successful academy for what it's worth. That should at least count for something.
    Plus worked as an assistant to Robin Fraser at Chivas, all more things to do with coaching than Ryan Nelsen did before joining us
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bman27 View Post
    Plus worked as an assistant to Robin Fraser at Chivas, all more things to do with coaching than Ryan Nelsen did before joining us
    Which is a fair point. I just think after this long we deserve a little better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not going to lose sleep over Defoe either. Came over to play to make WC, hated MLS, got an offer for $11M from QPR and he goes home. It happens. In MLS you can't hold players back when bigger teams want to buy them so you just bite the bullet and hope Bez can make use of the $$$ we should get.

Shame though as I always liked Defoe.
    Imagine what we could do with 11million $$ plus that 6millionx4 wage bill. We could secure a pretty decent Pedro Morales for that money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just going back and remembering a sad part of the past and re-read this article that John Molinaro wrote. Pure class and wish things had gone better with him. Retrospectively….things didn't change much for Morgan.

Wonder if we'll ever see something like this with Nelsen. I doubt it. lol

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/molin...h-aron-winter/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    The penguins fired the coach and won the stanley cup that season so we can still make the playoffs
    The Kings also changed coaches the first time they won the cup. This is about the biggest difference between a league with playoffs and without.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have said from the beginning of the season that Nelson wouldn't last a season and I got criticized from people on this forum, Tim L made a big mistake keeping Nelson he should of got Bob Bradley from the beginning. Now I know Vanney is the coach now but next year count on it Bradley will be here. It would of been nice If they sent Henry packing too, horrible defender will never make it in anywhere, brutal all the points he cost us the last two seasons,I believe he was one of the nails in Nelsons coffin amongst other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc007 View Post
    I have said from the beginning of the season that Nelson wouldn't last a season and I got criticized from people on this forum, Tim L made a big mistake keeping Nelson he should of got Bob Bradley from the beginning. Now I know Vanney is the coach now but next year count on it Bradley will be here. It would of been nice If they sent Henry packing too, horrible defender will never make it in anywhere, brutal all the points he cost us the last two seasons,I believe he was one of the nails in Nelsons coffin amongst other things.
    Halfway through the season Doneil was leading the league in Interceptions, tackles and headers won. he's only 21.

Edit: by defenders

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*deeeeeep breath*

Today was a doozy.

If anyone has any questions about what happened, I'm here for about an hour or so.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc007 View Post
    And Bob Bradley was available/ willing to come here?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Winter's biggest problem's were:

1) He didn't understand the level of MLS
    2) He didn't understand north american players

I can believe his tactics would have worked if he better understood his environment and had a better ability to bring in players. Having a vision and implementing it are fundamentally different. I think Winter "gets it" he just doesn't fit here.
    sorry, bringing back winter was supposed to be a joke. he is our worst coach ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    *deeeeeep breath*

Today was a doozy.

If anyone has any questions about what happened, I'm here for about an hour or so.
    Thanks Armen. Can you speak to the "everyone's relieved" comment by K.J.? Any details on stuff behind closed doors w/ Nelsen, other than poor results?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*deeeeeep breath*

Today was a doozy.

Did you speak to any players? Any perspective on reception within the team to the changes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 wins out of the last 12 games. 1 win out of the last 6. They promised playoffs to us, and this is not the sort of record that will get us there. Paired with the dreadful performances in the last two games - the writing was on the wall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*deeeeeep breath*

Today was a doozy.

you think Defoe will be here by tomorrow?

anything on the rumours Bradley also wants out?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Thanks Armen. Can you speak to the "everyone's relieved" comment by K.J.? Any details on stuff behind closed doors w/ Nelsen, other than poor results?
    KJ had his own reasons for that comment and I won't speak on his behalf.

For me, personally, I liked Ryan but he is a very intimidating guy whereas Greg is much easier to talk to. It makes my job a lot easier in that aspect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    3 wins out of the last 12 games. 1 win out of the last 6. They promised playoffs to us, and this is not the sort of record that will get us there. Paired with the dreadful performances in the last two games - the writing was on the wall
    context like this is important. And yesterday's game was the final straw I suppose?