0 Thread(s)

More often they go the other way, Adebayor, Gallas etc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Hard to imagine a major Spurs player going to Arsenal. That would be a huge distraction, it's not Wenger's style. Has it ever happened?
    Very few, Sol Campbell for sure, also Rohan Ricketts.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I agree with all this. I'm not a defender of Nelsen's (no pun intended), and never liked his negative tactics. By he's also done fine for the most part and has got us in the position to have our best season and to make the playoffs. I wish they had waited to the close season - we are destabilizing the team right at the wrong moment. It rarely works that firing a coach this late on gets you success. I also fear that this doesn't really have much if anything to do with tactics. Vanney might tweak here and there but I don't see anything suggesting this is about fundamentally changing the style of play.
    Team was already distabilized, look at how they played on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they've signed Fabio Borini. That'll end the Defoe deal.

If Defoe stays he'll be the pro he is and score goals like he always has.
    Fabio Borini deal is not confirmed yet (is it?). According to the bookies it's still open to bets -- but at a price. Borini's odds of signing with QPR have shortened considerably (to 1.12). However, Defoe's odds of signing with QPR have also shortened (1.33) as they have for Arsenal transfer (4.3) . Defoe's odds of remaining with TFC (only one bookie offering) is 2.05
    Last edited by Commie Red; 09-01-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Team was already distabilized, look at how they played on Saturday.
    We looked fine against Chicago and should have taken the 3 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neil Crawford@Neil1892 11m
    SSN reporter "Jermaine Defoe understood to be disillusioned with the [MLS] league" - A big embarassment for #MLS and #TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supembarassment?[COLOR=#292F33
    eil Crawford@Neil1892 11m[/COLOR]
    SSN reporter "Jermaine Defoe understood to be disillusioned with the [MLS] league" - A big embarassment for #MLS and #TFC

Why a big embarassment?.....seems to me he never really was committed from the get go.....Beckham, henry, Keane,Cesar, etc have no problems with the league....good riddance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Neil Crawford@Neil1892 11m
    Not surprised at all. Look at how he gets treated in matches by opposing players and see what calls he gets. It really is a joke. Yes he's small but he has been taking more than his share of elbows on through and long balls all season. I get that a lot of MLS defenders and mids need to rely on athleticism and physicality to contain skilled attacking players but if you ever want the league to be a top ten league or whatever Garber said then you need to steer it away from ham n' eager meathead challenging and allow skilled players the freedom to play football. Either that or give up on the whole big name DP thing and accept that it will be just another Scottish PL or Championship level and styled league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We looked good for 45 minutes, then we completely collapsed into a shell of negative tactics and let them take the game to us. We got a freak second goal, great play between Gilberto-Moore notwithstanding we are lucky that clearance landed directly on our CF's foot, because otherwise we were so slow and disinterested in buildup play there was never any space or attackers committed forward. That's against a not so fantastic Chicago side minus Mike Magree as well.

There have been some strange coaching decisions along the way here too, let's not forget that. What on earth were they thinking putting Jackson at RB with the rest of the defensive line? Sure, he played there previously for prior teams but it was obvious from the moment he took the field that he didn't have any cohesion with the rest of his teammates. And not only did it happen, but we failed to correct it when it was obvious he was overwhelmed. Those are things a good coach would realize in practice without jeopardizing results during a game.

I understand your argument that a coaching change, in general, doesn't lead to increased results. But in this case, we're not talking about just any coaching change. We're talking about one where the team is under performing compared to it's talent level and the coach has made tactical decisions that have hurt the squad. He's being replaced with a guy who said he's going to make tweaks as opposed to reinvent the wheel, which is relatively prudent IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I posted in the player movement thread last week, Defoe had already been talking to clubs in England about moving. Also, if you have followed his career, wouldn't be the first time he has been unhappy and forced a move from his club. I am not really surprised it happened again. I also won't be surprised if he does move and is all of a sudden injury free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ian Dennis@Iandennisbbc
    This might be a long shot but hearing whispers of Leicester City interest in Jermaine Defoe #LCFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't help that MLS refs suck sooo bad now does it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    As I posted in the player movement thread last week, Defoe had already been talking to clubs in England about moving. Also, if you have followed his career, wouldn't be the first time he has been unhappy and forced a move from his club. I am not really surprised it happened again. I also won't be surprised if he does move and is all of a sudden injury free.
    Oh I am sure he isn't injured. Looked fine going off against the Fire. They didn't want to risk him getting hurt against the Revs with the window closing and probably let him fly to England earlier this week to take medicals too. And yes you are right, it is his style to up and leave as soon as something doesn't suit his liking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bookies previously had no bets on Defoe to Leicester City. Just now they are Evens (2.0) on Betfair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but people forget about all that. Can't believe people are still blaming the coach for everything...seriously have their blinkers on. Clearly a lot went down this prior week, the players, especially Bradly didn't respond and I think a lot less of him because of it.

I hope Defoe does get out as he certainly has been one of the more consistent players and why would he not be frustrated. In particular because with TL leaving the influence for the vision is gone. The refs have been silly with fouls allowed against him, not to mention players not passing/inability to pass to him on clear opportunities.

We move on with the mess..he has the right not to waste his time in a finite career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We looked good for 45 minutes, then we completely collapsed into a shell of negative tactics and let them take the game to us. We got a freak second goal, great play between Gilberto-Moore notwithstanding we are lucky that clearance landed directly on our CF's foot, because otherwise we were so slow and disinterested in buildup play there was never any space or attackers committed forward. That's against a not so fantastic Chicago side minus Mike Magree as well.

There have been some strange coaching decisions along the way here too, let's not forget that. What on earth were they thinking putting Jackson at RB with the rest of the defensive line? Sure, he played there previously for prior teams but it was obvious from the moment he took the field that he didn't have any cohesion with the rest of his teammates. And not only did it happen, but we failed to correct it when it was obvious he was overwhelmed. Those are things a good coach would realize in practice without jeopardizing results during a game.

I understand your argument that a coaching change, in general, doesn't lead to increased results. But in this case, we're not talking about just any coaching change. We're talking about one where the team is under performing compared to it's talent level and the coach has made tactical decisions that have hurt the squad. He's being replaced with a guy who said he's going to make tweaks as opposed to reinvent the wheel, which is relatively prudent IMO.
    I get all that. I'm also not one of Nelsen's biggest supporters but I can't get past the craziness of doing this with 10 games to go. We could have waited to the close season, did a proper search and maybe bring in a "DP" coach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Doesn't help that MLS refs suck sooo bad now does it
    It plays a part for sure. Skilled players probably don't feel protected. Seeing some plastic pitches during the season will probably also sour the views of some players on MLS' quality and coupled with the poor officiating probably make some players question the seriousness of MLS' claims to be working towards becoming a top league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    I hope Defoe does get out as he certainly has been one of the more consistent players and why would he not be frustrated. In particular because with TL leaving the influence for the vision is gone. The refs have been silly with fouls allowed against him, not to mention players not passing/inability to pass to him on clear opportunities.

We move on with the mess..he has the right not to waste his time in a finite career.
    Give me a break. He came here for the money, he gets everything that comes with it. If he was too stupid to realize everything that was involved that's his problem. Last I checked many of his peers are sticking around this league and doing just fine.

Let's face it, if he leaves now you can't blame it on the firing of Ryan Nelsen or the league. We threw too much money at someone who simply wasn't committed and are now paying for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still dont understand why the job wasnt opened up to a proper process lots of great coaches out of a job right now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get all that. I'm also not one of Nelsen's biggest supporters but I can't get past the craziness of doing this with 10 games to go. We could have waited to the close season, did a proper search and maybe bring in a "DP" coach.
    I totally agree with the timing and all but what if we closed out the season on the pace we set now? Let's even be nice and say we pulled out 2 wins and 2 draws out of these last 10 matches. Yes, we'd have our highest point total ever but we'd accomplish nothing and present player morale would be horrible. It would also look bad in firing everyone on the staff after having our best season ever while dealing with countless injuries. Just excuses. If anything Bez should have done this a month ago. If they saw it coming then why not? Plus then Vanney or whoever could have done a move or two while the window was open. It is what it is though and only time will tell if it will make any difference for this season.

For the record I don't think we'd have gotten 8 points out of the 30 on the table without the change either. Not after what I saw Saturday. I think we were ready to spiral into oblivion. Maybe we still are. We'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Didn't he do something like this in Portsmouth? I say let him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to love multi millionaire players bitching and moaning. You're made of glass Defoe, good riddance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This move may end up saving Ashtone Morgan's career, by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bookie update: Defoe to QPR odds plummet on SkyBet to 1.2 . Now tied with Fabio Borini to QPR odds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Still dont understand why the job wasnt opened up to a proper process lots of great coaches out of a job right now
    I guess because Vanney has knowledge of players, system, facilities, etc. and the transition would be easier and more seamless as we have 2 matches this week. Anyone else would have took more time to acclimatize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give me a break. He came here for the money, he gets everything that comes with it. If he was too stupid to realize everything that was involved that's his problem. Last I checked many of his peers are sticking around this league and doing just fine.

Let's face it, if he leaves now you can't blame it on the firing of Ryan Nelsen or the league. We threw too much money at someone who simply wasn't committed and are now paying for it.
    Totally agree, I can't believe people making it seem Defoe is blameless. Also, as someone mentioned before Defoe has a history of moving, not being content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't see firing a coach with 10 games to go in a playoff race to be shocking, whether they don't like him or not? Find that hard to believe if they are serious soccer watchers.
    It's Toronto, maybe they're serious hockey fans, it's a move that has worked many times in the NHL. In fact, the Leafs should have done it last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we'll find out if it works. Agreed I would rather have a DP coach, we deserve nothing less. The press should be all over the fact that TFC has again put inexperienced people at the helm. I thought it was highly ironic that yesterday's presser was conducted in front of a half-assed table, with dull lighting, and two lonely staffers. It looked like the budget cuts have already started at TFC.

Now that being said, when Michael Bradley is jogging around the park like a Sunday pickup game and the coach won't take that on by subbing him... I don't think anything positive can happen when we've reached that point. If the coach can't control his players then he's made himself redundant. Shame on Bradley for acting that way, he looks worse than Nelsen, save the post comments.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-01-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand why this was done. We have dropped point we should not have dropped. We have not won in 13 games. That is not good enough. I was not completely anti-Nelsen, but he was still a question mark for me, I think if I was in the front office I may have done the same. The key is who do you get in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would never give you a break. No one said the money wasn't a consideration, no need to be leading as well, it took vision, personal contacts, a world cup and money to get any quality players to even look at us. Defoe has certainly been more consistent with his performance than most of this team. Keep the blinkers on.