Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Any word on where we are looking for assistants?

Bent, in my opinion, has signed back on since he is listed on the TFC updated website.
    Perhaps Dichio is ready for the big time...
    None that I know of. But a number of the academy coaches were in attendance to watch. They seemed happy. Maybe some of them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Winter lost NINE FUCKING STRAIGHT GAMES TO START THE SEASON. he loved launching crossfield long balls to wingers. He decided that Andy Fucking Iro was the solution to our CB problem. it's a nice revisionist history you've built in your head there.

Nobody "prefers" Nelsen to anything. Above all else people here prefer a sustainable, winning team. I'm sure everyone here would prefer us to play great attacking football but I'm sure quite a few of us would settle for an intelligent counter-attacking team. Nelsen couldn't deliver either of those things while aiming to be both.

WInter was a fucking awful man-manager, an awful tactician, and couldn't get us playing on the ground worth shit despite this being his ultimate goal. He also did nothing to progress the likes of Cordon or Stinson, and decided that Attakora, our best Academy product to date, was too much of a head case to keep around and traded him for Alan fucking Gordon.

And winter did forget this city and avoids anyone that has anything to do with it or the club like the plague.

Get off your high horse. At the end of the day we all want the same thing you want.
    Sorry you're so angry but I was replying to someone who said that Winter was our worst coach ever. I just disagree. I think Mariner was shameful and that Nelsen isn't even a coach.

As for revisionist history….I remember the record. It sucked but I expected that because the growth, I thought, would be slow. I remember us losing game after game but I also remember the cohesion on the team improving here and there. Players had spurts of games where you could tell they were buying in to the system. These long balls you're talking about I don't remember as a constant thing. Maybe that's my bias blinding my memory. Sorry for that.

But if you gave Winter and DeKlerk the spending on players at the level of Defoe and Gilberto and Bradley…and gave them the control and lack of backstabbing that Nelsen was given…and gave them time to implement a whole new way of thinking….I think we'd be a good team right now. And a team that was developing players here at home, that help the TFC squad win games in league play, CCL play AND supply newly trained talent to the national team programs.

That's what I hope for. Instead we got the same drama and garbage that we had from season 1 on. And thats what we're back to…in the middle of season 8.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen was pretty off the reservation yesterday, he knows not to do that, so why did he do it? It must have been for good reason. Maybe Ol Arry has offered him a job, so with that in his pocket he decided to precipitate a showdown because he wanted Bez out, and if he couldn't get that he wanted out himself and he wanted severance. Wouldn't be the first time.

But the fact that Bez won a showdown with Nelsen means nothing. I feel very sad. I suspect we may mail it in for more games than just Saturday's. Bez, post-Leiweke, is the lamest of lame ducks himself, a Doogie Howzer who just hired another Doogie Howzer.

I wish I could see the look on the players faces when Bez tells them everything is stable, he's a control here. It'll look something like this.

Last edited by ensco; 08-31-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ensco, maybe RN felt he was immune? Anyways, here's an interesting bit of insight from Paul Attfield of the Globe: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle20290806/

On Nelsen's power:

When Bezbatchenko was hired almost a year ago, it was laid out in no uncertain terms that this was Nelsen’s project, and he was hired to manage the salary cap and utilize his extensive MLS head office contacts and experience to put TFC in the best position for success.

Nelsen, in tandem with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. president and CEO Tim Leiweke, was the one calling the shots, and this season has been case in point on that front.

On trades made thus far:

All four trades that TFC has made so far – the acquisitions of Collen Warner, Luke Moore, Dominic Oduro and Warren Creavalle – were Nelsen moves, moves that Bezbatchenko opposed on each occasion.

On Nelsen's relationship with Michael Bradley:

Both Defoe and Michael Bradley have expressed dissatisfaction with how training sessions are run in comparison with leagues such as the English Premier League and Serie A.

Bradley and Nelsen have had a rocky relationship at times, and after starting his TFC career with some sterling performances earlier this year, Bradley’s patience with Nelsen’s tactical acumen and methods began to run thin, with the pair having had to have private meetings to clear the air.

On Vanney and believe it or not John Carver:

While Vanney has no interim tag on his head-coaching appointment, whether or not he makes the playoffs will be key to his long-term future in Toronto. … there will likely be no shortage of experienced coaches vying for the gig down the road, with former TFC head coach John Carver – and current Newcastle United assistant coach – having expressed a keen interest in returning to his old position in a text message on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Did Rachel get fired? we were getting better every year.. then she got hired.. and we went into the toilet.. clearly that is what the issue has been...
    This!! Too much shrill pregame and at half time has put the player's under pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit, I'd take Carver back in a fucking second. AS LONG AS he comprehends the things that made him crazy before are probably even worse now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Atfield (Globe and Mail) suggesting Tim B. hired as cap guy, roster decisions have been Nelsen's from the start. Wouldn't it be nice if they would actually clarify things like this before people get fired?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-31-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnny "concrete" Carver!

Holy shit we are in a time warp.

Also glad to have my avatar relevant again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

On trades made thus far:

All four trades that TFC has made so far – the acquisitions of Collen Warner, Luke Moore, Dominic Oduro and Warren Creavalle – were Nelsen moves, moves that Bezbatchenko opposed on each occasion.
    Is this really true? Because I thought all of these were good moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ensco, maybe RN felt he was immune? Anyways, here's an interesting bit of insight from Paul Attfield of the Globe: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle20290806/

On Nelsen's power:

When Bezbatchenko was hired almost a year ago, it was laid out in no uncertain terms that this was Nelsen’s project, and he was hired to manage the salary cap and utilize his extensive MLS head office contacts and experience to put TFC in the best position for success.

Nelsen, in tandem with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. president and CEO Tim Leiweke, was the one calling the shots, and this season has been case in point on that front.

On trades made thus far:

Both Defoe and Michael Bradley have expressed dissatisfaction with how training sessions are run in comparison with leagues such as the English Premier League and Serie A.

Bradley and Nelsen have had a rocky relationship at times, and after starting his TFC career with some sterling performances earlier this year, Bradley’s patience with Nelsen’s tactical acumen and methods began to run thin, with the pair having had to have private meetings to clear the air.

While Vanney has no interim tag on his head-coaching appointment, whether or not he makes the playoffs will be key to his long-term future in Toronto. … there will likely be no shortage of experienced coaches vying for the gig down the road, with former TFC head coach John Carver – and current Newcastle United assistant coach – having expressed a keen interest in returning to his old position in a text message on Sunday.
    Wow. Crazy interesting.

Now somebody text Winter and DeKlerk. Hahahaha. I kid I kid. (kinda lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Is this really true? Because I thought all of these were good moves.
    Only one of 3 I liked kinda. And that's Moore. He's been decent but one dimensional.

Creavalle isn't nice to criticize cause he's been hurt too much to say.

Warner is pointless if Bradley is gonna be the link between the back line and strikers AND the guy who will play as the DM.

Oduro is brutal. Exactly the type of player I'd never want on my team. Speed and nothing else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think John Carver is going to be on their agenda. He's just a better version of Nelsen really. Tactically they are very similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carver?! Wouldn't that be something! At least the man had passion for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised Carver would want to come back. I thought he hated coaching in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Only one of 3 I liked kinda. And that's Moore. He's been decent but one dimensional.

Warner is pointless if Bradley is gonna be the link between the back line and strikers AND the guy who will play as the DM.

Oduro is brutal. Exactly the type of player I'd never want on my team. Speed and nothing else.
    Couldn't agree more.

Warner is a huge square peg being forced into a round hole playing next to bradley. He doesn't complement him well at all.

I think Creavalle could be a highly useful player. But in midfield, not on the backline.

I hated Moore and dug in against it but I'll admit I'm wrong. He fits in well with the team but is probably not a starter in an ideal world.

Oduro is terrible. He has no end product to his game whatsoever and fails to make simple football decisions that hurt our ability to move the ball /service our forwards. They day they trade him I will take as a sign of progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't think John Carver is going to be on their agenda. He's just a better version of Nelsen really. Tactically they are very similar.
    Agreed.

Why not someone with the same mindset at Benito Floro? I'd like that.

If Vanney thinks that kind of footy is the way to play I'm okay with him. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The spin doctors are at work. Nelson is being portrayed in a bad light. Got to question how all this great info that the Globe reporter spews out wasn't released earlier. It would have been a great story a few weeks ago to share the news that Nelson has crappy practices, didn't get along with Bradley etc. The timing seems suspect or maybe a little bit of spoon feeding is going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not like Leiweke hasn't lied to us in the past, but still worth sharing. (Sorry if this has been posted)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tor...4694--sow.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#notsurprisingivenpostgamepresser

He backed Bez into a corner. Hats off to Bez for making a very defining call.
    hats off to bez..... maybe instead of sacking coaches he can find a winger who can pass. a central midfielder who doesn't pass sideways or backwards, and a central defender who can defend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are seriously fooling themselves if they think this has anything to do with tactical reasons. Bez doesn't know the first thing about tactics. He's never played, coached, or otherwise had any history in soccer other than writing and signing contracts. This is all about comments made after a game last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    People are seriously fooling themselves if they think this has anything to do with tactical reasons. Bez doesn't know the first thing about tactics. He's never played, coached, or otherwise had any history in soccer other than writing and signing contracts. This is all about comments made after a game last night.
    100 percent in agreement. Sort of sad if a decision that could affect our playoff chances was made because his feelings were hurt.
    Last edited by Lumpy; 08-31-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Nelsen made those trades, I want him back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carver actually likes it here. Wasn't he in town not that long ago at the training ground? I remember watching a video made by one of the TFC media employees with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    There is absolutely no way he could even get approval for such a thing without laying groundwork with the people above him. He briefly played USL pro, not that it particularly matters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There is absolutely no way he could even get approval for such a thing without laying groundwork with the people above him. He briefly played USL pro, not that it particularly matters.
    This right here plus as more comes out it seems like this was brewing for a bit. Looks like the Friday Bez challenge maybe wasn't directed at the players like most thought but to Nelsen instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Carver actually likes it here. Wasn't he in town not that long ago at the training ground? I remember watching a video made by one of the TFC media employees with him.
    great coach, not a manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This right here plus as more comes out it seems like this was brewing for a bit. Looks like the Friday Bez challenge maybe wasn't directed at the players like most thought but to Nelsen instead.
    maybe, if that's the case, sack Tim B, what does he do anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    hats off to bez..... maybe instead of sacking coaches he can find a winger who can pass. a central midfielder who doesn't pass sideways or backwards, and a central defender who can defend
    Yeah exactly, lets hide the truth, although I think half the people here are backoffice TFC hacks..they would not have professional PR:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Nelsen's power:

On trades made thus far:

this stuff is huge. I hadn't seen it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

Oduro is an upgrade on Rey at the end of the day, which is what we gave up to get him. You know if we get rid of him he'll go succeed somewhere else.

For Warner, that's true, but that's on Nelsen. We saw his quality when we got him and Bradley wasn't around. He's a solid player.

Creavalle looked good in the little he's played and was used regularly by Houston, a team that's always at least middle of the pack.

Listen, none of them are world beaters, but we gave up allocation order, a guy who's no longer in the league, Nakajima-Farran, and our 5th string CB for the lot. Not exactly spilled milk.