Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the attendance is, over/under in my mind is 10K.
    I'd take the over I expect a large crowd especially with Jamaica fans coming in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    I'd take the over I expect a large crowd especially with Jamaica fans coming in.
    Yep people who live in Canada full time, with a Canadian passport, who might have even been born here and never left the country in their whole lives... booing Canadian Players. Which is why I don't go to Friendlies in Canada.. it frustrates me too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Yep people who live in Canada full time, with a Canadian passport, who might have even been born here and never left the country in their whole lives... booing Canadian Players. Which is why I don't go to Friendlies in Canada.. it frustrates me too much.
    I hear ya its tough. However the more people that take that attitude we start to lose the war. We should be taking any chance to support this program and our country.

I had such a blast at the U20 WC this year it was great. If everyone just stepped up and supported the Canadian program as much as TFC, there EPL ect teams we could pack that place in a sea of red.

One can dream.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If everyone just stepped up and supported the Canadian program as much as TFC, there EPL ect teams we could pack that place in a sea of red.
    Gospel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear ya its tough. However the more people that take that attitude we start to lose the war. We should be taking any chance to support this program and our country.

I had such a blast at the U20 WC this year it was great. If everyone just stepped up and supported the Canadian program as much as TFC, there EPL ect teams we could pack that place in a sea of red.

One can dream.
    Sadly 5 years in Brampton has drained me of having anything to do with this attitude I have to deal with it way too often. Thankfully I'm leaving this ridiculous city soon and maybe my tolerances will go up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you know where they're born...? It's soccer. Sport is for fun, don't get so riled up that ppl want to cheer for their home country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supporting View Post
    How do you know where they're born...? It's soccer. Sport is for fun, don't get so riled up that ppl want to cheer for their home country.
    Sorry you live in Canada then this is your home and you should be supporting it. Unfortunately that is not the case the majority of the time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canad...aica-friendly/

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-m...-match-p156832

CANADA
    GK- Kenny Stamatopoulos | SWE / AIK
    GK- Milan Borjan | unattached / sans club
    GK- Quillan Roberts | CAN / Toronto FC
    D- Nik Ledgerwood | GER / Energie Cottbus
    D- Andre Hainault | GER / VfR Aalen
    D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
    D- Dejan Jakovic | JPN / Shimizu S-Pulse
    D- Adam Straith | unattached / sans club
    D- Karl W. Ouimette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    D- Jeremy Gagnon-Laparé | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    D- David Edgar | ENG / Birmingham City FC
    M- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
    M- Julian de Guzman | unattached / sans club
    M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / Santa Clara
    M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
    M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Besiktas
    M- Marcel de Jong | GER / Augsburg
    M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    M- Patrice Bernier | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    F-Tosaint Ricketts | ISR / Hapoel Haifa
    F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Coventry City
    F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Crewe Alexandra
    F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Stuttgarter Kickers
    F- Dwayne De Rosario | CAN / Toronto FC
    Thanks for posting this, Yohan!

No Oso is disappointing but taking the hit this once is appreciated.

I'll be selling tix to this in 112 tomorrow at the game and at Joe's afterward. I'll be the guy in the Brennan Addidas Canada kit. But not for long. I'll be ordering my new DeGuzman shirt tonight in respect for the brother who played.

I'm incredibly excited for the return home for the team. This will be the only time this year to see them live.

Those that made it to the U-20W tourney now know that getting Canada Support to grow means getting people in the stadium first. How people support by the time the whistle blows is in our hands as well.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Support of country is very tribal. People wonder why I don't support the English, even though my parents were born there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually quite upset Henry and Morgan were called up for a FRIENDLY.

Club before Country, at this point in the season, and with such a meaningless game against Jamaica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    They're training in Toronto at TFC practice facility, so I fail to see how they will miss Philly game. If anything, Osorio can join Canada camp after Philly game to get couple of days of practice before Jamaica game.
    The team will start to assemble on 31 August at the Nottawasaga Inn Resort in Alliston, ON. So they are training away from Toronto and would miss a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read taht we're missing our players for both Philly games. This is terrible in my opinion. We need Henry and Morgan right now especially considering our rash of injuries at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that's fair. There is a big difference between cheering for Greece or Jamaica and booing Canada. There is very little of the latter, although I was booing my TV in that 8-1 debacle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

Club before Country, at this point in the season, and with such a meaningless game against Jamaica.
    Totally agree. CSA not helpful here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really believe what country you support on the footy pitch is yours only. It really is that simple. Not one should be told to do anything on this matter. It will be interesting to see what the vibe is like at BMO for the game.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Totally agree. CSA not helpful here.
    MLS not helpful with the schedule. Let's remember the rest of the world works around FIFA dates.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really believe what country you support on the footy pitch is yours only. It really is that simple. Not one should be told to do anything on this matter. It will be interesting to see what the vibe is like at BMO for the game.
    Does that go for club as well, for you?

Everyone gets to deal with that decision to cheer for opposition/away club/team.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-29-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Remember when Nelsen chewed out the CSA last year for calling up a bunch of our guys when we needed them? Osorio not going now is the result of that. And I'm damn happy about it, we need him badly and this isn't an important game for the national team. Good on the CSA and TFC for working something out this time.

TFC has done more for the national team than the other canadian MLS clubs. Montreal is picking up their slack lately with developing young Canadians, it's Vancouver that is doing almost nothing.
    In Vancouvers defence (which I hate to admit), they have done more than anyone else for the CWNT.
    Nice to see there is only 3 members of Unattached FC being called up.
    That's my team too!
    But I didn't get a callup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    For tournaments, yes. For friendlies, no.
    But if we don't then we'll have the excuse/complaints during the GC and WCQ that our team doesn't play enough games together and that it's the CSA's fault that they don't play enough games, blah blah blah, etc. etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morgan has played 1 minute all year for us. That's just awful.

As for club before country. I disagree. Always have. Especially considering we're awful as a nation. TFC should be helping football in this nation. But….just like the place that is cheered for most by the supporters who are catered to by TFC….TFC just doesn't have a vision beyond making money. I once thought they did….but they don't….and we as TFC supporters will one day have to come and realize that we wear some of the blame of our country sucking at a sport we love.

Assume what I mean by all of that. You'll be right. Hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One can dream.
    I've disagreed with you on a number of things but I love what you just wrote. I totally agree. I love supporting our nation, whether it be men or women, young or national teams.

I wish we had some more of it.

I hate to say it….but the club over country mentality comes from specific places….and I don't care if it works there….it hasn't worked in our country….ever. It's time to put our CMNT at the top of the list of priorities when it comes to footy.

Just my take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I've disagreed with you on a number of things but I love what you just wrote. I totally agree. I love supporting our nation, whether it be men or women, young or national teams.

I wish we had some more of it.

I hate to say it….but the club over country mentality comes from specific places….and I don't care if it works there….it hasn't worked in our country….ever. It's time to put our CMNT at the top of the list of priorities when it comes to footy.

Just my take.
    By your logic wouldn't it be in everyone's best interests the important TFC players like Henry stay with the club so that they can get valuable playing time. They're in the midst of a late season push to the playoffs where all the players are giving it their all. Instead they're going to play for the NT in a friendly situation. Let the players play in more meaningful games so they get the experience they need to perform for their country.

You'll notice the USA NT callups are mostly from Europe where the players have a break in their schedule and are just at the start of their seasons. How many MLS players made that roster??? Meanwhile up here we've gutted TFC at a critical point ... to play against Jamaica in a friendly.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By your logic wouldn't it be in everyone's best interests the important TFC players like Henry stay with the club so that they can get valuable playing time. They're in the midst of a late season push to the playoffs where all the players are giving it their all. Instead they're going to play for the NT in a friendly situation. Let the players play in more meaningful games so they get the experience they need to perform for their country.

You'll notice the USA NT callups are mostly from Europe where the players have a break in their schedule and are just at the start of their seasons. How many MLS players made that roster??? Meanwhile up here we've gutted TFC at a critical point ... to play against Jamaica in a friendly.

Still the leagues fault. I want Canada to take every opportunity to improve. They don't find chemistry with each other at their different respective clubs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You underline it like we're england or spain. This is Canada and Jamaica is a game we need to win. They haven't played in Toronto since 2012 and haven't won since then either. Also, people are excited about TFC but not Canada and that has to change if soccer in this country, club or country, is ever going to turn the corner.

Also, everything FYR says is correct. MLS doesn't have to adopt the FIFA entire sked, but it's their fault they play during international breaks.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    You underline it like we're england or spain. This is Canada and Jamaica is a game we need to win. They haven't played in Toronto since 2012 and haven't won since then either. Also, people are excited about TFC but not Canada and that has to change if soccer in this country, club or country, is ever going to turn the corner.

Also, everything FYR says is correct. MLS doesn't have to adopt the FIFA entire sked, but it's their fault they play during international breaks.
    Great point.

Jamaica, Honduras, Panama, this is the region we're in and people following our team should be aware of how good a matchup this is for us. There's the US and Mexico but really we need to look to beating the teams below them in the region first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post

I agree on the MLS front and scheduling. But this is not a must-win game. This is a friendly. I want the Country to do well and if this was a more meaningful game.. by all means. Take all the best players. I mean why are 5 TFC players going to this while guys like Alemen (not even on the bench for his club), Piette, Petrasso, Carreiro not getting called in? Surely some of these guys are better than Morgan and Bekker and even the aging DeRo.

Country over Club when it actually matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. Not to start this debate all over again, but If we're going to encourage support for canmt we need to get rid of this antagonistic attitude and respect the complex reasons why some may choose to support their home countries.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Absolutely. Not to start this debate all over again, but If we're going to encourage support for canmt we need to get rid of this antagonistic attitude and respect the complex reasons why some may choose to support their home countries.
    It's okay. As far as I'm concerned that debate arrived at a new height of understanding after the U20W tourney.

But full disclosure that's not what's being stated in the top quote and has nothing to do with citizenship or "home country". Different animal entirely as far as I know.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-29-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree on the MLS front and scheduling. But this is not a must-win game. This is a friendly. I want the Country to do well and if this was a more meaningful game.. by all means. Take all the best players. I mean why are 5 TFC players going to this while guys like Alemen (not even on the bench for his club), Piette, Petrasso, Carreiro not getting called in? Surely some of these guys are better than Morgan and Bekker and even the aging DeRo.

Country over Club when it actually matters.
    I think saying 5 players is strategic. We're losing one plauer that Nelsen values in any way at all.

One.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think saying 5 players is strategic. We're losing one plauer that Nelsen values in any way at all.

One.
    Well that's just it. It really is only one player that we regularly use, everything else is incidental. TFC needs to be a little more pragmatic in that regard. Reminds me of recalling Roberts to round out the back end of the bench ...which was pretty dumb as well if you ask me.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One.
    Lets also remember that we lost our LB in Morrow due to injury so really its two possible starters. Your point stands though.

I hate the timing of this given the injuries and importance of the games for TFC. Yes, we could in MLS be more observant of the FIFA schedule but we did take a 3 week break for the wc and go on a month long road trip (not easy for any team) for the Womans U20wc. I do like that something was worked out to keep Osorio though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil