Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Absolutely. Not to start this debate all over again, but If we're going to encourage support for canmt we need to get rid of this antagonistic attitude and respect the complex reasons why some may choose to support their home countries.
    This was my inner monologue after reading this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Absolutely. Not to start this debate all over again, but If we're going to encourage support for canmt we need to get rid of this antagonistic attitude and respect the complex reasons why some may choose to support their home countries.
    I said my bit. And I choose not to go, that is my right... They have the right to cheer for anyone they want. I don't have the right to pour my beer on them, for shitting on the nation that they choose to live in... so I don't go. (cheering against Canada if you hold a Canadian passport is a problem for me and I'm allowed to have that problem... a Canada Jamaica or Canada China game shouldn't be 40% or less Canadian support. The CMNT shouldn't be playing in Canada and facing an away crowd.)

As such I don't go, because for me after 5 years living in a city where I see this behaviour regularly, my tolerance for it is very low. As I said before Once I move and I get away from this craptastic city my tolerance for it might come back.

I don't suggest anyone shouldn't go. It is my choice not to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Sorry you live in Canada then this is your home and you should be supporting it. Unfortunately that is not the case the majority of the time.
    So you're saying if your job had you move to seattle, you would cheer for the sounder's and Murica?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supporting View Post
    So you're saying if your job had you move to seattle, you would cheer for the sounder's and Murica?
    Would your job have you give up where you grew up and learned about the game?

I understand there are lots of people who have moved to Canada for whatever reason as adults. I get that they cheer for their home country. But I'm talking about those of us who were born and raised here. We may have been shown the sport by our families who learned about it in another country but so what.

I'm Italian. Both parents born there. I've cheered for Italy at every world cup since I was a child. My father was a great player and good coach and the reason why I fell in love with this sport. I grew up watching Serie A and EPL and and and….Soccer Saturday was amazing.

All that being said…I was also taken to watch the Blizzard. I was also taken to see the Moblios's and Lenarduzzi's and all the CMNT as a child. To this day if Canada ever makes it to the World Cup I will travel anywhere in the world to support them. And if they were drawn in to the same group as Italy I will love to go and cheer on Canada and hope they destroy Italy. It's just how I am.

I just can't stomach that we're getting worse and worse in this country on the football scale. Countries like the US and Australia that were at the same level (or below us) when I was a child have passed us and its shameful.

And I think thats because of our mentality here. Because we don't put Canada first. I'm not saying we need to drop our "home" or "original" countries. I'm just saying support Canada at the same level or higher. But when you'd rather see Ashton Morgan sitting on the TFC bench and continue to be overlooked all season instead of him playing for his country….well I think your priorities are flat out wrong and the reason why we suck at football.

If I was Ashton Morgan and TFC didn't let me go play for my national team….and TFC had the audacity to play me for the first time only because the rest of the FB's are hurt….I'd say fine….and then on game day say I have a sore hamstring and can't play. And sit on the edge of the bench…not say a word to my coach who sat me all year and count the minutes before I could leave a club like TFC.

Sorry for the rant. LOL
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 08-29-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

I understand there are lots of people who have moved to Canada for whatever reason as adults. I get that they cheer for their home country. But I'm talking about those of us who were born and raised here. We may have been shown the sport by our families who learned about it in another country but so what.

I'm Italian. Both parents born there. I've cheered for Italy at every world cup since I was a child. My father was a great player and good coach and the reason why I fell in love with this sport. I grew up watching Serie A and EPL and and and….Soccer Saturday was amazing.

All that being said…I was also taken to watch the Blizzard. I was also taken to see the Moblios's and Lenarduzzi's and all the CMNT as a child. To this day if Canada ever makes it to the World Cup I will travel anywhere in the world to support them. And if they were drawn in to the same group as Italy I will love to go and cheer on Canada and home they destroy Italy. It's just how I am.

I just can't stomach that we're getting worse and worse in this country on the football scale. Countries like the US and Australia that were at the same level (or below us) when I was a child have passed us and its shameful.

And I think thats because of our mentality here. Because we don't put Canada first. I'm not saying we need to drop our "home" or "original" countries. I'm just saying support Canada at the same level or higher. But when you'd rather see Ashton Morgan sitting on the TFC bench and continue to be overlooked all season instead of him playing for his country….well I think your priorities are flat out wrong and the reason why we suck at football.

If I was Ashton Morgan and TFC didn't let me go play for my national team….and TFC had the audacity to play me for the first time only because the rest of the FB's are hurt….I'd say fine….and then on game day say I have a sore hamstring and can't play. And sit on the edge of the bench…not say a word to my coach who sat me all year and count the minutes before I could leave a club like TFC.

Sorry for the rant. LOL
    In the same boat as you. Completely agree!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supporting View Post

There would be nothing wrong with attending all local games, Supporting the local team until your home team was visiting. This is the next step in Support we've always worked towards. There are few stories like this but they do exist. It's not enough for some but I'll take it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All that being said…I was also taken to watch the Blizzard. I was also taken to see the Moblios's and Lenarduzzi's and all the CMNT as a child. To this day if Canada ever makes it to the World Cup I will travel anywhere in the world to support them. And if they were drawn in to the same group as Italy I will love to go and cheer on Canada and hope they destroy Italy. It's just how I am.

Sorry for the rant. LOL
    POTY brother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the rant. LOL
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed that Morgan is listed as a Midfielder. Interesting...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the rant. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    POTY brother.
    Yes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada Soccer @CanadaSoccerEN · 14m

Change to the current #canMNT roster: Doneil Henry from @torontofc has been replaced by Nana Attakora of @dcunited