Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC will have a challenge on their hands with Jermaine Jones. Based on his comments today in the introduction press conference he raring and ready to go this weekend in Toronto.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Is it me or does it make MLS seem a bit bush league when they do stuff like that? I wonder if the players really do mind being given out like a raffle prize, especially when they go to a team they might not have wanted to go to in the first place.
    You're not the only fan who agrees it's kinda lame. Here's Kurt Larsen's blurb about it:

The Chicago Fire wanted Jones. The Revs got him thanks to a blind draw.
    Sometimes Major League Soccer’s rules are hard to explain.
    But, here it goes:
    According to Lalas, two teams wanted Jones — Chicago and New England.
    But because there is no free agency in MLS, the league more or less raffled Jones off by picking a team name from an envelope — Chicago or New England.
    That sparked a bit of rage among MLS fans who want to see the league move towards more of a European model that sees players have more control over where they end up.
    The players, however, never seem to mind.
    Neither do the league’s owners, who would have the rule changed if they thought it detrimental.
    For fans, though, it’s about purifying the game. They see certain league mechanisms as holding back teams — Chicago, for instance — that are looking to improve.
    Others understand the league’s role in ensuring parity — something that’s paramount in North America.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    You're not the only fan who agrees it's kinda lame. Here's Kurt Larsen's blurb about it:
    The thing about this though is that it ignores the fundamental principle of the league's structure. Single entity ownership.

The leagues owners "don't care" because technically they aren't owners. Each is a board member. The structure is set up so it is in the vested interest of the league to have these things in place like salary controls and limited player movement (at least on their terms). This structure makes them money and increases the value of their share in the league.

Unions care. But to care to the point of forcing antitrust suits would likely mean decertification of the union. Instead, they use antitrust exemption to negotiate a CBA to their advantage. One that thus far has brought higher wages to the bulk of the players, more guaranteed contracts and at one point I wager it will take the form of free agency.

It's a longer process but one that will get them to the destination without imploding their existence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    No.. this thing seems to apply to returning us mnt players that meets certain 'threshold'
    You know, I'm just going to treat the whole Jermaine Jones scenario like a magic show: Enjoy the spectacle but don't put too much thought into how the trick actually works because it's too much work for too little reward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Silviu Petrescu is the ref... oh boy. at least it's not a new guy
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    You know, I'm just going to treat the whole Jermaine Jones scenario like a magic show: Enjoy the spectacle but don't put too much thought into how the trick actually works because it's too much work for too little reward.
    They should add "Blind Draw Ballots" to the list of trade-able commodities in MLS, like Allocation. Improves your odds of winning blind draws.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this week we get everybody's favourite 4th official, Petrescu. That should mean a welcome "Meh" about the officiating this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Silviu Petrescu is the ref... oh boy. at least it's not a new guy
    Idk i think i would prefer a new guy: unknown likely terrible>>>> known really really terrible

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And this week we get everybody's favourite 4th official, Petrescu. That should mean a welcome "Meh" about the officiating this game.
    Well he is better than Toledo. Sometimes he totally screws up calls in our favor too but that's a coin flip. I bet he is worse than 'meh' but not quite tar & feathers worthy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks because he is Canadian too isnt he?
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Sucks because he is Canadian too isnt he?
    Born Romania but now Canadian from Waterloo.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrescu is one of more level headed refs. Ya he blows calls, but he doesnt like to dish red cards unlike many of the hot head refs
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrescu is one of more level headed refs. Ya he blows calls, but he doesnt like to dish red cards unlike many of the hot head refs
    I don't mind Petrescu, I won't be at this match, so therefore it should be a win,lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Bradley drills him over again lol

Having said that ill take him or anyone over Toledo

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's no Toledo, that's for sure. Not great, but as fourth official he can't do too much damage.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@KurtLarSUN: Bloom, I'm told, departed to be with his wife, who gave birth today. It's possible he returns in time for New England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    @KurtLarSUN: Bloom, I'm told, departed to be with his wife, who gave birth today. It's possible he returns in time for New England.
    I think he should stay with his wife and new baby personally, however this would be another big loss from the back line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This foolishness is only going to end when the players grow some balls and strike the league. They are treated like chattle in the MLS. Set a salary cap at 50% of team revenues and let the best organization win. Way too many rules in MlS.

not that I like MLS rules, but Jones is being well paid to play in NE. if he really didn't like NE, he could have not signed with MLS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ion-heres-how/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know many people on here argue that "most MLS teams" play with one defensive midfielder to cover the back line and then hit on the break. However, these last few games have really reinforced one thing for me: the "pulley system" just does not work well enough to warrant its continuation in the next few games. It does not seem to work well for TFC. I like Warner, he is a great addition to the team, but playing him as cover so as to allow Bradley to act as an attacking mid is just not working. Bradley is not in the attack nearly as often as he should be. Bradley is, more often than not, back defending where Warner should be. The way things are currently, the team are not playing with 1 attacking CM and 1 defensive CM; we are playing with 2 DMs.

Bradley needs someone of more attacking skill to play off of in order to effectively link up with and dictate the attack as Neslon and Bez want him to. The last few games seem to confirm that Osorio should be moved back to the centre of midfield. The team just seems to look so much better with Bradley paired next to Osorio. The two seem to drive one another forward as well as make the team tick offensively by playing better passes to the forwards and linking with the wingers.

For this game lets try Bradley and Osorio in the middle. Both can attack effectively as well as defend. (4-3-1-2)

---------------------Bendik--------------------
    Orr------Hagglund-------Henry-------Bloom-
    -----Oduro--------Osorio----------Bradley----
    --------------------Moore----------------------
    ----------Gilberto----------Defoe--------------

Or the simple one:

---------------------Bendik--------------------
    Orr------Hagglund-------Henry--------Bloom
    Oduro-----Osorio--------Bradley-----Jackson
    -----------Gilberto---------Defoe--------------

If and when we have a lead to protect, then bring on Warner and switch the team to more defensive mode.
    Last edited by Burning Red; 08-29-2014 at 02:15 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro

Nelsen says Defoe won't play Saturday due to groin injury. Creavalle also out.

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro · 7m

Bloom will be back tonight. Will play tomorrow. #tfc

Osorio says deal worked out between CSA and
    #TFC over not being called up.

Nelsen says players could be released from CSA camp to play in Philly games.

Defoe also out for weds road game vs Philly

Target is to have Defoe back for home Philly game but Nelsen says end of sept more likely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto and Moore to carry the load it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto and Moore to carry the load it seems.
    The good news is Gilberto is one of the hottest strikers in the league at the moment.. and Moore has played tremendously with him. Hope Defoe's injury isn't serious.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 5s OUT for Saturday: Defoe, Creavalle, Caldwell, Morrow, Wiedeman...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    The good news is Gilberto is one of the hottest strikers in the league at the moment.. and Moore has played tremendously with him. Hope Defoe's injury isn't serious.
    It is out until end of September

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez has made a point of coming out to see the media.

Sounds pissed (I'll wait to see what any video feed shows)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 48s Bezbatchenko: "The time is now... We mean business now."

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 1m
    Bez: 'we have to take it up a notch. Last 11-12 games we haven't been good enough.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 2m

Bezbatchenko: "Time of 'gelling' is over. It's time for our experience to show."

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 51s
    Bezbatchenko: "We aren't trying to be average. We can be better."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Richter recalled from loan with Ottawa, at least for the next few weeks. Better option at RB IMO than Jackson. Hopefully Nelsen uses him.

Jackson did play RB at his last team, so the first time Nelsen tried him there, I could live it. However if he keeps doing it after what we've seen on the field, it's really inexcusable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Ryan Richter recalled from loan with Ottawa, at least for the next few weeks. Better option at RB IMO than Jackson. Hopefully Nelsen uses him.

Jackson did play RB at his last team, so the first time Nelsen tried him there, I could live it. However if he keeps doing it after what we've seen on the field, it's really inexcusable.
    Jackson has played there 2 times? or 3 now?

Welcome back Richter
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez has made a point of coming out to see the media.

Sounds pissed (I'll wait to see what any video feed shows)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 48s Bezbatchenko: "The time is now... We mean business now."

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 1m
    Bez: 'we have to take it up a notch. Last 11-12 games we haven't been good enough.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 2m

Bezbatchenko: "Time of 'gelling' is over. It's time for our experience to show."

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 51s
    Bezbatchenko: "We aren't trying to be average. We can be better."
    Is he setting down a marker there? The margin of error is thin now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BIG Match Saturday . . .

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 5s OUT for Saturday: Defoe, Creavalle, Caldwell, Morrow, Wiedeman...
    New England only three points behind - BIG game for both clubs!

Last Saturday at BMO appeared promising with our prominent players back in action, but alas match ended in a tie.

Perhaps with five out for this match, TFC subs will step-up.

Go TFC GO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kick some Fuckin' ass, be hard as nails boys.