Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default is Defoe's attitude disruptive?

Ok so obviously Gilberto isn't a flop despite what some experts predicted. But let's continue the discussion being had in that thread about Defoe. I think everyone has noticed his hands going up in the air every time someone messes up a pass or God forbid doesn't pass to him. It's quite unfair really when these minimum wage players are working their asses off and doing pretty well to have to be chewed up by their superstar teammate. I don't recall Henry doing that often in NY or Beckham in LA.
    So do you guys think Defoe is unhappy here or we're overreacting to his constant displays of frustration. I mean Gilberto has given him some pretty nifty passes that Defoe has messed up himself (and Osorio has made nice passes too) so they don't deserve the embarrassment when some of their decisions don't pan out.
    My $0.02

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see it as heat of the moment type thing from someone who wants to win all the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need Defoe to get back to form quickly so we can start firing on all cylinders. We've not yet had a game with all three DP's on and in form. Its essential for a decent run at the playoffs.

All TFC fans should want and expect to win every game. There needs to be pressure on the team to win every home game especially. Otherwise you end up with futility we have had for all those years.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    I see it as heat of the moment type thing from someone who wants to win all the time
    Agreed. I wouldn't make too much of it. Defoe is aware of the quality of the league he plays in and of his teammates, but he's a professional first and foremost. I think he's understandably frustrated at times, but I would be surprised if anything serious becomes of it.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you imagine where this club would be without Defoe,they would have a mtl type record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone in the locker room likes Defoe. If you're going to ask me for my source you won't get one, so you can take it or leave it.

However the attitude problems often attributed to him on this board is inaccurate. This is as silly as the Gilberto thread and will likely veer in the same direction. I think if he voices his opinion publicly that the caliber of play of his team mates is inferior, then this discussion has merit. Until then, this is pure speculation.

People are animated, if his team mates haven't said anything, and he hasn't said anything then I'm not sure why this is a thing.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 08-24-2014 at 03:42 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And..........we have our new whipping boy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^.
    Good. I was getting tired of the character assassination on Gilberto now that he is scoring as there was nothing else to talk about.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post

All TFC fans should want and expect to win every game. There needs to be pressure on the team to win every home game especially. Otherwise you end up with futility we have had for all those years.
    no, they shouldn't. that's unreasonable and impossible. I'd like them to win every game. This is a league where the first place team in our conference has dropped points more times than not. This isn't the PL or La Liga where the best teams are expected to win at least 30 out of 38. lots of people don't seem to understand that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Everyone in the locker room likes Defoe. If you're going to ask me for my source you won't get one, so you can take it or leave it.

However the attitude problems often attributed to him on this board is inaccurate. This is as silly as the Gilberto thread and will likely veer in the same direction. I think if he voices his opinion publicly that the caliber of play of his team mates is inferior, then this discussion has merit. Until then, this is pure speculation.

People are animated, if his team mates haven't said anything, and he hasn't said anything then I'm not sure why this is a thing.
    Yup. Entirely agree with you on this. Defoe gets irritated because, say, Oduro never looks up when he's running with the ball. ever. That's fucking frustrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more concerned if he wasn't showing frustration when his teammates make bad decisions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a competitor, and gets frustrated with his teammates occasionally, in the heat of the moment. It's not a bad thing. As long as it isn't carrying over to the locker room afterward, which by pretty much all inside accounts it is not.

The guy wants to win, and occasionally gets frustrated with the quality of play around him - when you want to win, it really doesn't matter if everyone around you is trying their best. This isn't a beer league. Demand more, and hope the people around you elevate their game.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And..........we have our new whipping boy.
    That's awfully simple of you.

I agree that Oduro and Jackson are probably frustrating to play with at times but to vent every single time must get tiring to deal with. I guess if everyone on the team is on the same page and there's no locker room rift then all is good, the frustration he shows with Gilberto is irritating at times..if only he could applaud a good attempt every now and then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post

I don't care if people "like" him. By putting so much pressure on his teammates it will only add to this team's struggles. For those of you playing this all down as simply him being a good competitor... I remember last game him running into the offensive quarter of the field and winning a throw in, and within seconds giving a smug, frustrated and condescending signal to his teammate to hurry on over to take the throw. The player was already jogging over and it was the last piece of evidence I need. I don't care if he is an okay guy off of the pitch. I have no interest in watching a little man walk around the field whinning all game. Its embarassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'd be more concerned if he wasn't showing frustration when his teammates make bad decisions.
    Seconded. As a player who has played on rep teams where I've easily been the best on the pitch it is extremely frustrating to have teammates below my skill level fucking up a lot but the second I stopped caring was usually the second I either decided to change clubs at the end of the season or stopped trying. I see him getting frustrated as a way of showing he of cares.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped reading after the first sentence.

Why do you continually try to rewrite other people's point of view?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Stopped reading after the first sentence.

Why do you continually try to rewrite other people's point of view?
    Oh no. What are we going to do without your opinion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod Edit: If you want to block him, then block him. No need for a parting insult.
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 08-24-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Pretty self-explanatory.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give him credit ,he successfully took the thread exactly where he wanted it to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is horseshit.
    /End

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know why people are bringing bruised egos from the other thread into this one.
    Just wanted a legitimate discussion on Defoe's attitude... Some people are just too sensitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did say /End.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post

I agree that Oduro and Jackson are probably frustrating to play with at times but to vent every single time must get tiring to deal with. I guess if everyone on the team is on the same page and there's no locker room rift then all is good, the frustration he shows with Gilberto is irritating at times..if only he could applaud a good attempt every now and then.

Perhaps you don't notice, but Bradley, Luke Moore, Osorio and even Dominic Oduro (the most laid-back guy on Earth) have all done the same thing. Perhaps fixating on one player showing natural frustration when things don't go well is giving you a somewhat skewed perspective. In fact, I guarantee you if you go back and watch the game on mlslive, you'll see that Luke Moore expresses his frustrations more than anyone on the team, Defoe included.

They're just doing what any good player does when he has open space and doesn't get the ball. It's normal, not divisive. The day he actually starts dividing the locker room by saying things publicly is the day to worry.

This isn't it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Perhaps you don't notice, but Bradley, Luke Moore, Osorio and even Dominic Oduro (the most laid-back guy on Earth) have all done the same thing. Perhaps fixating on one player showing natural frustration when things don't go well is giving you a somewhat skewed perspective. In fact, I guarantee you if you go back and watch the game on mlslive, you'll see that Luke Moore expresses his frustrations more than anyone on the team, Defoe included.

They're just doing what any good player does when he has open space and doesn't get the ball. It's normal, not divisive. The day he actually starts dividing the locker room by saying things publicly is the day to worry.

This isn't it.
    ^Yep.

I'd be more concerned if he never got hot under the collar with his teammates during a game, because it would mean he was just floating around, and not really caring.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have been three constants in Defoe's career since I watched him join west ham as a teenager from Charlton... 1. Tight Hamstrings 2. Gesticulating at his teammates 3. SCORING GOALS... so nothing new here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone knows Luke Moore is the guy that runs the offence for this team. Moore+Gilberto or Moore+Defoe = goals. Gilberto+Defoe is where there's trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am concerned about where Defoe's head is at. I'm hoping that it is mainly due to the open transfer window, time to ponder this stuff due to the fitness issues and possibly people whispering into his ear. Maybe after the end of the month we'll see some better focus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Everyone knows Luke Moore is the guy that runs the offence for this team. Moore+Gilberto or Moore+Defoe = goals. Gilberto+Defoe is where there's trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No issues with Defoe's demeanor on the pitch. As mentioned, it's in his nature to be demonstrative and passionate, and I would be more concerned if that didn't translate to his game here in Toronto in a new league. I think it's obvious that he's not just here to collect a pay cheque. He genuinely wants to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

This isn't it.
    What's simple of me? Wondering if there is any tension between teammates while hoping there isn't? Ok..

Most people tend not to be worried about it, I was unaware he has a history of being so demonstrative but because of this thread I now know that he has done this in the past so thank you to those who have pointed this out.

As for Bradley and Osorio showing frustration there is no way they display it as much as Defoe, nor does Moore. In fact Bradley is the classiest guy on the pitch always and even if someone misses the most basic pass he just tracks back to defend...no berating.