Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I love saying you are here for the season, without even identifying the sport, hahahahaha

Argos at BMO was/is a sideshow, only part of this because of the possibility of getting $30M from government sources. Rogers would go along with it if they got cut in on the CFL deal. That's no biggie.

My guess as to what is going on: Leiweke would need Bogers to go to war with the NHL in order to make serious outdoor hockey happen. Right now the league controls these things and revenue is shared. The league's distribution of $5M per club last week, the timing of that, that was no coincidence. There is a potential battle royale brewing over this.

But can Rogers be anxious to poke a stick in Bettman's eye after ponying up $5B for the rights? They need the league to give them scheduling and other important priorities. So they probably vetoed Leiweke from going to war. If I had to bet, I'd bet this caused Leiweke to conclude he can't get things done here, and is interviewing. Which cannot be kept quiet.

Related guess: Leiweke's game plan requires massive spending (at least 90M at BMO, big losses at TFC). I wonder if the spigots for all that just got turned off (or the approval to turn them on was never really given in the first place, ex the Defoe and Bradley deals.

Those godawful TV numbers for TFC this year cannot have helped Leiweke, because they really undermine any ability he has to say "trust me" when asking for a big incremental budget. The TFC signings are his personal moves and they aren't driving anything (ex refilling BMO, but as discussed elsewhere, that only recoups maybe 20% of the cost of the signings). They are a real problem.

Bottom line: Bell and Rogers bought this thing to keep it away from others, not to build it. We will get a conservator next.
    Very interesting post Ensco. Not certain you are correct, but it does connect the dots. It also highlights the conflict Rogers appointees to the Board of MLSE have now that Rogers signed the NHL deal - and their legal obligation is to act in the best interests of MLSE, not Rogers. Unlikely to come to this in Canada but TSN would have an interesting lawsuit should Rogers Board appointees block something that was good for MLSE but bad for Rogers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    The boat was sinking, now its not
    I fear what this club will become post Bradley/Defoe era. Probably back to the basement, should we get another Assholemi type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has accomplished a lot already (at least for TFC). I wanted him to stay but I think the language being used by him make it obvious he won't be around much longer. I just hope he changed the mentality and culture of the management at MLSE enough that they still aim high after he leaves (fat chance)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It also highlights the conflict Rogers appointees to the Board of MLSE have now that Rogers signed the NHL deal - and their legal obligation is to act in the best interests of MLSE, not Rogers. Unlikely to come to this in Canada but TSN would have an interesting lawsuit should Rogers Board appointees block something that was good for MLSE but bad for Rogers.
    Very astute point.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Very interesting post Ensco. Not certain you are correct, but it does connect the dots. It also highlights the conflict Rogers appointees to the Board of MLSE have now that Rogers signed the NHL deal - and their legal obligation is to act in the best interests of MLSE, not Rogers. Unlikely to come to this in Canada but TSN would have an interesting lawsuit should Rogers Board appointees block something that was good for MLSE but bad for Rogers.
    There doesn't seem to be much conflict, it sure looks like it's all one company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Lieweke's done a good job of shifting the culture at MLSE. I think he's pretty much broken the cronyism that was rampant around the organization while Tannenbaum/Peddie were calling the shots. I don't mind if he leaves so long as he puts someone in place that shares the vision of MLSE/TFC. I wonder if Bez would be promoted to President/GM of TFC, a la Cliff Fletcher and the Leafs. I would be okay with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always sceptical of any MLSE rumours that come from puck head journalists. They generally have yet to accept TL as being in charge as they can not fathom a non hockey guy being in charge.

Especially McCowan, who has little credibility with MLSE.

According to that interview, he'll be here in April and May of next season.

Bigger question.

Where's the stadium expansion info?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Blue Jays are getting pretty much equal or some of their games better ratings than CFL (especially Argos) this year, so I don't believe you on that part.

How we know it was Rogers blocking the deal? Can you back up your claim? What if Bell or LT didn't like the deal ($10 million and percentage of Grey Cup profit) either? I personally don't believe Argos are worth $10 million and percentage of future Grey Cup in Toronto profit so I believe all parties in MLSE voted no that deal.

-- look at the last five years ratings CFL gets 50% higher ratings than blue jays. Its roughly 700k CFL vs 450 Blue jays since the ppm's were introduced 4-5 years ago. I don't really care, but i believe i saw the Argos game was the most watched sporting event in the country last week with over 800,000 viewers.

-- its been in the press several times that Bell and LT might just buy the Argos directly, rather than thru MLSE. This would infer the 3rd shareholder (Rogers) is blocking it at the board level. In any case, as it has also been reported, there is a valuation gap between Braley and MLSE.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I certainly don't want to believe the news, but Leiweke's response doesn't inspire confidence. Fully committed to the season at hand? What season? Is he talking about TFC or the upcoming hockey and basketball seasons? I'm not going to kiss the ground he's walked on, but the guy has certainly brought TFC around and put the Raptors back in the minds of Torontonians.

Though I will admit that it would make sense if losing the Bills bid was the primary reason for leaving. I don't know how good Toronto's chances were at bringing the NFL to town, but it certainly seems that plan is no more.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if leiweke leaves, i could see TFC folding within 5 years. How many football franchises have been toast in this city over past 30 years.
    We draw 22k on TV. No one outside the core supporters cares about football in Toronto. We are losing $5-$10m per year due to the Defoe and Bradley signings. Defoe has delivered big time. Bradley could be replace by a 200k MLSer and is a major anchor dragging down this club.
    This sucks!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red81 View Post
    if leiweke leaves, i could see TFC folding within 5 years. How many football franchises have been toast in this city over past 30 years.
    We draw 22k on TV. No one outside the core supporters cares about football in Toronto. We are losing $5-$10m per year due to the Defoe and Bradley signings. Defoe has delivered big time. Bradley could be replace by a 200k MLSer and is a major anchor dragging down this club.
    This sucks!!!!
    we we we..yr nothing but a troll you wanker,go watch yr fucking argos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red81 View Post
    This sucks!!!!
    those teams folded,because the leagues folded dipshit troll.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I certainly don't want to believe the news, but Leiweke's response doesn't inspire confidence. Fully committed to the season at hand? What season? Is he talking about TFC or the upcoming hockey and basketball seasons? I'm not going to kiss the ground he's walked on, but the guy has certainly brought TFC around and put the Raptors back in the minds of Torontonians.

Though I will admit that it would make sense if losing the Bills bid was the primary reason for leaving. I don't know how good Toronto's chances were at bringing the NFL to town, but it certainly seems that plan is no more.
    "At hand" to me says "the season in progress".

He could leave as early as November by that language.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    -- look at the last five years ratings CFL gets 50% higher ratings than blue jays. Its roughly 700k CFL vs 450 Blue jays since the ppm's were introduced 4-5 years ago. I don't really care, but i believe i saw the Argos game was the most watched sporting event in the country last week with over 800,000 viewers.
    But difference is that Blue Jays play every day during late spring to fall and get 500K per game (on average) which is fantastic while CFL don't play that many games (or in Argos case only 10 games including playoff game). So why would Rogers be jealous of Bell and CFL/Argos? This year, CFL ratings isn't exactly getting 700K per game. Their ratings have been all the place. I believe one of CFL games on last weekend got around 490K which is below average for CFL.

-- its been in the press several times that Bell and LT might just buy the Argos directly, rather than thru MLSE. This would infer the 3rd shareholder (Rogers) is blocking it at the board level. In any case, as it has also been reported, there is a valuation gap between Braley and MLSE.
    If that's case, then they could have bought Argos right now since there isn't any interest out there to buy Argos outside LT/MLSE. I personally believe asking price is too much which is preventing sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow the Sky is falling, and Global Warming will end the Earth as we know it today, I am sure Tim Leiweke will leave MLSE at some time, I don't worry about things I have no control over.
    If I did it would only raise my Blood Pressure and Stress Level.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Lieweke leaves I predict the City of Toronto will fold, followed by the rest of Canada. Who else can run things here? Lieweke is GOD! First T.O will become an economic then socio-economic wasteland ala inner city Detroit until it eventually morphs into a Mad Max type world where battles are waged over gas and food supplies. The end is nigh! Repent!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he goes now, he'll have lured Uruji, Drake, Defoe, Bradley and Shanahan. I was skeptical that Shanahan would bring about much change, but the Leafs now have an analytics department that makes the rest of the league envious.

If he leaves now I'm not too worried; the man himself can't put these teams into the playoffs, but they're sure as hell headed the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once i see bulldozers and cranes at CNE grounds, then i will be convinced he is staying. This is his "baby". He is a big believer in MLS ... i got the sense before than TFC was an after thought with the old guard mgmt team at MLSE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    we we we..yr nothing but a troll you wanker,go watch yr fucking argos
    It's funny because if there was anyone who was going to help the Argos it would be Leiweke. I guess when you're truly desperate it's nice to pretend someone else has it worse.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-20-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once i see bulldozers and cranes at CNE grounds, then i will be convinced he is staying. This is his "baby". He is a big believer in MLS ... i got the sense before than TFC was an after thought with the old guard mgmt team at MLSE
    Well that's just it, people like Leiweke who build and stick their neck out are rare, spineless lizards like Anselmi who make incremental decisions and play it safe are common.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've been advertising the "new BMO Field" so I have to think the reno is a done deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/19...has-just-begun

“I am focused on getting TFC in the playoffs,” Leiweke told me. “Just renewed my tickets for this year’s playoffs.”

That quote caught my eye... A little off topic, but have playoff SSH renewals/reservations started?
    I haven't gotten any emails or heard anything from my rep yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It's funny because if there was anyone who was going to help the Argos it would be Leiweke. I guess when you're truly desperate it's nice to pretend someone else has it worse.
    Agreed. I don't understand why Agros fans want TFC/soccer to fail when they need them for order to make BMO field profitable for City and MLSE. TFC are main tenants who will be using BMO field more than anyone else. Without professional soccer, BMO field wouldn't be profitable and city will end up getting rid of BMO field to save money and built something else.

There's a reason why other CFL owners are looking into owning professional soccer team and talking with CSA to potentially form all Canadian soccer league.

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

“I am focused on getting TFC in the playoffs,” Leiweke told me. “Just renewed my tickets for this year’s playoffs.”

That quote caught my eye... A little off topic, but have playoff SSH renewals/reservations started?
    No.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure it's just more bluster for the cameras and mics. Anyone think he actually had to buy tickets for any matches?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its coming, along with renewals....
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to see playoff ticket offers until we are over the line! Don't jinx this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't want to see playoff ticket offers until we are over the line! Don't jinx this!
    True enough. We're in a solid position, but there's still a long way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I am always sceptical of any MLSE rumours that come from puck head journalists. They generally have yet to accept TL as being in charge as they can not fathom a non hockey guy being in charge.

Bigger question.

Its odd that the news the CFL commissioner will be ending is reign in April and TL news broke in the same day.
    Cohen would be a good alternative to TL, rather than bringing back the usually MLSE mgmt types that don't give a shit about footie.

In the clip I say today, TL basically said he was here to turn the ship around but thats it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Bigger question.

yeah, didn't TL say in the spring, prep begins in september

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of demoralizing from the high-end wizardry; relatively productive mouthpiece point of view, but I doubt TFC and the Raptors decline in the immediate future. We have always had the money but an incompetent club infrastructure. Bez was a significant add that we've not really had before. As long as it's not another Anselmi or sockpuppet for the board I think it will be OK. Leafs are hopeless anyway.