Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 2m Tim Leiweke signed a two-year non-compete with his previous employer AEG. Once two years are up, he'll go elsewhere, I'm told.

This fits perfectly with his "Season at hand" denial...

Once his 2 years are up, he'll jump to the Clippers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he was never going to be here forever. Hope he sticks around for another year or two though, he's had a positive impact on MLSE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    if Tim L leaves.
    He sold Defoe on his vision of the team.
    then he bails on it.
    Thing is that he isn't bailing on TFC. He isn't like Bez who is linked solely to TFC. If he does leave it will be for the 'new challenge' which will probably be the Clippers. Speculation will be the three heads of MLSE were hard to deal with but he'll spin it as an opportunity he can't pass up and that it's back home and that his work was pretty much done for the MLSE main teams anyway and the rest of the framework is already in place. Chances are they'll probably have a guy lined up by then for a seamless transition with a glowing Lieweke endorsement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Thing is that he isn't bailing on TFC. He isn't like Bez who is linked solely to TFC. If he does leave it will be for the 'new challenge' which will probably be the Clippers. Speculation will be the three heads of MLSE were hard to deal with but he'll spin it as an opportunity he can't pass up and that it's back home and that his work was pretty much done for the MLSE main teams anyway and the rest of the framework is already in place. Chances are they'll probably have a guy lined up by then for a seamless transition with a glowing Lieweke endorsement.
    good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 2m Tim Leiweke signed a two-year non-compete with his previous employer AEG. Once two years are up, he'll go elsewhere, I'm told.

This fits perfectly with his "Season at hand" denial...

Once his 2 years are up, he'll jump to the Clippers.
    Soooo, after the end of the upcoming NBA season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's saying his wife doesn't like the winter and has already moved back? Just curious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Soooo, after the end of the upcoming NBA season?
    Next spring/summer most likely. Right around the time the Raiders are looking to do another 'move' from Oakland to L.A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Who's saying his wife doesn't like the winter and has already moved back? Just curious.
    Bob McCown @FadooBobcat · 1h

Leiweke about to move back to LA to run the Clippers? Whisper won't go away. Wife moved back to So. Cal. already. #wehatewinter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Bob McCowan

Quote on the previous page.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is probably a lot to this rumor and the whole 2 years non-compete clause with AEG. Either way I refuse to see it as a woe is me, sky is falling typical event.

Team was shit for 7 years. Lieweke (and Bez) come in and turn it around in short order. All goes well then we make the playoffs and have our best season ever by a good margin especially considering where we just came from. What new MLSE honcho would say "Fuck that, blow it up and get some new management in there to run a sport I have no clue about"? No one that's who. I am not worried about us and our direction. Leafs might be a different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 35s Tim Leiweke: "Tell (TFC) fans not to worry. I am focused on getting TFC into the playoffs." @TorontoFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the endless discussion of this supposed Leiweke/Tanenbaum secret agenda to bring the NFL to Toronto, as if it's real, is ridiculous, has nothing to do with what may be going on now, and has wrecked the discussion of MLSE on this board.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is probably a lot to this rumor and the whole 2 years non-compete clause with AEG. Either way I refuse to see it as a woe is me, sky is falling typical event.

Team was shit for 7 years. Lieweke (and Bez) come in and turn it around in short order. All goes well then we make the playoffs and have our best season ever by a good margin especially considering where we just came from. What new MLSE honcho would say "Fuck that, blow it up and get some new management in there to run a sport I have no clue about"? No one that's who. I am not worried about us and our direction. Leafs might be a different story.
    Problem is that post-TL era could mean less investment into TFC (like not signing higher end DP's and possibly getting fieldturf if Argos move in) which will hurt TFC since they view TFC a small player that doesn't bring huge ROI like Leafs and Raptors (new TV deal in couple of years is going make Raptors a lot more valuable).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Problem is that post-TL era could mean less investment into TFC (like not signing higher end DP's and possibly getting fieldturf if Argos move in) which will hurt TFC since they view TFC a small player that doesn't bring huge ROI like Leafs and Raptors (new TV deal in couple of years is going make Raptors a lot more valuable).
    New MLS TV deal too on the pipes. Also, I never understood the field turf Argo debate. MLSE doesn't own the Argos and the Argos are a smaller player with less financial upside than TFC so why fuck up a team you own and makes money for one you don't own and get nothing from? That argument makes no sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...ign-from-mlse/

MG:
    Are you leaving ‘soon’?

TL: No, there is no timeline. I’ve never said I would be here forever, but my work here is not done. We have to get the NBA All-Star Game done. We have to get the Raptors practice facility done. We have to get all three teams winning.
    MG: Does the NFL deal impact your tenure?
    TL: Not in the least. I’ll bet you a hell of a lot of money we’re talking about the Leafs and the Raptors making the playoffs in the same year when we talk in April.
    MG: Did you have a non-compete clause when you left Los Angeles?
    TL: No, there was no non-compete. I can go wherever I want and I want to be here, and I love what we’re doing and I think we’re making inroads. But we’re right smack in the middle of about a dozen huge projects and I’m going to get them done.
    MG: What is on the horizon?
    TL: I’ll think about this once we’re through everything we need to get through, but right now we’re focused on the season at hand and I guarantee you, I will be here.
    MG: And then reassess?
    TL: I serve at the beck and call of the board and so they have a voice in this too, but from my standpoint I’m focused on this season, and that’s all I’m focused on.
    MG: Is there any conflict with the board?
    TL: I get along well with the board and I like where we’re at and I like what we’re doing and to their credit they’ve given us the capital and the resources. You’re going to hear a series of announcements in the next couple of days. We have some very good things about to be announced, that’s why these rumours are completely untrue.

MG: And suggestions about the weather being an issue?
    TL: I grew up in St. Louis and spent four years in Minneapolis and when I do leave here during the winter I go to my home in Vail, so the winters can’t bother me that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New MLS TV deal too on the pipes. Also, I never understood the field turf Argo debate. MLSE doesn't own the Argos and the Argos are a smaller player with less financial upside than TFC so why fuck up a team you own and makes money for one you don't own and get nothing from? That argument makes no sense to me.
    MLSE (are or were) interested in buying Argos and hosting Grey Cup at BMO field. But now that TL is leaving, maybe MLSE is no longer interested owning Argos?

Point is: we're getting new turf to get Argos/CFL move to BMO field. TL said "Hybrid turf", but new person to replace TL could say something else to save few bucks and look good for his/her bosses.
    Last edited by TFC07; 08-19-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't it Larry who wanted the Argos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Wasn't it Larry who wanted the Argos?
    Yes, but many believe his intention owning Argos was tied with NFL bid which he (and Bon Jovi) failed in the end. So who knows if Larry T still interested in owning Argos now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'm sure Cathal Kelly will have a bullshit article out in a few hours straight from the horses mouth
    ROFL! Just read that article!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...ign-from-mlse/

MG:
    Are you leaving ‘soon’?

TL: No, there is no timeline. I’ve never said I would be here forever, but my work here is not done. We have to get the NBA All-Star Game done. We have to get the Raptors practice facility done. We have to get all three teams winning.
    MG: Does the NFL deal impact your tenure?
    TL: Not in the least. I’ll bet you a hell of a lot of money we’re talking about the Leafs and the Raptors making the playoffs in the same year when we talk in April.
    MG: Did you have a non-compete clause when you left Los Angeles?
    TL: No, there was no non-compete. I can go wherever I want and I want to be here, and I love what we’re doing and I think we’re making inroads. But we’re right smack in the middle of about a dozen huge projects and I’m going to get them done.
    MG: What is on the horizon?
    TL: I’ll think about this once we’re through everything we need to get through, but right now we’re focused on the season at hand and I guarantee you, I will be here.
    MG: And then reassess?
    TL: I serve at the beck and call of the board and so they have a voice in this too, but from my standpoint I’m focused on this season, and that’s all I’m focused on.
    MG: Is there any conflict with the board?
    TL: I get along well with the board and I like where we’re at and I like what we’re doing and to their credit they’ve given us the capital and the resources. You’re going to hear a series of announcements in the next couple of days. We have some very good things about to be announced, that’s why these rumours are completely untrue.

MG: And suggestions about the weather being an issue?
    TL: I grew up in St. Louis and spent four years in Minneapolis and when I do leave here during the winter I go to my home in Vail, so the winters can’t bother me that much.

Well I guess that settles it. He'll be here till the spring/summer at least. I'm more interested in all these upcoming projects and imminent announcements. Any idea what these could be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ROFL! Just read that article!!
    Like clockwork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Bez stays on long term....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Yes, but many believe his intention owning Argos was tied with NFL bid which he (and Bon Jovi) failed in the end. So who knows if Larry T still interested in owning Argos now.
    TL wanted the argos bad -- he can see the TV ratings, he sees the crappy stadium situation. Motivation: easy turnaround, makes him look good.

LT more interested in the argos due to his NFL bid.

Rogers is the one veto-ing the argos deal. Bell-Rogers must vote as a block. Rogers, therefore can block any deal. CFL kills the Jays ratings in the summer, Rogers doesn't like that. The CFL likes TSN and doesn't give Rogers the time of day and its visa versa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    TL wanted the argos bad -- he can see the TV ratings, he sees the crappy stadium situation. Motivation: easy turnaround, makes him look good.

Rogers is the one veto-ing the argos deal. Bell-Rogers must vote as a block. Rogers, therefore can block any deal. CFL kills the Jays ratings in the summer, Rogers doesn't like that. The CFL likes TSN and doesn't give Rogers the time of day and its visa versa.
    Blue Jays are getting pretty much equal or some of their games better ratings than CFL (especially Argos) this year, so I don't believe you on that part.

How we know it was Rogers blocking the deal? Can you back up your claim? What if Bell or LT didn't like the deal ($10 million and percentage of Grey Cup profit) either? I personally don't believe Argos are worth $10 million and percentage of future Grey Cup in Toronto profit so I believe all parties in MLSE voted no that deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate saying it but I don't buy any of it.

He may be leaving even if he said he wasn't (would he say if he were.. no)

Does it matter to me? not really. Half of what he says is for show.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post

Never been a Rogers fan before today...

doobiedoobiedoo....
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love saying you are here for the season, without even identifying the sport, hahahahaha

Argos at BMO was/is a sideshow, only part of this because of the possibility of getting $30M from government sources. Rogers would go along with it if they got cut in on the CFL deal. That's no biggie.

My guess as to what is going on: Leiweke would need Bogers to go to war with the NHL in order to make serious outdoor hockey happen. Right now the league controls these things and revenue is shared. The league's distribution of $5M per club last week, the timing of that, that was no coincidence. There is a potential battle royale brewing over this.

But can Rogers be anxious to poke a stick in Bettman's eye after ponying up $5B for the rights? They need the league to give them scheduling and other important priorities. So they probably vetoed Leiweke from going to war. If I had to bet, I'd bet this caused Leiweke to conclude he can't get things done here, and is interviewing. Which cannot be kept quiet.

Related guess: Leiweke's game plan requires massive spending (at least 90M at BMO, big losses at TFC). I wonder if the spigots for all that just got turned off (or the approval to turn them on was never really given in the first place, ex the Defoe and Bradley deals.

Those godawful TV numbers for TFC this year cannot have helped Leiweke, because they really undermine any ability he has to say "trust me" when asking for a big incremental budget. The TFC signings are his personal moves and they aren't driving anything (ex refilling BMO, but as discussed elsewhere, that only recoups maybe 20% of the cost of the signings). They are a real problem.

Bottom line: Bell and Rogers bought this thing to keep it away from others, not to build it. We will get a conservator next.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-19-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Bottom line: Bell and Rogers bought this thing to keep it away from others, not to build it. We will get a conservator next.
    I don't buy that. Why would they hire Leiweke in the first place then?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Because they didn't do their homework. Happens all the time with boards. They rely on headhunters to do the interviewing and the background research.

Building for owners like this means 5% a year.

Not spending nine digit amounts to smash and then remake things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    The boat was sinking, now its not