Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Dreger on TSN saying all teams will be left to run themselves with their current management groups and the new CEO will be for the financial and business sides of MLSE.

Also, TL left AEG and the Galaxy didn't fall off the Earth. I think the board sees the growth of football taking hold in North America and would be stupid to ruin your footing by neglecting TFC. What I would like to see is Bez named Prez too as he has good handle on what it takes to be a MLS squad. Something we've never really ever been because we never had anyone in charge, managers or GMs, who had a clue.
    Being a team president is a completely different job than a GM.

Tim L, however, hired Chris Klein, who also didn't have much experience, as team president of LA Galaxy
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long before this Leiweke stuff leaked out - and it's been out there for days now - I posted that Defoe would be gone after this season. He's been telling that to family members all summer and it has nowt to do with TL.

Probably more to do with 'Arry Redknapp or Sam Allardyce. But England is where he is headed. This was a gamble to get him enough showcasing to make the England WC squad. Didn't work and he's outta here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither QPR or wherever Allardyce ends up after he is fired from West Ham have the money to

a) pay the transfer fee MLS will demand

b) match the contract Defoe is getting here

He might want to go but he's going to have trouble getting out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I think the more important question is Drake still on board?
    as came out lately, their not paying him anything ... so does it matter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN · 2h

Bez to the Sun: "From getting a call from (Tanenbaum) personally last night to speaking with people ... they realize the importance of TFC"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

Bez to the Sun: "From getting a call from (Tanenbaum) personally last night to speaking with people ... they realize the importance of TFC"

Be interested to see what he means by this. Tanenbaum realizes the value of TFC, but was rumored previously pushing for Anselmi to take the top spot? The guy who consistently drove this team into the ground through a series of bad hires / lack of accountability? How does that demonstrate the message he's parroting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

That suggests highly Tanenbaum did something to cause this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    That suggests highly Tanenbaum did something to cause this.

ahahaha what? there seem to be a fair few people who prescribe to the Alex Jones way of thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    How about if we could spread around all those dollars? Thus, maybe, addressing multiple needs....

You can't do this.

That is the whole point of the DP rule.

If you could I would totally agree, spend 2 million dollars per year on 5 quality players instead of 10 million per year on 2 quality players.

You can only spend ~ $400,000 or so on any one player unless they are one of 3 DP's.

And the team salary cap is ~ $3,000,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Neither QPR or wherever Allardyce ends up after he is fired from West Ham have the money to

a) pay the transfer fee MLS will demand

b) match the contract Defoe is getting here

He might want to go but he's going to have trouble getting out.
    QPR can 100% afford to buy Defoe if Tony Fernandes wants him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    QPR can 100% afford to buy Defoe if Tony Fernandes wants him.
    not this time around. They aren't going to spend the $40 million or so in combined wages and transfer fee to get him. This ain't the same QPR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    not this time around. They aren't going to spend the $40 million or so in combined wages and transfer fee to get him. This ain't the same QPR.
    Where are you getting $40m from?

And I'm not saying they are or would buy him and I don't think they will. but saying QPR cant afford any player is ridiculous given their ownership groups net worth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is doing nothing to calm my fears. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are you getting $40m from?

And I'm not saying they are or would buy him and I don't think they will. but saying QPR cant afford any player is ridiculous given their ownership groups net worth.
    the current cost of his contract plus the transfer fee paid for him. I'd assume they'd have to offer him similar terms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$10m fee + 3year *x $6m = $28m

*3 years left on his deal after this season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$10m fee + 3year *x $6m = $28m

*3 years left on his deal after this season
    Ah, I didn't do the math. I vaguely remember hearing that number when it was announced. Maybe I mixed it up with Bradley's. Regardless, QPR fans would murder someone if they spent that on a 31 year old striker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall I'm not going to get too worked up over any of this. Not yet anyway. Even if Defoe goes home. I will keep my sh*t together as long as we keep Bez, keep the core of the squad, keep the coaching staff, and have no Anselmi return. Especially the Anselmi return. That would be unforgivable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meet the new boss same as the old boss.…

We will be fooled again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwS1tC9Mp00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the current cost of his contract plus the transfer fee paid for him. I'd assume they'd have to offer him similar terms.
    Who says that has to be the point of reference though? The guy who signed that contract is on his way out. All the new person need prove to his corporate superiors is that it's an economic gain to offload it. Transfer fee is a sunk cost, the chuck they'll focus on is his salary. If QPR wants to eat most of that and MLSE end up with someone in their previous moulds of limited vision, it's not out of the question.

But we've yet to see who that new person is, and they'll have bigger fish to fry than TFC for the first 3-4 months, so I'm not hiding under my bed yet thinking of the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Who says that has to be the point of reference though? The guy who signed that contract is on his way out. All the new person need prove to his corporate superiors is that it's an economic gain to offload it. Transfer fee is a sunk cost, the chuck they'll focus on is his salary. If QPR wants to eat most of that and MLSE end up with someone in their previous moulds of limited vision, it's not out of the question.

But we've yet to see who that new person is, and they'll have bigger fish to fry than TFC for the first 3-4 months, so I'm not hiding under my bed yet thinking of the future.
    It would not be TFC or MLSE negotiating the transfer fee, it'd be MLS. They have a much higher incentive to recoup the cost of the tranfer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would honestly rather lose Defoe and Bradley, TL would be the guy who would replace them with BETTER players. IDK now, TL was a SHOWMAN!

I was down in KC for the last game and the atmosphere there is incredible, the ENTIRE stadium, clapping, jumping and chanting 'I BELEIVE THAT WE WILL WIN' the concreted stadium was moving like I have never seen our aluminum one do. TL is the guy who can make the KC Wizards -> SKC kind of change.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would not be TFC or MLSE negotiating the transfer fee, it'd be MLS. They have a much higher incentive to recoup the cost of the tranfer.
    That would run counter to the way we got into this in the first place. And to the extent MLS would handle it, it would have to reflect MLSE's vision. They aren't going to willingly stick a team behind a contract. Doing things like that would have negative implications to preserving single entity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PLOT TWIST:
    Leiweke gathers group of investors to own and operate TFC.

just kidding but it would be pretty cool

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...-all-its-teams

Where Cathal Kelly loses his shit and laments the loss of his latest source into all things MLSE. First Anselmi goes, now TL. Oh the inhumanity.....

Trying again

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle20166786/
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-22-2014 at 01:51 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...-all-its-teams

Where Cathal Kelly loses his shit and laments the loss of his latest source into all things MLSE. First Anselmi goes, now TL. Oh the inhumanity.....
    404 link..

I don't read him on principle but a freakout sadsad from him I'd be interested in.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I would honestly rather lose Defoe and Bradley, TL would be the guy who would replace them with BETTER players. IDK now, TL was a SHOWMAN!

I was down in KC for the last game and the atmosphere there is incredible, the ENTIRE stadium, clapping, jumping and chanting 'I BELEIVE THAT WE WILL WIN' the concreted stadium was moving like I have never seen our aluminum one do. TL is the guy who can make the KC Wizards -> SKC kind of change.
    The Chivas USA -> _____________ kind of change.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    The Chivas USA -> _____________ kind of change.

ooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    TFC has always been willing to spend money on DPs, well before Leiweke's arrival. The money wasn't always spent wisely, but that's another issue.

Will TFC spend 100 million dollars to acquire two players after Leiweke is gone? No, but then again, that's not necessary to augment the core of a winning team if a solid foundation is in place.

For the record, I think Bez has done more to improve our squad by way of his astute acquisitions than Leiweke has with the signings of Defoe and Bradley.

I'm very happy to have Defoe and Bradley in the fold, but they have both been in and out of the lineup all season, and they have not proven to be worth the outrageous money they signed for. The primary reason we have improved is because of the depth of our squad compared to last season, and Bez has been the architect in that regard.
    I'm scratching my head on this.
    TL put the belief in not only the fans but MLSE that we can get any player we want and we can be great. "Why not?"
    Previously, we either A) discounted a player from coming to Toronto because for some reason we felt it was beneath them to come to TO. , B) MLSE didn't pony up the cash to get the player here. or C) MLSE took the cheap road in bringing DP's here.
    TL is a huge loss. I'm not interested in bringing in no name DP's here with no impact(ex that Spanish dude they brought in here 5 years back), because MLSE was too cheap to splurge on a real DP.
    MLSE also didn't want to spend any money on a soccer stadium back in 2006. In one year TL gets them to commit $100M in improvements/upgrades and another $100M in player contracts.
    This is a sad dark day for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    PLOT TWIST:
    Leiweke gathers group of investors to own and operate TFC.

just kidding but it would be pretty cool
    It would be. I wonder if he would still be able to spend money like a drunken sailor though. Most investors actually want to turn a profit at some point.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    I'm scratching my head on this.
    TL put the belief in not only the fans but MLSE that we can get any player we want and we can be great. "Why not?"
    Previously, we either A) discounted a player from coming to Toronto because for some reason we felt it was beneath them to come to TO. , B) MLSE didn't pony up the cash to get the player here. or C) MLSE took the cheap road in bringing DP's here.
    TL is a huge loss. I'm not interested in bringing in no name DP's here with no impact(ex that Spanish dude they brought in here 5 years back), because MLSE was too cheap to splurge on a real DP.
    MLSE also didn't want to spend any money on a soccer stadium back in 2006. In one year TL gets them to commit $100M in improvements/upgrades and another $100M in player contracts.
    This is a sad dark day for TFC.

It took them 3 years before spending on this guy. This guy is not Forlan but he was a stepping stone to spending big.