Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    First off I apologize if my post was unclear.

I was referring to the act-able verb of wanting, rather than that of ridding ourselves. The want or suggestion to to get rid of him is right now, not the actual act of getting rid of him. In the future, I can adapt my writing style to something that better suits your needs if that is agreeable? Should our secretaries schedule some time to sit down and we can meet over sushi? Shit I did it again. Thicker still.

I also, I wasn't being defensive, I was mocking your incessant Defoe bashing which has, in no uncertain terms, driven well past hyperbole and hydroplaned into a corn maze of the insufferable. So no, in my option it is no longer a valid question coming from your well stated bias.
    And I agree
    I don't understand those that bash our most complete striker.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

First off I apologize if my post was unclear.

I was referring to the act-able verb of wanting, rather than that of ridding ourselves. The want or suggestion to to get rid of him is right now, not the actual act of getting rid of him. In the future, I can adapt my writing style to something that better suits your needs if that is agreeable? Should our secretaries schedule some time to sit down and we can meet over sushi? Shit I did it again. Thicker still.
    Perhaps you missed some of my earlier posts, you know deep in the corn maze, where I indicated that they should ride him out through this season as long as his health is there. No need for immediate sale. Simply take stock of his medical condition and make a football decision as to his value at the end of this season or at the end of next.

I do believe that they need to exit the contract within that time frame though for reasons that I gather you are more than familiar with by now.

Just an opinion though so you needn't worry. It probably won't happen. And on the plus side, if he stays for 3 more years you might even get an autograph from him during games in the future from the press box.

I also, I wasn't being defensive, I was mocking your incessant Defoe bashing which has, in no uncertain terms, driven well past hyperbole and hydroplaned into a corn maze of the insufferable. So no, in my option it is no longer a valid question coming from your well stated bias.
    Bashing eh?

Still looking for where I claimed he was a sh*t player.

I see plenty of references over these boards about Henry being sh*t (which isn't true) or Bendik's distribution being sh*t or Nelsen's tactics being sh*t or Jackson being, well, less than effective or Bradley being terrific or off depending on your perspective. Nope. Can't see a single one that I have ever made about his talent. Must be lost in the corn maze.

The only thing I have ever said about Defoe is that he is older, oft injured and in this league that makes for a bad contract. Is this incorrect on any level?

On the roll of the dice it could turn into a great one if he goes the remaining 3 and a half years relatively injury free. Or it could go in the direction it is currently headed and become a boat anchor around this team.

Maybe that is where I make it uncomfortable? By actually talking about a football decision that needs to be made with a "star" player? Heaven forbid that a team consider moving a veteran player. That almost never happens.

If only we could make a move to get Henry and Lampard, we'd be all set.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry I waited for a response. Drivel.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm sorry I waited for a response. Drivel.
    Why would you even wait, you make up what I say anyways…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I clarified it and you didn't listen. All you have is this forum. I won't take it from you.

Stay bitter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The only thing I have ever said about Defoe is that he is older, oft injured and in this league that makes for a bad contract. Is this incorrect on any level?
    The funny thing is, I've been reading what supporters of other MLS clubs say, and it's quite different.

They say that Bradley is overpaid, and that Gilberto is unproven.

As far as Defoe goes, there is only the highest respect and envy that we have such a great player. I even get this from the fans of Columbus.

When someone who is supposedly a fan is more negative than the supporters of a club that overall hate us, what can I say?

You need to recognize that not a few changes have occurred in the corner office, and that Mo Johnston, Paul Beirne, and Earle Cochrane are no longer continuing their wily ways, at least not with TFC.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-11-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No I clarified it and you didn't listen. All you have is this forum. I won't take it from you.

Stay bitter.
    It's easy to say goodbye. So, that's what I'll do.

As a parting gift, you might enjoy the "Leafs should sign Martin Brodeur" threads over at HHOF boards. His track record is stellar and save for age and injuries, I'm sure he'd make a great contribution to a playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The funny thing is, I've been reading what supporters of other MLS clubs say, and it's quite different.

They say that Bradley is overpaid, and that Gilberto is unproven.

As far as Defoe goes, there is only the highest respect and envy that we have such a great player. I even get this from the fans of Columbus.

When someone who is supposedly a fan is more negative than the supporters of a club that overall hate us, what can I say?

You need to recognize that not a few changes have occurred in the corner office, and that Mo Johnston, Paul Beirne, and Earle Cochrane are no longer continuing their wily ways, at least not with TFC.
    Oldtimer, focusing on a contract that could turn bad isn't the same as focusing on the player. Defoe has been nothing short of money for the games he has played. It still doesn't change the risky nature of the contract. There is a difference. Stepping back may enable more to see it.

Defend the other players such as those called out in this very thread with the same passion that a few of you have for Defoe. Henry is good. Hagglund is good. Bendik is good. Nelsen needs time as a coach. Draft picks are extremely important assets, give them time to develop.

With that, I'm done here. Enjoy the season fellas. It's been a long time coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the risk of turning this into a referendum about Pookie (and not that he needs me to defend him) but the only point he has been making (albeit with regularity) about Defoe is that he is older, oft injured and in this league that makes for a bad contract. And that is a very valid point.

I think it's when Pookie suggests moving him on before his injuries cause him more time on the sidelines than on the field, that some people get all bent out of shape. But moving Defoe on for this reason is a fair point for discussion, even if you don't agree with it.

And you can hate the idea without becoming belligerent to the person proposing it.

Just a thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Perhaps you missed some of my earlier posts, you know deep in the corn maze, where I indicated that they should ride him out through this season as long as his health is there. No need for immediate sale. Simply take stock of his medical condition and make a football decision as to his value at the end of this season or at the end of next.
    Isn't that essentially the basics, as far as player management is concerned? Not sure there's a need for a campaign, on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    At the risk of turning this into a referendum about Pookie (and not that he needs me to defend him) but the only point he has been making (albeit with regularity) about Defoe is that he is older, oft injured and in this league that makes for a bad contract. And that is a very valid point.

I think it's when Pookie suggests moving him on before his injuries cause him more time on the sidelines than on the field, that some people get all bent out of shape. But moving Defoe on for this reason is a fair point for discussion, even if you don't agree with it.

And you can hate the idea without becoming belligerent to the person proposing it.

Just a thought.
    Many on here disagree, myself included. Talking about moving a player of DeFoes pedigree on, in the first year of his contract is beyond ridiculous. He's scored 11 goals in 15 appearances, he has a legitimate shot at 17-18 goals. I think most on here would agree even if he scored 15 it would be a successful season especially with the games he's missed so far. He has nagging injuries, it's not like he's having major surgery or anything, that would make this a more relevant discussion. I agree with Pookie on lots of things but I think saying things like this are about 12 months premature.

Teams playing well. I think that 2nd Columbus goal is all on Bendik.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was hoping this thread would die off on it's own, but it's now been two days, and the conversation has shifted into an argument about a player who didn't even play in this game.

Closing this game thread. If someone wants to create a thread about the relative merits of Defoe's contract long-term, go ahead and do it.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens