RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this interesting and somewhat related to our interests. It may warrant it's own thread.

Female players say fake soccer turf violates Charter, threaten legal action

"Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    I found this interesting and somewhat related to our interests. It may warrant it's own thread.

I don't disagree with that at all. Good for the women. I didn't realize every game was on turf. Not fair on them at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to agree with them as well. I would say this topic would warrant its own thread. Very interesting topic.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Have to agree with them as well. I would say this topic would warrant its own thread. Very interesting topic.
    4 players on my outdoor team are out with knee injuries right now, a few more with other injuries. We've been playing on that turf all summer. It beats you up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    4 players on my outdoor team are out with knee injuries right now, a few more with other injuries. We've been playing on that turf all summer. It beats you up.
    That was actually one of the guarantees of the team I play for. I told them about my knee problems and they actually moved all of our home games from turf to a grass field. Albeit, its not the best field, but I prefer grass anyday especially as a keeper. Trust me I understand completely. I don't understand how they can have 13-14 year olds playing on turf.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    That was actually one of the guarantees of the team I play for. I told them about my knee problems and they actually moved all of our home games from turf to a grass field. Albeit, its not the best field, but I prefer grass anyday especially as a keeper. Trust me I understand completely. I don't understand how they can have 13-14 year olds playing on turf.
    And that turf is about all we have in Toronto. There aren't enough decent grass pitches in this city. We're going to kill kids by the time they reach 20 having them all play on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerepis View Post
    I don't understand why the P1 Visa does not work for the MLS, or perhaps they are just ignoring it to keep foreigners out? The P1 Visa was specifically designed to allow foreign athletes to play for American teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtl wins in CCL, terrible in league... Sounds oddly familiar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post

I hope Tim Lewieke and co is following this story and see why natural turf is best for soccer. Changing turf (either fake or some kind of hybrid turf) to bring Argos/CFL to BMO field is going hurt soccer than it will help us.

I personally hate playing on fake turf and my legs feels weird after playing on fake turf. So I completely understand and support anyone whose against fake turf.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/ar...ue-match-recap

You don't say?

I hope they do well because I want Canada to do well. However, I expect them to not go very far.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I hope Tim Lewieke and co is following this story and see why natural turf is best for soccer. Changing turf (either fake or some kind of hybrid turf) to bring Argos/CFL to BMO field is going hurt soccer than it will help us.
    Don't lump hybrid grass with artificial turf. Hybrid is reinforced grass, basically a superior version of grass that can withstand more wear and tear. 12/20 Premier League teams last year had some form of hybrid grass.

Even if the Argos aren't moving in, we should definitely upgrade to hybrid grass so the field can recover from the winter better. We can avoid the craptacular state the pitch was in at the beginning of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Don't lump hybrid grass with artificial turf. Hybrid is reinforced grass, basically a superior version of grass that can withstand more wear and tear. 12/20 Premier League teams last year had some form of hybrid grass.

Even if the Argos aren't moving in, we should definitely upgrade to hybrid grass so the field can recover from the winter better. We can avoid the craptacular state the pitch was in at the beginning of the season.
    The Premiere League plays on turf? Sounds bush league to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    But that turf they used in Premier league is mostly soccer friendly. You can't use that same hybrid turf to host football games (they will have to use similar hybrid turf like Green Bay Packers which means surface will be more firm instead of soft which feel more like fake turf than natural turf).

Also, recovering time to fix and adjust hybrid turf between soccer and football could take up to 2 weeks to repair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought this was mildly funny. Bradley Orr popped up in a Guardian article about players who looked visibly unhappy in their introductions at a new club.

He doesn't look particularly happy: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuSZkjRCMAA1f_x.jpg:large

Article is here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...y-new-signings

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where else to put this.

Not news per se but if people are wondering where Molinaro is for a few days/weeks/months/whatever.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 2h Tweeps. My mom had passed away. I'm taking some time off. Not sure when I'll be back on the soccer beat. Cheers, John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's the over/under on Bayern Munich's possession for the all-star game. 75%?

Lewandowski with a first half hattrick?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure where else to put this.

Not news per se but if people are wondering where Molinaro is for a few days/weeks/months/whatever.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 2h Tweeps. My mom had passed away. I'm taking some time off. Not sure when I'll be back on the soccer beat. Cheers, John
    Thanks for sharing.

If you're reading this, John: my deepest condolences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MIA SAN MIA!!!!!!! BAYERN MUNCHEN!!!!!!!!! Cant wait for the all star game. Even thou doesnt mean much, cant wait to see LEWANDOWSKI!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I always wondered about this with TFC.
    I wonder if a certain style of football fairs better in CCL while another does well in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not feeling the buzz for this ASG. Too much other stuff going on this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I wonder if a certain style of football fairs better in CCL while another does well in the league.
    Nah, it's flat out the level of competition. It's simply not that high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not so sure, when we were playing a 4-3-3 with Winter we matched up pretty well with Santos Laguna and they were much better than us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet Montreal first (as an NASL side) and Toronto second (as an MLS side) went deep into the competitions? (2008-2009 Quater-Finals, 2011-2012 Semi-Finals respectively)

Not bad for poor competition from Canada in the short modern version of the tournament eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm not so sure, when we were playing a 4-3-3 with Winter we matched up pretty well with Santos Laguna and they were much better than us.
    I think we were allowed to look okay when they didn't have much interest, when it mattered they crushed us without much issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    And yet Montreal first (as an NASL side) and Toronto second (as an MLS side) went deep into the competitions? (2008-2009 Quater-Finals, 2011-2012 Semi-Finals respectively)

Not bad for poor competition from Canada in the short modern version of the tournament eh?
    But that just proves the point. A couple of awful Canadian teams made it to a decent level at what is supposed to be a premier tournament. It's basically somewhat interested MLS vs. disinterested Mexico with a ton of meaningless filler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we were allowed to look okay when they didn't have much interest, when it mattered they crushed us without much issue.

But that just proves the point. A couple of awful Canadian teams made it to a decent level at what is supposed to be a premier tournament. It's basically somewhat interested MLS vs. disinterested Mexico with a ton of meaningless filler.
    This has been no doubt true for the first few years, but, even poor MLS teams competing well vs Liga MX 2nd teams is quite an accomplishment.

But more than this, Liga MX is no longer taking MLS teams lightly in CCL.

They're for the most part starting mostly their first teams lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No argument that when they want to play Liga MX teams pose a bigger challenge than we'd see in the league. But they are 1/4 of the teams in the tournament, MLS being another 1/4 and the balance being the usual crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    What is Montreal's style of play? They are terrible. This team is from a terrible league and a lot of their players and coaches didn't even travel and Montreal still barely beat them.