Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest that there are presently not many countries in the world where we could have stood literally side by side with an entirely different football culture and enjoyed the dynamic atmosphere , while watching young footballers battle it out on a beautiful summer's evening on a perfect pitch. If you need to get indignant at people laughing, children smiling, and a crowd uniting to enjoy the beautiful game, you're not enjoying Canada for what it represents so well.

Enjoyed the game. It was fun.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/20...er-for-canada/

I just came across this blog post that really made me boil, basically decrying attempts by Canadian supporters to connect with Ghanian supporters during the game. Apparently, they left the game after the end of the first half because of it...

think what is missing is discussion of the context of supporters of ‘old countries’ – I can’t speak for people that support their old European country whom their only connection with is through a great grandfather, but for those newly immigrated from the global south and their recent offsprings, we live in a context where – despite Canada’s self-proclaimed idea as accepting/tolerant – racism is alive and well and racialized people continue to be seen as outsiders. My roommate and I are both first generation immigrants from Hong Kong and I recently had a conversation with him about how we’d have mixed feelings about supporting Canada over HK and it was tied to this idea that Canadian football support can be exclusionary, a reflection of broader inequities, and just as we don’t necessarily feel completely at home here in general, we can’t feel at home supporting Canadian football. We’re labelled as outsiders, so why should we pretend we aren’t? Ironically, football itself is an outsider sport in Canada (at least according to mainstream culture, even though it’s certainly not true based on numbers). I remember an article on the star and the comments posted along with it during the S. African world cup that blamed the world cup and decreased productivity on basically ‘lazy immigrants’. Support for soccer for some in migrant communities can be linked to resistance against these notion and this call for purity of Canadian support seems more to be a part of the broader discourses of racism rather than resistance – what reason do these communities have to support Canadian football if that’s the case? And speaking as a Canadian football supporter, who attends games/follows youth development, being told that my football traditions not only don’t count but should be actively removed from what it means to be a Canadian supporter really dampens my support for the Canadian national team. What is advocated only makes Canadian football less relevant to racialized communities, communities that make up the majority of many Canadian population centres. Football support in Canada involves a complex conversation about race, migration, and identity, if Canadian supporter culture is about erasing these discussions, you can count me out … the thing I am glad about is that this position seems to be held by a small minority. The gestures made by Canadian supporters to connect with the Ghanian supporters will forever be a highlight in my journey as a supporter of Canadian football, and I hope Canadian football supporter culture can continue to be organic and inclusive.

Flamehawk I'm on my way out the door to Joe's and will return to address the content but appreciate the irony of the subject matter and the picture linked with the blog.

Ghana flag on top, Canada flag on bottom, both upside down. It's just an upside- down picture but the effect is more insulting than the intent much like the article will be more insulting than important.

I believe you were at the game? Did you not feel as if we all belonged there and showed how we could unite?

If not I am sorry. It's always my intent and goal.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Flamehawk I'm on my way out the door to Joe's and will return to address the content but appreciate the irony of the subject matter and the picture linked with the blog.

Ghana flag on top, Canada flag on bottom, both upside down. It's just an upside- down picture but the effect is more insulting than the intent much like the article will be more insulting than important.

I believe you were at the game? Did you not feel as if we all belonged there and showed how we could unite?

If not I am sorry. It's always my intent and goal.
    Oh no, not at all. I've had issues with Canada games before (I remember hearing racist chants/H1N1 etc.) but thought this game was amazing. I loved how folks were trying to engage with Ghana fans - I am just upset at the attitude to one or two individuals who saw this in a negative light. And that this negativity I feel is preventing the game from growing amongst certain groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am with flamehawk and I am shocked with the attitude and tone of that blog post.

How I saw it. First of all if you jump to the conclusion that it was a huge contingent of Ghanaian-Canadians cheering for Ghana in the first game (and doing a magnificent job of it) not merely Ghanaians, you go a long way to being on the right track.

Second of all, if you did not notice that the Ghanaian Canadians underlined, not who they were cheering for in the second game, but who they ARE, by singing O Canada prior to the Canada Finland game, you were either not paying attention or have issues that get in the way of understanding.

It was a wonderful night and it made me proud to love the game and love the people who love along with me. I have had some soccer sympathy for Ghana ever since that Suarez handball robbed them in South Africa 2010 on the men's side of things.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone is happily supporting our team, they are a fellow supporter.....God forgive if group happiness breaks out....the blog poster has huge issues and should get another hobby , preferably one that includes other human beings .....esp ones from different cultures.......He left the stadium ? Thank god....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say is last night was about being United and enjoying a great evening together. One of the best at BMO, what an amazing comeback too of the you go Girls !!!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy not from Toronto whines about the subtleties of how Toronto does multiculturalism and sport.

He got called a xenophobe and took off and needed to justify things in his own head with a blog post. What he should have done is stayed around and then asked a few questions in order to understand, even if he disagreed. Even if you write a blog comment like that - don't hit send. Cause now he's just coming across as a guy with ownership issues.

You want a whitebread hardline us vs them approach to soccer support? It ain't gonna happen in Toronto.

Also, buddy obviously hasn't seen a World Cup cause home and away supporters going to other games pick sides all the time, for various reasons - and nobody complains about the support.

I also have no truck for the "You are here, act Canadian." attitude that he buries in the midst of all that.

Canada is better then that.

Hope the guy learns. But, from his blog, I don't think he's into listening much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the usual supporter section on that SouthEast corner within BMO filled with the normal rowdy folks for these games? Not that I personally have anything against it, but I have some young cousins with tickets on the very right of section 113. I would advise them to switch it up if say this was a Toronto FC game, so will it be the same for these world cup fixtures?

Thanks boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Is the usual supporter section on that SouthEast corner within BMO filled with the normal rowdy folks for these games? Not that I personally have anything against it, but I have some young cousins with tickets on the very right of section 113. I would advise them to switch it up if say this was a Toronto FC game, so will it be the same for these world cup fixtures?

Thanks boys.
    Not to the extent of a tfc game but either way with the other World Cup games held there not involving canada I doubt there's anything to worry about. I hope the sizable Korean foptball support in the city represent Asia well but I don't think the support looks the same as canada's. much more family-based. As for quarter final, the n Koreans will only have their family members and I'd be pleasantly surprised if any fellow chinese will bother showin up haha (though I will)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post

Thanks boys.
    Honestly, unless Canada is there the V's that go will be there for the sport alone. Wed and possibly Sat will be tame.

An issue just occurred to me though.

Canada could likely go through but will be playing Germany in Edmonton AT THE SAME TIME people have bought tickets for the likely North Korea vs US game here in Toronto.

While I intended to support the game Toronto is hosting in the tourney, there's no way I'll be attending INSTEAD of watching Canada.

So unless Canada beat North Korea by 4 goals I'll beat Joe's watching this one and have a free ticket for whomsoever wants to the game.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-10-2014 at 11:05 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, unless Canada is there the V's that go will be there for the sport alone. Wed and possibly Sat will be tame.

Canada could likely go through but will be playing Germany in Edmonton AT THE SAME TIME people have bought tickets for the likely North Korea vs US game here in Toronto.

While I intended to support the game Toronto is hosting in the tourney, there's no way I'll be attending INSTEAD of watching Canada.

So unless Canada beat North Korea by 4 goals I'll beat Joe's watching this one and have a free ticket for whomsoever wants to the game.
    Whats the chill plan for Wednesday? I am planning on only attending one of the two games, not sure what one yet. So Joe's will either be a before or after thing depending on my choice.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to echo a lot of people's comments. Like Villa TFC, I have attended many Canada matches since the 80s in Toronto & Montreal and the Ghanians have set the standard for supporting Canada and their land of birth or heritage compared to the boorish behaviour of others not supporting Canada from Italy to Jamaica to Honduras to Poland to Iran.

I echo flamehawk that the gesture made by the Voyageurs to applaud the Ghanians on Tuesday and then connect on Friday is the inclusion what I want in my supporters group. As gunnerken said, I don't think we would have seen this outside of Canada. Given football is an outsider sport in Canada, it is delicious that we have people espousing exclusionary tactics.

I had to wipe away tears from eyes more than once during the match and not because Canada was losing 2-0. It was a great night on and off the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    I have to echo a lot of people's comments. Like Villa TFC, I have attended many Canada matches since the 80s in Toronto & Montreal and the Ghanians have set the standard for supporting Canada and their land of birth or heritage compared to the boorish behaviour of others not supporting Canada from Italy to Jamaica to Honduras to Poland to Iran.

I echo flamehawk that the gesture made by the Voyageurs to applaud the Ghanians on Tuesday and then connect on Friday is the inclusion what I want in my supporters group. As gunnerken said, I don't think we would have seen this outside of Canada. Given football is an outsider sport in Canada, it is delicious that we have people espousing exclusionary tactics.

I had to wipe away tears from eyes more than once during the match and not because Canada was losing 2-0. It was a great night on and off the field.
    I realize that this is not what those folks are getting at, but they really do give off the impression that they want to be 'Green Street Hooligans', hardcore thugs - "You're either with us, or against us!". How else could you see having a friendly back and forth between football supporters and encouraging more people to support the Canadian national team as a bad thing? I really don't understand comments like this one on the blog comments: "when his efforts to entice more vocal Canadian support were to effectively insult those who had made the trip for not being noisy enough" - referring to how one of the capos ran over to the Ghanian section to lead Ghanian-Canadian fans in chants. Are we that insecure about ourselves as Canadian football supporters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh god. Lord Bob writes a blog complaining and insulting Toronto supporters. Shock, horror.

You should have seen his rants when the Whitecaps got "screwed" in the 2011 Voyageurs Cup.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we that insecure about ourselves as Canadian football supporters?
    Just quoting it for effect.

My eyes were open this past week in reference in where we've been, where we are and where we could be.

I was one of two capos but it was Eli, a newer capo who ran by me and saw the potential. The other section had shown some syncing with us and he went over to let them know what was up next so they could formally join in.

And as referred to above the man in question has a reputation of being hardline opinionated about what makes a supporter but that doesn't mean as much to me as growing the game because at its heart it should be about inclusion and working together united.

mr k. Your post just made me so happy. Thank you.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an agenda filled piece made up of a bunch of lies and fabrications to fit under the author's agenda...you fly all the way from Vancouver to walk out on the ladies who are on the pitch...poor form

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel so enheartened by the responses on here. I have to say, if that guy's views dominated the supporter's section, it would've been the last time I attended a Canadian national team game .. or well, at least stand in the supporters' section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    an agenda filled piece made up of a bunch of lies and fabrications to fit under the author's agenda...you fly all the way from Vancouver to walk out on the ladies who are on the pitch...poor form
    I would almost put him in Bill Archer territory.... but not as animated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see both sides of this story. First off, two things should be stated. One, it is a assumption on the bloggers part that the Ghana fans in the section were Canadian residents/ Canadian citizens / born in Canada. Two. it's an assumption that all these fans on friday at BMO, were the same ones Tuesday cheering against Canada. I tend to believe there is a bit of a grey area there, where some are Canadians and some never will be. However, if anyone had called me a xenophobe for suggesting Canadians cheer for Canada. I would have left too. Ben is can be a horses ass, but he's not a xenophobe.

Look at it this way. When I run into someone who is as second generation Canadian as I am, and they cheer for the dutch the whole world cup and not for Canada when they come to town, it bothers me. They have no problem draping themselves in a flag, booking work off and get drunk and screaming at a TV but they won't do it for Canada. Then there are others who live, more importantly, were born here who cheer against Canada like our Qualifier vs Jamaica in 2008. Like it or not, we are viewed as an afterthought for many and I tend not to enjoy the conversations that come from that. I say dutch and use that example because I wasn't there friday, but I'm willing to bet this was more about citizenship and support rather than race, which has been suggested. That's a very slippery slope. I'm willing to bet that his anger comes not from a place of looking for differences, but that he feels that many of those Ghana fans were just as Canadian as he is, no more no less. Why is he the only one supporting Canada as a first choice?

Granted, he could have made the argument a hell of a lot better and handled the situation in a different way im sure, but I get that to be the idea. For me, I love everything about Canada and take pride in all of the people who have come here and comprise what is far and away the most multi cultural country in the world, so it bothers me when some do not embrace it.

It would be so easy for soccer to be a place where we come together. For many it is, for many, the idea of that is joke and that drives me insane.

Are we that insecure about ourselves as Canadian football supporters?
    In short, yes. Many of us who care about the game greatly have walked into situations where we our outnumbered by our own citizens (born and raised) cheering for other countries. And that gets old fast. When people born and raised in this country and bail to play for a country to which they have no lineage, people get upset. When citizens treat our country as a stop gap until something better comes along, people get upset.
    So we have been burned by people who take advantage of a country that will always strive give and not expect a lot in return. Some people don't care. They are small minority but they're out there. EG http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07...an-government/

I realize that this is not what those folks are getting at, but they really do give off the impression that they want to be 'Green Street Hooligans', hardcore thugs - "You're either with us, or against us!".
    Maybe they give that impression to you, but I think it's misplaced. You can take it with a grain of salt, but I'm sure if you were to ask him, you are exactly the type of person that the original blog poster thanks his lucky stars spends time, money and enthusiasm at national team games. New Canadians and Old Canadians are one and the same in my opinion. Certainly you're the type of person that I want there and the type of person we need if we are ever to gain traction as supporters.

I saw a girl (9) at the Ecuador match years ago with a Canada hat and an Ecuador shirt. I thought it was cute and what Canada is supposed to be about: Bringing your history to a land of opportunity in order to live a better life. I think it takes a lot of balls to cheer against your country of birth, one in which you still reside, to cheer for a country you may or may not have even visited.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 08-10-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Look at it this way. When I run into someone who is as second generation Canadian as I am, and they cheer for the dutch the whole world cup and not for Canada when they come to town, it bothers me. They have no problem draping themselves in a flag, booking work off and get drunk and screaming at a TV but they won't do it for Canada. Then there are others who live, more importantly, were born here who cheer against Canada like our Qualifier vs Jamaica in 2008. Like it or not, we are viewed as an afterthought for many and I tend not to enjoy the conversations that come from that. I say dutch and use that example because I wasn't there friday, but I'm willing to bet this was more about citizenship and support rather than race, which has been suggested. That's a very slippery slope. I'm willing to bet that his anger comes not from a place of looking for differences, but that he feels that many of those Ghana fans were just as Canadian as he is, no more no less. Why is he the only one supporting Canada as a first choice?

Now, I can't speak for fans of European nations, well nor can I speak for anyone other than myself really, but from my perspective, it's a little different than Latino/African/Asian fans dealing with a context a racism. I have certainly had my share of berating local fans for being glory hunters (remember getting into a heated argument with someone supporting New Jersey against Toronto for the NBA playoffs during my first year of university … and I mean I grew up with a whole school of Arsenal and Man Utd fans in high school as a Wolves fan [though this makes even less sense living in Hong Kong]). As I was suggesting in my original post, for Latino/African/Asian fans (and not saying this is a universal truth, simply my own experiences) there is a perceived/actual alienation from the broader Canadian society in general, which dissuades us from supporting Canadian national team. Now, I've been guilty time and time again for going off topic - so let me preface again that I am not intending to argue on the merits of whether or not racism/alienation is alive and well in Canadian society (I believe so .. if you don't, we can discuss this another time) .. I am only attempting to provide some insight into the issue.

Anyways, this alienation not only dissuades people from supporting the Canadian nats, it encourages people 'sometimes' to cheer against Canada as a big 'f u' to the circumstance of being alienated. I mean, sports and football especially, may be the few arenas where our identities can be associated with strength versus all the negative stereotypes we experience day-to-day. Sports and football, at least on paper, serve as a much more even playing field where our identities may attain value through besting Canada and other Western nations. In fact, I have had multiple friends of various non-white ethnic backgrounds question my support for the Canadian national team, and I know I myself have mixed feelings about this because of the racial/political context ... maybe it is because I see supporting football in general as a challenge to ingrained racist ideas seeing as football itself can be seen by the mainstream culture as 'foreign' and thus, lesser.

Maybe I am reading too much into it (as I often do), but I saw the gesture of raising the Ghanian flag as to say that we won't judge those for supporting the Ghanian team (because of the complexities of this issue) and we'd be happy for them to join us in our support of the Canadian national team.

For me, I love everything about Canada and take pride in all of the people who have come here and comprise what is far and away the most multi cultural country in the world, so it bothers me when some do not embrace it.

The critique would be that perhaps the image of Canada's multiculturalism only exists to the point of having many people from different corners of the world live within its borders, beyond that we continue to have income disparities and other forms of racism that prevents many from embracing the idea of being Canadian. It was the experience for me. I was born here in Canada but grew up in HK attending a Canadian school. I was so fond of the 'idea' of Canada that my parents told me I refused to call myself Chinese in grade 2 (..itself an example of internalized racism). But finally living here in Canada eight years ago, I realized that it was increasingly difficult to call Canada home as being/identifying as 'Canadian' was not as accessible as I had thought. Now, I am sure many don't share this experience, but I know many that have.

In short, yes. Many of us who care about the game greatly have walked into situations where we our outnumbered by our own citizens (born and raised) cheering for other countries. And that gets old fast. When people born and raised in this country and bail to play for a country to which they have no lineage, people get upset. When citizens treat our country as a stop gap until something better comes along, people get upset.
    So we have been burned by people who take advantage of a country that will always strive give and not expect a lot in return. Some people don't care. They are small minority but they're out there. EG http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07...an-government/

I'll go no further than to say that I disagree and that these cases are overstated, that we pay much more attention to these cases than how Canada often creates the context for people leaving their homes and having to migrate to Canada, that maybe certain individuals rightfully should not need to feel 'grateful' about being able to move to Canada. There's no need to debate this point, but simply to again state that this is a perspective held by many, including me, and because of it, they might feel reluctant to embrace the Canadian national football team.

Maybe they give that impression to you, but I think it's misplaced. .

Fair enough, I should've thought more about suggesting that they sounded like hooligan wannabes, didn't serve any purpose for me to post that.

----

I guess the other point I have been implying though is that while the blogger and others that support this view claim to and have not overtly brought in issues of race and have actively claimed that it's not about race, I am saying it may be about race for some people that choose to support their 'home countries' over Canada and that by failing to recognize the complexities of this decision (by passing negative judgment over this choice by some) they are inadvertently (though I am sure unintentionally) acting in a manner that is consistent with xenophobia, and more specifically, racism. Note: not calling anyone racist, simply that this behaviour can be perceived as reinforcing racism - by papering over it - and lead racialized people to even less likely embrace Canadian football.
    Last edited by flamehawk; 08-10-2014 at 08:32 PM.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just on this item- the Edmonton quarterfinal is at 8pm Eastern, and the Toronto quarterfinal is 5pm Eastern. You were looking at regional times probably.

Plus- we only need to beat North Korea by 2 goals in order to make the group winner tiebreaker I think- as we are playing against North Korea for it- some might say for goal differential goals count double
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhhh.. I don't want to wade into this so I'm gonna post pics from Friday night over in the other Canada forum thread..... :-P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your View of Canada is unfortunate man, and the word race was injected far too much for my liking .I Will leave this alone.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Just on this item- the Edmonton quarterfinal is at 8pm Eastern, and the Toronto quarterfinal is 5pm Eastern. You were looking at regional times probably.

Plus- we only need to beat North Korea by 2 goals in order to make the group winner tiebreaker I think- as we are playing against North Korea for it- some might say for goal differential goals count double
    Thanks for this.

BTW The viewing tomorrow of Canada vs Dear Leader will be at Football Factory on Bathurst just S of Queen.

And I will have Canada vs Jamaica tix for 112.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, I can't speak for fans of European nations, well nor can I speak for anyone other than myself really, but from my perspective, it's a little different than Latino/African/Asian fans dealing with a context a racism. I have certainly had my share of berating local fans for being glory hunters (remember getting into a heated argument with someone supporting New Jersey against Toronto for the NBA playoffs during my first year of university … and I mean I grew up with a whole school of Arsenal and Man Utd fans in high school as a Wolves fan [though this makes even less sense living in Hong Kong]). As I was suggesting in my original post, for Latino/African/Asian fans (and not saying this is a universal truth, simply my own experiences) there is a perceived/actual alienation from the broader Canadian society in general, which dissuades us from supporting Canadian national team. Now, I've been guilty time and time again for going off topic - so let me preface again that I am not intending to argue on the merits of whether or not racism/alienation is alive and well in Canadian society (I believe so .. if you don't, we can discuss this another time) .. I am only attempting to provide some insight into the issue.

Anyways, this alienation not only dissuades people from supporting the Canadian nats, it encourages people 'sometimes' to cheer against Canada as a big 'f u' to the circumstance of being alienated. I mean, sports and football especially, may be the few arenas where our identities can be associated with strength versus all the negative stereotypes we experience day-to-day. Sports and football, at least on paper, serve as a much more even playing field where our identities may attain value through besting Canada and other Western nations. In fact, I have had multiple friends of various non-white ethnic backgrounds question my support for the Canadian national team, and I know I myself have mixed feelings about this because of the racial/political context ... maybe it is because I see supporting football in general as a challenge to ingrained racist ideas seeing as football itself can be seen by the mainstream culture as 'foreign' and thus, lesser.

Maybe I am reading too much into it (as I often do), but I saw the gesture of raising the Ghanian flag as to say that we won't judge those for supporting the Ghanian team (because of the complexities of this issue) and we'd be happy for them to join us in our support of the Canadian national team.

The critique would be that perhaps the image of Canada's multiculturalism only exists to the point of having many people from different corners of the world live within its borders, beyond that we continue to have income disparities and other forms of racism that prevents many from embracing the idea of being Canadian. It was the experience for me. I was born here in Canada but grew up in HK attending a Canadian school. I was so fond of the 'idea' of Canada that my parents told me I refused to call myself Chinese in grade 2 (..itself an example of internalized racism). But finally living here in Canada eight years ago, I realized that it was increasingly difficult to call Canada home as being/identifying as 'Canadian' was not as accessible as I had thought. Now, I am sure many don't share this experience, but I know many that have.

I'll go no further than to say that I disagree and that these cases are overstated, that we pay much more attention to these cases than how Canada often creates the context for people leaving their homes and having to migrate to Canada, that maybe certain individuals rightfully should not need to feel 'grateful' about being able to move to Canada. There's no need to debate this point, but simply to again state that this is a perspective held by many, including me, and because of it, they might feel reluctant to embrace the Canadian national football team.

Fair enough, I should've thought more about suggesting that they sounded like hooligan wannabes, didn't serve any purpose for me to post that.

----

I guess the other point I have been implying though is that while the blogger and others that support this view claim to and have not overtly brought in issues of race and have actively claimed that it's not about race, I am saying it may be about race for some people that choose to support their 'home countries' over Canada and that by failing to recognize the complexities of this decision (by passing negative judgment over this choice by some) they are inadvertently (though I am sure unintentionally) acting in a manner that is consistent with xenophobia, and more specifically, racism. Note: not calling anyone racist, simply that this behaviour can be perceived as reinforcing racism - by papering over it - and lead racialized people to even less likely embrace Canadian football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Your View of Canada is unfortunate man, and the word race was injected far too much for my liking .I Will leave this alone.
    Flamehawk, Califax is wise not walking into this ugly turn of discussion.

You admitted more than once you overthink things. Let me reenforce that and simplify- You show up, you cheer with us, you're one of us.

But a lot of what you say makes it sound like cheering against us should be welcomed. It's not but it's one's choice. Justify it all they want, they are an opponent but please, let's not confuse that with enemy. That is the tone of the now infamous blog. As Cali alludes, there is too much concentration on race and using this game as a symbol for a quagmire of a much bigger issue.

I'll be pming you. I want to hear more on your take but please let's keep this thread more about the good of the tournament of which we've seen an unprecedented amount thus far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flamehawk, Califax is wise not walking into this ugly turn of discussion.

You admitted more than once you overthink things. Let me reenforce that and simplify- You show up, you cheer with us, you're one of us.

But a lot of what you say makes it sound like cheering against us should be welcomed. It's not but it's one's choice. Justify it all they want, they are an opponent but please, let's not confuse that with enemy. That is the tone of the now infamous blog. As Cali alludes, there is too much concentration on race and using this game as a symbol for a quagmire of a much bigger issue.

I'll be pming you. I want to hear more on your take but please let's keep this thread more about the good of the tournament of which we've seen an unprecedented amount thus far.
    I am not trying to make a value statement this decision made by some. Indeed My decision to support the Canadian national team suggest that I may not necessarily subscribe to it. I want more people to subscribe to Canadian soccer. All I'm saying is that sports loyalties are complicated and that avoiding taking the tone of this blogger and gestures that engage w fans cheering for other counyries will go a long way in encouraging more people to support canadian soccer. I am not trying to start a debate on racism and sorry if I have brought the thread in that direction.

On the different note are people planning to organize a trip for the finals in Montreal?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not trying to make a value statement this decision made by some. Indeed My decision to support the Canadian national team suggest that I may not necessarily subscribe to it. I want more people to subscribe to Canadian soccer. All I'm saying is that sports loyalties are complicated and that avoiding taking the tone of this blogger and gestures that engage w fans cheering for other counyries will go a long way in encouraging more people to support canadian soccer. I am not trying to start a debate on racism and sorry if I have brought the thread in that direction.

On the different note are people planning to organize a trip for the finals in Montreal?

I reckon that will be a decider on Tuesday or Saturday. We'll be planning out the rest of the week tomorrow with pints at the FF I'm sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realizing if Canada goes through, their quarter finals game is at the same time as TFC. Tough decision.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realizing if Canada goes through, their quarter finals game is at the same time as TFC. Tough decision.
    Canada vs Germany game is at 6 PM EST, it's in EDM.

TFC vs KC s at 8:30 PM EST, it's n KC.

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
    Canada vs Germany game is at 6 PM EST, it's in EDM.

TFC vs KC s at 8:30 PM EST, it's n KC.

GlenM
    It is actually 8 pm eastern with the US-North Korea game at BMO at 5 pm. Plan on going to the game and heading up to Joe's after.