Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can u feel it, U20 World Cup begins!!!

Hope the RPB tradition continues and rocks 112 with the U20 World Cup, it is important to give the future of the CWNT a true BMO Field experience. With TFC on the road the next few weeks, it's time to go all out and show our support.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, not really ... unless they're in beach volleyball uniforms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be there with my daughter (in 112)...still have some of my voice left after the Montreal game!

Hopefully we can get the section (and crowd) rockin' for our girls ! I CAN feel it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are the ticket sales like?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    what are the ticket sales like?
    Ticketmaster shows a few hundred left for tomorrow's game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty excited about the game tomorrow, taking advantage of the four tickets deal. I am still really bummed out that Toronto won't be getting a single Women's World Cup game next year because of Pan Am, which noone even cares about.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anywhere to buy tix without paying absurd fees?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I am pretty excited about the game tomorrow, taking advantage of the four tickets deal. I am still really bummed out that Toronto won't be getting a single Women's World Cup game next year because of Pan Am, which noone even cares about.
    I am very interested to see how well the PanAm games does. I'll probably check out a few events but honestly have no idea if it'll be a success.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SUPER hyped. Unfortunately I can't make the game tomorrow. Will definitely try to go on Friday though. This tournament will do nicely as a teaser for next year.

We can do some real damage in the U-20s though. Gold is within reach. If nothing else it should be a great experience for the young girls who are expected to contribute for the senior team next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I am very interested to see how well the PanAm games does. I'll probably check out a few events but honestly have no idea if it'll be a success.
    depends...if PanAM can get most of the events (especially basketball) to be qualifiers for the 2016 Olympics, we'll get better athletes...would love to see the soccer be the olympic qualifier

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    anywhere to buy tix without paying absurd fees?
    The link below will take you to a pass for all the games for very cheap. You will have to pick it up from socceronly at Joe's I suspect pregame. Feel free to ask around for him or myself. We'll both be there early.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?36386-Five-passes-left-to-U20

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Hope the RPB tradition continues and rocks 112 with the U20 World Cup, it is important to give the future of the CWNT a true BMO Field experience. With TFC on the road the next few weeks, it's time to go all out and show our support.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    See you there.

I'm pretty sure everybody going tonight, people here, and all the local V's care that we didn't get any games for the WWC June 6 - July 5 "because of" the Pan Am games July 11- 24(footy).

There's road trips being talked about already if you're interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada appear to have striker issues, (no one strikes) possession was good and several good chances were wasted, hopefully they can improve next game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Canada appear to have striker issues, (no one strikes)...
    So has every Canadian NT since the 70's.....except for Sinclair and Lang with the U20 women in 2002.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada appear to have striker issues, (no one strikes) possession was good and several good chances were wasted, hopefully they can improve next game.
    Also, Canada was very predictable and slow (holding on the ball too long to make a pass) which made easier for Ghana to defend against Canada and hit them with counter attack. Of course, bad goalkeeping was difference between draw and loss for Canada.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kadiesha Buchanan was a monster on D #5, a definite star in the future . Maybe the best CB in the tournament and Nichelle Prince changed the game as a striker when she came on as a substitute , great touch and balls out attitude . we will need more of that . She should start . We had the majority of possession but got flustered on the attack . If not for the goalkeepers rebound for 1 goal , we would have broken them down . Our fine passing should have continued into the box instead of individual efforts , not having an outlet pass or give and go . And too many corners or free kicks in the air where we were completely dominated , by the greater size advantage of Ghana .After so many failures we should have tried short quick on the ground passes to create better chances . We should have tied or won .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second half rocked, well done Canada !!! Much improved performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second half rocked, well done Canada !!! Much improved performance.
    I had an amazing time. One of my more memorable experiences at bmo field. Loved engaging with Ghanaian fans. This is how we grow support for Canadian football.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was an amazing evening! The Ghana fans singing "Oh Canada" was brilliant and felt like a breakthrough moment in supporting Canada. The celebration at the end felt like we had won the world cup! 8-)

Fort York Redcoat - Thank you! You did a great job especially in the first half keeping everyone going.
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woooo what a game! Awesome job everybody! I had a blast from Shoeless, to the game itself.

The Ghana fans were also a lot of fun, great class by waving their flag as well aha.

Not to mention what a comeback...now if Canada could actually get a goalie that doesn't scare me as much as Toskala did we could be ok.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great comeback by our girls in red in the second half...the 2 substitutions were critical (easy to say since they both scored!) and they seemed to gain a lot of confidence going forward as the game progressed. The Finns were very aggressive early but seemed to tire in the second half.
    The Ghanian dynamic was amazing! Especially after Tuesday's defeat, which left a sour taste and then to have their energy on our side...the combo flag pole move was epic.
    Thanks to Pete (and the other capo who waltzed over and whipped up the Ghana section into a frenzy at one point) for leading the charge...an awesome night for me and my daughter to spend together.

And another first for me at BMO...the Mexican wave...who'd have thunk it?

Good luck in Montreal...Go Canada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was some great football to watch last night. The games have been quite entertaining. Some of these girls at their young age make some of our senior men look bad. Fast, Physical, and a lot of talent.
    I wish the MLS would do what J league does in Japan where every team has a ladies affiliate team. Really the only difference between womens footie and mens footie are the ponytails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    That was some great football to watch last night. The games have been quite entertaining. Some of these girls at their young age make some of our senior men look bad. Fast, Physical, and a lot of talent.
    I wish the MLS would do what J league does in Japan where every team has a ladies affiliate team. Really the only difference between womens footie and mens footie are the ponytails.
    Was just thinking this yesterday. I would love to get season tickets for a TFC ladies team.

Really makes me think that the naysayers that continue to denigrate the women's game are just plain sexist.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the best nights supporting Canada at home I've ever had. Thanks to all who made it out and lent their voices. Enlisting the Ghanain support was heart warming as was seeing Miss Emma Fletcher #20 raise my Voyageurs scarf. The girls were truly thankful for our support through this, everyone! Great job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great come back and great energy from the crowd. One of the best match experiences I have ever had.

In 1987, the men's u16 world cup took place here and games were at Varsity stadium. My mom took me to see Canada play in my first international competition and it was something I'll never forget. Last night, I took my 7 year daughter to see her first international match, with my mom! Again, something I will keep in my heart until I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What an amazing evening. Easily one of the best live match experiences I have ever attended. When Canada came charging out for the second half you knew they were going to try their hardest, but even in your wildest dreams it was hard to imagine we'd score three unanswered goals and win.

And as for the Ghanaians? Wow. I have been attending international matches in this city since the days of the Toronto Blizzard. I've seen 40+ countries play here at U-16, U-20 and senior level, men and women. I have seen national teams from South and Central America, the Caribbean, North America, Europe, Africa and Asia and not one group of supporters from anyone of those countries has ever come close to matching the Ghanaians for enthusiasm, energy and most importantly for me, class! I'm not going to name names here, but I have been at matches where the hyphenated Canadians of some countries refuse to stand for the Canadian national anthem or talk right through it. I've seen Canadian teams booed by 'Canadian' fans simply for beating their parents' team. The Ghanaians showed everyone how it's done: be proud of your heritage and your country, but never turn your back on your home. Cheer for both enthusiastically.

TFC should sign Michael Essien just so we can have several thousand Ghanaians rocking BMO every week!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great night, great result, and great energy out of section 112, etc. I took 11 friends with me and most of them as well as others we told we were attending the game did not know Canada was even hosting the event. Marketing fail as I feel if better promoted the stadium would of been filled.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attended last night's games with my wife and two life-long soccer playing daughters. Everything said above I heartily echo.
    The way the Ghanian-Canadians got behind the Canadian team was incredible. The way their afro-beat wrapped itself around "O Canada" had me wiping tears of joy.
    The comeback and the quality of both teams.
    I entered the stadium yesterday in one category - wondering why MLSE has not launched a Women's TFC.
    I left the stadium yesterday in another category - firmly convinced that to continue without a Women's TFC is simply staggering...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/20...er-for-canada/

I just came across this blog post that really made me boil, basically decrying attempts by Canadian supporters to connect with Ghanian supporters during the game. Apparently, they left the game after the end of the first half because of it...

think what is missing is discussion of the context of supporters of ‘old countries’ – I can’t speak for people that support their old European country whom their only connection with is through a great grandfather, but for those newly immigrated from the global south and their recent offsprings, we live in a context where – despite Canada’s self-proclaimed idea as accepting/tolerant – racism is alive and well and racialized people continue to be seen as outsiders. My roommate and I are both first generation immigrants from Hong Kong and I recently had a conversation with him about how we’d have mixed feelings about supporting Canada over HK and it was tied to this idea that Canadian football support can be exclusionary, a reflection of broader inequities, and just as we don’t necessarily feel completely at home here in general, we can’t feel at home supporting Canadian football. We’re labelled as outsiders, so why should we pretend we aren’t? Ironically, football itself is an outsider sport in Canada (at least according to mainstream culture, even though it’s certainly not true based on numbers). I remember an article on the star and the comments posted along with it during the S. African world cup that blamed the world cup and decreased productivity on basically ‘lazy immigrants’. Support for soccer for some in migrant communities can be linked to resistance against these notion and this call for purity of Canadian support seems more to be a part of the broader discourses of racism rather than resistance – what reason do these communities have to support Canadian football if that’s the case? And speaking as a Canadian football supporter, who attends games/follows youth development, being told that my football traditions not only don’t count but should be actively removed from what it means to be a Canadian supporter really dampens my support for the Canadian national team. What is advocated only makes Canadian football less relevant to racialized communities, communities that make up the majority of many Canadian population centres. Football support in Canada involves a complex conversation about race, migration, and identity, if Canadian supporter culture is about erasing these discussions, you can count me out … the thing I am glad about is that this position seems to be held by a small minority. The gestures made by Canadian supporters to connect with the Ghanian supporters will forever be a highlight in my journey as a supporter of Canadian football, and I hope Canadian football supporter culture can continue to be organic and inclusive.