Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statistically teams in this league lose half of their away games. #perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the howls from the critics have some merit. I think that Nelsen needs to feel the heat. The TFC faithful fan was pitched on a season of improvement and quality. Right now it is looking like regression and factory rejects. It is time to dig deep. Points from the next two games must be gained. Tim L. promised a new era....tonight looked like a re-run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    I think the howls from the critics have some merit. I think that Nelsen needs to feel the heat. The TFC faithful fan was pitched on a season of improvement and quality. Right now it is looking like regression and factory rejects. It is time to dig deep. Points from the next two games must be gained. Tim L. promised a new era....tonight looked like a re-run.
    But in no world is it literally a regression. Tonight might have looked like it, but every single team in this league has nights like this. This season is a vast improvement, and most importantly, we're only going to get better with the assets, future cap space, and commitment from the front off we have. D.C. has none of that. But some people want to trade places on the basis of one game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC are 3 points away from matching their point total from last season. It's nearly August.

Talk of regression is a bit much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    DC with one DP and 1/3 of our budget cleaned our clock tonight..they had a huge roster turnover like us but they seem to be gelling..its coaching...
    This was the only team in the league last year that was worse than TFC. The turn-around has been remarkable for them & shows how inept TFC has been in 7 previous years. Our current point total would have us in 2nd last in the West - lucky to be in the weaker East. Could you imagine where we would be without Defoe? Has there really been fundamental change or just a big DP wedge been thrown at the problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Statistically teams in this league lose half of their away games. #perspective.
    Not a meaningful stat, unless our goal is to be an average team while spending top of the league on payroll. That run of form would also equate to being on the edge of making the playoffs or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the scoreline is very flattering to DCU, TFC were the better team in the first half. If Oduro or Moore score on their chances in the first half or that blatant PK is called on Defoe getting grabbed we probably win that game. The dynamic of the game totally changes. I'm not willing to hit the panic button just yet. I do however think if we lose against the Impact Nelsen will be gone.

Two things I don't want to see in Montreal. Warner or Moore starting. Osorio partnered with Bradley and Gilberto playing under Defoe is whats needed.
    Last edited by habstfc; 07-31-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    This was the only team in the league last year that was worse than TFC. The turn-around has been remarkable for them & shows how inept TFC has been in 7 previous years. Our current point total would have us in 2nd last in the West - lucky to be in the weaker East. Could you imagine where we would be without Defoe? Has there really been fundamental change or just a big DP wedge been thrown at the problem?
    Dwyer in SKC, Keane in LA, BWP in NY, Dempsey in Seattle. Where would they be?
    Last edited by habstfc; 07-31-2014 at 01:49 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle blew a tire against LAG on the weekend.

These things happen.

Thin on defence, needs to get fixed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Missed the game tonight. Were we as bad as the score indicates? .

No. The defence had a few brain farts and DCU made us pay. The offence purred around and shoulda scored. The DCU broadcast team really enjoyed our go go go offence. A neutral would have enjoyed that game into about the 70th minute.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Michael Bradley publicly criticizes officials and 4 days later TFC doesn't get the benefit of a PK call? #correlated?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    TFC are 3 points away from matching their point total from last season. It's nearly August.

Talk of regression is a bit much.
    Regression is indeed a bit much but champagne shouldn't be on ice.

They have matched the 2009 results through 19 games at 7-7-5. Preki's 2010 team was also at 7-7-5. Few points better than Carver's 2008 team at 6-8-5.

Only difference is 4x the payroll.

#slowclap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Michael Bradley publicly criticizes officials and 4 days later TFC doesn't get the benefit of a PK call? #correlated?
    Thank you for bringing that up. I avoided it but totally wondered. Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We looked ok in the first half but that doesn't excuse this stuff:

Down a goal...no substitution (with Gilberto and Osorio on the bench)

Go down a second goal and the first sub is Orr out for Lovitz?

Then Oduro out for Osorio.

Then go down a third and Defoe out for Gilberto.

I'm sorry but that's just poor choices.

Nelsen can call out his players on their poor performances if he wants but someone needs to call him out. He needs to be asked by the media what he was trying to do and why those choices were made.

I have a hard time stomaching that our two most technically gifted players (in terms of vision and moving the ball) in Osorio and Gilberto have been turned in to substitute players who don't get to come on until the game is almost over.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orr had a nightmare but he wasn't alone. He was first, though. He's been a goat a couple games already and this last one put him on a chopping block for me. These games without Caldwell meant the veteran could step up but instead has floundered.

Jackson I understand may have got his confidence rocked but to give up on the defensive side of his game this match when we were hurting in the back was so irresponsible.

Not a great start for Creavalle. Why I saw more of him up top and Dom doing his job at the back is ridiculous. I know they both have speed to burn, I know an overlap can be useful but they have a long way to go.

Oduro and later Moore had absolute gimme's that were botched. I find it incredible that Gilberto is a common call for an earlier substitution. One thing the team was doing well was getting chances so close to goal.

My opinion on the subs is Orr and Jackson off sooner but Oduro was a run away from getting Krom carded. If he and Creavalle could've sorted that right side out sooner Korb would've been the weak link the announcer were calling for at the start.

I can't say I like Defoe's pointing all the time but I also don't think it actually affects his output. Bradley on the other hand got frustrated and it had a double effect: He got more bullheaded on challenges (great. more please) but he got lumpy with the ball and as a fellow member down at Joe's quipped "The box is lava". Please Bradley just take the shot at the top of the box.

Disappointing match, no doubt, but I won't hit the panic button till late Sat.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RN coaching style is holding this team back, he's had 1½ years on the job training and hasn't learned a thing. What really irks me is that he doesn't rate Gilberto and if traded he could become the next Urruti who by coincidence was also not rated by said coach.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a bad game and we have had a lack of proper finishing for a while now. Every team in the MLS has to suffer through a streak like this, lets hope it ends soon and we get back to winning ways.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Regression is indeed a bit much but champagne shouldn't be on ice.

They have matched the 2009 results through 19 games at 7-7-5. Preki's 2010 team was also at 7-7-5. Few points better than Carver's 2008 team at 6-8-5.

Only difference is 4x the payroll.

#slowclap
    Why does the money matter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zamperina View Post
    RN coaching style is holding this team back, he's had 1½ years on the job training and hasn't learned a thing. What really irks me is that he doesn't rate Gilberto and if traded he could become the next Urruti who by coincidence was also not rated by said coach.
    Gilberto has fully earned his bench time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    I think the scoreline is very flattering to DCU, TFC were the better team in the first half. If Oduro or Moore score on their chances in the first half or that blatant PK is called on Defoe getting grabbed we probably win that game. The dynamic of the game totally changes. I'm not willing to hit the panic button just yet. I do however think if we lose against the Impact Nelsen will be gone.

Two things I don't want to see in Montreal. Warner or Moore starting. Osorio partnered with Bradley and Gilberto playing under Defoe is whats needed.
    Missing 3 CB's certainly played a factor as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why does the money matter?

Somebody has some fire in his coffee today!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it's time to start Gilberto. We've had 4 games without a win. Time to shake things up. This is his chance to show his quality and pull the team out of this funk.

Nelsen is also in a jam right now with the loss of Caldwell and Bloom. In their absence I'd say we've lost that defensive game that has gotten us points in the past.

Bez better be looking for a starting CB right now. Bleeding goals the way we did last night doesn't help on those days that we can't seem to find the back of the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about everyone else but I'm in a very bad place today after that game. Am I overreacting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Seattle blew a tire against LAG on the weekend.

These things happen.

Thin on defence, needs to get fixed.
    The one thing that worries me is that we are sliding defensively. People have pointed towards Defoe's goals carrying us (and obviously they playing big role), but were ignoring that fact that we were one of the best teams defensively in the league. When I last saw the numbers (around the beginning of the WC I think), we had the second or third best goals against per game in the league (and we were only a goal or two out of top spot).

I just checked now, and we are 11th for goals against/game. That is troublesome...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I think it's time to start Gilberto. We've had 4 games without a win. Time to shake things up. This is his chance to show his quality and pull the team out of this funk.

Nelsen is also in a jam right now with the loss of Caldwell and Bloom. In their absence I'd say we've lost that defensive game that has gotten us points in the past.

Bez better be looking for a starting CB right now. Bleeding goals the way we did last night doesn't help on those days that we can't seem to find the back of the net.
    Or maybe playing Bradley as a DM?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not a meaningful stat, unless our goal is to be an average team while spending top of the league on payroll. That run of form would also equate to being on the edge of making the playoffs or not.
    A lot of the pieces are still not yet in place for this team, that will take a while.

Anyways, we only have to be "average" to make the playoffs. What's amazing is that TFC was so mismanaged in the past that the team was never even average. Even random chance would have expected that the team would have made the playoffs at least once.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The one thing that worries me is that we are sliding defensively. People have pointed towards Defoe's goals carrying us (and obviously they playing big role), but were ignoring that fact that we were one of the best teams defensively in the league. When I last saw the numbers (around the beginning of the WC I think), we had the second or third best goals against per game in the league (and we were only a goal or two out of top spot).

I just checked now, and we are 11th for goals against/game. That is troublesome...
    Yeah that is a big worry. We've gotten away from what won us games early on. Injuries aren't helping, and all those people who said Caldwell isn't worth his salary should be looking in the mirror now. But we have loosened at the back as part of a tactical shift I think.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You can blame the manager, but he only amounts to 50% of the blame.

Re-watch that first goal and tell me why only one player in TFC red attacked the ball or put pressure on any of the DC players moving the ball up the pitch. That second goal was just piss poor defending, not questions about it at all.
    I realize Hagglund is a kid, but he heads the 3rd goal over the goalie and into the back of his own net. Anyone who says that was his only option is crazy. he could've held the ball up for a split second with his body and then booted it out to his right. he chose the awkward header instead. Rookie mistake, but not something you can blame the manager on.

DC were just cutting through the middle of the park all night. Bullying our defence.

As for our strikers - you don't win games by not scoring. They had their chances - very good chances - and couldn't score.It's not like we weren't creating chances. We just couldn't finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that is a big worry. We've gotten away from what won us games early on. Injuries aren't helping, and all those people who said Caldwell isn't worth his salary should be looking in the mirror now. But we have loosened at the back as part of a tactical shift I think.
    yes they miss him... but he was making some mistakes before he got injured,i still don't think he is worth dp type money,but I would take him now over orr..
    Last edited by reggie; 07-31-2014 at 09:57 AM.