Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Congrats. You are the first person to find Jason being bias FOR Toronto. Usually he's akin to watching Craig Forrest do a Canada game. Well...no that bad. Nothing is that bad.
    I have noticed a change in his attitude towards TFC recently though. He used to be all negative, no matter what but now he has totally flip flopped.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

As for our bias having an effect on this team….I know we can differ on what they effect was. That's totally fair.

But just one example...those who love that season ticket prices have been brought back to season 1…..thank the unbiased supporters. Thank the supporters who said enough is enough and decided not to renew season tickets because the club had to be told that they've done terrible shit.

I suggested a much less severe reaction much earlier on (seasons 2 and 3) and you can check the old forum topics in my history to see it but I was told I wasn't a supporter back then. Who knows if they had done anything. But one this is for sure. The biased supporters who thought great things about this club over and over and over and over after multiple examples of idiocy demonstrated by the club are part of the reason that we're 8 seasons in and have a terrible history.
    This goes both ways, bud. All of you coming back into the fray as martyrs to the quality cause can wait all day for a big thank you from the people who stayed so you'd come back to something. How about we all skip the sanctimonious "who did what back then" and focus on the here and now. We have a better team and support is better for it.

Your right about your pedigree. We've never heard your full resume and I doubt it would swing a lot of opinion if you did. It's more about talking with people instead of down to them.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I have noticed a change in his attitude towards TFC recently though. He used to be all negative, no matter what but now he has totally flip flopped.
    There's 2 people now.

Fine by me. I'd like a little DeVos flip flop. It'll make Weds game more tolerable with the volume up!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True enough. They were like that in last nights Dallas v. Vancouver game. But I think they're biased for us too.

Not sure if they show the same bias for the Impact. Hmmmmmm lol

They used to for Montreal, now they are a bit negative considering how its blown up. Now they are getting better with TFC, especially Jason. Its too the point where my wife is back to not wanting to listen to them anymore. Hearing them laud Vancouver yesterday really makes it obvious how they do prefer the west coast team for games.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just glad we are hashing out these important issues.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I'm just glad we are hashing out these important issues.
    We're gettin' to the bottom of things, no doubt about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Absolutely. An in form striker would have taken that. He had time and space to either shoot or carry it in with one defender to beat and shoot. Jackson had a worse angle.
    Jackson's problem is that he can't use his left foot for anything worthwhile! Did anybody see Jackson try and cross the ball with his right foot instead of left when the ball was heading to the end line in front of the south end? He always has to cut inside, he can't hit the ball from the outside with his left at all.

I don't mind a right footer playing on the left, but it does mean your wing play is one dimensional (always cutting inside, never around the outside and cross in).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Gilberto was bad again. Defoe was out, here was his chance to take the team on his back and put some balls in the back of the net. Instead KC roughed him out of the game. I'm amazed at the extent players like Bekker get lambasted on this board yet Gilberto, who consistently can't finish, gets a free ride from so many people.
    Gilberto has still played amazing. He's in the wrong position and this formation doesn't suit him. He was bound to score a goal in the first half until he was taken down on a breakaway towards goal. He also set up Jackson multiple times but failed to finish. His hold up play all season has been brilliant. In this match, his hold up play set up Jackson in a position where he was unmarked and had an open goal, but once again failde to finish. Let's not dismiss his great passing ability on the counter attack. He was also getting into fantastic open positions but the midfield failed to get the ball to him. Gilberto was arguably the best player on the pitch in this game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's 2 people now.

Fine by me. I'd like a little DeVos flip flop. It'll make Weds game more tolerable with the volume up!

Turn it back down - its Gerry Dobson and Sportsnet on Wednesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well a frustrating game, on one hand we made the champions look very mediocre at times yet we lost the game. The added speed on the wings has made us a much more dangerous team but has weakened us defensively. As Ryan said we do not have the balance right in the midfield. How do we get that balance. Is it a personal change or a tactics change. On the final goal from KC Oduro makes a lunge and gives himself up. The right back moves to cover leaving 3 in the box against 3 KC. None of the midfield drop back to support. All spectators.

When you trade for other players there are reasons they are available. Jackson has scored but he does not finish consistently well. Oduro can attack but defensive is an after thought. Would we have done better with Osorio on the left?

Gilberto shows some real creativity but is not proving to be a great finisher. I have noticed his first touch when in crowded corners let's him down. Is he better off like DeRo as a number 10.

I don't think we should add more players at this point. The coaches need to sort this out. Is Ryan the right guy to do this.
    Last edited by SKB; 07-28-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think any other game this year has given me such a mixed bag of emotions as this one. Hope, fear, optimism, anger, disappointment, etc.

All of the major talking points have already been brought up many times, both good and bad. No need to re-hash those.

But guess what lads! We have our next game in 2 days. Onward and upward.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm going to save the floor some time here and get straight to a genuine answer:

The problem you face is transparency. Referees are graded and reviewed regularly. If you are actually interested in the process there are plenty of resources on how to referee. From there I'd suggest talking to an assessor. They frequently grade referees of every level. The transparency problem would be at the professional level where I doubt one would have access to how MLS assesses their officials but it isn't the wild west. Neither is it sorcery. This a century old game that people have made decisions on that has interpretation within limits. I'm comfortable with what I know now but if you want to investigate further and share with us here (on the floor ) I'm sure there would be interest.
    It's knowledge of that process that leads me to my conclusion that it will always be a subjective process that will have mistakes. And public criticism of it from players, coaches or GMs serves no purpose other than putting a target on their backs for a fine and the next call.

Hockey is the example I am most familiar with as I know the process and know some folks involved in both a supervisory and a referee capacity at the NHL and OHL levels. There supervisors evaluate games and officials. The good ones tend to get more work. Those needing to improve are coached and/or find other employment.

However, ratings for officials would never be publicized. Without question, public criticism is not tolerated and is met with fines.

And enforcement of the rules is completely subjective and in accordance with league directives, driven by the GMs.

Eg. Clearly, more penalties are called in the first period than the third and a trip or hook that would have been called early on is almost never called in OT.

Usually, the same GM that helped establish the league directives is the first to complain when a call goes against them.

There is a robust review process in place and good refs work more important games.

However, hockey is not without its share of ref complaints from fans, players, coaches, etc. So why in the world would we hold MLS soccer to an even higher standard?

If Michael Bradley feels screwed over by an official and the 6M man feels it his duty to mouth off in front of a camera, he is going to do so regardless of whether a supervisory crew is on hand at the game conducting evaluations to improve the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post

Gilberto shows some real creativity but is not proving to be a great finisher. I have noticed his first touch when in crowded corners let's him down. Is he better off like DeRo as a number 10.
    He does all the things we expect from a #10 and I wouldn't mind having him do so. Now getting him to mentally accept that he's not a striker, that's a bigger job.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

However, hockey is not without its share of ref complaints from fans, players, coaches, etc. So why in the world would we hold MLS soccer to an even higher standard?
    There is no higher standard in hockey. There are higher standards to compare MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    He does all the things we expect from a #10 and I wouldn't mind having him do so. Now getting him to mentally accept that he's not a striker, that's a bigger job.
    if goals go in , its easy to convince.

with cannon like he has, he shouldnt waste his time perfecting finess goals like Defoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This goes both ways, bud. All of you coming back into the fray as martyrs to the quality cause can wait all day for a big thank you from the people who stayed so you'd come back to something. How about we all skip the sanctimonious "who did what back then" and focus on the here and now. We have a better team and support is better for it.

Your right about your pedigree. We've never heard your full resume and I doubt it would swing a lot of opinion if you did. It's more about talking with people instead of down to them.
    You're bang on. And maybe what you see as me talking like an asshole was born when telling me I'm not a supporter was brought up years ago when I took issues with the stupidity in the way this club promotes itself, chooses to play, selects players, and treats its supporters.

Literally years ago. Now…in season 8 we still suck at most of those things. Especially our style of play.

So I'm sorry if I sound like an asshole but I've been shit on for seasons. And I'm the one with complete failure in every single department (other than profit) that backs my opinion up.

So when people use their bias to argue with me about what they see and know I'm gonna call them on it. Because, like I've said….bias ruins peoples opinions when they want to openly discuss stuff like the effects of poor officiating…among dozens of other things.

As for my "pedigree"…forget about it. I don't have any…and even if I did…so what. I didn't bring it up as something to back me up. You brought it up to make me look bad but I've never been the one to talk about it. Nice try.

As for focussing on here and now….convenient to say now. Back when we were even worse in terms of decisions being made nobody backed me when I was saying things about "here and now".

Back then "here and now" was irrelevant and again…I was a shitty supporter when I was worried about "here and now". Then it was all about the future.

Now it's about here and now? Very convenient. Nice try #2.
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 07-29-2014 at 10:29 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're bang on. And maybe what you see as me talking like an asshole was born when telling me I'm not a supporter was brought up years ago when I took issues with the stupidity in the way this club promotes itself, chooses to play, selects players, and treats its supporters.

Literally years ago. Now…in season 8 we still suck at most of those things. Especially our style of play.

So I'm sorry if I sound like an asshole but I've been shit on for seasons. And I'm the one with complete failure in every single department (other than profit) that backs my opinion up.

So when people use their bias to argue with me about what they see and know I'm gonna call them on it. Because, like I've said….bias ruins peoples opinions when they want to openly discuss stuff like the effects of poor officiating…among dozens of other things.

As for my "pedigree"…forget about it. I don't have any…and even if I did…so what. I didn't bring it up as something to back me up. You brought it up to make me look bad but I've never been the one to talk about it. Nice try.

As for focussing on here and now….convenient to say now. Back when we were even worse in terms of decisions being made nobody backed me when I was saying things about "here and now".

Back then "here and now" was irrelevant and again…I was a shitty supporter when I was worried about "here and now". Then it was all about the future.

Now it's about here and now? Very convenient. Nice try #2.
    Wrong. This is not about opinion or being right. It's about being respectful to others on this forum. You have a right to an opinion. You have a duty to present it without insulting others. Stick to the topic at hand and leave out the judging of supporters or there will be consequences.

Leave the past where it is and move on. Past arguments rehashed serve no purpose moving forward in this.

All Together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this band.

“Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOLOL.....sitting at work reading through some of these posts, pretty boring stuff but more importantly sounds like a BROKEN RECORD over and over again and I'm not referring to VOODOODADDY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game to be at, TFC has to score on their chances in the first half. Reffing was god awful obviously..... What pissed me off even more is PETERSON getting the winner.. Reffing was bad enough in a very important game for TFC fans but Peterson's winner just was a cherry on top. Out of all people lol