Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read an article that had a really good picture of Creavalle fouling Defoe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I can say, for the first time ever with this club, is that there is an actual system in place and a plan to acquire players to fit that system. Gone are the days of taking players like Iro, Hall, Lambe, etc. and trying to force them to fit into whatever the new master plan was at that time. It is a big relief to not be run by idiots any longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    CM/AM. Haven't been too successful in the past, but Davis is at the age where he won't be effective at LM anymore. Never had too much pace and he's starting to lose a lot of whatever he had left. Still has good footballing brain and passing ability
    Interesting. Not sure he'll be effective there. He looked pretty damn good out on the left against us two weeks ago. But I guess that's their problem to figure out, not ours....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Just read an article that had a really good picture of Creavalle fouling Defoe

Untrue. This is footage of negotiating his own trade.

The audio accompanying this shot:

Creavalle - "Welcome to the league! Can I come to Toronto?"

Apparently Defoe didn't mind his zeal.

Friends!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    One thing I can say, for the first time ever with this club, is that there is an actual system in place and a plan to acquire players to fit that system. Gone are the days of taking players like Iro, Hall, Lambe, etc. and trying to force them to fit into whatever the new master plan was at that time. It is a big relief to not be run by idiots any longer.
    agree with this we actually have a system with out putting square pieces in round holes. Warren is great depth even with a full roster he's usable depth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a good trade in my opinion. Yes, we have to move the allocation order spot sometime but we should have gotten more for it IMHO. How many bloody central mids do we need? Nelson is obsessed with them, especially defensive players. We should have gotten another attacking winger from a team. Bradley needs cover, yes, but we already have Warner and Orr whom can play there defensively and a host of backup attacking central mids. This continued unnecessary proliferation of central defensive mids just pushes Osorio out onto the wing were he is not as effective. We already had enough depth at CM. Put Osorio back where he belongs and get more players whom are naturaly speedy, can hit a real cross and can track back as well please. That is a real winger, a two way player.

I would take my argument further and say that, ideally, I wish TFC would abandon this idea of defensive cover in CM and play with two attacking players there. The team has just looked better and I think they would play a more fluid attacking style of game, not this disjointed counter attack and hoofball crap that we get all too often.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Red View Post
    Not a good trade in my opinion. Yes, we have to move the allocation order spot sometime but we should have gotten more for it IMHO. How many bloody central mids do we need? Nelson is obsessed with them, especially defensive players. We should have gotten another attacking winger from a team. Bradley needs cover, yes, but we already have Warner and Orr whom can play there defensively and a host of backup attacking central mids. This continued unnecessary proliferation of central defensive mids just pushes Osorio out onto the wing were he is not as effective. We already had enough depth at CM. Put Osorio back where he belongs and get more players whom are naturaly speedy, can hit a real cross and can track back as well please. That is a real winger, a two way player.

I would take my argument further and say that, ideally, I wish TFC would abandon this idea of defensive cover in CM and play with two attacking players there. The team has just looked better and I think they would play a more fluid attacking style of game, not this disjointed counter attack and hoofball crap that we get all too often.
    Most, if not all MLS teams play with a DM because most MLS teams play on the counter. DM shields the defence on the counter, esp if fullbacks are caught up the field. TFC doesn't hold the ball well enough.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eh, let Houston have Beasley. He should be retired anyway. I didn't even know he was still alive until I watched the World Cup. Creavalle is a good young talent. Glad we got him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of years ago we were top of the allocation list and the asset died on the vine.

Very rare to see Houston deal a young home grown player that has started every game.

Creavalle has played some LB (he did against TFC for sure).

This is even better than the Warner deal. This is a player that has a high probability of being a valuable, affordable, versatile domestic for many years. Very very hard to spring these guys loose.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine a year ago getting this guy as depth...

Awesome.

He is a good player, Houston is better than their standings show right now. He is a solid player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    A couple of years ago we were top of the allocation list and the asset died on the vine.

Very rare to see Houston deal a young home grown player that has started every game.

This is even better than the Warner deal. This is a player that has a high probability of being a valuable, affordable, versatile domestic for many years. Very very hard to spring these guys loose.
    Bez has done a great job in that regard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a team is at the top of the allocation order and they simply pass, do the fall all the way to the bottom?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, you stay at the top until the end of the year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    If a team is at the top of the allocation order and they simply pass, do the fall all the way to the bottom?
    Remember that the international window closes soon, and at the end of the year, the allocation spot dies for us. Realistically, TFC doesn't need Beasley, Jones, or Shea, so what's the point of passing? That spot would have been lost.

For me, this was an imaginary asset combined with imaginary money, which baited us a good player. Something out of nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Most, if not all MLS teams play with a DM because most MLS teams play on the counter. DM shields the defence on the counter, esp if fullbacks are caught up the field. TFC doesn't hold the ball well enough.
    This. And how many teams in football these days play without a defensive mid? Divison of labour in the middle of the field has changed the game. Very few teams play those spots as perfectly interchangeable because you need really, really talented players to do it.

Even outside of the counter, a defensive mid is a key piece of a possession based team as well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Remember that the international window closes soon, and at the end of the year, the allocation spot dies for us. Realistically, TFC doesn't need Beasley, Jones, or Shea, so what's the point of passing? That spot would have been lost.

For me, this was an imaginary asset combined with imaginary money, which baited us a good player. Something out of nothing.
    Perhaps we could argue they could need them. But clearly, on DP contracts they can't have them.

Excellent use of an asset.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Style of play aside, I want to tackle the we could have got more part of your post.

Know that there are limited trading partners.

The player is likely to be a DP. Only 11 teams have room for one.

And of the 11, Houston is rumoured to be interested in this particular player at the salary he wants.

Very limited market.

Bez did great with an unusable asset.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not dog pile here but I think your idea of how we should move forward would be taken more serious if you attached any available names to possible acquisitions. A winger and 2 attacking midfielders that won't leave us having to constantly come back from deficit. We're already doing that more than ever in our history.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Creavalle has a large upside. He's extremely athletic, quick, makes smart decisions. Houston has been bringing him along a bit at a time but with continual exposure, ala Nelsen with Hagglund, and he's done very well. He can play left back and left wing because he's fast and can dribble, but he's also good defensively. He's like Colin Warner but can play wide.

Very smart signing.

I continue to be impressed by pretty much everything Bez is doing. I think Laba was unfortunate, and so far Gilberto does not look like a player who will ever be worth DP money, although he's certainly a decent player. But for the most part, we're building a good team and it's going in the right direction.

Now, we just need our offense to start feeding the forwards and have them play off each other more efficiently, and it's playoff time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We traded the Brian McBride allocation ranking to Chicago for Chad Barrett plus allocation money plus a first round draft pick. Barrett gave us 16 goals in 65 games. We then traded him to LA for future considerations...not sure we got anything from that, can't remember. The point is, we got Barrett for nothing because McBride was never going to come to Toronto any way. He had his heart and his head on Chicago and wouldn't have settled for us or anyone else. The situation here is similar. We couldn't realistically sign DMB because even if we could do some deal that didn't involve him being a DP, he still would have wanted way too much money. We could have sat on our ranking and hoped that someone else had come along that we did want or that we could have swung a better deal with another team before the fast-approaching deadline, but there was no guarantee for either. Creavalle looks and sounds like a good player. Given that DMB couldn't realistically have come here, we essentially got Creavalle for nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Villa TFC View Post
    We traded the Brian McBride allocation ranking to Chicago for Chad Barrett plus allocation money plus a first round draft pick. Barrett gave us 16 goals in 65 games. We then traded him to LA for future considerations...not sure we got anything from that, can't remember. The point is, we got Barrett for nothing because McBride was never going to come to Toronto any way. He had his heart and his head on Chicago and wouldn't have settled for us or anyone else. The situation here is similar. We couldn't realistically sign DMB because even if we could do some deal that didn't involve him being a DP, he still would have wanted way too much money. We could have sat on our ranking and hoped that someone else had come along that we did want or that we could have swung a better deal with another team before the fast-approaching deadline, but there was no guarantee for either. Creavalle looks and sounds like a good player. Given that DMB couldn't realistically have come here, we essentially got Creavalle for nothing.
    But we lost a very good allocation spot. Very are now very far down the pecking order.

If only i could understand how that allocation process works, this would all make more sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Creavalle has a large upside. He's extremely athletic, quick, makes smart decisions. Houston has been bringing him along a bit at a time but with continual exposure, ala Nelsen with Hagglund, and he's done very well. He can play left back and left wing because he's fast and can dribble, but he's also good defensively. He's like Colin Warner but can play wide.

Very smart signing.

I continue to be impressed by pretty much everything Bez is doing. I think Laba was unfortunate, and so far Gilberto does not look like a player who will ever be worth DP money, although he's certainly a decent player. But for the most part, we're building a good team and it's going in the right direction.

Now, we just need our offense to start feeding the forwards and have them play off each other more efficiently, and it's playoff time.
    Even without the goals, Gilbertos skill set raises alot of eyebrows. DP eyebrows. Playing any other position but striker makes him look like the next big thing in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Even without the goals, Gilbertos skill set raises alot of eyebrows. DP eyebrows. Playing any other position but striker makes him look like the next big thing in MLS
    I don't particularly get this POV.

Reminds me of Aron Winter and Maicon Santos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't particularly get this POV.

Reminds me of Aron Winter and Maicon Santos
    his upside. Because you know hes one mental peice away from being a star. ( though i didnt see that upside with maicon, you knew if used correctly maicon was an asset)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his upside. Because you know hes one mental peice away from being a star. ( though i didnt see that upside with maicon, you knew if used correctly maicon was an asset)
    I agree he can be a star, I just think up top is still his best position. Maybe an argument for wide play, but do not see him as an AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we lost a very good allocation spot. Very are now very far down the pecking order.

If only i could understand how that allocation process works, this would all make more sense
    What is it about allocation that you do not understand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allocation ranking stuff is here:

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...nd-regulations

The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee.*

*Designated Players of a certain threshold – as determined by the League – are not subject to allocation ranking.
    I'll hazard a guess that Bez has a pretty good idea who is potentially coming back to the league, and there was no one coming back as a non-DP that we would be interested in.

Something for nothing sounds about right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great signing. Young player, decent salary, good upside. This is the type of player teams need in mls to compete over the full season.

Quite a change from past signings like Jeremy hall, where the opposing team's fan forum were full of "lolls and wtfs" when we signed their players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Quite a change from past signings like Jeremy hall, where the opposing team's fan forum were full of "lolls and wtfs" when we signed their players.
    Oh how I yearn to be on the other side of those lols and wtfs in this case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Oh how I yearn to be on the other side of those lols and wtfs in this case.
    wait

they saw hall play before they signed him? they KNEW how bad he was?