Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The bunker is never the issue. The only challenge is that it is small and tucked away. A ton of history there for another thread.
    I know this is going off topic - but IMO the atmosphere in the stadium is never going to improve until the core of the dedicated chanting supporters (those largely in the bunker) move to an area of the stadium where they are able to engage other like minded fans and get them to sing along. I know the history of why they are in 112, but it really is a poor location for a supporters group, a few rows away from the side the stadium where the majority of fans are too busy picking the prawn sandwiches out of their teeth to care about singing or creating any type of atmosphere.

Until the core singing fans are more centralised in the supporters section, the atmosphere issues and the isolation of the sound into one corner of the stadium is always going to continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    I don't know about that. Have you been in the bunker this season? We've been pretty good all year. Yeah there's been some blips but your going to have those till people start to realize this isn't your MoJO TFC.

We will continue to get better and the more results get better and we continue to climb towards a payoff birth the place will become a fortress again.

I sure hope so.

I miss the early years when a majority tried to get into the vocal signing one way or another at their own pace.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much all the South stands for the length of the game from my viewpoint.

Its funny, but up in 221, you don't hear much singing (TFC stomp stomp stomp about 4-5 times a game) but a lot of people watch very very intensely. People stamp their feet, applaud a good play, yell at refs, boo the opposition, grimace at a bad pass. Stand up for goals of course. Applaud subs. It feels louder then a CFL game.

Not singing doesn't mean not watching or supporting.

Not bad for a section that is about 30% consistent SSH and who's average age I would say would be about 45.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-22-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Agreed. Tweet really didn't seem like a big deal to me. He was at a game where the crowd was really loud, and tweeted about it. Then he clarified that he wasn't trying to insult TFC's supporters. No biggie.

There are large swaths of BMO that are largely silent outside of goals. That isn't really a secret, or even a surprise. In the first few years everyone was loud, because the novelty hadn't worn off - now we are at a point where the new car smell is gone, and TFC have to give people a reason to be enthusiastic.

And as someone else pointed out, there's really no comparison between a team that has existed for a decade or less, and teams that have existed for generations.

Personally, I'm just waiting for TFC supporters to enter a "post self-consciousness" era, where supporters can just focus on doing their thing and enjoying the thrills of fandom, and stop worrying about what anyone else is saying about the job the supporters are doing, or measuring ourselves against other groups and teams.

That's a hard pill to swallow because we were once a great fandom and all of us had a taste of it. That type of fandom is bordering on spiritual/religious, and is not easy to replace.

What killed the golden goose? I think that question is too black and white, as is any potential answer. All I know is that it was once there, and now ... is no longer.

I will do anything and support anything that get's it back.

I think that their is a lot of blame to go around, and now maybe supporters groups are mature enough to take a look in the mirror and see their responsibility in the down turn.

Hopefully with this new BMO expansion and with more experienced people at the helm making decisions, supporters groups and the front office will take a back seat to what is best to support for this football club. Clearly supporters groups and the front office are LEAST relevant in the equation. The front office and the official supporter group members amount to about 3000 people at the most and points to the fact that they hyper inflate their importance to TFC support. The core of support doesn't resonate with either of these groups and the sooner supporter groups and the front office realize that the better.

I think GA is the way to go. In my view that was the true nature of the early years...

To me GA first makes sense, then structured supporter(s) group(s)... we unfortunately fell into the reverse and paid for it with supporters group politics and the friction from a novice front office hindering growth.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Long way to get it like Portland again where roof or no roof they are all in.
    You know I'm all for growth, positivity and giving credit where due but even on our best day we did not have the participation in the south of Portland. People need to manage expectations when talking about "the rest of the stadium". I won't expect it to ever be "rockin'". There is different types of support as you've said many times in the past and there's room for them all. I don't know where these demands on the rest of the stadium come from or these rose-coloured memories. There a bit blown out of proportion IMO.

I think the type of fan at the game in question were all the same in that this one time experience made them chant in the stands in unison but I don't they were singing for 90. Glad DeRo liked it but don't expect me to try to get the whole stadium to do one chant all game long.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-23-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    That's a hard pill to swallow because we were once a great fandom and all of us had a taste of it. That type of fandom is bordering on spiritual/religious, and is not easy to replace.

What killed the golden goose? I think that question is too black and white, as is any potential answer. All I know is that it was once there, and now ... is no longer.

I will do anything and support anything that get's it back.

I think that their is a lot of blame to go around, and now maybe supporters groups are mature enough to take a look in the mirror and see their responsibility in the down turn.

Hopefully with this new BMO expansion and with more experienced people at the helm making decisions, supporters groups and the front office will take a back seat to what is best to support for this football club. Clearly supporters groups and the front office are LEAST relevant in the equation. The front office and the official supporter group members amount to about 3000 people at the most and points to the fact that they hyper inflate their importance to TFC support. The core of support doesn't resonate with either of these groups and the sooner supporter groups and the front office realize that the better.

I think GA is the way to go. In my view that was the true nature of the early years...

To me GA first makes sense, then structured supporter(s) group(s)... we unfortunately fell into the reverse and paid for it with supporters group politics and the friction from a novice front office hindering growth.
    GA competes with another factor though.

Do folks want to be in the south end because that is how they support OR do they want to be there because it is the least expensive ticket?

Maybe some fall into both camps but generally speaking you have two types of folks that buy tickets (or move) to the south end. Those seeking to stand all game and those seeking affordable tickets.

Their interests don't always meet.

If a fan wants that vantage point but not GA or everything that goes with the Supporters area, they have no choice. The North End would set them back $1,400. Light greys may be an option but your head is turned sideways all game, if you aren't picking bugs out of your teeth in the 200s, and it's still more expensive than the south.

If there was GA, there would have to be a significant price reset across all vantage points to accommodate long standing ticket holders (or new ones) that made their purchase decision based on price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try sitting in the NE 127

The one timers actually go complain to the usher that people are standing.

People who show up late ask me to move every game because I am standing one seat over (the drum is in our aisle)

GA is the way to go in all supporters sections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    DeRo was at a game that he found loud.

He thought, "boy it would be fun if our games were this loud!".

He then tweeted it. No biggie.

He doesn't come on here getting all pissy that people are suggesting he may be "done".

No need to get over sensitive about these things. Go to the next home game and change his mind with loud voices.

Yah, people are too sensitive these days.

Just a imagine what would happen if he made a Yo Mama joke

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Sure. But there has to be a comparable price option for those that have been paying Supporter Section prices that don't want the standing/drums/etc. You can't force people out of their seats and make them pay higher prices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Try sitting in the NE 127

The one timers actually go complain to the usher that people are standing.

People who show up late ask me to move every game because I am standing one seat over (the drum is in our aisle)

That's the ticket buyers issue foremost noticing they purchased supporters section seats. Don't see how its complaining. They just didn't realize what tickets they bought.

And GA isn't going to slove any of these issues. I fail to see how GA will stop people coming in later. Traffic and parking are always a pain and not everyone can arrive hours early before game time.

And people have seat numbers and rows of course the 're going t say that's my seat. This is new to 95% of the people at games.

There used to sitting and seat numbers and rows ect. First timers don't understand the process. Cant fault them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    That's the ticket buyers issue foremost noticing they purchased supporters section seats. Don't see how its complaining. They just didn't realize what tickets they bought.

And GA isn't going to slove any of these issues. I fail to see how GA will stop people coming in later. Traffic and parking are always a pain and not everyone can arrive hours early before game time.

And people have seat numbers and rows of course the 're going t say that's my seat. This is new to 95% of the people at games.

There used to sitting and seat numbers and rows ect. First timers don't understand the process. Cant fault them.
    but these first timers then become 2nd timers, and they still insist on the same behaviour.
    After explaining how the seating works because of the drum, its of no use.
    Even with empty seats infront or behind, they insist to be in their seats because they fear they will get in trouble or somone else will kick them out.

a new BIG sign saying standing anywhere
    GA solves it.

Traffic or parking issues
    You show up late and sit on the end aisle,
    GA Solves it

The sitting standing isnt really solved but at least the "standers" can be with lke minded people and the "sitters" can be to.

sometimes, fewer rules produce better results.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    So much this... I've been tossing around the idea of a "day in the life of a supporter" video (from waking up hungover in burlington through pregame/setup of section and drumming chanting etc). I just have no technical skills to pull something like that off
    The producer of All For One is a member on this board, Clayton Hansler. I'd love to see an episode titled "East Side Stand Up!" that goes through a day with the supporter's groups, some moments with Paul Marhue as he does a comic of ESSU and a sit-down with the Red Nation Online guys as they do their post-game podcast in a pub or park downtown. Could be very cool.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Dero makes a tweet remarking on how loud the crowd is at BMO for an Itay v Portugal match and we get a GA discussion out of it.

Funny how that game didn't have any GA, not the unofficial type that we already have in certain sections of BMO as it is.

The point is you have to onboard people into accessable chants and welcome them into supporting the team vs making rules about who can sit where. The groups can manage their own sections and largely do, I suspect Kings will get their seating issues sorted as their group grows.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    So Dero makes a tweet remarking on how loud the crowd is at BMO for an Itay v Portugal match and we get a GA discussion out of it.

Funny how that game didn't have any GA, not the unofficial type that we already have in certain sections of BMO as it is.

The point is you have to onboard people into accessable chants and welcome them into supporting the team vs making rules about who can sit where. The groups can manage their own sections and largely do, I suspect Kings will get their seating issues sorted as their group grows.
    When a new group goes into a section it's always square peg into a round hole. Things are getting better and honestly they are better than I imagined they would be when it was started last year. Another off season of growth and most of the issues should be sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to DeRo... I just watched the friendly last night, and he actually looked excellent. He was all over the field, tracking back hard, and showed flashes of being one of the best passers on the team. I know he's not the future of the club, but I would like to see him used as a late sub more often. He's still got something to offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    Back to DeRo... I just watched the friendly last night, and he actually looked excellent. He was all over the field, tracking back hard, and showed flashes of being one of the best passers on the team. I know he's not the future of the club, but I would like to see him used as a late sub more often. He's still got something to offer.
    he needs his mid position back

he is no striker, especially at this age