Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dero got caught in the twitter trap of 140 characters. Its hard to explain things well with those restraints.

As always I give the dude the benefit of the doubt and hope to see him play a bigger role for our team on the pitch.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    So much this... I've been tossing around the idea of a "day in the life of a supporter" video (from waking up hungover in burlington through pregame/setup of section and drumming chanting etc). I just have no technical skills to pull something like that off
    Damn, Son. They couldn't keep up with me on Matchday*

*There's no bike emoji. That there is a problem.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    There's definitely a huge difference between this season and the early days. I really miss the atmosphere from the first season. Performance was utter shit, but the atmosphere really made up for it ... god forbid, there are times where I wondered if I was willing to have a return to how shitty the team used to be in exchange for that atmosphere. Remember the days when Toronto was famous for its atmosphere to the point where every single post-match interview revolved around questions like "what does it feel like to play in front of these fans?" We hardly get crowd noise/excitement in response to an offensive build up nowadays.
    The team stayed almost as shitty. That's why the fans stopped singing, stopped coming. Nice to see some back but we'll never unpop that first year cherry, bud.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's definitely a huge difference between this season and the early days. I really miss the atmosphere from the first season. Performance was utter shit, but the atmosphere really made up for it ... god forbid, there are times where I wondered if I was willing to have a return to how shitty the team used to be in exchange for that atmosphere. Remember the days when Toronto was famous for its atmosphere to the point where every single post-match interview revolved around questions like "what does it feel like to play in front of these fans?" We hardly get crowd noise/excitement in response to an offensive build up nowadays.

It's funny that you posted this video with that particular song.
    This was literally our first home game - before all the supporter politics took hold of the stadium. It was fun back then. people were not fighting for control over sections. As for that song: it was shit upon by many supporters for not being a supporters chant and was very quickly squashed anytime it was heard.

Now a days you have a bunch of groups and splinter groups that are more concerned with who leads the supporter rather than just supporting and having fun. There seems to be more issues than solutions and more problems not related to the actual match.

Everyone blames TFC for fucking the environment, but supporters also played a big role in fucking the support as well.

Last nights game may have been louder because supporter politics don't exist at games like that. Its a more laxed environment where people feel they can do what they want. It may not be as "organized" as TFC matches, but it could very well have been louder as more people feel inclined to make their voices heard.

Good on Dero for pointing that out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought DeRo was a big part of the May 31 KKKrew game.
    I think he can contribute.
    Admittedly, i'm a big DeRo fan.

I think he could contribute as a late super sub.
    75th minute, when we need some scoring.
    it wasn't that long ago that he was the league MVP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sayeth Dwayne later last night:

Apologies that tweet was not to offend our fans that cheer for us 90+ min. was more to motivate the others. U know I respect our die hards!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much this... I've been tossing around the idea of a "day in the life of a supporter" video (from waking up hungover in burlington through pregame/setup of section and drumming chanting etc). I just have no technical skills to pull something like that off
    Funniest thing is that I was talking about that with some of the other RPBs at the recording studio. Im surprised there isn't anything going into video from our banner sessions, to pre-post game. If people see what we do, they will be more likely to want to join in because it seems fo much fun. I think that the TFC PR should have thought of that when they made the episodes really, ebcause I feel like we are an integral part to the TFC game.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    Sayeth Dwayne later last night:

Apologies that tweet was not to offend our fans that cheer for us 90+ min. was more to motivate the others. U know I respect our die hards!
    Incoming Bruce Willis tifo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The atmosphere will improve once we have a roof. You need the entire stadium to basically go bananas for 90 minutes in order to have a decent atmosphere - just because of the lack of roof. That happened in the first couple of years, but the honeymoon period is long gone, and now we need a roof to be on level with other MLS teams. We certainly aren't even close to Seattle, Portland. When I watch our games on TV post-match, I have to say that the atmosphere pretty much sucks. It sounds pretty quiet throughout the game. Even when the south-end is "bringing it" it's hard to make out what they're singing. That's where the roof will come to our rescue and help bring back the great atmosphere of year 1 and 2. Certainly it will sound a lot better on TV.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Incoming Bruce Willis tifo
    So, "A Good Day to Play Hard" with Bradley instead of Bruce Willis?

O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    So, "A Good Day to Play Hard" with Bradley instead of Bruce Willis?

Amazing!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow just wow... pumping up the people who think they are too good to watch the league he plays in
    This is exactly it. Do a little thinking DeRo. Why have you never heard that passion before? Cause these "passionate fans" stay the fuck home. Or they do show up and are quiet.

I don't even take offence at the tweet cause he obviously wasn't talking about the people who bust their ass to keep this group going, I take offence that he gives credit to this pocket of dipshits that don't deserve it in the slightest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo was at a game that he found loud.

He thought, "boy it would be fun if our games were this loud!".

He then tweeted it. No biggie.

He doesn't come on here getting all pissy that people are suggesting he may be "done".

No need to get over sensitive about these things. Go to the next home game and change his mind with loud voices.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still trying to understand what people are seeing in that tweet that suggests he had good intentions or whatever? In those two tweets he basically said "yah we have the fans that sing for 90+ minutes, but these fans here are better". He's talking about the same people that sang the Dero song during the Bradley and Defoe unveil.

If I was a season ticket holder that pays like 2grand a year to watch the team, and a player that doesn't see the pitch called me out, id be furious.

That being said, this is another one of those dero fan vs. Non dero fan arguments.

Nelsen says Miller should be made to pay double - everybody flips out.
    Payne says "get used to it" - everybody flips. (Pretty sure tshirts were made)
    Dero says Italy vs Portugal fans are better than TFC fans - "mah, it's true"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm still trying to understand what people are seeing in that tweet that suggests he had good intentions or whatever? In those two tweets he basically said "yah we have the fans that sing for 90+ minutes, but these fans here are better". He's talking about the same people that sang the Dero song during the Bradley and Defoe unveil.

If I was a season ticket holder that pays like 2grand a year to watch the team, and a player that doesn't see the pitch called me out, id be furious.

That being said, this is another one of those dero fan vs. Non dero fan arguments.

Those are tweets, dude. They aren't worth much to begin with but the fact that everyone tweeting that way are tweeting on DeRo's it means you're going to get his defenders on there. They are not the majority who DeRo called "die hards". That would be people here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck Dero. I'm seriously done defending the guy if he big ups the people who go to an Italy v Portugal legends game and hails them as loud.

I'd wager every dollar in my pocket it's the exact same crowd that would snicker at the thought of TFC being in a "champions league" tournament, who you couldn't pay to attend a Canada WCQ.

What he should have said was "hey assholes that dragged themselves to a meaningless game full of wash ups an sang their hearts out, how about doing that in a game that actually matters"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like the ones that are being offended by DeRo's tweet are the ones who make the most noise in the stadium anyways - clearly he's not talking about you guys! Absolutely no need to get offended at all!

But the fact remains of the 22k people who go to TFC games, a TINY minority are making the majority of noise. In the end of the day "football chanting" just isn't a natural thing for most people going to TFC games. 113/112/111 do a great job with the noise, but a few seats away its like a morgue. And that's not offensive to anything in U-Section or RPB's, unfortunately its just a fact.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ that's not the point...
    If you're a TFC player, stand behind your fans. Chivas players say they have the best fans in the league. DCU players stand behind theirs. Dero needs to do the same, or stfu. That's all I'm saying.

He he made us look bad to anyone who read the tweet and isn't a TFC supporter.

Im not offended, just disappointed.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are people offended because he said it or because it is true?

I question why he said it... mainly because it gets him nothing other than ill will. But if he wants to say it, I really don't care. It's his prerogative and it is true.

BMO is a hop skip and a jump away from "Make Some Noise" prompts on the scoreboard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many (most?) of the original diehards feel about TFC the way they would a girlfriend or wife who cheated on them. You can have some great days, but it's not the same. It'll be many years before it can be the same.

That's what Dero sees (hears?), and that is what I see. For those seeing he caused the problem, cmon. His antics were really not the problem, just a run-of-the-mill salary dispute. It was the way our love for the team was used/abused by previous ownership, over and over again, that was the problem.

I don't know why it would sting to have this pointed out if you are one of the ones making noise, you should be doing it for yourself, really, how anyone else reacts to it isn't that important, is it? Not looking to make a big point, just asking.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-22-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think Dero got caught in the twitter trap of 140 characters. Its hard to explain things well with those restraints.

As always I give the dude the benefit of the doubt and hope to see him play a bigger role for our team on the pitch.
    +1 ..........and.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The team stayed almost as shitty. That's why the fans stopped singing, stopped coming. Nice to see some back but we'll never unpop that first year cherry, bud.
    ....+1 again....!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and dont forget Anselmi "supply and demand"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

I question why he said it... mainly because it gets him nothing other than ill will. But if he wants to say it, I really don't care. It's his prerogative and it is true.

BMO is a hop skip and a jump away from "Make Some Noise" prompts on the scoreboard.
    It's not his place to say it. If a reporter or journalist said it, I wouldn't care. A player is not allowed to criticize the team, it's owners, or sponsors. The players should also not talk negatively about the supporters, publicly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

I don't know about that. Have you been in the bunker this season? We've been pretty good all year. Yeah there's been some blips but your going to have those till people start to realize this isn't your MoJO TFC.

We will continue to get better and the more results get better and we continue to climb towards a payoff birth the place will become a fortress again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    I don't know about that. Have you been in the bunker this season? We've been pretty good all year. Yeah there's been some blips but your going to have those till people start to realize this isn't your MoJO TFC.

We will continue to get better and the more results get better and we continue to climb towards a payoff birth the place will become a fortress again.
    Well, as Dero clarified with his second tweet, I think he was more referring to the rest of the crowd versus the bunker and other supporter sections. I think it's fair to say the rest of the stadium has become more quiet year-by-year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as Dero clarified with his second tweet, I think he was more referring to the rest of the crowd versus the bunker and other supporter sections. I think it's fair to say the rest of the stadium has become more quiet year-by-year.
    I don't know it seemed like a backpetal to me.

I get that and really alotn of those seats outside of the two low end price points are probably newer SSH. That combined with people being not ready for a winning team. The ghost of the past haven't been exercised yet. A playoff birth should fix that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not his place to say it. If a reporter or journalist said it, I wouldn't care. A player is not allowed to criticize the team, it's owners, or sponsors. The players should also not talk negatively about the supporters, publicly.
    The problem I have is that supporters can crap all over players, managers, the whole team, and the players just have to suck it up. The players are human like us. I think if a player wants to tell the supporters to make more noise, I'm fine with that. It's not like DeRo was saying "the TFC fans suck and they chant like losers!", he was saying "man, I wish TFC fans made more noise".

There is a MASSIVE difference between the bunker and almost any area of the BMO. I've got seats in 113 and 114 - 113 is pretty loud - but in 114, which is only around 15 seats further from the bunker, is almost silent in comparison!

Totally agree - I remember back in 2007 2008, the whole stadium was ROCKING! Now its really only confined to one corner, the rest of the stadium has got worse and worse over the last few years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Agreed. Tweet really didn't seem like a big deal to me. He was at a game where the crowd was really loud, and tweeted about it. Then he clarified that he wasn't trying to insult TFC's supporters. No biggie.

There are large swaths of BMO that are largely silent outside of goals. That isn't really a secret, or even a surprise. In the first few years everyone was loud, because the novelty hadn't worn off - now we are at a point where the new car smell is gone, and TFC have to give people a reason to be enthusiastic.

And as someone else pointed out, there's really no comparison between a team that has existed for a decade or less, and teams that have existed for generations.

Personally, I'm just waiting for TFC supporters to enter a "post self-consciousness" era, where supporters can just focus on doing their thing and enjoying the thrills of fandom, and stop worrying about what anyone else is saying about the job the supporters are doing, or measuring ourselves against other groups and teams.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The bunker is never the issue. The only challenge is that it is small and tucked away. A ton of history there for another thread.

The quiet comes from the rest of the stadium. Where 20 visiting fans out sing everyone on the east and north side. Where neighbours of 127 simply looked over at people going "crazy" and then did nothing. Where south standers (again outside the bunker) are actually sitters, once they get to their seats 10 mins into the game.

It's a casual fan now that dominates. The challenge for all that care about noise will be to convert them and get them engaged

No doubt a roof will help make the few hundred sound louder. Long way to get it like Portland again where roof or no roof they are all in.