Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Derosario done?

I thought the yesterday's game was perfect for Dero to come in (I would have brought on both Dero and Gilberto for that matter). Honestly i can't even remember the last time he played. Was it against Columbus?

Does anyone know something about this situation that i don't?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe there was a plan for him to come in, but that got derailed when Bloom got hurt and Hagglund needed to come in for him? He was on the bench, and it seems odd that Nelsen would take up a bench spot for someone injured and/or unproductive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think DeRo must be fourth on the striker depth chart behind Defoe, Moore and Gilberto. Has to be ticking him off. I don't get the Moore appeal, personally. I'd sooner see Defoe and Gilberto start with DeRo getting some minutes off the bench.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe me, I really like Moore, I had a good feeling about him when we got him and think I was right.

That said, I think that he would be more useful coming on for Gilberto instead of vice versa, but I don't know what Gilberto's health is like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo can still strike the ball with some authority, but his speed and agility have diminished considerably. He is a late game sub at best, but with our depth at the striker position, and Dike on the mend, I don't envision him getting much playing time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember he had something nagging him earlier in the year but he should be okay now.

I have a feeling we will see him in Houston for a little bit of time and more than likely the friendly against Tottenham (just to see if he can go 90 minutes, despite it just being a friendly).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    DeRo can still strike the ball with some authority, but his speed and agility have diminished considerably. He is a late game sub at best, but with our depth at the striker position, and Dike on the mend, I don't envision him getting much playing time.
    And that's ok. He's not breaking the bank on our payroll and just may have some valuable MLS experience and insight he can pass on to the younger guys on the roster. Who knows, maybe his long-term plan is to get into coaching and intends to develop that new path with TFC?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero will appear in houston because of his appeal to those fans I would bet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Same. DeRo has seriously lost a step, and I suspect that's just as responsible for him being semi-glued to the bench.

Nothing wrong with that, as he's not a young man any more, but it is what it is. I think we see him possibly play 90 against Spurs, simply as a test for his endurance, and because wearing him out in a friendly makes more sense than wearing out a starter.

Bringing DeRo back, for me, was always more of a "feel good story" than a seriously impactful football transaction.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MCL injury last year was a killer but his numbers were on a steady decline prior to that. It's just a fact of life. We all get older, lose a step.

I was really disappointed not to see him get minutes at home against DC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like yesterday that a thread questioning Dero could generate 10 posts in 12 seconds. Now he can't generate 10 posts in 12 hours.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because there are only about 20 people who actually post on this message board now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCknw View Post
    That's because there are only about 20 people who actually post on this message board now.
    Suspect it has more to do with the fact that the "DeRo Drama" is finally behind us, and there isn't much to say about his play for us this season. The guy is a sub.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dero had speed and that was why he was as good as he was. But without that speed he needed to change his game to adapt - which he has not done. This will be his demise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think DeRo should get more time as a sub. It's so obviously clear that he's 4th on the depth chart but when we're playing 2 games a week he should be getting at least 35 minutes.

Yesterday it should have been Defoe and Gilberto up top with DeRo off the bench. Moore DOES NOT have the legs to go 135 minutes straight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he will get some time in Houston tomorrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Same. DeRo has seriously lost a step, and I suspect that's just as responsible for him being semi-glued to the bench.

Nothing wrong with that, as he's not a young man any more, but it is what it is. I think we see him possibly play 90 against Spurs, simply as a test for his endurance, and because wearing him out in a friendly makes more sense than wearing out a starter.

Bringing DeRo back, for me, was always more of a "feel good story" than a seriously impactful football transaction.

well stated ..... x2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somehow i feel a sense of security when he's around.....also i believe he still has some distracting influence on the opposing players. kinda keeps them chasing till the clock runs out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"At #Italy vs #Portugal Legends game & the crowd is far louder than our games. We need to get some of these fans out. Love the passion"

DeRo tweet tonight......

jeez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    "At #Italy vs #Portugal Legends game & the crowd is far louder than our games. We need to get some of these fans out. Love the passion"

DeRo tweet tonight......

jeez.

Maybe he shouldn't have let his team become a calamitous clusterfuck in his two years here before that ended up with half of our great supporters leaving. Fuck off.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DeRo tweet tonight......

jeez.
    Jeez but he has a point.

Lots of casual fans now that want to be "entertained." Grassroots was seriously neglected and a lot left.

Very big issue for the club going forward. They boosted numbers up for the Defoe-show. Can they convert that casual interest into passion.

Still DeRo... as honest and true as it is... did you have to say it? What is there to gain by putting that out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo tweet tonight......

jeez.
    wow just wow... pumping up the people who think they are too good to watch the league he plays in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Jeez but he has a point.

Lots of casual fans now that want to be "entertained." Grassroots was seriously neglected.

Very big issue for the club going forward. They boosted numbers up for the Defoe-show. Can they convert that casual interest into passion.

Still DeRo... as honest and true as it is... did you have to say it?
    first time I hv ever agreed with you pookiei have diff fans in my section every game and they have no clue...they show up 10 min late and leave 10 min early.i had a fan walk in front of me during the pk last game.the atmosphere has been average this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's definitely a huge difference between this season and the early days. I really miss the atmosphere from the first season. Performance was utter shit, but the atmosphere really made up for it ... god forbid, there are times where I wondered if I was willing to have a return to how shitty the team used to be in exchange for that atmosphere. Remember the days when Toronto was famous for its atmosphere to the point where every single post-match interview revolved around questions like "what does it feel like to play in front of these fans?" We hardly get crowd noise/excitement in response to an offensive build up nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Jeez but he has a point.

Lots of casual fans now that want to be "entertained." Grassroots was seriously neglected and a lot left.

Still DeRo... as honest and true as it is... did you have to say it? What is there to gain by putting that out there?
    That's the big question can these newer fans find a spot in support? Or are they just the flash in the pan fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    wow just wow... pumping up the people who think they are too good to watch the league he plays in
    Completely agree. Seen a picture of the stands during the game and the entire upper deck of the west stand was empty. Handful of people in one section. I don't thinking was as loud as he claims it was.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    first time I hv ever agreed with you pookiei have diff fans in my section every game and they have no clue...they show up 10 min late and leave 10 min early.i had a fan walk in front of me during the pk last game.the atmosphere has been average this season.
    This has been an ongoing issue since day one. Lets not pretend that it was prevalent in the early years. People see the game as the cool place to be. So they'll bring there friends get pissed at the game and say what an amazing time it was. Unfortunately this happens far too often.

I wish there was a full episode of All For One that just followed our groups during a game. Show the casual fan what we do and how much fun it is to do what we do. Its funny that I still have to explain to people that the groups do all this on our own. They seem to think that the club runs the banners and such.

But this the problem with a league that support is just coming into its own. its a learning process for everyone. We should be on the front foot of bringing these people into the fold and showing them what we offer and how rewarding it is to do what we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the big question can these newer fans find a spot in support? Or are they just the flash in the pan fans.

Completely agree. Seen a picture of the stands during the game and the entire upper deck of the west stand was empty. Handful of people in one section. I don't thinking was as loud as he claims it was.

This has been an ongoing issue since day one. Lets not pretend that it was prevalent in the early years. People see the game as the cool place to be. So they'll bring there friends get pissed at the game and say what an amazing time it was. Unfortunately this happens far too often.

I wish there was a full episode of All For One that just followed our groups during a game. Show the casual fan what we do and how much fun it is to do what we do. Its funny that I still have to explain to people that the groups do all this on our own. They seem to think that the club runs the banners and such.

But this the problem with a league that support is just coming into its own. its a learning process for everyone. We should be on the front foot of bringing these people into the fold and showing them what we offer and how rewarding it is to do what we do.
    So much this... I've been tossing around the idea of a "day in the life of a supporter" video (from waking up hungover in burlington through pregame/setup of section and drumming chanting etc). I just have no technical skills to pull something like that off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    So much this... I've been tossing around the idea of a "day in the life of a supporter" video (from waking up hungover in burlington through pregame/setup of section and drumming chanting etc). I just have no technical skills to pull something like that off
    I've been thinking the same. We should really start getting something like this together .
    Last edited by BuSaPuNk; 07-21-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that this the problem with a league that support is just coming into its own. its a learning process for everyone.
    Last edited by Adley159; 07-22-2014 at 10:49 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking the same. We should really start getting something like this together .
    I like this idea!

And if I could make a suggestion, maybe feature 3 or so different people and get a broader perspective of the supporters as a whole. Would be good to see a larger cross-section of RPBers.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll drive yourself mad comparing MlS to teams that have existed for 100+ years and have been supported by families for generaltions. Also I think its easy to confuse cheering and supporting to being a football fan. In the early days of #TFC the thing was being a fan and cheering etc....very little football to appreciate. Real fans of the sport in Toronto in 2007 were watching the U20 World Cup - yes that was Aguero winning a World Cup Final...in Toronto. The club and MLS is finally making some progress to being of sufficent quality. Atmosphere has to be earned it's not a switch that can be just turned on and off - MLSE almost blew it entirely. A huge portion of TFC fans are already from immigrant loving football places...just need to broaden it a bit. Seems a bit precious to me to be getting offended by Dero's comment.

BTW how about the club offering a special rate for kids registered in the OSA?