Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Missed the game, looks like a great comeback win.

Watching the highlights and Oduro looked pissed after scoring the tying goal. Was that in response to something specific during the game or was it just general frustration from having not yet scored until that point this season?
    I think he was hurt.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't remember TFC coming back from 2:0. Nice.
    Bloom was exposed twice and made us look like Brazil early on.. Only sheer determination and Defoe magic turned it around. Bitchy also kept her cool, despite seagulls dive-bombing her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it me or does TFC play more like a team without Bradley? Anyway, great win despite awful start.

Big game coming up on Wednesday against Vancouver. We can't drop anymore points at home so we need to pick up a win to move up in the standings.

This team is good enough to finish first in the east once everyone is healthy and had some time to get used to each other (we rarely see all 3 DP's playing together anymore).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, I didn't notice Bradley wasn't playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching the highlights and Oduro looked pissed after scoring the tying goal. Was that in response to something specific during the game or was it just general frustration from having not yet scored until that point this season?
    Oduro used to play for Houston so he did not celebrate the goal out of respect I believe.
    Last edited by SKB; 07-13-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Is it me or does TFC play more like a team without Bradley? Anyway, great win despite awful start.
    I was saying that on the way home.

I don't know what it is, if he messes with people's mojo or if he plays at a different pace or what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to take anything away from a win. 3 points is 3 points.. but That was all on the Keeper.. he should have saved every single one of those goals. Just poor poor attempts to save.
    Last edited by Kaz; 07-13-2014 at 12:58 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed the game today, but glad for the result. Catching some of the highlights now. Can't help but notice that Oduro scored after playing less than 250 minutes with TFC, while Gilberto played over twice that many minutes before he bagged his first goal.

And Defoe. What more can be said about the guy? He's averaging like .85 goals per game now. That's pretty phenomenal for this club.

Anyway, looking forward to the Vancouver match. Gonna be the first time in a long time since I've been to a mid-week game.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 07-13-2014 at 01:15 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noticed that too. Just guessing, but I wonder if it had to do with him missing from the same spot last week in extra time against Chicago which would have won the game. Probably not happy he didn't bury it on the first try rather than scoring off the rebound landing at his feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He used to play for Houston so perhaps he just didn't want to celebrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He used to play for Houston so I think he didn't celebrate out of respect. That or he's pissed that he didn't set up a papa johns celebration in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think he was hurt.
    Oduro was definitely hurt or winded - as they are running up to him after he scores, you can see him point to the centre of his chest or something.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see that Toronto FC won 4 -2 last night over Houston.

TFC TFC TFC!!!

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Oduro was definitely hurt or winded - as they are running up to him after he scores, you can see him point to the centre of his chest or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I don't want to take anything away from a win. 3 points is 3 points.. but That was all on the Keeper.. he should have saved every single one of those goals. Just poor poor attempts to save.
    No way. Wide open from about 8 yards out? Davis drilled both of those. Can't except a keeper to save from that close in with the amount of time he had to tee them.

Ed: oh you meant Tally Hall. After everyone getting on Bendik this week I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only one their keeper blew it on positioning-wise, was Defoe's first - and even then, I'm pretty sure Defoe put it through his legs, so it was a really well taken shot. I don't know how you think, for example, he "should have had" Defoe's second goal. 1v1 against one of the best strikers in the league? And despite that, he managed to get a piece of it - just not enough to stop Defoe from rushing to finish it off.

I wouldn't say their keeper had a good game or anything, but he was placed in awkward positions by the first two, and completely hung out to dry on the fourth.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think there were two gifts. One on the keeper on Osorio's goal and another on the breakaway pass to Defoe. I can't fault their keeper on the other two. Plus he made a great save on Defoe's free kick.

Bendik saved quite a few as well and that miss Houston had in the 66th(?) would have been significant.

Entertaining game.

It was important to take points from Houston as they are one of the teams that could catch TFC. In this Quest for Mediocrity (ie Making the Playoffs), half get in and half don't. If they can put Houston out of it, it becomes a race where 5 of 9 make it.

Not quite as easy as CFL Playoffs but should be achievable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Sweet back heel from Jackson right in front of Nelson. The whole play developed nicely from there. Defoe made there defence look like they were standing still really highlighting the reason for there horrible defensive record. TFC did what they had to which is take advantage of bad teams and collect 3 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    Can't remember TFC coming back from 2:0. Nice.
    Bloom was exposed twice and made us look like Brazil early on.. Only sheer determination and Defoe magic turned it around. Bitchy also kept her cool, despite seagulls dive-bombing her.
    It was a nice comeback and that seagull was quite brave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I think there were two gifts. One on the keeper on Osorio's goal and another on the breakaway pass to Defoe. I can't fault their keeper on the other two. Plus he made a great save on Defoe's free kick.

Bendik saved quite a few as well and that miss Houston had in the 66th(?) would have been significant.

Entertaining game.

It was important to take points from Houston as they are one of the teams that could catch TFC. In this Quest for Mediocrity (ie Making the Playoffs), half get in and half don't. If they can put Houston out of it, it becomes a race where 5 of 9 make it.

Making the playoffs has always been the goal this year. If it was so easy, you'd think we'd have done it by now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    Funny, I didn't notice Bradley wasn't playing.
    Two words: Collen Warner.

That being said, we should be that much stronger when Bradley is fit.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Making the playoffs has always been the goal this year. If it was so easy, you'd think we'd have done it by now!
    Yep. You'd think. Every other team has managed that over the last 8 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. You'd think. Every other team has managed that over the last 8 years.
    Odds are it would happen even by accident. Takes a whole new level of ineptness to not. Luckily we are turning a corner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defence was terrible on their first two goals. Better teams woulnt have let us back in. Gilberto had a chance to seal it late and didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes nice comeback win, ironically i think that our passing was better on the two previous games, this game was kind of choppy. The next two games should be interesting, Nelson will likely have to bring some of the bench players into to the games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could surpass last year's point total by the end of the week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The only one their keeper blew it on positioning-wise, was Defoe's first - and even then, I'm pretty sure Defoe put it through his legs, so it was a really well taken shot. I don't know how you think, for example, he "should have had" Defoe's second goal. 1v1 against one of the best strikers in the league? And despite that, he managed to get a piece of it - just not enough to stop Defoe from rushing to finish it off.

I wouldn't say their keeper had a good game or anything, but he was placed in awkward positions by the first two, and completely hung out to dry on the fourth.

First Goal, off the hands instead of catching it, Osorio in the right place though for just such a thing..

Second Goal shot, rebound, shot again. It's poor clearance, poor defending. (but hey it happens)

Third Goal Defoe - right threw the 5 hole. It's not a hockey puck your legs shouldn't be so wide that a large soccer ball can pass threw. This goal never would have happened with a better keeper

Fourth Goal. Really bad back pass. Defoe hit the five hole and through it went again, not as easily this time but still. Defoe might have taken a different shooting angle with a different keeper.

When the Keep (Tally Hall) lets 2 goals through a five hole.. then you can questions his efficiency as a keeper.

The last goal was going in.. Defoe shot it right between his legs... the only reason a striker shoots a ball at a keeper is if the keeper is poor enough to let it go through.

The first two you can make an argument that the Keeper wasn't fully at fault.. but all four goals came off or through the Keeper. Two were through the 5 Hole, and had he not had such a wide open stance and I'm assuming poor reflexes it wouldn't have happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts on one of the most exciting games I have ever seen at BMO.

Defoe dominated in the final third. I simply can't say enough about his performance and wonder how far he can lead this team.

Gilberto should have nailed that opportunity and he continues to disappoint. He is not earning his salary and I only say that because of the MLS salary cap system.

Once Dike is back, would that DP slot be better used on someone else? Perhaps a DP winger from England? Someone who can work with Defoe?

My point is that once Dike is back, we'll have Defoe, Dike, Moore and Gilberto competing for 2 slots up top and I am not sure that Gilberto is going to live up to expectations.

Our back four looked shaky in the first 20 minutes but settled down and had a solid second half.

Still lots of work to be done, but this looks like a playoff team (IMO)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entertaining game.

I am only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing. - Chris Knight (Real Genius 1985)

Keep in mind we are also looking for a Champions League spot which right now is also not a sure thing.

Plenty happening.

Cheer up or we will break into your place, put a giant popcorn foil into it, and Hack the US Air Force flight data to have an American Laser Plane fly over and super heat it, filling your place with delicious popcorn to the sounds of Tears for Fears. And we'll get away with it too because it's not scientifically possible, and it's hilarious.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    My thoughts on one of the most exciting games I have ever seen at BMO.

Defoe dominated in the final third. I simply can't say enough about his performance and wonder how far he can lead this team.

Gilberto should have nailed that opportunity and he continues to disappoint. He is not earning his salary and I only say that because of the MLS salary cap system.

Once Dike is back, would that DP slot be better used on someone else? Perhaps a DP winger from England? Someone who can work with Defoe?

My point is that once Dike is back, we'll have Defoe, Dike, Moore and Gilberto competing for 2 slots up top and I am not sure that Gilberto is going to live up to expectations.

Our back four looked shaky in the first 20 minutes but settled down and had a solid second half.

Still lots of work to be done, but this looks like a playoff team (IMO)
    I don't think it is that much of a decision. Defoe needs to be replaced at some point over the next 3 seasons.

It would be stupid to resign him at 34.

Ride him this season and maybe next but they have to keep an eye on replacements. Gilberto and Dike might be that combination that steps up.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing. - Chris Knight (Real Genius 1985)

Keep in mind we are also looking for a Champions League spot which right now is also not a sure thing.

Plenty happening.

Cheer up or we will break into your place, put a giant popcorn foil into it, and Hack the US Air Force flight data to have an American Laser Plane fly over and super heat it, filling your place with delicious popcorn to the sounds of Tears for Fears. And we'll get away with it too because it's not scientifically possible, and it's hilarious.
    Who isn't happy? All MLSE teams set a low bar... competing for the playoffs, which by definition is what every team does during the season... and this might be the one that actually achieves it