Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    $12 dollars and the defence leeks like a bad drain...

Get a decent cenral defenderl FFS!!!

O'Dear out!! Calwell out!! Nelsen out!!!
    I don't say this lightly...

You must be new.

If that giving up a last kick of the ball goal has you chewing your hat raging that you misspell player names, calling out players we no longer have you may want to slow your roll.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't see it live, but major arguments between teammates about taking free kicks are not a good thing, regardless of outcome.

Nelsen would have given instructions about what happens in this situation, which one of the two players blatantly ignored.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Defoe has done nothing but finish every chance he has got and I bet Hodgson is thinking twice next time around.
    Wouldn't go that far on the first part. He whiffed on one bad, then there was the poor first touch when he was going in on goal alone. Great touch on the goal though.
    Last edited by GBV; 06-28-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Didn't see it live, but major arguments between teammates about taking free kicks are not a good thing, regardless of outcome.

Nelsen would have given instructions about what happens in this situation, which one of the two players blatantly ignored.
    For next time :

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    For next time :

love it
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly what i thought/tweeted. Think its not so much the hip as it was ignoring Nelsen's tactics that got Gilberto subbed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Gilberto had a point to prove, and he has clearly been frustrated with his lack of opportunities to take set pieces all season. I'm just glad he took advantage. I don't think anyone else on the team is capable of scoring on that free kick in that fashion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    exactly what i thought/tweeted. Think its not so much the hip as it was ignoring Nelsen's tactics that got Gilberto subbed.
    That's just reaching. He's not going to sub the guy after he came on as a sub and scored his first goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its moments like the Gilberto/Defoe incident where Nelsen really earns his money and I'm sure he knows all about the ego's or alpha male mentality going on. I think this is one of the moments that really strengthen the team, yes Defoe has the right to be pissed, but he also has got to understand he needs to get his strike partner going to, he cant do it himself the whole year. I think the rest of the team welcomed Gilberto's fire there, well maybe this got a little worried Becker lol.

Unleash the Gilbertron!

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    + = GILBERTRON
    Last edited by Richard; 06-28-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good result last night.
    Last minute goal is down to BENDIK.
    Cahill out jumps defender-ball lobs into the six yard box.
    W/P is 3 yes 3 yards out as ball drops.
    Bendik is flat footed and looking at the play.
    He could have taken 2 steps forward caught the ball at head height and game over.
    Has happened before and will happen again because he is not coached properly.
    Or he has no reaction time in tight situation's.
    2 very good goals for us last night/2 crap goals against.
    ALL BEARDS CAN GO NOW.
    Gilberto scored end of story!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an overall picture I do think we overpay Caldwell for what he does ($364 000 is basically DP territory), but he was not at fault today. Bendik was at fault for the final goal as it really was a simple save to make from a tight angle.

Overall though great game and loved the fluidity in attack and GILBERTO's dynamite of a free kick! I think Gilberto would have let Defoe take that if he hadn't had to give up free kick after free kick to Bekker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    That's just reaching. He's not going to sub the guy after he came on as a sub and scored his first goal.
    Not if hes scared of losing control of the locker room or has a point to prove with his tactics. Nelsen very well could have said that Defoe is to take all set pieces. That being said Nelsen said nothing about that sort of thing afterwards.
    Dont think its reaching that much.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its reaching because

a) Nelsen said the sub of Gilberto put TFC off their stride

b) Gilberto isn't playing on Wednesday according to reports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Really...you are quoting Dunleavy now to help your narrative?!?!

Give it a rest.

Geez....people.....look at how Defoe and Gilberto did fist pumps and hugged after the dog pile. There was a camera on Defoe right after the free kick and he was laughing.

What ifs?

This is football....there are only what ares.

Its a room full of alpha males - things happen.
    It was a pretty forced reaction compared to what we saw in the heat of the moment before. Gilberto looks a little bit like he's a man to himself among the group. Hope they are pushing him hard to close that language gap.

Anyway, people on the team liking each other gets entirely too much attention. It's like something we as the fans are required to be force-fed to extrapolate our childhood notions of playing sports with the experience professionals have. Lots of teams simply aren't as chummy as we like, more so just professional. I don't care what these guys think of each other as long as they win.

Still can't believe it took months for that guy to get behind the free kick. Our helter-skelter approach of "whoever feels it, takes it" is nonsense. Well coached youth teams did away with that crap nearly a decade ago. Watching professionals for scrap these on a weekly basis is getting annoying.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-28-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sure about that? Jackson (Jackson!!) took a free kick on goal a couple games ago. I think he's told them whoever wants it, take it.

Random thoughts about the game:

1. Gilberto/Defoe drama a complete non-issue. Who cares what would've happened if he missed? He didn't. If Defoe had reacted negatively to the goal than we'd have a problem. But he was probably the happiest guy on the pitch next to Gilberto after it went in. I'm seeing a lot of mountains out of molehills with respect to this.

2. Montreal fans looking silly for all the rejoicing I saw on their end when they traded Warner to us. He's been incredibly solid.

3. Oduro is fucking fast. I think we're going to win this trade handsomely.

edit: One more thing, Osorio played quite well. His passing was on point. Want to see more of these kinds of performances from him.
    Last edited by notthesun; 06-28-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's entirely possible that the flare-up between Defoe and Gilberto is not a big deal, and just the result of of a highly-frustrated alpha male wanting to take a free kick... but it just didn't seem like healthy behaviour to me.

I guess I'll just have to see how they behave the next game.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The free kicks were a problem with bekker as well..should have be sorted by now. Thought gilberto should have been tried way earlier 9in the season...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto did take a free kick before this game. He skied it
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/...-supersonic-fk

Watch the very last few seconds. Defoe is smiling as soon as the goal goes in.

ANYBODY who thinks this will be an issue moving forward is over thinking it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe and Gilberto have no ongoing problem, but Nelsen and Gilberto, I wouldn't be too sure.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe and Gilberto have no ongoing problem, but Nelsen and Gilberto, I wouldn't be too sure.
    Agreed, people seem to be brushing that off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I don't say this lightly...

You must be new.

If that giving up a last kick of the ball goal has you chewing your hat raging that you misspell player names, calling out players we no longer have you may want to slow your roll.

Surely my point was clear enough. Rookie manager, poor defenders (over and over)... money spent on big names rather than improvement throughout

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What I do think could be an issue going forward is the $6M Man calling out his teammates with begging arms repeatedly. As others have noted, the Gilberto incident isn't his first on field "issue"… it appears like he has been to that dance before.

I started a thread a long time about about Nelsen's biggest challenge might be managing the locker room. I'm sure that young and developing players are thrilled to get a chance to train with Defoe. What they probably don't like is being called out for mistakes while earning less in a year than he makes in a week.

As long as the goals are going in, people will be happy.

But like last night, if they don't it could be a different story.

If Gilberto misses, does anyone think that Defoe goes over and shakes his hand and tries to rally him to pot the next one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Agreed, people seem to be brushing that off
    with all due respect - Defoe is a known hot head and a selfish player, and people seem to be brushjng that off.......knocking the ball out of your teammates hands is disrespectful to the crest and a sends a bad message.....i give him a yellow card for his actions not the disagreement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Surely my point was clear enough. Rookie manager, poor defenders (over and over)... money spent on big names rather than improvement throughout
    But you know you can't spread that money out? Sure you could have not brought in DP's and spread out the cap space but I doubt that really would have had the necessary impact to bring this team up to it's current level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty obvious what the problem was. Defoe made a 20 yard run with the ball and was fouled by one of 3 RB players chasing him. He obviously felt he deserved to take the kick. His reaction afterward was honest and not forced or phony in any way. I think he realised what happened a minute earlier was silly and laughed at the fact that the goal was so unbelievable and it put their tiff in perspective. Anyone making a big deal out of this is really reaching. This stuff happens all the time in sports.

Lucky for those guys in the wall none of them took that shot in the melon. Might be career ending concussion.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    It's pretty obvious what the problem was. Defoe made a 20 yard run with the ball and was fouled by one of 3 RB players chasing him. He obviously felt he deserved to take the kick. His reaction afterward was honest and not forced or phony in any way. I think he realised what happened a minute earlier was silly and laughed at the fact that the goal was so unbelievable and it put their tiff in perspective. Anyone making a big deal out of this is really reaching. This stuff happens all the time in sports.

Lucky for those guys in the wall none of them took that shot in the melon. Might be career ending concussion.
    I think frustrations happen all the time and in any locker room of 20 guys, there are bound to be conflicts.

What doesn't happen all the time is when those conflicts are on display publicly and actually slapping a ball out of a teammates' hand. Sure it happens but certainly a very very low percentage of incidents relative to the number of games played on any given day.

I doubt we will see more of this publicly though. Both players would be warned and common sense should take over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can actually see #20 moving AWAY from the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game really showed me how much more pleasurable it is to watch TFC this season. No matter what happens, I enjoy it. They seem to have the chance to win any game for one thing which I've already noticed. They also finally score the kind of goals that I always wanted to see TFC score. Great goals like you would see other teams score on tv and not just some lucky bounce. It's happening very often too. This is a really interesting and fun team.
    It's funny how giving up a goal in the last minute would have destroyed my mood watching TFC in past seasons but this year, it feels different. Instead of being angry, I felt like it's a shame because they gave it a really good try.

I'm pleased at the moment to say the least.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty obvious what the problem was. Defoe made a 20 yard run with the ball and was fouled by one of 3 RB players chasing him. He obviously felt he deserved to take the kick. His reaction afterward was honest and not forced or phony in any way. I think he realised what happened a minute earlier was silly and laughed at the fact that the goal was so unbelievable and it put their tiff in perspective. Anyone making a big deal out of this is really reaching. This stuff happens all the time in sports

Exactly how how I saw it.