Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a punt and hope. Bloom got caught up, Warner didn't track the forward and Caldwell took a step to the middle in case Cahill brought it down. Cahill does a wonderful header and bang goes 2 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    It was a punt and hope. Bloom got caught up and Caldwell took a step to the middle in case Cahill brought it down. Cahill does a wonderful header and bang goes 2 points.
    FOOTBALL!

Its a a smash and grab where we tripped and dropped the loot, but still got away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd play Warner who brings defensive balance to the midfield and allows Bradley to go to do Bradley things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take the point...but man,the mls and the 90 min goal..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny how people re now PRAISING Henry....He's still the same useless doofus who has cost us 6-8 points so far this year....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'd play Warner who brings defensive balance to the midfield and allows Bradley to go to do Bradley things.
    So you start Osiro in LM or bench him? Osorio really looked like his own self tonight (I guess he's healthy again)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    So you start Osiro in LM or bench him? Osorio really looked like his own self tonight (I guess he's healthy again)
    Yep, Oso on the left.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a lot better game then I thought it would be. The work on the training pitch was obvious.

Take the positives of the play of Warner, Osorio, Defoe and Gilberto's goal, the point and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Gilberto goal was one of my favorite TFC moments ever. I'm not even mad at the tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtf was Caldwell doing on that goal...jezzzz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe has done nothing but finish every chance he has got and I bet Hodgson is thinking twice next time around.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    If Cahill brings that down, Caldwell blocks it. Caldwell plays zone type coverage all the time. On this occasion, he made the wrong call.

Regaradless, a forward coming in on the left has to be covered by either Bloom or Warner. What was Bloom doing so high up with that little time left?

Blown coverage.

Bloom had a bit of a stinker. Bendik had a minor meltdown on him there just before the go ahead goal. Was not good positionally. I'm thinking Orr might get a RB start on Wednesday.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-27-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can actually say that we have bench depth, it's kind of exciting. Give it two more months of this team gelling, and as long as people are healthy, we're a top 2 dominant team in the league.

defoe and either moore or gilberto
    oduro and jackson with flare and pace on the wings.
    bradley and warner, with osorio, becker, dero, orr as backups
    morrow and bloom, caldwell and henry or hagglund (this could be the weakest area)
    bendik

I like our chances.

We're going to be a 4-2 or 3-1 type of winning scoreline team come September.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Yep, Oso on the left.
    nope Orso was great tonight , Warner ok....Orso's our future ...his passes were deadly and changed the game with the first goal assist.......with the team chemistry I saw tonight , I'm wondering how Bradley and his , am I a Am or an Dm or simply all over the place, will fit in to an amazing team effort tonight. Everyone was moving forward tonight....with break out passing ......question ...does Bradley really fit in....@$50 MIL.......just askin
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry felas but if Caldwell is the rock on which Nelsen plans to build this team, then we are fked!!

Much more composure at the back is reqiured if we are no going to give up daft goals and this $12M+ team is to progress. Doniel would be a far better centre half, and or back line as a whole would be better served with an experienced and composed partner...

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed Braveheart as much as the next man, but it is as much of a myth, as is the belief that a third rate Scotsman can be at the heart of out backline

3 points were there for the taking tonight and lost due to the lack of organization at the back....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought once we scored the go ahead goal we gradually fell into that classic TFC mold of bunkering so far back it makes it easy for the other team to attack. Joe Bednik readily kicked the ball straight back to NY in one of the last series of the game. Hold on to the ball a bit and at least try to push them out of your end a bit. Sure we could point out who the goat was on that specific play, but Bednik already bailed us out a couple of times prior to that and NY fluffed a couple of shots. You could feel it coming.

Anyway, that only slightly took the shine off what otherwise was a good game. This team will need to make adjustments though. Luke Moore can't be consistently starting for any good MLS team. His impact over 90 minutes is absolutely woeful. Jackson too... he's simply not going to connect with your forwards very often or threaten to score.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-27-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you need to bring nationality into a captaincy or positional role on the team. I know you're new around here, but those types of comments might have you out of here pretty quick.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bunch of times TFC looked very exposed at the back, especially when they had just had a nice spell of attack with many pushed forward.

It's really a new style of playing for this year's TFC, we've only seen glimpses of that before today. The team will need to learn to get the balance right, to still defend well. Some of the errors today were by defenders, others by midfielders in a defensive role (or at least: that should have been in a defensive role).

I'm concerned Defoe & Gilberto may both be injured; Bradley may not be back for a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is a liability... ive said this for weeks now. The fact he gets the armband ahead of Bradley speaks to Nelsen's inexperience, not to mention were paying him $6250 a week for the pleasure of an incompetent defender who gives nothing in return

If ever there was a case for MLS being a retirement home for failed European players, Caldwell epitomises it .... The fact so many TFC fans are OK with this... is even more worrying...
    Last edited by General Woolfe; 06-27-2014 at 09:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC on 1.67 points per game... tied for best in the conference, and 2nd-best in the whole league.

And we've played more of the top teams in the league already, fewer of the lower-placed teams. Congested schedule coming up, but more of those games should be relatively easy (on paper).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    He is a liability... ive said this for weeks now. The fact he gets the armband ahead of Bradley speaks to Nelsen's inexperience
    \

No. It doesn't. Bradley will obviously get the captaincy as soon as next year, at which point Caldwell will be 34 and assuming a more De Ro type role with the team and Hagglund taking over his position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    A bunch of times TFC looked very exposed at the back, especially when they had just had a nice spell of attack with many pushed forward.

It's really a new style of playing for this year's TFC, we've only seen glimpses of that before today. The team will need to learn to get the balance right, to still defend well. Some of the errors today were by defenders, others by midfielders in a defensive role (or at least: that should have been in a defensive role).

I'm concerned Defoe & Gilberto may both be injured; Bradley may not be back for a bit.
    what happened to defoe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

I see what you're saying, but I loathe our previously lacking commitment to getting forward. The more shrewdly coached teams punished us when we became too conservative and we paid for it. Without a credible attack, we really make it easier for the other teams to pick away at us. Ignoring todays game (because this generally isn't my point) the old TFC that'd defend, defend, defend then give up the late goal gives you the illusion you're getting somewhere when you aren't. Teams that play that way collapse late, that's just how it is. We occasionally were exposed today when we sent people forward, but that was a calculated risk. We out shot them, out possessed them, and generally did more things that usually would have lead to winning that game. If we had at least one extra consistent threat up top or out wide besides defoe, we probably would have run away with it. But as it stands we have a lot of low quality parts that being made to look better by one prolific striker and a couple of mids that generally find people in good places (Warner, Osorio).

I'm not sure how Petke scouted TFC, but in my mind he got a bunch of things wrong, starting with the high backline he played early. Credit to Nelsen and the team, up until that last ~10minutes or so they consistently were a step ahead of whatever NY tried to do. When they played the high backline we played it over the top. When they dropped we started overlapping the wingers and using the space. When they clogged the middle we started pushing the channels. We dragged Defoe all over the place to make it more difficult to mark him out of the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what happened to defoe?
    He was clutching his leg near the end, sat on the side & pulled his shoe off. Defoe wanted to be subbed off but Gilberto went instead, probably his knock was worse. But after that their subs were used up, and Defoe was just walking/hobbling about.

Let's hope these things aren't serious....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am Scottish by birth, Torontonian by nationality. My comments about Caldwell have to do with his lack of talent, nothing more..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind lads, back to some real football tomorrow...

Go Chile!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I loathe our previously lacking commitment to getting forward. The more shrewdly coached teams punished us when we became too conservative and we paid for it. Without a credible attack, we really make it easier for the other teams to pick away at us. Ignoring todays game (because this generally isn't my point) the old TFC that'd defend, defend, defend then give up the late goal gives you the illusion you're getting somewhere when you aren't. Teams that play that way collapse late, that's just how it is. We occasionally were exposed today when we sent people forward, but that was a calculated risk. We out shot them, out possessed them, and generally did more things that usually would have lead to winning that game. If we had at least one extra consistent threat up top or out wide besides defoe, we probably would have run away with it. But as it stands we have a lot of low quality parts that being made to look better by one prolific striker and a couple of mids that generally find people in good places (Warner, Osorio).

I'm not sure how Petke scouted TFC, but in my mind he got a bunch of things wrong, starting with the high backline he played early. Credit to Nelsen and the team, up until that last ~10minutes or so they consistently were a step ahead of whatever NY tried to do. When they played the high backline we played it over the top. When they dropped we started overlapping the wingers and using the space. When they clogged the middle we started pushing the channels. We dragged Defoe all over the place to make it more difficult to mark him out of the game.
    I totally don't think they should go back to the recent ways! You can't hang on for dear life for 70% of every game. I was happy with today overall. I'm just saying, it's a new way for them to play, and they need to learn the balance & proper positioning to not be too exposed. Bradley will help when he's back.

TFC with 46.6% possession today, 81% pass accuracy, in an away game. Wow, much better than other games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Never mind lads, back to some real football tomorrow...

Go Chile!!!!
    Actually, I found myself enjoying watching TFC tonight amidst the World Cup. We were fluid in our attack and scored two world class goals tonight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    That Gilberto goal was one of my favorite TFC moments ever. I'm not even mad at the tie.
    I agree. I want to be entertained. Taking the ball away from Defoe, scowling at the wall, running at the ball like a cartoon character, and then this, a most remarkable shot. I loved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Actually, I found myself enjoying watching TFC tonight amidst the World Cup. We were fluid in our attack and scored two world class goals tonight.
    What a difference between now and four years ago. I remember in 2010 going back to MLS after the WC and I could barely stomach the quality of play. Completely different story now.