Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Puto" and "Douche Bag" - Appropriate?

I had a guy beside me at the last game shout "Puto" every time their keeper kicked the ball, (he also was screaming for TFC to kick and hurt the other team...all this in front of his family of course, while lamenting the fact that beer wasn't sold at the 80th minute - hopefully he doesn't slide into my area again) I also remember this word coming up during CCL games. Then I was reminded this week when hearing this done by the Mexican supporters that the meaning is unsavoury, to put it mildly.

Seems ESPN is not happy with it, for one. http://www.outsports.com/2014/6/18/5...rld-cup-brazil

In essence, puto is calling somebody a cowardly fag - that's not on, for many reasons.

The league has also had some recent crackdown on "asshole" being shouted after the keepers kick off.

My question - is calling the opposing keeper a douche bag any better then Puto or asshole?

I know football isn't a sport without cursing - I get that. But, I'm uncertain as to whether douche bag is any better.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-18-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pretty sure this issue has been brought up before. While I think the whole "douchebag" thing is a bit infantile, I don't really have a problem with it. As for the "puto" thing, while I can understand ESPN might not be too happy about it, what are they really going to do, other than block out audio during opposing keeper goal kicks? They sure can't tell 10,000 Mexicans not to do it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I had a guy beside me at the last game shout "Puto" every time their keeper kicked the ball, (he also was screaming for TFC to kick and hurt the other team...all this in front of his family of course, while lamenting the fact that beer wasn't sold at the 80th minute - hopefully he doesn't slide into my area again) I also remember this word coming up during CCL games. Then I was reminded this week when hearing this done by the Mexican supporters that the meaning is unsavoury, to put it mildly.

Seems ESPN is not happy with it, for one. http://www.outsports.com/2014/6/18/5...rld-cup-brazil

In essence, puto is calling somebody a cowardly fag - that's not on, for many reasons.

The league has also had some recent crackdown on "asshole" being shouted after the keepers kick off.

My question - is calling the opposing keeper a douche bag any better then Puto or asshole?

I know football isn't a sport without cursing - I get that. But, I'm uncertain as to whether douche bag is any better.
    you're right of course but it can only get worse..................just guessing
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vancouver fans (i think) took an interesting angle on YSA...now it's you suck wanker

if we are going to question this, then we should also question the who's your girlfriend/father referee chant too, no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always thought puto meant whore. Won't use that word again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's what "puto" means, then it's a gay slur. "Douchebag" isn't really a slur - it's calling someone a bag for douching, unless I'm missing some sort of subtext?
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urban Dictionary definitions of "Puto"
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puto

I don't think "Douche Bag" is that bad, IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought they were saying "juicebox"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puto, at least to me, is just the masculine version of whore. I mean its still isn't a pretty word by any means but I wouldn't say it's overtly anti-homosexual. That's more like "maricon" if we remember the scandal when the ex-jay Yunel Escobar wrote on his face.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck ESPN and American double morality standards.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Puto, at least to me, is just the masculine version of whore. I mean its still isn't a pretty word by any means but I wouldn't say it's overtly anti-homosexual. That's more like "maricon" if we remember the scandal when the ex-jay Yunel Escobar wrote on his face.
    It seems to be a synonym for maricon or has become one.

Unacceptable term.

Compare now to the level of offense to call someone a douchebag. An article for cleaning a part of the body. Pretty different.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that I'm against what we're discussing here, but man do I tire of the whole "everything is offensive" movement.

What's next? Lets ban "who are ya!" because it offends people with dementia?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    vancouver fans (i think) took an interesting angle on YSA...now it's you suck wanker

if we are going to question this, then we should also question the who's your girlfriend/father referee chant too, no?
    ...and the tic-tac-tabernac chant?
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Not that I'm against what we're discussing here, but man do I tire of the whole "everything is offensive" movement.

What's next? Lets ban "who are ya!" because it offends people with dementia?

Anyone the least bit introspective as well.

I mean Who REALLY ARE WE? Like, for real...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gay/racist/sexist slurs aren't cool.

I kind of hate the term 'pussy' because I have seen two kids born, and if you are trying to refer to someone being weak, trust me, that isn't the body part to pick.

Anyway, as far as 'appropriate' goes, everything has a time and place. Let's keep soccer games one of those places ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at a Bills-Cowboys game, and essentially made a giant bright yellow poncho that covered my whole body (in an attempt to get on tv for monday night football). In giant letters on the poncho i had written "ROMO SUCKS". The sheriffs brought me down to the field and in their own polite way said that if I don't take it off immediately I can watch the game from outside the stadium.

They didn't like the word "sucks".

I couldn't fit "ROMO ISN'T AS GOOD AS POTENTIALLY THE NEXT POSSIBLE CHOICE" onto the poncho, so I went for "sucks".

I still don't know if I was on MNF.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO:

The line I don't want to see crossed is sexist/homophobic stuff.

Puto is offensive. Its like calling somebody on the pitch a fag, as a slag off.

Douchebag...not an issue in my mind.

Asshole...that's just juvenile.

Yeah, its all subjective.

Puto might be going to come up in this world cup as an issue - the journalists are getting restless down there and looking for something to discuss.

Today is "goodbye Spain" day.

Tomorrow will be either "goodbye England, again" or "Suarez - poor man" day.

They will run out of stuff to discuss, and there are a lot of American/UK press down there.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-19-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

technically puta is a whore

therefore puto must be a male whore

Because some cultures choose to use it homo-sexually, doesn't mean the rest of us cant use it. Although I have never heard it used in a gay slur.

Are you going to tell brits and aussies not to call cigarettes fags?

enough with the nanny state. Educate people to respect each other, thats as far as we should go.
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 06-19-2014 at 09:16 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

Because some cultures choose to use it homo-sexually, doesn't mean the rest of us cant use it.

enough with the nanny state. Educated people to respect each other, thats as far as we should go.
    Brits and Aussies aren't using that term derogatorily.

Whore is also derogatory but why use it's counterpart if it was commonly mistaken for an unacceptable term? Why not just use whore?

World Pride is here. Don't make us look homophobic, please. It's not a nanny state to not want to sound like absolute scum.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Anyone the least bit introspective as well.

I mean Who REALLY ARE WE? Like, for real...

Great ... now my day is screwed. I have no idea who I am.

Douchebag - not sure how someone would links this to being a homophobic slur or anything else. Keep it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In 110 we saw "Twat, you're shit...aaaahhhhhhh"
    I think Douchebag, Asshole, Bastard and Twat are all fine words to use at a football match.

I use Cunt when women are not present.

Puto - I personally won't use it. I find it hard to bring myself to use homophobic slangs against other people, although I have been known to sing a song or two using the term "Batty Man" knowing full well what it means.

I know a ton of others who use homophobic slang pretty loosely.

Common sense says slurs are bad and to use them will probably offend someone.
    However, most people see themselves as "open and accepting" to the LGBT community and feel because of this they can use the term in a way that is not meant to be homophobic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh....there are guys in 115 who throw out pussy, fag, and cocksucker, and even the occasional N-word. Makes me ashamed to even be in the same section as them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Brits and Aussies aren't using that term derogatorily.

Whore is also derogatory but why use it's counterpart if it was commonly mistaken for an unacceptable term? Why not just use whore?

World Pride is here. Don't make us look homophobic, please. It's not a nanny state to not want to sound like absolute scum.

Like I said, I've never heard of it used as a reference to homosexuals. That article is the first time I've heard of it used in that way. Read the comments on that article, clearly not all people that speak Spanish thinks nor uses it as a homosexual remark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I can't remember the source, but I read just a few days ago that 'douchbag' is a very old term used to describe overly promiscuous women.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all here to support the Reds and watch them win, let's keep doing that.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record "puto" in Portuguese is really used in the context of little punk.

You'd call a young boy "Hey Puto".

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

Because some cultures choose to use it homo-sexually, doesn't mean the rest of us cant use it. Although I have never heard it used in a gay slur.

enough with the nanny state. Educate people to respect each other, thats as far as we should go.
    The dictionary definition is "male prostitute", just like "puta" is a "female prostitute", but the usage it is given in all of the Spanish dialects to which I've been exposed (various regions of Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Spain, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala...and others I can't remember off the top of my head) is as a gay slur, just like puta is used to describe a woman in derogatory terms (we would translate them to "faggot/fag" and "slut" in Canada). You can't separate the dictionary definition from the day to day usage of the term, no matter how much you'd like to try. Aussies and Brits can call their cigarettes fags, but that is because their dialect of English differs from ours.

In this case, adopting a very offensive term from another language and then trying to justify it by going to the "technical definition" is just not going to work. In fact, your whole premise is flawed, because you are using the term in a context where it doesn't apply, unless you know the keeper is a male prostitute. Since he probably isn't and you want to use the term as an insult, you are using the context of the word which translates not to "male prostitute", but to "faggot". This is why you can't translate languages word for word without context.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck it, the moment people ban swearing at footy games is the moment the sport dies.

Yes, racism is an exception for many reasons, but other then that, say what the fuck you want. I will.

You are saying it to offend. Offending is the point. Now I never personally use homophobic terms, it was just never a big part of the my swear word, repertoire.
    Last edited by trane; 06-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Fuck it, the moment people ban swearing at footy games is the moment the sport dies.

Yes, racism is an exception for many reasons, but other then that, say what the fuck you want. I will.

You are saying it to offend. Offending is the point. Now I never personally use homophobic terms, it was just never a big part of the my swear word, repertoire.
    Which brings up a good question.

Does one have the right to be offensive?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post

I don't have a problem with cursing someone out, but homophobic slurs are just not cool. I know people use them, but how is that different than racism? You are basically using a type of person as an insult.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy