Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought first half was osme of the best football we've played this season. Second half was crap. Wondering why Oduro played up front rather than on the wing when he came on. Hope thats not the norm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Although he made several good deep forays yesterday. He covers ground quickly with the ball and can beat a man or two, especially in the open field. He's a wrecker, and he's fast, and he can hold the ball. Decent traits.
    I don't know, I think he's all one way. He joins the attack but contributes nothing. Head down straight into three defenders in the corner or 35 yard efforts that are nowhere near the target. Misses obvious passing options passing options all the time and when he does actually pass it rarely gets there or gives the player much to work with. He works hard and holds up the ball, but otherwise is where good attacking chances go to die.

There's room for players like this on the squad but he had way too much of the ball yesterday for my liking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danubio View Post
    can't stand jackson, maybe his speed keeps the opposition left back from going forward but i've not seen him stretch the defence much if it all, looking to get behind. he doesn't take anyone on successfully. technical ability is almost non existent. almost everything he does frustrates me. i just think he's shit. 0 assists. 1 goal that was a speculative effort at best that wasn't troubling anyone but took a massive deflection (granted the team doesn't score much anyway)

maybe I'm wrong? maybe he could prove me wrong?
    I would not echo your "hate" - that is a very strong word. I am concerned about Jackson. He is coming back from concussion issues and I thought San Jose were happy to dump him to the ground every chance they got (seemed to be late challenges after he had passed the ball). I think that Jackson is an experiment. Talented, affordable and still young at 26. He does seem a little disconnected from his strikers and that is a bad sign for the TFC attack at this point of the season. He covers a lot of ground and has good defensive positioning. I think his playing time could be in trouble if TFC gets an international winger over the summer and/or picks up DaMarcus Beasley (should he return to MLS and go through the draft process).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't know, I think he's all one way. He joins the attack but contributes nothing. Head down straight into three defenders in the corner or 35 yard efforts that are nowhere near the target. Misses obvious passing options passing options all the time and when he does actually pass it rarely gets there or gives the player much to work with. He works hard and holds up the ball, but otherwise is where good attacking chances go to die.

There's room for players like this on the squad but he had way too much of the ball yesterday for my liking.
    With the limitations noted so far he is best suited as a depth player that slots in destroyer role and as a sub to help kill games off. I suppose he may be slightly overpaid as a 12-18 player but there is a cost to get players with 100 games of experience. For me these new players set the bar to break into the team. It's all encouraging from that point of view if there is increased competition for places in the squad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Thought first half was osme of the best football we've played this season. Second half was crap. Wondering why Oduro played up front rather than on the wing when he came on. Hope thats not the norm.
    Oduro and his pace prevented SJ from pinching up too high and pressure when they were going for the broke late game. And if they pushed up too high, Oduro could have broken in behind SJ defence, which almost did happen (Goodson handball)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was some of the nicest football ive ever seen Toronto FC play... they played with a lot of confidence on the backline and midfield actually moved the ball up. when defendes got close the ball was played wide and that kept possession with us throughout most of the day. If we can play this style football and enhance our midfield angiving the ball to Defoe.. we will be a very dangerous team! what a great year so far!d

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post

Also, being in right in line with Goodson's handball, that was about the most blatant red any ref could have given ever. anywhere. ever, ever. It's like bad reffing is part of the MLS product/brand. It would feel like a completely different league if I went even one game watching a ref call plays properly and consistently . There must have been about a total of 5 minutes of actually football played today. Just stop and start all day. Unbelievable.
    Sorry but Goodson's handball was just a yellow, as there was another defender covering. It's not elevated to a red, just because it was more blatant.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watching the replay, I'm quite impressed with our play in the first half. Warner and Hagglund are doing quite well. Lenhart is quite the douche.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nlsanand View Post
    Sorry but Goodson's handball was just a yellow, as there was another defender covering. It's not elevated to a red, just because it was more blatant.
    Denying a player a goalscoring opportunity by a deliberate handball is a straight red. You would be correct if it was a different foul than a deliberate handball - if he had pulled Oduro down, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Denying a player a goalscoring opportunity by a deliberate handball is a straight red. You would be correct if it was a different foul than a deliberate handball - if he had pulled Oduro down, for example.
    It's not a goal scoring opportunity, as there was a covering defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodson handball was a definite red Because I did not see a defender behind to be honest with you. But what the heck, That's how the ball rolls I guess. As far the game goes it was maybe the best total team effort I have seen so far this year. They were dominate in the first half could have had maybe a second goal . In the second they kind of sat back a bit. but still created some chances. but hell it has been a very long time the TFC were 6 4 1 in June or above 500 at this time, and we all know they can and will get better as the season goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    Goodson handball was a definite red Because I did not see a defender behind to be honest with you. But what the heck, That's how the ball rolls I guess. As far the game goes it was maybe the best total team effort I have seen so far this year. They were dominate in the first half could have had maybe a second goal . In the second they kind of sat back a bit. but still created some chances. but hell it has been a very long time the TFC were 6 4 1 in June or above 500 at this time, and we all know they can and will get better as the season goes.
    They actually showed replay on video board just after Hagglund just missed the ensuing free kick. There was another defender about a yard or two back from where the handball took place.

Anyone else notice Cronin out there? me neither. Joking aside, I didn't even realize he was playing until SJ subbed him out with about 20 minutes to go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Denial of a Goal Scoring Opportunity was not dependent upon last man back?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the gameplay has been covered. For the stands.... I think that was one of the best days of chanting / drumming / vocal support we've had in a long time.

We were good against Columbus, and better today. Props to the capos for making sure to keep 111 involved, and the mid-level capo near the drums who helped keep everyone on pace.

Hell, we even took chants from the back of 112 or the middle of 113 and worked them forward to the capos, who spread them around the section. Amazing work guys!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    the gameplay has been covered. For the stands.... I think that was one of the best days of chanting / drumming / vocal support we've had in a long time.

We were good against Columbus, and better today. Props to the capos for making sure to keep 111 involved, and the mid-level capo near the drums who helped keep everyone on pace.

Hell, we even took chants from the back of 112 or the middle of 113 and worked them forward to the capos, who spread them around the section. Amazing work guys!
    Personally, I was disappointed in the horn and string sections on Saturday. If you can't play together like a finely honed orchestra, what's the point? Whatever is going on with those guys...it's bad. I can use some nice soft words to describe it if that would make everyone feel rosy about themselves but that would be phony. The fact is it's not good at all.

People can insult me for calling it like it is. That's fine. The truth is still being said.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well played.

I'll make sure to scold our cellist. He's okay, but he's no Yo-yo Ma. If he can't be as good as the best, then what's the point? Also the oboes were too fast and didn't even seem to be looking at the clarinets. Get it together guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well played.

I'll make sure to scold our cellist. He's okay, but he's no Yo-yo Ma. If he can't be as good as the best, then what's the point? Also the oboes were too fast and didn't even seem to be looking at the clarinets. Get it together guys!
    Ha ha! Yeah fuck that cellist!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(google image for "sad cellist")

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I thought Denial of a Goal Scoring Opportunity was not dependent upon last man back?
    It depends on a lot of things. From the FIFA interpretation of Law 12:

Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether
    to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
    • the distance between the offence and the goal
    • the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
    • the direction of the play
    • the location and number of defenders
    • the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick

Without the benefit of instant replay, my initial thought was definite red card. All these conditions seemed to be met. Although there was another defender back, I don't recall him being in a position to make a play on the ball. Would love to see a reply to see though because I was sitting up in the boonies for this game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Personally, I was disappointed in the horn and string sections on Saturday. If you can't play together like a finely honed orchestra, what's the point? Whatever is going on with those guys...it's bad. I can use some nice soft words to describe it if that would make everyone feel rosy about themselves but that would be phony. The fact is it's not good at all.

People can insult me for calling it like it is. That's fine. The truth is still being said.
    LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    hat is what I thought also

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

The problem with the string section was that the basses were loaded.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, but also think a mid capo in 133 would be great too! I would be willing to do it later in the season, but still do not have all the chants memorised (first year in ss)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a mid-capo in 113 would be entirely U-Sector's call. It wouldn't be our place to put someone there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope he was gone if that ball got past
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. I don't think it's possible to see it that way on a deliberate handball. We'll have to agree to disagree because the covering defender was not in a position to cover the ball that was played - a dribble, perhaps, but not the over the top ball. The only question is is it an obvious opportunity when it is that far out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great job guys... looked very impressive from 127 to see 111, 112, 113 and what looked like 114 as well all on the same page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    It depends on a lot of things. From the FIFA interpretation of Law 12:

Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether
    to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
    • the distance between the offence and the goal
    • the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
    • the direction of the play
    • the location and number of defenders
    • the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick

Without the benefit of instant replay, my initial thought was definite red card. All these conditions seemed to be met. Although there was another defender back, I don't recall him being in a position to make a play on the ball. Would love to see a reply to see though because I was sitting up in the boonies for this game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    nope he was gone if that ball got past
    Yes, exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    . I don't think it's possible to see it that way on a deliberate handball. We'll have to agree to disagree because the covering defender was not in a position to cover the ball that was played - a dribble, perhaps, but not the over the top ball. The only question is is it an obvious opportunity when it is that far out.
    I think the presence of the covering defender (even if slightly out of position) plus the distance can be accumulated to explain the ref's call.