Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the trade. I also liked Rey. A good dribbler and can hold the ball up, but no finish & can't cross worth a toss. His performance also seemed to have dropped a couple of notches from last year. Hopefully, Oduro doesn't get gassed as quickly as Rey. I hope that Oduro is injury free.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is probably my aspie brain just being insulting and if so I apologize ... but people here do know that in England a "rubber" is a pencil eraser, right?

Growing up in South Western Ontario, we called an eraser a rubber. Only changed when I got to the later years of high school - some guy from the States got all flustered when a girl asked the class, "Anybody got a rubber I can borrow?" When the teacher said he had an extra, I wondered why the guy's eyes started to get really big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! Oduro hasn't been having a great season but I'm totally on board with this trade, maybe not what TFC needs at the moment but either was rey especially being not domestic and all, but a decent addition, hopefully Oduro can play as well as he did last season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched that Oduro video and found his finishing better than I recalled.

I also had to notice the "Sunday jog" Hall was doing during the second goal Oduro scored against us. Must be nice to just trot around out there without a worry in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I watched that Oduro video and found his finishing better than I recalled.

I also had to notice the "Sunday jog" Hall was doing during the second goal Oduro scored against us. Must be nice to just trot around out there without a worry in the world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    And there's his theme song.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn. Does this mean Oduro no longer does commercials for Papa John's pizza?

And I look like a genius for saying Oduro was available couple of weeks ago. Just saying

Looks like a good trade right now, with Rey just not clicking for us and Oduro with decent MLS scoring record. Rey should get a good chance at Columbus who needs more creativity on wing.

And Defoe or Gilberto or whoever partners Oduro up top will get more room because teams will drop deeper to defend against Oduro's pace.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol we have no service for Oduro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crew fans saying he was most productive wide right - where he played last season. This season they have played him up top and he has been ineffective.

Makes a lot of sense considerin that

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Lol we have no service for Oduro.
    not really. Oduro is perfect for counter attack based soccer. Oduro will stretch defences
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we trade a skillful winger who can take on players and creative with energy, for a target man to chase lost causes, well I think that says everything about what kind of soccer we can expect to see under Nelsen. Get ready for two more years at least of hoofball...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably my aspie brain just being insulting and if so I apologize ... but people here do know that in England a "rubber" is a pencil eraser, right?

I like the trade. We had speed on one wing but not the other; now we've got both. Oduro has been a true forward over his career and has played wide, so it should work out.

Rey wasn't producing much, in the end. Too much time on the ball.
    Same here..........but in high-school its redefined.
    Last edited by gate7; 06-06-2014 at 05:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2mil4dero+santo View Post
    When we trade a skillful winger who can take on players and creative with energy, for a target man to chase lost causes, well I think that says everything about what kind of soccer we can expect to see under Nelsen. Get ready for two more years at least of hoofball...
    except Oduro is not a target man. he's more of a poacher with pace. if he can maintain 1 goal in 3 games like he did last year and 3 yrs ago, he'll be a solid pick up

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the flip side how many times have you seen our players NOT run into open space on the counter?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oduro is not a forward anymore

He's a right midfielder, as mentioned by him in reports from Columbus and Caldwell today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the trade but...i wonder why Columbus made it?

Anyone know if he's available tomorrow?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oduro is not a forward anymore

He's a right midfielder, as mentioned by him in reports from Columbus and Caldwell today.
    means nothing. if Nelsen wants Oduro to play top (where he's best at), he'll play striker. Oduro can't dribble consistently, average at best first touch and can't cross

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a go for it now move. Oduro will turn 29.

I don't necessarily agree with getting older but 2 of the DPs they signed are under 4 year deals. Barring a trade of one, the window is pretty much now. If either renews they will be 30 and 34.

Let's see what he can do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    means nothing. if Nelsen wants Oduro to play top (where he's best at), he'll play striker. Oduro can't dribble consistently, average at best first touch and can't cross
    Columbus fans are indicating that he's actually effective at RM or RW, but was wasted as a striker.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rey has been kind of terrible this season.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really. Oduro is perfect for counter attack based soccer. Oduro will stretch defences

I'd bet that any time we're up against slower fullbacks he has him and Jackson swap sides and play on the inside foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd bet that any time we're up against slower fullbacks he has him and Jackson swap sides and play on the inside foot.
    Yup...maybe even more often than that as neither of them are particularly adept at crossing the ball into the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit harsh. His dribbling is mediocre because he relies on a long first touch and then beating guys with pace, like Eddie Johnson when he was young. But I've see him put in the odd decent cross over the years. IT's not his strength, but we'll see him wide, because Nelsen's keen on having all four offensive players with pace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I mean is our linking is trash and Oduro will be lost on an island.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Rey has been kind of terrible this season.
    I would argue that he's played well, but doesn't fit in with our style of play, in that he's a skillful, attack minded player good in possession. The fact that we traded him for an Eddie Johnson type player indicates to me that management doesn't want to play an attacking, attractive type of football. Just my opinion... I'm expecting to watch another season or two (at least) of hoofball. It ain't gonna be pretty...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really Rollins that you?

Oduro's best time in Columbus is when he was playing on the wings not up top like he has been this year.

Rey has nice skill to get the ball and make a move or two but he can't pass, makes bad descisions with the ball, and he can't cross.

Seen alot of that in Montreal on Wednesday. Our stand was pretty much level with Rey's side of the field. Terrible ball movement. And never tracks back.

This is a upgrade. Huge upgrade compared to Rey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has Rey done for us since he has been here.! goal and 1 assist.Oduro`s pace kept us on our heels when we played against him.Rey is not very athletic and has a low work rate.I think he will struggle in this league.Issey was a better option out wide.Oduro will make an impact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was expecting Rey to be traded likely next season, but not this soon. I think he is a highly skilled player but doesn't fit our defensive, counter-attack, long ball system. I don't think he has been in a funk, just doesn't fit the system. Good trade, assuming we didn't have to give up more than his salary.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue that he's played well, but doesn't fit in with our style of play, in that he's a skillful, attack minded player good in possession. ..
    He doesn't pass. He can't shoot. He has little to no awareness of people around him when he has the ball. He can't cross. He doesn't track back (which is necessary in MLS from side midfielders).

I see a guy who is wonderful at getting out of a jam near the touchline, which is a great skill - but he needs more to play at this level.

You can't build an attack with guys like Rey.

No team, none, will adjust their defence for Rey.

They all adjust for Oduro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He doesn't pass. He can't shoot. He has little to no awareness of people around him when he has the ball. He can't cross. He doesn't track back (which is necessary in MLS from side midfielders).

I see a guy who is wonderful at getting out of a jam near the touchline, which is a great skill - but he needs more to play at this level.

You can't build an attack with guys like Rey.

No team, none, will adjust their defence for Rey.

They all adjust for Oduro.
    I agree with you about his defensive capabilities, but come on, he was definitely a skillful attacking player with some awareness and creativity who could take on players. The fact that players with skill and who like to keep the ball on the ground don't fit on this team, says everything you need to know about our managements playing philosophy. I'm not saying its good or bad, just thats what it is. Hoofball players for a hoofball team.