Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    I was expecting Rey to be traded likely next season, but not this soon. I think he is a highly skilled player but doesn't fit our defensive, counter-attack, long ball system. I don't think he has been in a funk, just doesn't fit the system. Good trade, assuming we didn't have to give up more than his salary.
    Probably a bit of Column A and a bit of Column B. I think you're right in that he has a lot of potential to be a good winger in MLS, but he has tailed off a bit and there could be more than a few reasons for it.

At the end of the day, it sounds like most fans from both clubs are happy with the dead, but barring any unforeseen negotiating craziness I think we edged Columbus out just a little bit more.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 06-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Rey was good at was getting enough space to cross the ball in. He always lacked passing ability... or just passing, really. I think the match vs. Montreal really did him in. So many times, he just failed to make obvious passes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2mil4dero+santo View Post
    I agree with you about his defensive capabilities, but come on, he was definitely a skillful attacking player with some awareness and creativity who could take on players. The fact that players with skill and who like to keep the ball on the ground don't fit on this team, says everything you need to know about our managements playing philosophy. I'm not saying its good or bad, just thats what it is. Hoofball players for a hoofball team.
    Please explain, minus the exception that he was good at getting out of jams that he himself created by not running with pace, how he was a skillful attacking player? Everyone complains about the lack of service our forwards get. Who do you think that's partly from? A winger, with skill, who gets one assist in 20 matches? We had loafers like Ricketts who managed more. Taking on players in the middle of the park counts for nothing when that player has nothing to offer in the final third unless it's a defender.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rey played the entire game with "horse racing blinkers" on! Consistently trying to beat 3 or 4 guys one on one with zero awareness of his teammates. The whole league knew exactly what he was going to do on each possession.
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oduro for Rey??????

Warner for Issey?????

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal View Post
    Rey played the entire game with "horse racing blinkers" on! Consistently trying to beat 3 or 4 guys one on one with zero awareness of his teammates. The whole league knew exactly what he was going to do on each possession.
    Spoke to my son about this in youth play.

Basically, if you think that you have a better chance of making it through three or four players instead of passing the ball, you are freaking stupid!

I wasn't that harsh, but that was the jist of the conversation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Please explain, minus the exception that he was good at getting out of jams that he himself created by not running with pace, how he was a skillful attacking player? Everyone complains about the lack of service our forwards get. Who do you think that's partly from? A winger, with skill, who gets one assist in 20 matches? We had loafers like Ricketts who managed more. Taking on players in the middle of the park counts for nothing when that player has nothing to offer in the final third unless it's a defender.
    Agree. One of my favorite sayings is it is what you do with the ball that matters - not how you do it.

Rey had nice footwork an good close control - but did nothing to further the teams attack.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Columbus folks seem to be saying that Rey will help them control the ball and move it around the park. Oduro's game suited a route one style and apparently they are going in a different direction.

They also like the "cap" space and figure the Crew are gearing up for a summer signing of another forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always about the cap
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen said it himself...."Rey GAVE the ball away FAT TOO OFTEN to be a benefit to the team going forward"....EXCELLENT trade imo...