Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally back from Montreal. Fun time had by all.

Guys in the stand really gave it this game. Terrible result but knowing each guy on that pitch gave it there all is good enough for me. Congrats to Montreal, enjoy the fixture congestment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    There is nothing wrong with criticism of our team here. This is a discussion forum after all. What I don't enjoy though, is seeing individuals who disappear from here when we are victorious or show some positive signs and give no credit when it is due.....but are very quick to be all over the team when we lose, but I guess that's life
    +1...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I don't believe we should accept that, though. Or at least I don't think it should be the attitude we and the club should ever adopt.

Toronto FC could win the MLS. We could take the Supporters Shield. We could even win every match in the regular season. But even if we were to accomplish all of those goals, the fact remains that none of them opens up higher levels of competition for us (ie: Concacaf Champions League and the Club World Cup).

The league is important in that it's our bread and butter. We get it. It makes sense. But the Canadian Championship is nothing we should ever take lightly for a number of reasons. Even if you forget about what I posted above about the avenue to higher competition, we're also playing to determine the best pro soccer team in the country. Shouldn't it be a source of pride to say our club has accomplished that four years in a row?

And conversely, when we lose these matches like we did tonight, I don't believe we should shrug them off or justify the bad performance (not suggesting you are, Thomas). I'm kinda pissed that we couldn't get the win against Montreal. Montreal! Are we all aware how incredibly shit the Impact have been this year? They've got four, maybe five useful players on their whole fucking squad!
    well said ....must be my age I can't imagine any old time coach willing to lose any game....esp in the past when it wasn't about $$$ but simply skill and pride , as a fan thats why I watch sports.......not as an accountant , futurist , apologist , but for some heart. The so called beauty of sports should simply be win or lose . Save excuses , bureaucratic hyperbole for the real world and elections . The beauty and attraction of sports should be the opposite of the shit we are subjected to everyday in all it's forms .
    Did anyone see Eugenie Bouchard today , there's a winner , not happy at all she lost , no smiles to her old hero Sharapova .That girls won't be happy until she beats her ass next time . Refreshing . AND Canadian ! Thats what I expect in every game Mr . Nelson . We'll worry about the next game Tomorrow ! We still need an attitude change !
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I was going to take a soft stance on the loss, I think Nelsen deserves much of the blame, we should have been seraching for the goal from minute one.

The MLS is not our league, it is a Yankee league. So the only competition that is Canadian is the cup, and right now for two years in the row it has been won by Montreal. They are the best team in Canada.

I like beating Yankee teams, but winning our own cup, for me is a basic, and playing the CL is a must. We have failed at that two years in a row.

Now I still like what I see, and we are going in a right direction, but as a proud Canadian losing yesterday was big.

THIS IS NOT A NORTH AMERICAN SPORT, this is a world sport. Playing international football is a mark of a good team, and for 7 years that is all we had, and now we do not even have that. I hate the MLS, love TFC, support all Canadian teams outside of Canada, and put up with the fucking Yankee league only because I get to see us beating Yankee teams. Love Michael Bradley, and have nothing but love for the USA as a country, but we are Canada and in Canada we speak CANADIAN.
    f%&K ya ! This is the only attitude we can have or we are beaten from the start . To much BS and excuses in the TO sports scene . Just because we seem to be the longest suffering fans doesn't mean we should accept mediocrity . When we finally do win something it won't be from playing soft here or managing games here . There will only be a sense of attitude that the opposing team will be in for a fight whenever playing us .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    well said ....must be my age I can't imagine any old time coach willing to lose any game....esp in the past when it wasn't about $$$ but simply skill and pride , as a fan thats why I watch sports.......not as an accountant , futurist , apologist , but for some heart. The so called beauty of sports should simply be win or lose . Save excuses , bureaucratic hyperbole for the real world and elections . The beauty and attraction of sports should be the opposite of the shit we are subjected to everyday in all it's forms .
    Did anyone see Eugenie Bouchard today , there's a winner , not happy at all she lost , no smiles to her old hero Sharapova .That girls won't be happy until she beats her ass next time . Refreshing . AND Canadian ! Thats what I expect in every game Mr . Nelson . We'll worry about the next game Tomorrow ! We still need an attitude change !
    I approve of this. And Bouchard is a legit phenom! Love seeing her and Raonic compete with the world's best, and I'm not even a big tennis guy.

But it's funny when we talk about attitudes. I mean, when I was watching these Can-Champ games at work and talking to my co-workers about the tournament, almost all of them agree that winning and moving on to the CCL is a much more important goal for TFC. Most of them are relatively casual fans, but the perception is pretty much like what I posted previously - being the Canadian Champion means something to them, and having the ability to go on and play some of the best club in our confederacy is an opportunity to represent our country as an up-and-coming soccer power.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally am more interested in MLS success for TFC right now, than I am seeing us simply make the CCL and maybe make it out of the group stage. That said, the Canadian Championship should be something we honestly try to win every year - not something we treat as unimportant. It's especially embarrassing to lose it to Montreal, who have been abysmal this season.

I suspect the TFC brass see getting the MLS post-season weight off their shoulders as their #1 goal right now, however. Making the playoffs doesn't come with a trophy, but it does change the perception of the team as a hopeless joke. If you're concerned with long-term franchise viability, changing that perception is probably a priority.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team will always have to squad rotate during cups; the problem with Toronto is that there is not enough squad depth. The Cup vs. League debate isn't one: the fans and media have clearly spoken that league success is more important for the time being, so it seems pointless to me that the old tilting-at-windmills arguments keep on getting re-hashed here. With a bigger cap and a big draft haul next year TFC should have real competition for spots all over the park, then they can move beyond having to choose which competition to take seriously. I would be mildly shocked if any midfielders on the current squad beyond Bradley and Osorio see any time on next year's squad, if they are even on it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Squad rotation is to be expected, especially when you have key veteran players. Tim says we have depth...

However, non chalant dismissal of the importance of winning... to me... sends the wrong message. Particularly for a team that outside of Winter in 2011-12, has never accomplished anything in any competition.

BTW, in the 2nd leg, I don't believe they did take it lightly. They effectively threw everything they had at Montreal and couldn't get it done.

Sure would have been nice to hear the truth. We tried but came up short. To effectively say we didn't care is an insult to players that had standout games like Henry. He was pounding his fist at the loss. He cared. Back him up.

I don't get this organization but then again I am not aiming for the 48% percentile as the pinnacle of achievement.

I wonder if they will raise a banner if they make it?

2014 MLS Playoff
    Participant
    Last edited by Pookie; 06-06-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    My greatest memories as a TFC supporter are of our CCL run under Aaron Winter, but I have to agree with you. Look no further than Vancouver and Carl Robinson's decision to play his Academy team in the opening series to further illustrate that reality.

Despite how many of us feel about the competition, the truth is that the Champions League is far less prestigious in North America than it is in Europe. In North America, the league results are absolutely the priority for all domestic clubs.
    I must agree with this post. Let's be honest - the CCL isn't half as "prestigious" as some claim it to be. Playing away in El Salvador or Panama in some crapola stadium where a herd of goats act as the groundskeeper isn't "prestigious" (although it may certainly be "exotic"). Barcelona playing Bayern Munich in the Nou Camp IS prestigious. In my mind, the only prestige in the CCL comes if we make it far enough to play the likes of the big Mexican clubs - clubs that are a true measuring stick for where we aim to be in this confederation.
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 06-06-2014 at 06:31 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If we did squeek into the playoffs and won it all - I guarantee you people will be on this message board complaining that TFC are shit and only won because they got lucky for a couple games.
    Haha, so true.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't disagree with anything you said there about prestige.

However, a culture of winning is more than the degree of polish on the trophy.

Man City might rotate its roster during the earlier rounds of the FA Cup. But if they get knocked out early they would likely be pissed off.

They don't expect to lose and when they lose they do something about it.

TFC management is ok with losing the Canadian Championship to "rivals" Montreal because it isn't prestigious?

If that is true Take the f@cking Canadian Championship banners down then. Refund fans their money or better yet make the next non-prestigious CCL game an open practice with free admission with a non perishable food item.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Man City might rotate its roster during the earlier rounds of the FA Cup. But if they get knocked out early they would likely be pissed off.

TFC management is ok with losing the Canadian Championship to "rivals" Montreal because it isn't prestigious?

If that is true Take the f@cking Canadian Championship banners down then. Refund fans their money or better yet make the next non-prestigious CCL game an open practice with free admission with a non perishable food item.
    There's banners? where?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

There are a lot of EPL teams who would be just fine not qualifying for the Europa League. That's the comparison in my view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    There are a lot of EPL teams who would be just fine not qualifying for the Europa League. That's the comparison in my view.
    Agreed. Just goes to show how things shift when you talk in specifics rather than generalities.

Generally, the international comps generate more excitement, but not this one, and for good reason. And it's not like the club World Cup is taken all that seriously these days either.

I'm not going to live by the idea it's a competition that's more important, especially when our history shows it's less competitive than the league. When that changes, I'll adjust my view. But in the meantime...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    There's banners? where?
    They put up the banners during the Cup games only. There not permanently up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As ever, I've been avoiding everything football, awhile, since we lost this match.. save for the odd peek, here or there, in case anything epic was happening. Usually, that helps me maintain a sense of context. A shame that we came within a whisker of winning it, but, I would have to agree that there are some serious question marks hanging over much of our depth, this season, and that's not speaking of our terrible luck with injuries.

The silver lining for me is that, for a side with up to five games in hand on some teams, and four games in hand on most, what will already be a congested second half of the season won't be further strained.. which could have potentially seen us surrender any success, whatsoever.

More importantly, in 2015, The Voyager's Cup will be awarded to this season's highest placed side, and I, for one, would much rather win it next season, with making the playoffs rightly taking on a bit more importance, this campaign, to finally show the elephant in the room the door. Someone mentioned Man City's first year, after spending big, which seems fitting; good we've got quality in, but, it's now about establishing an improved core over last year's (given all the new starters we have), with fewer necessary changes to come, next year. Couple that with the likes of Laba returning (fingers crossed; else, some other major addition resulting from that arrangement), along with the two transfer windows and, hopefully, a normal pre-season, and we should be a much more dominant team, well prepared for the extra games CCL will bring.

I can see how some would view it as a loser's mentality, but, others might see this as learning to walk (a bit better than avg.), before you can fly (winning everything); next year, our goals, as a team, must, understandably, be raised.. but, baby steps, for now -- don't let the hype get to you (*cough*TFCDP*cough).