Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Hold on a sec....

LOLOLOL!

Ok, now that's it.
    This guy's alright. heh

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Actually, to my knowledge, I am, proudly, the only person who has ever posted this. I said it the day he was signed, and today.

Bradley belongs in a big US market and we would get more bang for the buck from another Defoe type signing. If you don't see that, to each his own.

This is not an inferiority complex thing. My theory is Bradley came to Toronto because he was in motion, MLS wanted him in the fold, NYCFC wanted him, it gave Leiweke a huge splash, and they all agreed to figure out the NYCFC part at the end of 2014. I am not sure TFC would be 100% obligated, and a lot turns on what Bradley would want.

Only the paranoid survive. Especially around here!
    Disagree (see mowe's last post).. but, I always do appreciate your playing devil's advocate, and admire the way you (more often than not) laugh off criticisms; helps encourage a more positive exchange, which is always refreshing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's this thing that MLS teams can't buy players from each other with transfer fees. only allocation money, draft picks and other considerations

not saying MLS FO will amend the rules for NYCFC, but that's the way it is right now
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    For the record, Bradley acknowledged that he had a comparable offer from SKC in the off season, and he chose Toronto. If MLS wanted him in an American market, it could have happened already, but invariably, the league can't force players to sign with specific clubs. It's still ultimately the player's decision.

I don't think Bradley is going anywhere, and we're extremely fortunate to have him.

This plays into Ensco's theory - maybe SKC refused to make the handshake deal... It's hard to imagine Bradley buried in Canada for six years while MLS tries to get established in NYC.

It's not even a matter of wanting to be in NYC, it's a matter of needing to be. If MLS can't be a big deal in New York then the league has likely hit a plateau.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's quite conceivable that a big-name international player will draw just as well in NYC as Bradley. I don't think having him play in Canada will have much effect on the success of that team. Villa is a great signing, as is Lampard, but they will probably aim even higher in the future. They'll wave around their petro-dollars and bring in a huge name. Probably the biggest name to hit MLS since Beckham (who is still the only global-level superstar we've had - although Henry is a close second).

The World Cup being in our time zone this summer means some big names will be exposed to North American audiences, which means more name exposure for players who perform. I'm sure there will be some huge offers on the table.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS doesn't need Bradley in an American town. Playing against American teams each week is enough.

Now, a Ronaldo or Messi? They have to be either with the Galaxy or the nuckfuks. And those are the only two players in the world that would make US based Euro snobs go, "Wow!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are several good posts above that are missing the thrust of my point.

My point is that Leiweke was and is motivated to see this as a 2014 booster shot only because he isn't really getting full value for his $40M in Bradley in Toronto, whereas the right US team would.

In NY, Bradley and Defoe are an equal draw (I'm talking about driving revenues, not what real soccer fans would say, the majority here, including me, would pick Bradley 10x out of 10). In Toronto they are not.

If Bradley wants to stay, he stays.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-04-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There are several good posts above that are missing the thrust of my point.

My point is that Leiweke was and is motivated to see this as a 2014 booster shot only because he isn't really getting full value for his $40M in Bradley in Toronto, whereas the right US team would.

In NY, Bradley and Defoe are an equal draw (I'm talking about driving revenues, not what real soccer fans would say, the majority here, including me, would pick Bradley 10x out of 10). In Toronto they are not.

If Bradley wants to stay, he stays.
    I get your point, I just don't think that NYCFC would maximize Bradley's value, either. The US supporters who love the sport are your low-hanging fruit. My theory is that they'd get more mileage out of a world-level name than they would from Bradley. And if it isn't NYC, I don't know why Bradley moves to another MLS club.

While Tim L isn't getting max value out of Bradley, he has locked up the core player of the team for half a dozen years. That's plenty of time to build around him, win a couple of cups and sail off into the sunset. And Bradley can also go south once he's cemented his legend status (or proven to be yet another MLSE failure). It's still good business for Tim L to have him here, though I agree it isn't maximizing his marketing value.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Where has this been "hinted"? Only time I've seen it mentioned is by paranoid fans on this board. Michael Bradley is NOT going to NYCFC. There is no handshake agreement in place, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

The league can't force TFC to give up their best player. You think Leiweke and Nelson are just going to sit back and give away the guy who they're building their team around the next 6 years? Whatever transfer fee we get is not going buy a player of Bradley's calibre at 26 years old.

Did anyone ever stop to think that the league WOULDN'T want Bradley in New York? They want parity and stars in every market. Believe it or not Toronto is also an important market for the league. MLS doesn't need to help the richest club in the league, they are going to be fine. NYCFC will probably sign Xavi or someone, they don't need Bradley.

This all stems from Toronto's inferiority complex. We couldn't believe Michael Bradley would ever want to come here so when he signed there HAD to be something behind the scenes that would explain it. Except maybe Bradley is telling the truth that he wants to build something special in Toronto. Sure we're paying him a shit load of money but most people don't even consider the possibility that he WANTS to be in Toronto.

Michael Bradley will never play for NYCFC. They can find another star that doesn't already play for an MLS team. In fact I am willing to put money on it. Up to $200, anyone on this board.
    I agree with you in that I don't really believe, at the end of the day, Bradley will leave us for NYCFC. He's spent enough of his career abroad, I believe that's actually what he wants (to live and play abroad). But the paranoia remains. You just KNOW that's what MLS wants. (Personally, I think NYCFC will have enough star power, they won't need Bradley). It would be just this franchise's luck for the fans to embrace Bradley, only for him to leave in 2016 or so. He seems to be a straight-up guy, and I believe him - that he wants to be a part of a winning team here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    This plays into Ensco's theory - maybe SKC refused to make the handshake deal... It's hard to imagine Bradley buried in Canada for six years while MLS tries to get established in NYC.

It's not even a matter of wanting to be in NYC, it's a matter of needing to be. If MLS can't be a big deal in New York then the league has likely hit a plateau.
    MLS doesn't need Bradley in NYC to establish that market. The organization has signed Villa and Lampard as their first two player acquisitions.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 06-05-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melbourne City FC@MelbourneCity 27m
    ANNOUNCEMENT | David Villa will join the Club for a period of the 2014-15 season > http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-Confirms-David-Villa/90758 … pic.twitter.com/LSIvaG06ml

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-Confirms-David-Villa/90758

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one player that will light up this league and be the face that it needs to attract the attention of the NFL american, and burn down hotels after a big match.

THIS MAN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^They had an even better one. His name was David Beckham. I think alot of people forget that he singlehandedly put MLS on the map just by his 'fame' alone. The likes of Lampard, Henry and Defoe would never have come if it wasn't for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    ^They had an even better one. His name was David Beckham. I think alot of people forget that he singlehandedly put MLS on the map just by his 'fame' alone. The likes of Lampard, Henry and Defoe would never have come if it wasn't for him.
    agreed, he did great things for this league but Beckham was never going to convert other sports fan's

Americans are about the highlight reels, touchdown dances and slam dunk showmanship.

With beckham gone, MLS needs a new hype machine. Bradley and Dempsey isn't it yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yeah, u mean a guy that's always on the highlight reel and Ibra is that player. Coincidentally i ran into this article today. Looks like he might be here in 2016 (he will be 35 by then though).

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4188/...e?ICID=HP_BN_9