Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would certainly say that was the best finish to a game I have ever seen at BMO (have we ever won a game down a goal after 80 minutes before?) ... but I think we have hold a legit spot for constructive criticism postgame, which is ... Columbus were complete dreck in this game, absolutely terrible, and were clearly outplaying us until Gilberto came in. We were as putrid as can be in the first 65 minutes, and there was going to be a riot on here calling for Nelsen's head if it had finished like that, or even 2-2, Defoe bailing us out to tie would not have really left anyone feeling great the morning after.

If we can play 90 minutes like we played those 25 minutes, and really dominate someone wire to wire, that would say something to me.

That Henry goal was potentially the key moment in the season, and may have saved Nelsen's job.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-01-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I would certainly say that was the best finish to a game I have ever seen at BMO (have we ever won a game down a goal after 80 minutes before?) ... but I think we have hold a legit spot for constructive criticism postgame, which is ... Columbus were complete dreck in this game, absolutely terrible, and were clearly outplaying us until Gilberto came in. We were as putrid as can be in the first 65 minutes, and there was going to be a riot on here calling for Nelsen's head if it had finished like that, or even 2-2.

If we can play 90 minutes like we played those 25 minutes, and really dominate someone wire to wire, that would say something to me.

That Henry goal may have saved Nelsen's job.
    do you not remember Weedman's goal in the monsoon last year also vs Columbus?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    do you not remember Weedman's goal in the monsoon last year also vs Columbus?
    Forgot that we tied that one late too. I only remembered the winner.

That game, it was a meaningless game for a meaningless team, I have kind of discounted most everything that happened in 2011-13 ex the CCL run. We never once played a league game that mattered as much as yesterday's did.

Not that I didn't jump off my couch in shock when the Weedman scored.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    And is it just me or did the place look pretty fucking empty in the first half and much more full in the second half?
    few ppl that came around me in the first half had come from the Jays game

guys right behind me in the first half showed up at 25 minute mark and then moaned about not getting to see Bitchy the Hawk and felt that TFC should do something so they can see Bitchy...welcome to the Toronto FC supporters section

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    Said it before, and I'll say it again: it's not that we don't dig the critique, we just don't dig how it's expressed. Telling people to get their shit together isnt the best way to go about making your point, neither is calling their drumming garbage. If you're willing to take over for them, by all means, say whatever you want. If not, all we ask is that you keep it respectful.

On that note, only one person was on the bass drum this match, as always. I had no problem with the salsa stuff filling the silence, or if done correctly during chants, there's only so much single beats in 4s we can hear. We aren't rowing a Viking ship so I guess it just boils down to preference.
    We're not children here. I'm not trying to be sensitive because it's getting annoying.

Whatever is going on with those guys (you?), one drum, multiple drums...whatever, it's bad. I can use some nice soft words to describe it if that would make everyone feel rosy about themselves but that would be phony. The fact is it's not good at all.

Of course we're not on a viking ship, but they (you?) can't handle doing anything else and stay in rhythm. All the drums are there for is to help punctuate the beats...it isn't a drum show. Nobody needs to hear crappy drumming (so sorry) to "fill in the silence". There isn't much silence to begin with and why? Why do you need to hear some stupid beat just because people aren't chanting something. Talk about needing a crutch.

My preference is that the guys who are supposed to be helping keep a beat don't ruin chants because they can't keep a beat. Crazy, I know.

Anyone who says the drums sounded great are saying so out of support for their friends. It was obviously out of sync over and over and over again. Only when people pounded the beat into the aluminum stands with their feat (overwhelming the drum sound) did any cohesive chanting get going.
    Last edited by Tony Santiago; 06-01-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Drums. Coordination. Singing.

Are we auditioning for Canada's Got Talent?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Actually, I thought the drumming was amazing.

I also thought that Pete totally brought it and wowza half way up rocked the house.

Looking up, people were almost all singing behind me.

I thought that was one of the best games in the past few years for support.

Kudos to all.

And Tony, even if you thought things were not up to snuff, don't be a such dick about it, you may actually have people listen to you.
    The truth is what matters. If people can't accept the truth because their feelings get hurt...well, that's unfortunate but more of a statement about them than me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ any other volunteers you'd like to criticize? The guys at the hospital that show you were to go? The folks that help charity events run smoothly? Conveners of kids' sports leagues?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Drums. Coordination. Singing.

Are we auditioning for Canada's Got Talent?
    I'm sure not. I actually like soccer...I'm not putting on a performance.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ any other volunteers you'd like to criticize? The guys at the hospital that show you were to go? The folks that help charity events run smoothly? Conveners of kids' sports leagues?
    It's not a kindergarten class where we get participation ribbons. They were bad and it should be said so. I didn't ask for guys to screw up chants all game long, so if that's a volunteer job...no thanks.

I know you all are buddies and heaven forbid someone has their feelings hurt, but they were obviously off. It's annoying and unnecessary. Your defending it and trying to be sarcastic is part of the problem. Nothing will get better if you all accept mediocrity because you are afraid to offend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Haha....a nice win to silence the naysayers.....and there are a lot of them on this board. Would rather pick the team/organization apart than support them. A good day indeed for the true supporters.

I have been very positive this year, so I do not take it personally, but this line of "if you criticize the club your not a true supporter" is bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santiago View Post
    The truth is what matters. If people can't accept the truth because their feelings get hurt...well, that's unfortunate but more of a statement about them than me.
    For the first time in a long time, I sat close to the drums, and they were good. Perhaps the multiple "exotic" rhythms, that Parky, Jack and company put down were just to sophisticated for you ear. I am not sure were you sit, but there is an issue with sound traveling it echoes and distorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a lot respect for the people in bunker,it adds to the game day experience,but it has been off a bit this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man this guy is an asshole loool @tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps but I would be cautious on the talent assessment. They finished strong against Columbus. A team that was 1-4-4 heading into the game.

Leading up to this game, TFC wasn't exacting winning over oddsmakers with their play either. That they got points in the last few games is either because of Nelsen or in spite of.

If it is because of, taking the shackles off so to speak as a function of a win against the slumping Crew could be very risky.
    If I was to reference a couple of games this season to illustrate my point, I would refer to the first win in Columbus earlier in the season and the recent win against New York. Those two games stand out to me as the most complete games we've played thus far, and should serve as our benchmark for consistency. Otherwise, we have been outplayed in most of our games this season despite our PPG average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it means you're an insensitive, juvenile dick. Ignore button people. This type of shit is what it's for.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I just watched this on tv and drums sounded off time and drowned our any kind of atmosphere that the crowd was creating. Not trying to offend, just giving feedback.
    I just finished watching the match on TV and I didn't really notice that, but I'll probably watch it again, so I'll try to listen for that.
    Thanks for the feedback, Tony. We'll try to do better next time. Maybe you can come over to 112 next week and show us what type of rhythms you would like to hear. From where we were, in the heart of the Bunker, our drumming was in time with the chanting originating there. And Marcel was consistent in playing a simple bass beat on the big drum, so I guess the "salsa drumming" was me. It's a smaller drum that is more high-pitched, so I'm not sure how you confused it with the big drum, but that's cool. I'll work on doing better next game and keeping things cleaner so you don't get confused.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    For the first time in a long time, I sat close to the drums, and they were good. Perhaps the multiple "exotic" rhythms, that Parky, Jack and company put down were just to sophisticated for you ear. I am not sure were you sit, but there is an issue with sound traveling it echoes and distorts.
    There is nothing exotic about it. It's laughable to say that. It's a failed attempt at something exotic.

I'm not sure if some of you just feel like sticking up for your friends or what, but to anyone with any ability to observe could see the two capos looking at each other at times...often the guy in 113 seemed a bit bewildered at why it was always off. I would only be looking over at times because when the chant would suddenly go to hell, and sound like it was being sung through a fan or from under water the drums always seemed to be the source of confusion.

The problem is that you shouldn't decide from one game to the next, or even at different points during the game to change the tempo of chants. They're established. Consistency is the best thing. It's unfortunate that the guys on the drums get bored, but their entertainment shouldn't be what it's all about.

There were long stretches when people gave up on even trying to get it together with 112/113. It was a lost cause, magnified by 112/113's inability to act as a cohesive unit. It was obvious to anyone who has any power of observation that it was the pounding of feat on the bleachers that eventually got the corner acting as a unit.

People can insult me for calling it like it is. That's fine. The truth is still being said. Once again, if cohesion is the true aim then the more elaborate attempts and poor execution are only ruining that. That's reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hats off to the drummer(s) and all the folks in the bunker. I don't know any of them personally, but the noise and enthusiasm coming out of that section was truly remarkable.....this helped to create a fantastic experience. Great show!

It's not a kindergarten class where we get participation ribbons. They were bad and it should be said so. I didn't ask for guys to screw up chants all game long, so if that's a volunteer job...no thanks.

I know you all are buddies and heaven forbid someone has their feelings hurt, but they were obviously off. It's annoying and unnecessary. Your defending it and trying to be sarcastic is part of the problem. Nothing will get better if you all accept mediocrity because you are afraid to offend.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I just finished watching the match on TV and I didn't really notice that, but I'll probably watch it again, so I'll try to listen for that.

Thanks for the feedback, Tony. We'll try to do better next time. Maybe you can come over to 112 next week and show us what type of rhythms you would like to hear. From where we were, in the heart of the Bunker, our drumming was in time with the chanting originating there. And Marcel was consistent in playing a simple bass beat on the big drum, so I guess the "salsa drumming" was me. It's a smaller drum that is more high-pitched, so I'm not sure how you confused it with the big drum, but that's cool. I'll work on doing better next game and keeping things cleaner so you don't get confused.
    I've been clear. I don't want your freestyling, 3 man drum effort. Just reinforce the simple beat. It's not hard.

How did I confuse it with the big drum? The big drum is laying down and there are two guys swinging away, so, there you have it. I did see that little drum too, but again, it was just a mess off off beat noise at times, so....

If you want to pretend like what you guys do is infallible then have fun. The reality is that you are disruptive at times and clearly are learning on the fly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not children here.
    Yeah, only children are polite and respectful when giving constructive feedback. Adults take great pains to be confrontational, abrasive, insulting jerks.

I say take Jack up on his offer, and go show them how you'd like it done. And make sure you talk to everyone around you in 112, the way you talk to them here.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding tactics, maybe this is hindsight being 20/20 and all, but am I the only person that understood what Nelsen was doing with this substitutions? We were chasing a win midway through the second half so it makes sense to bring in your attacking options off the bench. Sure pushing Moore out wide isn't idea, but only because Orr was injured and had to be subbed off in the first half. It gamble paid off and I'm much more worried about missing the playoffs on points than I am on goal differential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thunder from the Bunker

I was in 110 and fealt the drums sounded great. Added to the best gameday experience I have had in a long time. I rarely post on here but thought thanks was owing. I liked hearing some chants and rythms I was not familiar with. For the first time in a while I need to head over to the chants board to learn something new. It was a good evolution. Well done bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hats off to the drummer(s) and all the folks in the bunker. I don't know any of them personally, but the noise and enthusiasm coming out of that section was truly remarkable.....this helped to create a fantastic experience. Great show!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've been clear. I don't want your freestyling, 3 man drum effort. Just reinforce the simple beat. It's not hard.

How did I confuse it with the big drum? The big drum is laying down and there are two guys swinging away, so, there you have it. I did see that little drum too, but again, it was just a mess off off beat noise at times, so....

If you want to pretend like what you guys do is infallible then have fun. The reality is that you are disruptive at times and clearly are learning on the fly.
    We aren't infallible, which is why I think it's good to get feedback, both negative and positive. Your delivery, however, makes you come across as a rude asshole, which I'm sure isn't your intention.

You have offered your opinion on the drumming, which is what it was. Not "the truth" nor some great insight, just one person's opinion. I do appreciate you taking the time to share and will consider all the opinions offered about our drumming. I don't think we will ever see eye to eye on the role of drums in support. I think they can bring atmosphere when there is not a song or chant on. Far from being a "crutch" I like the sound of drumming in stadiums. Hell, I'd bring a whole samba troop in if I could. But I will take your point that it doesn't have to be on all the chants and it's good to keep it simple. As far as being off rhythm, I was right beside Marcel on the big drum and we were on the same beat. Maybe the way the sound carried to you caused that.

And the the offer still stands. Come on over next Saturday and I'll pass my drumsticks over to you for a session. You can show me what you want to hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game and win! Glad Nelson subbed earlier in this game, maybe could have had DeRo and Gilberto in earlier - they brought the spark for "Flame on!" and the win!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took in the match from a suite in the north west corner for the first time. Both RPB & U-Sector looked and sounded fantastic from my vantage point, especially from the 80th

I will never understand those who criticize the many who are putting in their best to enhance the gameday experience. It would be much more effective to reach out to the leaders via PM with concerns rather than call them out in a forum

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And on the subject of the match, what a goal by Defoe! I've watched it more than a few times and it's still awesome. Left foot and everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And on the subject of the match, what a goal by Defoe! I've watched it more than a few times and it's still awesome. Left foot and everything.
    Class of the league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Ignore button people. This type of shit is what it's for.
    Thanks for the tip, I've actually never used it before now.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The header by Gilberto to set it up and the "flick" to DeRo were pretty as well.

Is now the time and place to bring up Defoe's dive in the box or is that reserved for the "we ALWAYS get screwed by the Ref" thread?