Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The City won't create a stadium in the portlands. Downsview is the only Toronto option.

I would suggest a more likely site would be somewhere along the 407 or the 403.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The City won't create a stadium in the portlands. Downsview is the only Toronto option.

I would suggest a more likely site would be somewhere along the 407 or the 403.
    Ontario Place.

That is a billion dollar asset they can't figure out what to do with.

But Tim Leiweke, Drake, and Bon Jovi know what to do with it.

I expect there would also be some massive convention center story as part of this, there always is. The next orlando or Las Vegas, yadda yadda yadda.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-27-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The market will speak. Bell will step in, they have to in the end. Best guess: Bell and the league will keep the bleachers in at York, maybe add to it a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_...letics_Stadium

Agreed,

more than likely they will move up to the Pan Am stadium as it is cheaper afterwards with the stand being converted to permanent ones and the public transportation will be inserted as well
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Agreed,

more than likely they will move up to the Pan Am stadium as it is cheaper afterwards with the stand being converted to permanent ones and the public transportation will be inserted as well
    The BMO rebuild, for the Argos or anyone else, my God, we all missed it. It was never happening. He's not interested in that rinky-dink meccano set.

It was just a way to get everybody excited about solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Leiweke has got the city and province ready to spend money, did anyone think that was possible a year ago?! Now it's time to work the crack until the vault door busts loose!

We haven't been able to keep up, we're not thinking big enough. If I'm right, the "shock and awe" part of this is imminent.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-27-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario Place.

I expect there would also be some massive convention center story as part of this, there always is. The next orlando or Las Vegas, yadda yadda yadda.
    Ontario place is owned by provincial government who plan on building an urban park. Plans already have been in place and I believe it will be done sometime next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario Place.

They will build a Crystal meth factory, with distribution right going to MLSE and the Teacher's Pension Plan!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Ontario place is owned by provincial government who plan on building an urban park. Plans already have been in place and I believe it will be done sometime next year.
    Well, if putting condos in there is a campaign issue, it can't be settled yet.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspa...rio_place.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see other parties being open to building condos there. So I am not sure why this is consider an issue unless Wynne is trying to win some votes with locals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fan-effing-tastic news! Let's hope it sticks and the Argos find elsewhere to trample.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not build a massive 100 story that is 3 blocks long and put a stadium on the 101st floor!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    why not build a massive 100 story that is 3 blocks long and put a stadium on the 101st floor!

Inspiration?
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Corporate welfare seekers often threaten to take their toys and go home if they don't get what they want.

I'd like to think this is the end of it but skeptical that it is simply a phase.
    Last edited by Pookie; 05-27-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    There are a dozen futsal pitches on rooftops in Tokyo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I don't see other parties being open to building condos there. So I am not sure why this is consider an issue unless Wynne is trying to win some votes with locals?
    Or win votes outside the city - why should the province spend money on a park for Toronto when they could develop the land and make a lot of money? There are always votes to be won by appearing to take something away from Toronto that it wants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also they use nets on the sides and on the top of the field, got a ton of em in Korea too. Really miss having those about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    Motive is Bell seeing an immediate partial refund on their TV Rights deal, which they currently pay somewhere in between $30-40 million per season. That means millions back into their pocket that was already gone.

Motive is having negotiating a new stadium rights deal in 2016 with the Argos on board. Either that or you slap the Bell or Rogers logo on the stadium and now have a tenant you own who brings in 2x-4x the amount of ratings.

Argos would sell out BMO field for every single CFL game. Montreal had their problems in Olympic Stadium too until they moved.
    One thing to remember is that SkyDome was purpose built for the Argos. 600+ million dollars for that stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds a lot like political posturing going around, so I'll wait for the official response about the renovations before I either cheer or despair about the Argos moving to BMO Field.

But I gotta say, It seems the big hope for keeping BMO Field gridiorn free is for Tim Hudak and the Conservatives to win the provincial election next month.

Lovely.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    One thing to remember is that SkyDome was purpose built for the Argos.
    Ummm ... is this sarcasm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sportsnet and The Star are both reporting that the Argos-to-BMO option is not dead at all. Basically stalled or postponed.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...mlse_says.html

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...nto-bmo-field/

Daniel Dale's Star article basically makes it seem like the Argos reno will happen, just not when we thought it would.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Sportsnet and The Star are both reporting that the Argos-to-BMO option is not dead at all. Basically stalled or postponed.

Daniel Dale's Star article basically makes it seem like the Argos reno will happen, just not when we thought it would.
    It's never dead when corporations are looking for public money. One thing is for sure, when whatever level of current gov't says no to your request just wait. There will always be another election and possibly new people to negotiate with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This scenario doesn't work. Even if you buy the Edward Rogers part (I don't), I think the odds of George Cope going along with this are about a quadrillion to one. Bell's motive would be to stop this, not to facilitate it. It would have to happen around MLSE.

Leiweke's game has never been about the Argos, or $10M. He is after 50x that. This whole thing is a mirage designed to mask that.

I think Leiweke thinks this is something MLSE can do, and that the NFL would look away re the ownership problem. not much else would make sense.

Whether MLSE is really there for this NFL dream is strictly a function of how many hundreds of millions Leiweke can pry out of the various governments.

Coming up next: get ready to meet the World Cup 2026 Toronto bid team, folks.
    I thought this whole thing was to enable the Leafs to play multiple outdoor games a season?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post

The longer a re-fit to accommodate the Argos is put off, the better it is for TFC and the less likely the Argos will move in. Time goes by, other options emerge, the costs go up, the money gets a little harder to come by.

It's not any one big circumstance that kills it. It just gets nibbled to death by ducks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    I thought this whole thing was to enable the Leafs to play multiple outdoor games a season?
    That's still true. I'm beginning to think that's only a small part of it.

He is playing a hand where only he sees the cards. The leak to Kelly was very deliberate, as were the denials later in the day. Feels to me like he's trying to spike the BMO deal without being seen as the guy who actually did it.

I've felt all along that we couldn't really get a bead on the guy. Today, for the first time, I have an inkling.

Face it, the BMO reno is a kludgy nothing in the scheme of things. If you look at who Leiweke is, he builds megavenues. That's what he's done. He doesn't run sports teams. LA Live, London O2, the KC arena and surroundings, that's his resume.

Is he actually trying to put together one of the biggest real estate deals in the world? Soccer, NFL Football, outdoor hockey, concerts, hotels, other stuff ... World Cup 2026 ... all on the waterfront ....

LA Live on super steroids.

Of course, this could just be my imagination! I get accused of that regularly!
    Last edited by ensco; 05-27-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see anything wrong with that...if he can do it more power to him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's still true. I'm beginning to think that's only a small part of it.

He is playing a hand where only he sees the cards. The leak to Kelly was very deliberate, as were the denials later in the day. Feels to me like he's trying to spike the BMO deal without being seen as the guy who actually did it.

I've felt all along that we couldn't really get a bead on the guy. Today, for the first time, I have an inkling.

Face it, the BMO reno is a kludgy nothing in the scheme of things. If you look at who Leiweke is, he builds megavenues. That's what he's done. He doesn't run sports teams. LA Live, London O2, the KC arena and surroundings, that's his resume.

Is he actually trying to put together one of the biggest real estate deals in the world? Soccer, NFL Football, outdoor hockey, concerts, hotels, other stuff ... World Cup 2026 ... all on the waterfront ....

LA Live on super steroids.

Of course, this could just be my imagination! I get accused of that regularly!
    Didn't exactly cover himself in glory with Tottenham Hotspur's potential move into the London Olympic stadium. Huge mistake, from a sporting cultural standpoint. Working within a very complex environment, mind, and a chairman determined to drive the best possible bargain at all costs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that...if he can do it more power to him.
    This would be cool.

If it weren't for the hundreds of millions in public money, I'd agree.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Argos to BMO" will never completely die, so long as the city continues to own the stadium, and MLSE continues to occasionally come, hat-in-hand, asking for some amount of money from the city or province. However, it at least appears to be dead for now.

I don't really see what the Argos do now, aside from putting more bleachers in at York U. They are being kicked out of the Rogers Centre in 2017, and no one even wants the team, let alone wants to put out the cash to build them a new stadium.

So I guess they are also ditching the retractable north/south stands, with the fieldturf end zones?
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 05-27-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario Place.

Not a hope in hell of it going there. There isn't the sewage infrastructure nor can the roads be adjusted to handle 90000 people. And, if the Libs win in Ontario or Chow wins in Toronto, the only political support is Mark Grimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a hope in hell of it going there. There isn't the sewage infrastructure nor can the roads be adjusted to handle 90000 people. And, if the Libs win in Ontario or Chow wins in Toronto, the only political support is Mark Grimes.
    Details.

They can put the sewage pipe in next to the tunnel connecting Ontario Place to the island airport, which will have jet service, so the Fifacrats can fly to the game, literally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This city can barely handle the infrastructure requirements it has on it's plate... Not that it's ever stopped them from green lighting a project.