Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    No surprises here. Feds already came out not supporting the project so I don't see why anyone who have been following this issue is surprised.

That being said, Argos can still get their own stadium if they are willing to move outside of downtown core. York is going to be Argos' training facility this year, so they might as well work with university to build football stadium.
    Why would York help them... they already pulled out of a deal with York.

At best they would have to try to find away to Upgrade the new Stadium at york to 20,000 from 5,000 (do able) and have to live with the Track around the Field.
    Last edited by Kaz; 05-27-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way that the Harper Government will give $10M now. The MO of this government has always been to admit/show no weakness, never admit guilt, never say you were wrong. If they look like they cave to MLSE, then that will probably be the slippery slope to the Conservatives' losing re-election.

I'm still worried that someone, somewhere, will find the $10 million needed for the modification to take place. Maybe even Tannenbaum out of his own pocket. I'm scared that they'll start construction and be forced to modify it partway through and we end up with a frenkenstien monster of a stadium, pleasing no one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I know for a fact the plans have not been drawn up yet.
    Phil where is the North End empty thing coming from in the Globe article? is that just speculation? Hope? future troll baiting to attack MLSE for shutting out the Argos? an attempt to influence before the plans are made?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not believe for a second that the deal will be killed over $10M. It was either never going to happen for other reasons, or this is a pressure tactic.

Lot of ifs..if liberals win and if the city approves, and if this and that...

In my opinion the whole BMO upgrade is now at risk and there is an equal chance of it not happening as to the chance of the Argos not going to BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Why would York help them... they already pulled out of a deal with York.

At best they would have to try to find away to Upgrade the new Stadium to 20,000 from 5,000 (do able) and have to live with the Track around the Field.
    York is going under huge development in the area.

Argos are going to be using York's facility this year for training. So I am assuming there have made up and moved on.

If Argos are serious, then they will contribute some money into football stadium.

I find it funny how we're blaming feds for doing right thing here. How about Argos or even CFL themselves pay that $10 million? If they can't afford to pay $10 million to "save" Argos, then maybe Argos don't deserve to play in Toronto. If you look around league, teams contribute some money into their stadiums. So why can't Argos do the same? Blame Argos ownership if BMO field renovation doesn't happen not government or MLSE.
    Last edited by TFC07; 05-27-2014 at 11:35 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    In my opinion the whole BMO upgrade is now at risk and there is an equal chance of it not happening as to the chance of the Argos not going to BMO.

I'm just so happy today.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Pete able to respond without a meme?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These events show me how weak the leadership in the CFL and Argos really are. The CFL should have stepped in long time ago to get the Argos a stadium to play in and a real owner.
    Everyone is so concerned about what is going to happen to the CFL's biggest market but nothing is being done about it. All the other leagues lobby for their teams and get deals done, but not the CFL
    and Argos. I love watching the CFL and you know what, the league is doing great without Toronto so if the Argos have to fold or move to Atlantic Canada so be it.

Like so many people I have talked too has said, the first ever Blue Jays home game killed the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikers View Post
    These events show me how weak the leadership in the CFL and Argos really are. The CFL should have stepped in long time ago to get the Argos a stadium to play in and a real owner.
    Everyone is so concerned about what is going to happen to the CFL's biggest market but nothing is being done about it. All the other leagues lobby for their teams and get deals done, but not the CFL
    and Argos. I love watching the CFL and you know what, the league is doing great without Toronto so if the Argos have to fold or move to Atlantic Canada so be it.

Like so many people I have talked too has said, the first ever Blue Jays home game killed the Argos.
    Just imagine if Larry T and co end up buying Bills will do to Argos?

But then, Argos have no one but themselves to blame for state they're in. Blaming everyone but themselves is what really is holding them back. Even their fanbase have this mentality and blame everything on Rogers (and eventually MLSE if they move to BMO field) for their shortcoming. I personally believe Argos do have spot in Toronto market, but they have to invest a lot more into their team and be more responsible if they want to become successful in Toronto.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you on the former but not the latter.

I don't want to see the Argos die, move or leave the GTA. Just not ma house.

And I said it without a meme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with FYR this is a happy day and nothing can bring me down from this.

Argos have dug there own grave over a home for the entire history has a franchise. Backing out of deals, taking the cheap road in terms of Rogers Centre ect.

No matter how long they have been around and have a historical link to the CFL when will people give up on this franchise?

No owner, or potential owner has ever stepped up to try and get there own stadium. Or a deal for one. If there current and former owners and leauge there in don't put in the leg work to save there own, why should we care about losing a 100 year old franchise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just imagine if Larry T and co end up buying Bills will do to Argos?

I believe Cathal is correct when he mentions that the NFL wants to co-exist with the CFL, if a NFL team ever comes to Toronto.

Until the Buffalo Bills situation is cleared up, there will always be a chance of Argos to BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The argos aren't going ANYWHERE. MLSE (Bell, Rogers) is not going to let them go away, but they know they got everyone by the balls because NO ONE is going to buy the Argos AND build them a stadium, which they now need since the Blue Jays kicked them out so they can look into a grass install.

TSN (Bell) spends $30+ million a season for the CFL television rights. It ends after the 2018 season.

Last year was the second highest most watched season in CFL history. CFL averaged 758,000 viewers per game last season. Toronto FC season opener had 299,000 and 352,000 for the first home game with the debuts of Defoe and Bradley. 352,000 viewers was also the record for MLS on TSN. CFL regular hit 1 million viewers or just below last season.

CFL had a $4.4 million salary cap last season. The average salary is $83,018.

The naming rights on National Soccer Stadium (which were bought by MLSE) are set to expire right around when the expansion will be complete. If the Argos are tenants, the price for the rights will probably double.

TSN just announced TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5 for September.

Rogers and Bell are not going to let go of the Argos over $10 million. They got the stadium, The salary cap is low, and either Bell or Rogers is going to own the TV rights anyways because CBC isn't going to be bidding on sports anymore. They will make their money back the first year. They are simply breaking balls and trying to get the lowest price possible, which is why they haven't bought the argos yet. Once the funding is all set up, they'll squeeze the current owner knowing he has no options after the lease is over at the dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Cathal is correct when he mentions that the NFL wants to co-exist with the CFL, if a NFL team ever comes to Toronto.

Until the Buffalo Bills situation is cleared up, there will always be a chance of Argos to BMO
    Argos will be viewed as junior/peewee football team by general public which will hurt them even more if NFL ever comes to Toronto. But at least, they will be alive playing somewhere in Toronto like Toronto Marlies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bingo! its just politics ppl

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    The argos aren't going ANYWHERE. MLSE (Bell, Rogers) is not going to let them go away, but they know they got everyone by the balls because NO ONE is going to buy the Argos AND build them a stadium, which they now need since the Blue Jays kicked them out so they can look into a grass install.

TSN (Bell) spends $30+ million a season for the CFL television rights. It ends after the 2018 season.

Last year was the second highest most watched season in CFL history. CFL averaged 758,000 viewers per game last season. Toronto FC season opener had 299,000 and 352,000 for the first home game with the debuts of Defoe and Bradley. 352,000 viewers was also the record for MLS on TSN. CFL regular hit 1 million viewers or just below last season.

The naming rights on National Soccer Stadium (which were bought by MLSE) are set to expire right around when the expansion will be complete. If the Argos are tenants, the price for the rights will probably double.

Rogers and Bell are not going to let go of the Argos over $10 million. They got the stadium, The salary cap is low, and either Bell or Rogers is going to own the TV rights anyways because CBC isn't going to be bidding on sports anymore. They will make their money back the first year. They are simply breaking balls and trying to get the lowest price possible, which is why they haven't bought the argos yet. Once the funding is all set up, they'll squeeze the current owner knowing he has no options after the lease is over at the dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos are losing money despite their TV numbers and they have lowest SSH base. Really motive for MLSE (at least Larry T) buying Argos is to protect NFL interest (anti-trust laws) if they end up buying Bills and move them to Toronto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good news day, if only for today only. But I will take it.

cal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I mentioned in my first post the CFL is doing well everywhere except Toronto. Those numbers would be close to the same if the Argos were in another city.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Phil where is the North End empty thing coming from in the Globe article? is that just speculation? Hope? future troll baiting to attack MLSE for shutting out the Argos? an attempt to influence before the plans are made?
    Well, let me correct that - MLSE havent pushed any formal layout or architecual plans out to staff yet. Its still in the concept phase, I am sure a couple options are drafted pending projected developments.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't it Cathal Kelly that was being fed all those inside scoop articles at the start of the season? Tim L uses him to leak beneficial stuff so that seems like it might be the case here. Leak this info to try to pressure the government to put the money and get the Argos in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos will be viewed as junior/peewee football team by general public which will hurt them even more if NFL ever comes to Toronto. But at least, they will be alive playing somewhere in Toronto like Toronto Marlies.
    It's a separate market. The Argos are already viewed that way by everyone who will be buying a ticket to an NFL team in Toronto and everyone who watches the NFL on TV in Toronto now.

The stadium attendance at 8 home games is barely a blip on TV ratings.

The Argos in any NFL discussion is a distraction (and to involve government money). The only issue in the NFL coming to Toronto is an owner putting up the money. The NFL will hand-pick an owner just like the NBA will hand-pick the new Clippers owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I mentioned in my first post the CFL is doing well everywhere except Toronto. Those numbers would be close to the same if the Argos were in another city.
    The Argos are currently leasing a cavern of a stadium.

MLSE would see the profit share from the TV rights go BACK into their pockets.

MLSE would use the Argos to get a better price on the stadium naming rights on the National Soccer Stadium.

2 of the top 6 highest rated games involved Toronto (Toronto @ Saskatchewan on Sept. 14 - 1.041 million)(Toronto @ Hamilton on Oct. 14 - 956,000)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

I don't want to see the Argos die, move or leave the GTA. Just not ma house.
    I have never been to a CFL or Argos game, never even watched one on television - except the last 5 minutes of a Grey Cup Final which I think took about two days to complete - but I really don't want to see them fold either. The CFL is a part of Canadian history, culture and tradition and in an age when everything gets homogenized and globalised into uniformity, it's nice to have something that's genuine Canadian and old!

That said, I do find it rather ridiculous that the city, the province, the country and MLSE are all being asked to pitch money into this, but not the CFL or the Argos themselves. It should be the Argos that I putting down the first dollars and the Argos that are trying to get everyone else on board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote from Joe Oliver - Finance Minister:

chris rands ‏@chrisrands 2m #tfc #hw finance minister and min for the gta joe oliver just now "we don't extend money to professional sports stadiums" re bmo field

https://twitter.com/chrisrands/statu...47869044453376

https://twitter.com/chrisrands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos are losing money despite their TV numbers and they have lowest SSH base. Really motive for MLSE (at least Larry T) buying Argos is to protect NFL interest (anti-trust laws) if they end up buying Bills and move them to Toronto.
    Motive is Bell seeing an immediate partial refund on their TV Rights deal, which they currently pay somewhere in between $30-40 million per season. That means millions back into their pocket that was already gone.

Motive is having negotiating a new stadium rights deal in 2016 with the Argos on board. Either that or you slap the Bell or Rogers logo on the stadium and now have a tenant you own who brings in 2x-4x the amount of ratings.

Argos would sell out BMO field for every single CFL game. Montreal had their problems in Olympic Stadium too until they moved.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE would use the Argos to get a better price on the stadium naming rights on the National Soccer Stadium.
    If you can't see a problem here then I guess our priorities are just opposite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motive is Bell seeing an immediate partial refund on their TV Rights deal, which they currently pay somewhere in between $30-40 million per season. That means millions back into their pocket that was already gone.

Motive is having negotiating a new stadium rights deal in 2016 with the Argos on board. Either that or you slap the Bell or Rogers logo on the stadium and now have a tenant you own who brings in 2x-4x the amount of ratings.

Argos would sell out BMO field for every single CFL game. Montreal had their problems in Olympic Stadium too until they moved.
    Maybe so, but Bills is the MAIN reason why all this is happening. It has been reported multiple times that purpose of buying Agros has more to do with NFL than anything else. Toronto NFL team brings way more money than any TV or sponsor deal that Argos will bring to MLSE/Larry T.

We all know for fact that Argos moving to BMO field was conditional made by the City of Toronto. $30 million from government to rebuild BMO field is for Argos not for soccer side which MLSE paying that with their own money.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And is no longer a Soccer Specific Stadium

Nope. No thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe so, but Bills is the MAIN reason why all this is happening. It has been reported multiple times that purpose of buying Agros has more to do with NFL than anything else. Toronto NFL team brings way more money than any TV or sponsor deal that Argos will bring to MLSE/Larry T.

We all know for fact that Argos moving to BMO field was conditional made by the City of Toronto. $30 million from government to rebuild BMO field is for Argos not for soccer side which MLSE paying that with their own money.
    Are you talking about gate receipts? How much would that be? I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to figure out who spends what and who makes what in an MLSE-purchased Bills-to-Toronto move. MLSE, owned by Bell, already own all the NFL TV rights in Canada. Would the NFL TV ratings go up much if the Bills were in Toronto rather than in Buffalo? If the ratings go up would the NFL charge Bell more for the rights?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My theory about the Argos good ratings is that it's all some sort of Schadenfreude Syndrome - aging hinterland viewers who hate Toronto and want to see us lose.

If the Argos have such thin live support yet are pulling such great TV numbers, why not spend government millions more wisely> Just build a giant TV studio down in Portlands district. The live game can be shown outside on giant screens in a parking lot, like it's a massive drive in theatre that allows tailgating. The Argo faithful can roll up, get stuffed and smashed, watch a shoddy brand of football from the comfort of their pick-up truxx and Cadillac Escalades.

The studio facility can be used the next day to shoot some other TV event or movie. Creates a facility that provides everyday jobs for skilled workers. Legacy planning like never before.