Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I don't know if sushi threatens the American way but Ann Coulter's Anti-Soccer piece was written June 25 of this year.
    Yes, but what she does is performance art, certainly you're not taking her seriously?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yes, but what she does is performance art, certainly you're not taking her seriously?
    Come on now, don't 1) Insult her integrity and/or 2) Ruin the fantasy...

It doesn't matter unfortunately, that smirky lady(sic) is presenting it as serious and will be critiqued as such. That is, if we condescend to give her the hits. She's on my ignore list now.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if Oliva Chow is Mayor of Toronto? (based on polls, it's quite possible she become one) Would it have any impact on Argos moving to BMO field? We all know David Miller doesn't support Argos moving to BMO field, so I wonder a follow NDPer hold same views? I know a lot of Chow volunteers are promoting Chow at soccer events (TFC games and World Cup viewing like Eaton Centre) lately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    What if Oliva Chow is Mayor of Toronto? (based on polls, it's quite possible she become one) Would it have any impact on Argos moving to BMO field? We all know David Miller doesn't support Argos moving to BMO field, so I wonder a follow NDPer hold same views? I know a lot of Chow volunteers are promoting Chow at soccer events (TFC games and World Cup viewing like Eaton Centre) lately.
    I think she's pretty clueless on this issue.
    she was passing out literature at a TFC game that was "dissing" RoFo about voting against the expansion plan...
    she and her team aren't "sports" people....they probably don't get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Like Wrestling many people do.. which is why she is dangerous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I think she's pretty clueless on this issue. she was passing out literature at a TFC game that was "dissing" RoFo about voting against the expansion plan...
    Which he did.

Somebody is pandering.

But about BMO she seems to be going with the current city approach:

BMO expansion with the Argos preferred but not a necessity with the Argos.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's inevitable that the Argos are coming to BMO at some point.
    They need a place to play, and BMO is the easiest solution. The Argos have proven time and time again they will not put their own money towards a new stadium, and the government won't build them one.
    We have to change the conversation from "no Argos at BMO" to ensure that renovations improve the gameday experience for TFC.
    If you look at the pictures from the women's US/Canada game at Winnipeg, its evident how huge the CFL stadium footprint is. We also experienced it first hand when TFC played a couple times in the Dome.
    If the retractable seats promised by TL don't come through, the supporters are going to be way too far from the field.
    Also, are they proposing a second deck, or an entire new east stand? If so, the pitch of the seats and sightlines could be a concern, and the number of rows. What if some of us in the new east stand find ourselves relocated to the upper deck? Will the price-point change in a renovated stadium? Will they change the designation of supporters sections in 110/111?

It's easy to criticize the Argos and their lack of fan support. But the (reported) crowd of 18,000 for the opener would have almost filled BMO. A move would surely bump up demand enough to fill it. Their crowds are likely no different than what TFC would draw if we were stuck playing in the Dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The Argos have proven time and time again they will not put their own money towards a new stadium, and the government won't build them one.

It's easy to criticize the Argos and their lack of fan support. But the (reported) crowd of 18,000 for the opener would have almost filled BMO. A move would surely bump up demand enough to fill it. Their crowds are likely no different than what TFC would draw if we were stuck playing in the Dome.
    Then let the free market prevail for fuck sakes. I hate the hypocrisy in the west when it comes to sports teams, if its a "if they build it, they will come" type thing then git er done, I fully support the Argos continuing their tradition in their OWN stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need a place to play, and BMO is the easiest solution. The Argos have proven time and time again they will not put their own money towards a new stadium, and the government won't build them one.
    We have to change the conversation from "no Argos at BMO" to ensure that renovations improve the gameday experience for TFC.
    If you look at the pictures from the women's US/Canada game at Winnipeg, its evident how huge the CFL stadium footprint is. We also experienced it first hand when TFC played a couple times in the Dome.
    If the retractable seats promised by TL don't come through, the supporters are going to be way too far from the field.
    Also, are they proposing a second deck, or an entire new east stand? If so, the pitch of the seats and sightlines could be a concern, and the number of rows. What if some of us in the new east stand find ourselves relocated to the upper deck? Will the price-point change in a renovated stadium? Will they change the designation of supporters sections in 110/111?

I don't know about that since there's no interest out there to buy Argos. CFL wants Argos move to BMO field, but yet they can't come up with $10 million to get them there. How cheap are these guys? If you can't invest $10 million into most "important" market that attracts sponsors for your league, then face the music and fold the team already. These guys are killing Argos with their cheapness and bad decisions. You're seeing Argos attendance dropping yearly and apathy that's kicking into Toronto market when comes to Argos/CFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ever watch a Whitecaps game, they have retractable seats. The first 10 rows of Kop seating retracts for CFL games and is pull out for Whitecaps games. It covers most of the CFL endzone and sits on a grey pad to protect the field turf. I'm assuming the Argos will have fieldturf endzones so you and pull the seats out.

The site lines suck at the Skydome, thats why everyone stays home at watches it for free on TV rather and that why Argos want to move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos don't want to move they are being kicked out of Rogers Center.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Egg chasers do go on.

Soccer is the whipping boy of North American Sport.

Sports fans may call baseball boring, or hockey violent, or basketball only important in the last few minutes, or football overly hyped or NASCAR guys who can't turn right...... but they still respect people who play and support the game.

But soccer, that threatens people with its foreignness.
    you're usually right on....but I think gratefully many Canadian newcomers won't allow that to happen . Like the Raptors , soccer is a game the youth love , my hope is in them . I mean they would never be foolish enough to believe in the leafs for what 48 years.....
    Last edited by jazzy; 07-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They want to move way more than the Jays want grass. Skydome is a dump and they have been trying to move out for more than 10 years. Their preferred location was Varsity stadium, but the university pulled out at 24th hour. CSA were the argos partner for the Varsity Stadium. Then they looked at York and the exhibition grounds. Argos bitter at the Varsity deal eventually took rent free deal for their fair weather fans from the Blue Jays, and CSA moved on. After that, then MLSE got an MLS expansion team and partnered with city for a bare-bones stadium at the CNE.

Varsity would have been a way better location and way better stadium than BMO and in the end, both TFC and Argos lost something. Hopefully, the new BMO will be awesome as TL says so the fans will be protected from the elements. Because fans have been pounded by the weather at that location for 75 years.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The documents I posted on page 9 highlight the plan boys.

Phase 1 - 8,000 new seats
    Phase 2 - roof
    Phase 3 - Argos

Phase 1 and 2 don't depend on 3 but the language around 3 is pretty clear. Argos need a home and it is cheaper to do phase 3 than build a new stadium. Public funds or alternative funds are being sought to make phase 3 happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely think Coulter is right about her audience - the number of Republicans or Conservatives that would self-identify with the statement "I love soccer and I watch a lot of the World Cup" is small.

Soccer is really a city thing in North America. Rural areas aren't into it, by and large, for them the summer sport is baseball, period.

I wonder if Japan and Australia have the same urban/rural split on soccer.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont think so in Japan (i can really only speak about Korea and they play baseball and soccer equally in city/country), as for Australia id imagine that Aussie Rules is prob more popular in the country etc etc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another red flag for the BMO renos

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/07...stadium-delays

The new Tim Hortons field has been delayed and the team had to move their July games to McMaster.

I recall the Winnipeg stadium opening a year behind schedule as well, and I think the BC Place reno was a season too late.

Though the BMO renos are being done in stages, adding 8,000 seats and a new concourse is fairly significant, and there is only a 6 month window. I think we could be looking at a couple games in the Dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another red flag for the BMO renos

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/07...stadium-delays

The new Tim Hortons field has been delayed and the team had to move their July games to McMaster.

I recall the Winnipeg stadium opening a year behind schedule as well, and I think the BC Place reno was a season too late.

Though the BMO renos are being done in stages, adding 8,000 seats and a new concourse is fairly significant, and there is only a 6 month window. I think we could be looking at a couple games in the Dome.
    Montreal did the same expansion (adding a second deck onto pre-existing stands) for Molson stadium they are looking at for east stands for BMO. It took 9 months.

Anybody worried about the timeline? Last game is Oct 25th. November, December, January, February ... you get the idea. Where are they going to play March, April, May June? What if its a bad winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Montreal did the same expansion (adding a second deck onto pre-existing stands) for Molson stadium they are looking at for east stands for BMO. It took 9 months.

Anybody worried about the timeline? Last game is Oct 25th. November, December, January, February ... you get the idea. Where are they going to play March, April, May June? What if its a bad winter?
    and if we are in the playoffs, then they can't even start in November.

I have seen in Europe where stadiums are under-construction even while they are playing in the stadium (well I mean they aren't working during a game, but will be working during the days there is no game.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL Commisioner just mentioned on Argos v Ottawa broadcast on TSN2 that CFL/Argos still talking with MLSE about moving to BMO.

Dom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    CFL Commisioner just mentioned on Argos v Ottawa broadcast on TSN2 that CFL/Argos still talking with MLSE about moving to BMO.

Dom.
    That is a repeat of Friday's telecast from Ottawa. I heard it too. This isn't over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. Hahahahaha.... I guess I can say with honesty I don't really follow the Argos.

Sorry for the old news.

Dom.