Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Argos out of BMO?

This is what Cathal Kelly is reporting. Hurrahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Argos out of BMO Field Expansion Plans

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...board/follows/

Woohoo, I am over the moon. With the feds dithering on subsidizing expansion plans, MLSE has decided to go ahead without accommodating Argos. My only wish would be to make the north stand permanent so that we never have this prospect again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I particularly like this:

"New architectural plans have been drawn. A $120-million reno becomes a $100-million one. The arena will be rebuilt to its current dimensions, meaning there will be no north-south extension and no room for football end zones. Ground will be broken in September."

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard about this last week and couldn't believe it. Seeing the details now....I am very happy.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing news! great way to kick off my day, Thanks Canary

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the best thing I've heard in a while.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YESSSS THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!!!! We get a upgraded stadium all to ourselves!!

I guess TL was telling the truth when he said the Argos were forced on him.

But really shitty news for the Argos. $20 million is not a lot money in the grand scheme of things, and that would've gotten the Argos a permanent home. BMO was really the perfect solution for them. No idea what they'll do now. Good luck finding public money for a new stadium.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOT the Argos House!!!!

and finally...

Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I particularly like this:

"New architectural plans have been drawn. A $120-million reno becomes a $100-million one. The arena will be rebuilt to its current dimensions, meaning there will be no north-south extension and no room for football end zones. Ground will be broken in September."
    I believe they were due to release the next phase of design to the public in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I believe they were due to release the next phase of design to the public in June.
    It's easy to think this showing up in the paper is to put pressure on the feds. Which it may be, but the good thing is they are under a time crunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

come on guys this is just to put pressure on the government. They will get their money eventually and argos will be at BMO field...read the last part it says it can be expanded for football later if needed

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got word of this last week. Always worried that its a tactic, but news went through MLSE that its dead. Its the June 12th election that is the last hurdle.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    come on guys this is just to put pressure on the government. They will get their money eventually and argos will be at BMO field...read the last part it says it can be expanded for football later if needed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a shock.

The previous thread on this boiled down to a bunch of people saying the government will never do this, and a bunch of other people saying that it was a layup, a done deal. At least we were having the right argument.

Would like to hear from one of those who know municipal politics who said the feds and province could quietly do this out of the Pan Am games funding, or whatever that was.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. So they have to go back to the city for another vote now. They need to hope the provincial elections go their way on June 12. They are assuming all will go their way but still not a done deal.

I want to see the revised stadium plans now. I wonder if they will have another stadium expansion session like last time. It sucks to have any temporary seating for the regulars in the North. I am assuming the roof will remain the same in terms of looks since they said they had to make it simple due to cost. I could see that they would try to cut a little more cost now possibly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I got word of this last week. Always worried that its a tactic, but news went through MLSE that its dead. Its the June 12th election that is the last hurdle.

What do you mean by this?

Sorry, if I'm a little out of the loop and please excuse my ignorance on this, but what election result will be the last hurdle?

Will one party stop the deal as oppossed to others?

Are there any other parties who have stated they will not see through on the loan?
    Last edited by InDa_110; 05-27-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    What do you mean by this?

Sorry, if I'm a little out of the loop and please excuse my ignorance on this, but what election result will be the last hurdle?

Will one party stop the deal as oppossed to others?
    Liberals have already committed to it. I haven't heard what the other two are saying. Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a shocker, liberals giving out money...I'm a hardcore conservative but in this case they should give the money to MLSE, in the end they are going to save the Argos

Liberals have already committed to it. I haven't heard what the other two are saying. Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how I see it too.

I fear this is ultimately worse news than we realize. Feds will balk. We'll start construction on a revised plan. Argos remain homeless. Feds will chip their 10M in. Then it'll happen. The Feds will not let the Argos leave or fold up shop.

End result being prolonged construction, not the best design because it wasn't all done at once with all in mind.

I'm cautious about this news. As the article said, it's dead now but can be revived easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a shocker, liberals giving out money...I'm a hardcore conservative but in this case they should give the money to MLSE, in the end they are going to save the Argos
    At least they aren't building million dollar gazebos with it! (Debate for a different forum).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    This is how I see it too.

I fear this is ultimately worse news than we realize. Feds will balk. We'll start construction on a revised plan. Argos remain homeless. Feds will chip their 10M in. Then it'll happen. The Feds will not let the Argos leave or fold up shop.

End result being prolonged construction, not the best design because it wasn't all done at once with all in mind.

I'm cautious about this news.
    They have an end date on construction because of the Pan-AM games, they need the plans finalized now for construction to start in September. Unless there are contingencies for a BMO 3.0, I'm not sure there is time left for the feds to come back to the table.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have an end date on construction because of the Pan-AM games, they need the plans finalized now for construction to start in September. Unless there are contingencies for a BMO 3.0, I'm not sure there is time left for the feds to come back to the table.
    This will be revisited around 2017 when the Argos' lease ends. I doubt they'll be able to build a brand new stadium in the GTA, so BMO will still be the most convenient option for them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wildass theory is that what is coming is much bigger, ie a new building, maybe at Ontario Place, that is purpose built with the potential to expand to NFL size.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos have until 2017 season is over, so while there's a need to start now for the Pan Am games, this issue remains active after. Unless I misread, I'm under the impression there remains an option to use 10M and blow up the North End to accommodate, post upcoming renovation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=453230

By David Naylor

The notion of BMO Field as future home of the Toronto Argonauts has been shelved as Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment prepares to invest in refurbishing the facility in times for next summer’s Pan-Am Games without a retrofit for Canadian football.

In April, Toronto city council approved a plan to invest $10 million in a $120 million expansion, contingent on the provincial and federal governments kicking in $10 million each as well. That plan included expanding the stadium to accommodate CFL football, with the Argos hoping to move in as soon as next season.

That stadium deal was put together at the same time that Argo owner David Braley was negotiating to sell the Argos to either MLSE or its largest, individual shareholder, Larry Tanenbaum.

However, with the provincial and federal governments yet to sign onto the deal, and time running out, MLSE is now focused on upgrading and repairing the facility under its current configurations, with an emphasis on getting it ready for next summer’s Pan-Am Games when it will host the Rugby Sevens competition.

While the possibility of an Argo sale to Tanenbaum or MLSE is not dead, according to a source, it has gone from being a priority to something that would depend another phase of stadium expansion being approved.

The Argos have been asked to vacate the Rogers Centre, their home since 1989 after the 2017 season so that the Toronto Blue Jays may consider installing natural grass into the facility.

MLSE will take a plan to city council next month to spend $80 million upgrading amenities in the stadium, asking for permission to spend the $10 million of city dollars that was granted for the larger project in April.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    My wildass theory is that what is coming is much bigger, ie a new building, maybe at Ontario Place, that is purpose built with the potential to expand to NFL size.
    Could also potentially see the eastern portlands.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Maybe in the portlands?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'm cautious about this news. As the article said, it's dead now but can be revived easily.

I don't care if the stadium looks like Lamport for a year as long as we have great grass for the players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just move the Argos to Mississauga or something.
    Anything to keep them out of BMO.