Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014 Voyageurs Cup final first leg: Montreal at Toronto, Wed 28 May 730pm

Montreal is on pure dumpster fire mode, and rarely gets a result in Toronto. Even a tepid TFC attack should be able to go on Hulkamania mode on Montreal defence.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say we win this one, even if we play a B squad.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should play a B squad. Though at this point I'm not sure what that even entails. Does Gilberto or Moore start? or do they both start and we rest Defoe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    We should play a B squad. Though at this point I'm not sure what that even entails. Does Gilberto or Moore start? or do they both start and we rest Defoe?
    Start Moore and Defoe - sub one of them off for Gilberto around the 65-70' based on the scoreline. We need the points at home (and goals) to make it easier to go into Saputo for the next leg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should we play the B squad? This is the final against our biggest rival FFS.
    We've played the fewest games of any team in the league and there will be a nice long break for everyone in a couple of weeks. Start the best 11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest concern for this team is and always has been MIDFIELD.
    Caldwell got his red card for tackling someone at almost mid field!.
    That was not his to make .
    It was Bekker/ Rey /Orr/New guy that should have been in that position.
    All night long from the get go we let Feilhaber run the show.
    Nobody tackled him /nobody kicked him/
    The midfield was like a concrete block.
    Nelson has to find the right personel that will not retreat but dish out some punishment.
    Then how about pass the ball so that the forwards are actually going FORWARD towards the goal.
    Please Mr Nelson put out a team that will go forward .
    One other thing (among many)TEACH,SHOW,EXPLAIN to the players how to play.
    THAT IS YOUR JOB!!!!!. RANT OF THE DAY OVER.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll score first, park the bus, and hang on for a 1-0 win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be a formality quite frankly. Montreal barely got by Edmonton, which isn't even an MLS team. They're coning off a 4-1 loss to Colorado while we fought from behind twice to come out with a 2-2 tie with the top team in the league. Not only am I predicting a large TFC victory but I am going on record in predicting Gilberto is going to score his first goal. My bones are giving me a good tingle on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    This should be a formality quite frankly. Montreal barely got by Edmonton, which isn't even an MLS team. They're coning off a 4-1 loss to Colorado while we fought from behind twice to come out with a 2-2 tie with the top team in the league. Not only am I predicting a large TFC victory but I am going on record in predicting Gilberto is going to score his first goal. My bones are giving me a good tingle on that one.
    That's simply just how the human mind works. Our minds don't comprehend the same consistent result in a 50/50 scenario (scoring/not scoring)

But hey, here's hoping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Not only am I predicting a large TFC victory but I am going on record in predicting Gilberto is going to score his first goal. My bones are giving me a good tingle on that one.
    Eventually someone will be right with this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we Marching before the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    Let's hope...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    "Against ___(insert team here)_____, Gilberto will score his first goal."

Just to make it easier for threads in the future
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should field a slightly weakened lineup for this game given the upcoming schedule. We have this game, then Columbus at home on the weekend, then the 2nd leg, and finally San Jose at home. That game against Columbus can be huge for us. They're 3 points ahead of us, occupying the last playoff spot in the East. We have 3 games in hand already, and if we get a win against them it puts some serious distance between us. Very likely we'll be battling Columbus for the 4th or 5th spot come the end of the year so a home game against them is crucial.

With Montreal free falling I think we can get away with a bit of a softer lineup. Start Defoe on the bench. Maybe play Morgan. Caldwell will play since he's suspended in the league, and with that in mind I would start Henry. Hagglund has been performing so I'm sure he'll be fine if he gets a game off. Henry needs to get his confidence back, we'll need him against Columbus.

Hit Montreal with both barrels in the 2nd leg. San Jose is an easier home match up than Columbus, in theory.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Why should we play the B squad? This is the final against our biggest rival FFS.
    We've played the fewest games of any team in the league and there will be a nice long break for everyone in a couple of weeks. Start the best 11.
    Not sure about fielding the best 11, but we should field a strong team. You're correct in that our team needs more games together. And we should always want to beat Montreal and they should always want to beat us - period!

We're nowhere near playing well consistently enough to decided when and when not to field teams to win. These guys are still learning to play and win as a team. We need starters on the field to do that. Starters can kick back in a couple weeks with the rest of us watching the WC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think we should field a slightly weakened lineup for this game given the upcoming schedule. We have this game, then Columbus at home on the weekend, then the 2nd leg, and finally San Jose at home. That game against Columbus can be huge for us. They're 3 points ahead of us, occupying the last playoff spot in the East. We have 3 games in hand already, and if we get a win against them it puts some serious distance between us. Very likely we'll be battling Columbus for the 4th or 5th spot come the end of the year so a home game against them is crucial.

With Montreal free falling I think we can get away with a bit of a softer lineup. Start Defoe on the bench. Maybe play Morgan. Caldwell will play since he's suspended in the league, and with that in mind I would start Henry. Hagglund has been performing so I'm sure he'll be fine if he gets a game off. Henry needs to get his confidence back, we'll need him against Columbus.

Hit Montreal with both barrels in the 2nd leg. San Jose is an easier home match up than Columbus, in theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Not sure about fielding the best 11, but we should field a strong team. You're correct in that our team needs more games together. And we should always want to beat Montreal and they should always want to beat us - period!

We're nowhere near playing well consistently enough to decided when and when not to field teams to win. These guys are still learning to play and win as a team. We need starters on the field to do that. Starters can kick back in a couple weeks with the rest of us watching the WC.

I see a front of Gilberto and Luke Moore.
    Midfield with DeRo, Bekker (since he played so little and can be sub against ShitBus by Warner), Rey and Lovitz
    Backfield of Morgan (who played well against Vancouver), Caldwell (since he has nothing to do on Saturday), Orr and Bloom
    and of course the Legend Joe Bendik in net.

Not the strongest but the best we can do while still having players rested for Saturday (Defoe, Warner, Orr, Hagglund) that can be inserted in the 11 and make the team better for Saturday (rest isn't too much of a concern this week as its two game at home, next week with away in MTL then back to BMO for SJ).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for the throat, and a clean sheet for Bendik, don't let that jerk Saputo, have any glory, the way he acted at the home leg at Montreal with Edmonton, and that penalty call in extra time was a classic example of Match Fixing, ala The Fix.

Go into the match hard and fast, and the supporters have to be rowdy, loud and a bit psycho, there should be no excuses. No Surrender and No Quarter for this match.

Fuck being nice, be pricks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Defoe may actually play. He didn't play in Vancouver because of the gawdawful turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all this talk of B squad or and easy win... dose everyone already forget 6-0 last year in the return leg back in Montreal?

I say we start our strongest 11 & punish these Impact f*@#ers into the ground... I want 7-0 leaving BMO on wed night!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walms View Post
    I say we start our strongest 11 & punish these Impact f*@#ers into the ground... I want 7-0 leaving BMO on wed night!
    The Impact are very shit. That is true however we are TFC and we don't make things easy. We could play a college team and coast 1-0 for most of the match. I expect the same on Wednesday. Lots of chances, some decent build up, and a nervy second half. As per our usual.

I say 2-1 TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walms View Post
    Why all this talk of B squad or and easy win... dose everyone already forget 6-0 last year in the return leg back in Montreal?

Yes. I agree.

1) Don't underestimate any team....any team can come out with a stunner and thinking you have it won before the game starts is just never good.
    2) There are no easy wins....usually.
    3) Do whatever you can to win every game and don't rely on the second game or away goals.

In other words...win by as many goals as possible with the strongest team. Only one home game and this is the Cup final. If the boys are a little tired on Saturday so be it. They are professionals and should be able to handle the occasional Wednesday game. If they can't handle it we probably have another issue to worry about. Above all....it's Montreal....they need to lose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that it is funny that last year everyone was saying 'V-Cup doesn't matter, send out the academy'

I have to admit, I was partly of the same mind.

Then we didn't win the V-Cup...

It matters, it matters a LOT!
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I think that it is funny that last year everyone was saying 'V-Cup doesn't matter, send out the academy'

I have to admit, I was partly of the same mind.

Then we didn't win the V-Cup...

It matters, it matters a LOT!
    Yep... I really love CCL games and with the new format (American and Mexican teams being favoured) I would love to go in and knock out a few of them.

Give me a home game vs Cruz Azul or Santos Laguna or Toluca

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Yep... I really love CCL games and with the new format (American and Mexican teams being favoured) I would love to go in and knock out a few of them.

Give me a home game vs Cruz Azul or Santos Laguna or Toluca
    How does the new format favor American/Mexican teams?
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we win supports shield we don't make it to the CCL if we win the mls cup we don't make the CCL. Also as far as I know no american team can be in a pool with a mexican side during the initial group stage.

Less opportunity to make the champions league and automatically a harder path to make it on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the new three team groups, American and Mexican teams can't be drawn angainst each other and only one team advances out if the group. Groups are set up to have the best chance of American and Mexican teams as the only ones to advance to the knockout stages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping Saturday's game in mind, here's my guess for a line-up:
    --Bendik--
    -Richter----Henry--Caldwell---Morgan
    --Rey--Hall--Bekker---Lovitz
    -----Gilberto (only if he isn't starting on Saturday)---Defoe (early sub)

Bench: DeRo (on for Defoe), Bloom, Weeds, Moore, Hagglund, Konopka
    Last edited by Graeme; 05-27-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Probably want a sub GK in there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    The Impact are very shit. That is true however we are TFC and we don't make things easy. We could play a college team and coast 1-0 for most of the match. I expect the same on Wednesday. Lots of chances, some decent build up, and a nervy second half. As per our usual.

I say 2-1 TFC
    I just remember all of the talk how KC had no central defenders last Friday, and it was prime pickings for TFC, yet we really struggled, and were very lucky to scrape out a point, so no we go for the throat and score a bucket load of goals, besides it is my birthday on Wednesday and want have a great day!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the game will play out similar to vs SKC with Mtl dominating possession, except Mtl is less organized and TFC will exploit on the counter
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would montreal dominate possesion? their midfield is shit too.