Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weather was nice. There were a lot of entertaining flair plays by TFC. I quite enjoyed the game until Mtl scored.

I think that Nelsen tried to put out just a good enough team not to be embarassed, but does not value this competition and would actually prefer not to have to play in the CCL.

Why should he? It's clear that 95% of the fans only consider MLS success to count. Call it ignorance if you will, but that's how it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's so easy to say "it doesn't matter, you have to go for it", but the combination of the importance of Defoe and Bradley, and the fact that this year neither got an offseason, makes this an uncomfortable topic this year.

What should we want?

How much more likely is it that Defoe and/or Bradley will sustain a serious injury if we are playing twice a week in the heat of July and August? If they can only play once a week, which games do you hold them out of....?
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are very clear on this, but it isn't a valid argument. There is a new owner, new president, new GM, new front office staff, new roster, no hint of locker room dissent ( did you see Morgan, who rarely plays, put his arm around O'Leary after the game? Or hear Henry say "the Manager plays you if you work hard in practice"?) Judge Nelsen on tactics, Liewike on DP's, Bez on other acquisitions but treating them as an extension of Mo isn't accurate or real. It's as entirely new an organization as you realistically could have. Move on!
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    You dont get it, Im talking about one thing despite the fact that you want to relate it to another.

I'm not someone who likes to pretend this is year one, like a lot of people seem to. Coaching does not define the club or its policies. 'This new management' is a product of and works within the club framework, which has been built over the last eight years.

In the post that was referred to, I was critiquing this team (that is TFC, the club team as a whole, not just the current squad) and the organization that runs it, over the last eight years. I was pointing out repetition of mistakes, the infrastructure that all our coaches have had to work within, and the underlying locker room culture that is hidden from the media and fans, and suggesting that unless it all changes wholesale, we'll keep getting the same results we always got.

This is not hard to understand, surely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Not playing Defoe was the correct decision. His minutes have to be managed, even if he was younger they would have to be. The world cup break will actually help in his case.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's so easy to say "it doesn't matter, you have to go for it", but the combination of the importance of Defoe and Bradley, and the fact that this year neither got an offseason, makes this an uncomfortable topic this year.

What should we want?

How much more likely is it that Defoe and/or Bradley will sustain a serious injury if we are playing twice a week in the heat of July and August? If they can only play once a week, which games do you hold them out of....?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why should it matter if Defoe is out?

There are multiple posts listing all the players brought in during the offseason and I am pretty sure that there was much rejoicing about all these upgrades.

More work still to be done?... say it ain't so.

I will say that the we didn't win because we didn't want to excuse is a refreshing new one.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes. Not playing Defoe was the correct decision. His minutes have to be managed, even if he was younger they would have to be. The world cup break will actually help in his case.
    You mean younger... Like Gilberto ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a couple of flashes in the first half, but it wasn't a fun game to watch.

I would like a fun game to watch, please.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    You mean younger... Like Gilberto ?
    No, I mean because he has had a full EPL season and his body needs a break now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As stated by many OP I don't think they want to win this tournament... We don't have depth to compete in this tournament and in the league. The league is the priority and they are willing to sacrifice this for it. I am fine with that, because when we make the playoffs this year we have another full offseason to build depth and have a legitime bench to compete in both the league and champions league. Plus teh salary cap will be raised to do the new CBA and then we can be the first MLS team to win champions league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next transfer window this team NEEEEDSSS to go after a pure AM..but again what did we expect in a game we have orr and hall in the midfield lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Making the playoffs doesn't win you anything. Resting your best players in a cup FINAL just so that they're a little bit fresher for ONE league game is fucking retarded.
    Especially when you're coming into a World Cup break. LOL. Gotta rest up for vacation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The weather was nice. There were a lot of entertaining flair plays by TFC. I quite enjoyed the game until Mtl scored.

I think that Nelsen tried to put out just a good enough team not to be embarassed, but does not value this competition and would actually prefer not to have to play in the CCL.

Why should he? It's clear that 95% of the fans only consider MLS success to count. Call it ignorance if you will, but that's how it is.
    How much did this club bank from the QF vs LA at the Skydome? Or the SF vs Santos? How many fans who showed up to those, or simply caught the buzz, came to matches afterwards?

Considering how the draw went, why the fuck shouldn't MLSE want us there? They don't like money all of a sudden? Maybe this is merely about saving TL's ego to do every little thing possible to make the MLS playoffs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should we want?

Even if FAS is no pushover, those two don't need to play that team. We're talking about 2 matches vs NY. That's not much to ask for.

You can bet your ass they'll be trotted out to play fucking Tottenham though.
    Last edited by ryan; 05-29-2014 at 09:05 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Making the playoffs doesn't win you anything. Resting your best players in a cup FINAL just so that they're a little bit fresher for ONE league game is fucking retarded.
    I agree with you. Our management does not. They would say making the playoffs wins you a job. That's what the majority of fans want more than a weirdo trophy to play teams that aren't even from Europe of South America, like, man.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a couple of flashes in the first half, but it wasn't a fun game to watch.

Really? I quite enjoyed watching that game. Maybe it was the crowd? Other than about a 5 minute spell after Montreal scored, we looked pretty decent too. If one of DeRo's crossbars had gone a few inches below....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those don't happen with Petrescu. I complained about that all night. Just like his last match here and his others league wide. He is always heavy on the whistle and totally destroys any flow to his matches.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Will do, OT. Will do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I agree with this - but I also bet he is under direct instructions to focus on the league and not the cup as well. Lieweke also promised the playoffs, and will be well aware of the affect of the extra games as you mentioned.
    I agree. If TFC wins this tournament, it will be thanks to our reserves. If we move on to the CCL, our B team will play most of the matches. In this particular season, I'm ok with that approach.

We really need to focus on the league fixtures. We've had success in the CCL before while being a league doormat, and our club was still considered a unanimous failure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Those don't happen with Petrescu. I complained about that all night. Just like his last match here and his others league wide. He is always heavy on the whistle and totally destroys any flow to his matches.
    The reffing was definitely not great.

Funny, I once shared a cab with Petrescu. I was on my way to play in a tournament in Kitchener, and he and I both were at the central bus station trying to flag a cab to get to the pitch. We were both wearing football warm up stuff, and carrying big bags so we realized we were going to the same place and shared the cab. Didn't realize who he was until about half way there. That was probably about 5 years ago. Didn't like having him as a ref either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning is a habit. Unless he's not 100%, resting Defoe was ridiculous. He hardly played in the winter and he can't play more than one game a week ? Joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say that the we didn't win because we didn't want to excuse is a refreshing new one.
    If only Caldwell could accidentally get his hands on that [brilliant] Mapp kick, we would need no excuse. :-)
    BTW, as unprofessional game from TO as it gets, in all aspects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the point of playing defoe when we have no midfield to get him the ball.it looked like both coaches are trying to save there job last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of playing Defoe is for him to score goals so we can win games. I was one of the mugs who paid good money to watch last night and I feel cheated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    next transfer window this team NEEEEDSSS to go after a pure AM..but again what did we expect in a game we have orr and hall in the midfield lol
    ORR has done great in the midfield. Did you not watch the NY game?. DE RO needed to start at AM , he does not have pace to be up top. The first half alone he couldn't get on 3 or 4 nice through balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I agree. If TFC wins this tournament, it will be thanks to our reserves. If we move on to the CCL, our B team will play most of the matches. In this particular season, I'm ok with that approach.

We really need to focus on the league fixtures. We've had success in the CCL before while being a league doormat, and our club was still considered a unanimous failure.
    If we had gone onto win in mexico instead of collapse things could be very different.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

You do realize for it to be unanimous it needs to be agreed upon by everyone? It's clearly not by some of the attitudes about CCL priority being displayed in here. I had no issue with doing better in the CCL than the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AMs don't have much place in a flat 4-4-2. Unless Nelsen suddenly sees the light and goes with another formation, I wouldn't expect to see an AM arrive in the next transfer window.

But I don't think that Nelsen doesn't take the CCL seriously. I think he is trying to manage the man-minutes over the next two weeks so he can grind out results in both MLS and CCL. TFC tied the 1st leg without their top team and are in a good place going into the next leg. If Nelsen sits his best players next Wednesday, then I'll know he doesn't take it seriously. I think we'll see Defoe and Moore start against Columbus, but they will platoon on Wednesday with Gilberto playing the other striker. Bekker and Warner will probably start on Saturday and sub on Wednesday, and Osorio will play in Montreal if he's available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    You do realize for it to be unanimous it needs to be agreed upon by everyone? It's clearly not by some of the attitudes about CCL priority being displayed in here. I had no issue with doing better in the CCL than the league.
    I'm well aware of the definition of unanimous. I was referring to the perception of our previous clubs.

Are you suggesting that some supporters considered any of our previous clubs a success?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    If we had gone onto win in mexico instead of collapse things could be very different.
    Maybe. But we started that season 0-9 in MLS. We went on to win the ACC again that season during our MLS record losing streak, and most supporters acknowledged what a joke it was at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Morgan had a decent 1st half in defending.

- No major mistakes by Henry and a solid, solid header. Well done.
    Doneils goal was a SOLID header, and that saved his game.

I can't stress how much he needs to work on his distribution out the back. I don't have the opta stats, but I counted 8x in the first half that he kicked the ball either out of bounds or to the impact...and that was under no pressure. For me Hagglund is still the starting CB alongside Caldwell.

I feel sorry for Gilberto because he's definitely affected by the hoof ball where he just chasing down everything, and I'm sure he's not used to that where as Defoe is.