Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Agreed. ensco makes it sound like it's a bad thing.
    What? Where?

I am tired of this. Oldtimer, whoever you are, you have done this repeatedly with posts of mine.

Stop. Enough.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boring, people can dig up anything to prove thier point or opinion. This thread is getting a little old now isn't it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Gilberto is here because he is trying to get to Europe.

He has to score a lot of goals to do that.

He didn't come for the camaderie, or the badge. Which we all have known from the beginning. No need to expect much on that front.
    I can live with that - as long as he's scoring goals while he's here i could care less if he celebrates when he scores or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is here because he is trying to get to Europe.

He has to score a lot of goals to do that.

He didn't come for the camaderie, or the badge. Which we all have known from the beginning. No need to expect much on that front.
    Seems to me facts are being stated and ensco offers no opinion what so ever other than for people not to expect a lot given those facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the idea of the "B" designated player was somebody that would could buy young, hype and sell at a profit. Didn't that mantra come straight from the FO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We talked about that number 9 role before. I think it could work and would be interested to see it happen - but a lot would have to change on this team to make that happen. It could be catering to 1 player over numerous players. but I would still like to see it have a go for a few matches.

You and I have had some good banter through the years without boiling over into an argument - So I pose this question to you because I know you won't fly off the hook:
    Do you get the sense that there is a connection loss between the team and Gilberto? After he scores I don't get that jubilation feel from the team when he scores that other players on the team get.
    I have not thought about it, but you could be right. I just have not paid attention to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I can live with that - as long as he's scoring goals while he's here i could care less if he celebrates when he scores or not.
    Reports say he had offers from Europe but we obviously had the better cashbook. It doesn't sound like a big priority to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't buy that he's looking to leave or that he's locker-room poison as a "fact" at this point, merely conjecture.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What? Where?

I am tired of this. Oldtimer, whoever you are, you have done this repeatedly with posts of mine.

Stop. Enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Seems to me facts are being stated and ensco offers no opinion what so ever other than for people not to expect a lot given those facts.
    That's all. Stating to not expect a lot is expecting a negative. It may be a true thing (or not), but it's a negative expectation. I wasn't making a big deal about it, just pointing that out.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto's work rate and playmaking abilities have been tremendous since day one in my opinion. It was only a matter of time before he started cashing in on his scoring opportunities given his pedigree.

I was always in the camp that preached patience, and I'm not the least bit surprised that he has turned it on since he broke his scoring slump in epic fashion against New York.

I think he has the ability to be one of the top strikers in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be kind of surprised if his teammates disliked him. I'd say they at least don't mind him. The celebration from his free kick goal included a lot of love from his teammates, as did his drop to his knees celebration on his first goal from open play. The last couple he's kind of ignored/been oblivious to anyone running up to celebrate with him, and been all business.

The guy also runs over to Nelsen every single goal and they get along.

Odurro said coming to TFC was cool because he didn't have to decide who to hang out with, the whole team gets along.

It irks me when people drop the locker room cancer rumors from "insider sources" when there is often no basis for it. The team looks pretty tight to me as an outsider, and I'm not too worried about locker room issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hai guys

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Gilberto's work rate and playmaking abilities have been tremendous since day one in my opinion. It was only a matter of time before he started cashing in on his scoring opportunities given his pedigree.
    That's pretty much why the subject of his output created so much discussion. What do you do in a situation where a guy brought in with a specific job in mind isn't producing the results you want, but still excelling in other aspects of the game? How much are you willing forgive (in this case the lack of goal-scoring) in exchange for a strong supporting capacity?

For me, putting the ball in the back of the net was always the priority for Gilberto and I will readily admit to saying just that:

I have no problem saying it. The guy was brought in specifically to score goals and he simply hasn't lived up to his billing. He's contributed in other ways, of course, but there's no comparison between him and our other primary striker, Defoe. "Flop" sorta suggests he's been a complete failure and I wouldn't go that far, but he's definitely been underwhelming.
    But you know what? You might be absolutely right, ManU. Perhaps that potential was always there and circumstances just needed to catch up with him. Either way, I'm most happy over the fact that we are no longer a club that has to rely almost exclusively on one player (Defoe) to generate the bulk of our goals.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 08-21-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is proof that as a fanbase we need to be more patient, especially given that many were judging him after only 8 or so games. People are too rash on here to expect great things from every single player, and immediately start asking for blood when a player takes a little longer to settle in.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were very few who actually said he should go. I thought the large majority was correct in their assessment that he needed to do better. Pointing out that obvious a fact shouldn't be construed as impatience IMO. Saying he should be shipped out would.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even after six years this thread had taught me a lot about the dynamics of this forum. I purposely chose a more controversial title to generate clicks, ergo conversation. But the first line was measured and pretty benign... but none of that mattered. Once again, this is the first sentience in my initial criticism.

Okay, it's been 10 games (including V-cup) and I think enough time has passed that we can begin to have the conversation of what to do with Gilberto.
    Not so scathing, but I wouldn't change my thought process if the next big signing takes so long to adjust. I'm glad Gilberto is scoring, but I still don't see out any of the cultural barrier excuses get him off the hook for some of those sitters. Now if only he had as many assists as Luke Moore. /s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Gilberto is proof that as a fanbase we need to be more patient, especially given that many were judging him after only 8 or so games. People are too rash on here to expect great things from every single player, and immediately start asking for blood when a player takes a little longer to settle in.

Right on Gooner. I'd go as far to say that is an exception that a player makes their biggest impact in season 1. In all my years following footy it's more common that transfrs take a year to fit in to a team. This has been the root of TFC's issues iMO - constant churn annualy of 90% of the roster and management. I'd like to see all three of the DP's stay next season. Just need a few tweaks and the continued development of the young players and we will be even better next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    That's pretty much why the subject of his output created so much discussion. What do you do in a situation where a guy brought in with a specific job in mind isn't producing the results you want, but still excelling in other aspects of the game? How much are you willing forgive (in this case the lack of goal-scoring) in exchange for a strong supporting capacity?

For me, putting the ball in the back of the net was always the priority for Gilberto and I will readily admit to saying just that:

But you know what? You might be absolutely right, ManU. Perhaps that potential was always there and circumstances just needed to catch up with him. Either way, I'm most happy over the fact that we are no longer a club that has to rely almost exclusively on one player (Defoe) to generate the bulk of our goals.
    I was always in the camp that said that his play making him abilities were such that I though he was great for the team. But because I would usually be on the other side, that is a striker should score I understood it. However, I just so Gilberto do so much that I thought he was contributing like no one else in creating offense over then Defoe, and always believed that he would start scoring, because the amount of chances he was getting, and how he was missing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as judging him to early, I am not sure that it was, sure you should give a player a game or two, but sometimes a player goes out there, and right away he shows nothing, sometimes you just do not need all that long to judge. But it is not just about the results but the overall, if gilberto were not scoring, were not creating, not running, pushed of the ball like a father, was in wrong positions all the time, and the chances that he did get he would sky over the net each time, then after a couple of games I would have been calling for his head as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's all. Stating to not expect a lot is expecting a negative. It may be a true thing (or not), but it's a negative expectation. I wasn't making a big deal about it, just pointing that out.
    Nowhere did he say "don't expect a lot." You're both reading things into what he's saying, which is why he's annoyed.

In fact, he said the polar opposite. He said we should expect Gilberto to go all out if he wants to move to Europe, because he needs to score goals to do it.

Many of the discussions in this thread are similar to others that turn into larger debates on this board (and in any community); they're based on people's perceptions of other people, sizing up their opinions without actually reading what they're saying literally. I know it's human nature to assume people always have some hidden agenda they're not discussing, but it's an unhealthy way to have a discussion.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-21-2014 at 12:54 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Nowhere did he say "don't expect a lot." You're both reading things into what he's saying, which is why he's annoyed.
    May be true. However speaking on someone else's behalf muddies the waters even more, unless you've spoken to them personally and know what you say to be a fact.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May be true. However speaking on someone else's behalf muddies the waters even more, unless you've spoken to them personally and know what you say to be a fact.
    No it doesn't. He got it exactly right.

You obviously twisted what I said it to its exact opposite meaning, then decided to be a know-it-all who is never wrong, even in the face of the obvious. You've done it to me three or four times now, it is seriously tiresome.

btw using some new invented or twisted logic to seek the last word ... it's kind of pathetic.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I actually agree with ensco. And by "a lot" I meant staying forever and coming for the camaraderie and the badge. Which he did say. And he's right. But whatever. If this was even for me.

I'm not going get into another thing. Just for reference I think his point was well taken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Right on Gooner. I'd go as far to say that is an exception that a player makes their biggest impact in season 1. In all my years following footy it's more common that transfrs take a year to fit in to a team. This has been the root of TFC's issues iMO - constant churn annualy of 90% of the roster and management. I'd like to see all three of the DP's stay next season. Just need a few tweaks and the continued development of the young players and we will be even better next year.
    But... Keep in mind MLS rosters have a fair amount of churn to begin with and a lot of our players went on to do nothing special in the league (or no longer play pro). All the stability in the world wasn't going to help a lot of these guys.

In the best of my estimation, outside of the year 3 roster with an unsustainable Mo Edu allocation fuelled payroll, we never had a team that had the quality to hit the post season, regardless of how long they may or may not have been given to settle.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it doesn't. He got it exactly right.

You obviously twisted what I said it to its exact opposite meaning, then decided to be a know-it-all who is never wrong, even in the face of the obvious. You've done it to me three or four times now, it is seriously tiresome.

btw using some new invented or twisted logic to seek the last word ... it's kind of pathetic.
    Nah... I'll accept your word on it. My apologies... it was a misunderstanding on my part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah... I'll accept your word on it. My apologies... it was a misunderstanding on my part.
    Appreciate that. Thanks.

Apologies if I came on strong there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No

Four goals in 4 games now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CLOSE THIS THREAD!

CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!

CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!

(Being facetious here)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread would naturally fall down the page, if people would let it.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This thread would naturally fall down the page, if people would let it.

Yeah but it's more fun this way