Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's a lot of pressure to be the next focus for all the Brazil fans that showed up to BMO to see Cesar. I hope Gilberto gives us all something to sing about as early as Friday.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could Gilberto really be moved in the summer window even if Bez wanted to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Could Gilberto really be moved in the summer window even if Bez wanted to?
    Theoretically yes but i see less than 0% chance that happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Soccerway has him at 3 as well.
    So do the official MLS stats - at least they did when I looked earlier today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    So do the official MLS stats - at least they did when I looked earlier today.
    I think we can safely say he's on three goals at this point, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Theoretically yes but i see less than 0% chance that happens.
    I'd say the odds are even less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Okay, no Kenny Cooper. The guy has identity issues. He is 6'3, built stocky and super powerful, but refuses to play a target role. Instead he drifts to the corner with the ball or sits atop the 18 to use his quick feet to do the job for him....
    Probably the worst player in MLS with his back to the net.
    Hold on who is 6-3???? Gilberto ???? He is like 5-10 1/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Hold on who is 6-3???? Gilberto ???? He is like 5-10 1/2

??? really? You really need to read all the comments. Kenny Cooper is 6'3" he is clearly talking about Kenny Cooper... which is why he says... Okay no Kenny Cooper. .... then says The guy has identity issues. He is 6'3"....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Really???????? That is why I was asking for clarification.

Too many read insults or putdowns in every comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Trane. The post wasn't entirely clear. No need to jump all over him for simply asking a question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I love spirited debate on these boards, do not like were people get needlessly offended over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He writes Kenny Cooper first then he says 'he'.
    He could obviously only be talking about the guy he just mentioned.
    My 0.02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I love spirited debate on these boards, do not like were people get needlessly offended over it.
    agreed. wasn't that clear to me either.

Urruti is definitely on three (in seven starts). My bad. Still, not bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Patience in sport does not exist in Toronto. Actually, I don't think it's limited to just sport.

I suppose it would be preferred by a swath of you, for a player to arrive here, do all the important things wrong, but pot a bunch of goals despite it all. Yes? Then, when reality catches up to them, things fall apart and they can't produce when it matters, you'll be saying what then?

A real life comparison? The 2013-14 Toronto Maple Leafs season. Remember when they got results despite playing rather bottom end hockey? How'd that turn out? Right.

This thread makes me literally LOL.

Ryan dude, he is a dp striker. 'the important stuff' is scoring and assisting goals. That's his role. Its not a bonus that is less important than good off the ball positioning, movement, passing and defensive play. Sure all these things make a good player, but fulfilling your role withing the team would top the list in my book.

Doing all the important things wrong but potting a few goals just doesnt make sense here, because potting a few goals IS the important stuff.

There are people who are claiming that he is showing brilliance, style, intelligence etc... None of these things complete a striker. You know what does.

Is our fledgling DP better suited to another role? maybe, but we shouldnt have to pay DP money to find that out.

Im not sure who or what youre comparing to the leafs, but what i get from the comparison, is that were playing bottom end football and somehow scraping some results?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody think that Gilberto just 'doesnt have the ability' to score goals? Or can we see goals coming from him?

I have seen enough to think that he CAN score goals, and can definitely do so at MLS level. I wouldn't compare him to Chad Barrett, as Gilberto seems far more intellegent with his runs and overall play. Barrett scored a few goals just due to graft and effort. But Gilberto seems more more than just effort.

I think some people forget that Gilberto has not only changed leagues, but also country. I see very few players move whole countries and hit the ground sprinting and scoring goals. I remember Thierry Henry first going to Arsenal and getting terrible reviews! But once he's got used to the league and new country, the rest was history! It isn't easy moving to a new country and immediately fit in.

We also can't really compare Gilberto to Urruti - Urruti has had half a season longer than Gilberto, he's more advanced getting used to the MLS. Give Gilberto than 6 months more, he will be scoring goals too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this thread is flop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well what should I read from you? You have a history of it.

and if Gilberto is 5'10 and Cooper is 6'3"... and the guy is 6'3"... why would you call him out for getting Gilberto's height wrong.. which of course he didn't.

He mentions Cooper.. mentions Coopers height, talks about Coopers play... and you weren't clear that he was talking about Cooper?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think this thread is flop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Does anybody think that Gilberto just 'doesnt have the ability' to score goals? Or can we see goals coming from him?

I have seen enough to think that he CAN score goals, and can definitely do so at MLS level. I wouldn't compare him to Chad Barrett, as Gilberto seems far more intellegent with his runs and overall play. Barrett scored a few goals just due to graft and effort. But Gilberto seems more more than just effort. I'd say he's a hell of a lot more apt than Thierry Henry going to Arsenal.

I think some people forget that Gilberto has not only changed leagues, but also country. I see very few players move whole countries and hit the ground sprinting and scoring goals. I remember Thierry Henry first going to Arsenal and getting terrible reviews! But once he's got used to the league and new country, the rest was history! It isn't easy moving to a new country and immediately fit in.

We also can't really compare Gilberto to Urruti - Urruti has had half a season longer than Gilberto, he's more advanced getting used to the MLS. Give Gilberto than 6 months more, he will be scoring goals too.
    Gilberto looks the part but seems to be lacking confidence. I'd love to see him break this slump but there is a degree of urgency since we know Defoe is prone to injury. If Gilberto wasn't a DP he wouldn't be under such scrutiny to perform. You said Max Uruuti had more time to adjust in MLS but I'd hardly call 350 minutes between two teams much of a head start.

Either way, I hope he silences the critics against Kansas City. With their back line being in shambles he and Defoe should have a field day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Well what should I read from you? You have a history of it.

and if Gilberto is 5'10 and Cooper is 6'3"... and the guy is 6'3"... why would you call him out for getting Gilberto's height wrong.. which of course he didn't.

He mentions Cooper.. mentions Coopers height, talks about Coopers play... and you weren't clear that he was talking about Cooper?
    How the hell was calling him out??? When I insult someone it is not all that hidden or passive aggressive. The mods can vouch for that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the hell was calling him out??? When I insult someone it is not all that hidden or passive aggressive. The mods can vouch for that.
    Jesus, seriously, trane is the most delightfully unsubtle person in the history of these boards.

This is one of these threads where I feel like there really isn't much real disagreement. Some guys think he will bust loose, some don't see it, but if we're still here 5 games from now, 90%+ will be ready for Plan B.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling out and insulting are two different things.

You choose to assume he must be wrong, and assume he was talking about a player even though his entire post pointed to Cooper, and a simple check of Coopers Height would have cleared it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personaly think this thread is Shite Gilberto has done everything but score he has set up goals he has also been running up and dpwn the field and seems to be a decent team player from what I see. The season is still young, and TFC are still in transiton mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Calling out and insulting are two different things.

You choose to assume he must be wrong, and assume he was talking about a player even though his entire post pointed to Cooper, and a simple check of Coopers Height would have cleared it up.
    Its all good. I forgive.
    But just for the record, I was talking about Gilberto.... (I kid, oh I kid)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe all the confusion is because Gilberto plays like he's 6'3. Great touch and no finish. Ohhhh I dun did it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the over/under of 5 goals, I'll take the over every day of the week. I'm with Trane, I'll say he scores 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is not a flop.
    Jesus, so quick to judge.
    He would be a flop if he wasnt trying, wasnt moving, wasnt competing, wasnt getting chances....but not scoring for a new club, learning the langauge, the City, his teammates.....he is trying. he isnt a flop. For Gods sake, some of you are so quick to label a footballer, no wonder players get sick of this shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think players read message boards. If they do, they're probably not too serious about being professional footballers.

And for the record, I don't think anyone has come out and said he is in fact a 100% demonstrated flop. But after two months the worries are justified and I was curious who else felt the same way. And how many people will switch sides if the same form persists another month, and then another...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto has played 8 full games. If Defo goes on a dry spell of 8 games in the middle of this season, will everybody suddenly be calling him a flop? Chances are Defoe will go on a dry spell, most strikers do at some point in the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of the things I hear people saying to defend him are pretty subjective. In other words, you can see what you want to see. Any of the hard evidence (goals/assists for example), just doesn't bear out that he's in for a turnaround. Anyone have any passing stats or chances created stats, etc, that might give us some hope?