Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe jus maybe there is not a big market for him...players like him are a dime a doz around the world.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm not trying to be cynical, but based on his form in the second half last season, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he scored 15-20 goals for another MLS club if he gets proper service from the midfield. Regardless of Altidore's performance, that would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

TFC has been lauded by the league office for raising the profile of MLS internationally and setting a new precedent with all of our recent off season acquisitions, and we're going to get screwed for the second fucking year in a row as a result.

It's pure BS as far as I'm concerned.
    15-20 isn't cynical at all. Quite optimistic, really.

Have a peek at the top goalscorers in the league this year and you'll see as I did what kind of uphill battle it would be for Gila to not just get that service but he has to get to a team where he's getting a lot of that service EXCLUSIVELY. Not saying it couldn't happen but also I don't mind him doing well as long as it isn't vs us.

Players success have a lot to do with the timing not just the chemistry. He didn't have enough time here to show us his best but this isn't the year to take MORE chances after the unprecedented disappointment from not realizing our "on paper" potential.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/bezba...ow_ids=1619401

By the sounds of it, Gilberto is being shopped around the league due to league wanting to keep Gilberto in MLS. I'm going to laugh if Gilberto is traded to Vancouver for a bag of magic beans
    Right, but that is only one of 3 options stated by Bez. A second is for TFC to keep Gilberto. A third is to loan [or something else] him outside of MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Also why all the Chicken Little about our upcoming season all on one player who's stay here will be considered a flop here as soon as he's traded?
    I think it's just PTSD from living through the last 8 seasons. Everyone WANTS to believe that this is TFC's year, but past experience and what seems like a repeat of last-year's signings hoopla and a player being pushed out and thriving elsewhere makes fans think that it will all end in tears again, because they've never seen anything different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Well that's most likely case if it's MLS stopping TFC loaning or selling Gilberto overseas.

I believe Vancouver gave TFC money equal to transfer fee that TFC paid to get Laba from his Argentine club plus piece of transfer fee that MLS/Whitecaps get when/if they sell Laba overseas in the future (similar to Portland deal with Urruti)
    It could also be the Brazilian clubs don't have it in the budget or are not interested. I don't know Vasco well, but to the best of my recollection they are not rich, at least compared to the other rio clubs (except maybe botafogo)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS front office revenge for Altidore not going to NYRB??

Just a thought...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I think it's just PTSD from living through the last 8 seasons. Everyone WANTS to believe that this is TFC's year, but past experience and what seems like a repeat of last-year's signings hoopla and a player being pushed out and thriving elsewhere makes fans think that it will all end in tears again, because they've never seen anything different.
    QFT!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    MLS front office revenge for Altidore not going to NYRB??

Just a thought...
    exactly my thought. I think Bez had enough friends at MLS FO to push Altidore for Defoe swap through, but he probably burnt a lot of bridges and pissed off quite a few people
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things.

1: Gilberto was never a long term thing. If Altidore is (which sounds possible) then trading up makes perfect sense.

2: if the league wants to keep Gilberto it's probably because they think they can sell him for more money in a year or two. It's their.

As an aside - does anyone (meaning Yohan :-) ) know - if an MLS team pays a transfer fee for a player, and then that player gets sold on - do they recoup the transfer fee, or is that a sunk cost?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Two things.

1: Gilberto was never a long term thing. If Altidore is (which sounds possible) then trading up makes perfect sense.

2: if the league wants to keep Gilberto it's probably because they think they can sell him for more money in a year or two. It's their.

As an aside - does anyone (meaning Yohan :-) ) know - if an MLS team pays a transfer fee for a player, and then that player gets sold on - do they recoup the transfer fee, or is that a sunk cost?
    A portion of the sell-on; they don't get the original transfer back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC fully paid the Gilberto transfer themselves without league assistance it's completely retarded for the league to prevent TFC from moving the player how they want, it just seems so backward especially in the case of DPs where the club has fronted the whole transfer to bring the player in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's most likely case if it's MLS stopping TFC loaning or selling Gilberto overseas.

I believe Vancouver gave TFC money equal to transfer fee that TFC paid to get Laba from his Argentine club plus piece of transfer fee that MLS/Whitecaps get when/if they sell Laba overseas in the future (similar to Portland deal with Urruti)

/START TIN FOIL HAT RANT

If this is true, and if you think about it, it's a rather ingenious way for a rich club to circumvent the DP and salary cap rules.

TFC could be playing league agent and signing ~ 1 million $ type south american players to be 'flipped' on to other MLS clubs a year later for more allocation room, higher draft picks, international slots, etc... all while keeping their 3 DP slots open and used for progressively better players.

It only works, of the guys you are giving away are replaced with better DP players. And if everything is kept under wraps and no one can ever possibly know the real deals being made. It's a win for the league and TFC as whole as everyone comes out looking like the potential winner.

Laba, Urruti, AND Gilberto? I'm starting to see a trend....

/END TIN FOIL HAT RANT

Side Note: Until the league is transparent in their financial dealings they are inviting mockery, speculation, and fan frustration at every level.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm not trying to be cynical, but based on his form in the second half last season, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he scored 15-20 goals for another MLS club if he gets proper service from the midfield. Regardless of Altidore's performance, that would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

TFC has been lauded by the league office for raising the profile of MLS internationally and setting a new precedent with all of our recent off season acquisitions, and we're going to get screwed for the second fucking year in a row as a result.

It's pure BS as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're going to get nothing for him, same as Laba.

Other than the wasted transfer, this doesn't really matter.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We're going to get nothing for him, same as Laba.

Other than the wasted transfer, this doesn't really matter.
    I believe we got money from Whitecaps for Laba. So we will get something for Gilberto, but question is what? Money? Picks? Players?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe we got money from Whitecaps for Laba. So we will get something for Gilberto, but question is what? Money? Picks? Players?
    We also get a cut of any future Laba sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    We also get a cut of any future Laba sale.
    Yes, this is true. So I except we will get the same deal with Gilberto if he ends up on MLS team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people think any MLS team wants Gilberto on his current deal? Laba and Gilberto are totally different, because Laba wasn't on $1M contract. Gilberto did nothing last year to prove he was worth that kind of dough.

I said the same with Defoe and was wrong, but I suspect what is going on is that Gilberto's contract is not movable without TFC eating a lot of it.

I truly don't know the right price for a player like this.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-07-2015 at 08:57 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New country, new team... Gilberto has a year under his belt and his second half of the season was fantastic. We are really setting him up to have a huge season with another MLS side. Altidore and Bradley make a combined 12 million per year, while Gilberto and Laba earn less then 2 million... If one of these player injures at the U.S friendlies or Gold Cup or doesn't perform and Gilberto goes and scores 15 goals all hell will break loose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    New country, new team... Gilberto has a year under his belt and his second half of the season was fantastic. We are really setting him up to have a huge season with another MLS side. Altidore and Bradley make a combined 12 million per year, while Gilberto and Laba earn less then 2 million... If one of these player injures at the U.S friendlies or Gold Cup or doesn't perform and Gilberto goes and scores 15 goals all hell will break loose.
    QFT!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't afford the cap hit of his contract.

So off he goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An investor group is looking into assisting Vasco in buying Gilberto
    https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. If they can get money, then TFC can sell Gilberto and get their money back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that the article states Vasco has reached an agreement with Gilberto on salary already, if all else fails, sell him for peanuts, just not within MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Interesting that the article states Vasco has reached an agreement with Gilberto on salary already, if all else fails, sell him for peanuts, just not within MLS.
    That's my opinion as well, if we're only going to get a little Garber bucks for a sell on anyways, then dump him on Vasco for whatever they can get and write the transfer fee off. Don't let the player potentially burn us within the league. The problem is yet again if we do move him within the league we've hamstrung ourselves in any type of potentially decent return for the player. Very frustrating in some regards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. If they can get money, then TFC can sell Gilberto and get their money back.
    The league gets the money and TFC get a portion of it back in allocation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The league gets the money and TFC get a portion of it back in allocation
    No.

If MLSE paid the whole original fee then MLS only gets a cut on any profit. MLSE buy for 3.5 and sell for 5m then MLS would get a cut of the 1.5m profit. The remainder of the cash goes to the team and they can convert some of it to allocation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the deal with transfer profits that the team gets some portion of it back as Garber Fun Bucks to spend on our roster, and some of it back as money to be spent upgrading facilities and stuff (like the grass we installed with the Edu money)?
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, a max of 650k can be converted to allocation.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post

Um Hell broke loose when Defoe and Gilberto didn't get us into playoffs.

Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER