Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I joked about it another thread, but lets do it, take away the number 9 shirt, and give him a 10.

I think that at the minimum he will get 10 goals and 10 assists this year.
    Drop him back and play a true 4-4-1-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does not struggle to finish empty net chances, he put himself in great positions, and he just misses.

Clearly he needs to start scoring, but his quality is clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Drop him back and play a true 4-4-1-1
    Yep. Would work. Or put him up top and Defoe and the new English dude, behind him in 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree, he would create allot of opportunities for the SS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    it is quite laughable that you still don't get that Cahill and Dempsey were brought in to score goals...some of the best goal scorers in the world, don't play striker
    What he does not get, or chooses to ignore is that both Cahill and Dempsey are AM/SS (as Yohan pointed out) and they are both expected to score goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. Would work. Or put him up top and Defoe and the new English dude, behind him in 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree, he would create allot of opportunities for the SS.
    He hasn't taken too many long range chances either, which seem to be where he scored more goals if the highlight reels are representative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    This thread is asking the question if he's a flop. Not an outright statement that he's failed. You've got admit that we have cause for concern. The man is obviously skilled but if he struggles to bag empty netters then something is wrong. I agree that it's not time to pull him yet, but it's not just me that is having reservations. Nelsen is subbing him off earlier and earlier lately.

And to the cheerleaders who can't handle a conversation about the negative sides of this football team: Deal with it. Life isn't all sunshine.
    Be it here or on twitter or in the comments on Facebook, there are quite a few people that have already written him off.

And I don't know if anyone else noticed on Saturday but he seemed to be struggling with a back/hip issue. He came to the sideline for treatment twice and was favoring his side during the game, I thought that played into Nelsen subbing him off.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hip Flex injures are nasty and usually take a long time to recover from and that is what he had pre season.

He seemed to be fine post game when I saw him.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, didn't realized he'd picked up a hip injury. That certainly changes my perception of him being subbed off in the 65th and 55th minute two games in a row.

I'm really hoping he'll be able to bag one while some of the teams are weakened due to the world cup break. That might not happen with a hip flexor strain (or whatever the specifics are).

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, didn't realized he'd picked up a hip injury. That certainly changes my perception of him being subbed off in the 65th and 55th minute two games in a row.

I'm really hoping he'll be able to bag one while some of the teams are weakened due to the world cup break. That might not happen with a hip flexor strain (or whatever the specifics are).
    Its why he was eased in pre season. They can be quite an ordeal to recover from so I would suspect its bothering him at certain points in the game.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Its why he was eased in pre season. They can be quite an ordeal to recover from so I would suspect its bothering him at certain points in the game.
    I've had one the past six months and it's a real nuisance. Of course I've never fully stopped, which is what the physiotherapist said is the only way it'll heal. Really affects my shot. Can't get any power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I've had one the past six months and it's a real nuisance. Of course I've never fully stopped, which is what the physiotherapist said is the only way it'll heal. Really affects my shot. Can't get any power.
    I had the same thing 3 years ago. It mostly effected my push off when I was attempting to start running/sprinting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same thing 3 years ago. It mostly effected my push off when I was attempting to start running/sprinting.
    Oh yeah, totally does that too. I have the pick up of an elephant now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#beardsforgilberto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Ensco said it earlier. Standings look fine. How they are playing has people (that are expecting playoffs) worried. Just like the Leafs.
    Not at all like the Leafs. The standings looked good but their terrible corsi/fenwick suggested a big time negative regression.

Unlike the leafs, TFC's TSR is actually pretty good, and combined with our position in the table bodes well for the rest of the season.

L'Impact from last season are a better comparision - good league standings but a terrible TSR. Regression was a bitch for them!

One could try and make the argument that possession is more predictive than TSR (by all means give it a go), and therefore TFC should expect a drop due to poor poss %. Although good luck with that.

CSN has been updating league TSR since week 6 I think, for those that are interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is quite laughable that you still don't get that Cahill and Dempsey were brought in to score goals...some of the best goal scorers in the world, don't play striker
    They were not brought in to score goals, they were brought in to create goals. Whether they score or not is irrelevant. Do New York and Seattle score more goals with Cahill and Dempsey on the field? Yes. Have they ever finished a season as the top scorers on their team? I'll take a wild guess and say no.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dero is a good example of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    They were not brought in to score goals, they were brought in to create goals. Whether they score or not is irrelevant. Do New York and Seattle score more goals with Cahill and Dempsey on the field? Yes. Have they ever finished a season as the top scorers on their team? I'll take a wild guess and say no.
    Dempsey finished with the third most goals for tottenham his season with them. He finished behind Defoe and Bale, who is not a striker either.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He does not struggle to finish empty net chances, he put himself in great positions, and he just misses.

Clearly he needs to start scoring, but his quality is clear.
    This reminds me of how Chad Barrett played while in Toronto.

Some guys got the scoring touch and others don't. I'm not saying he doesn't have the touch but Gilberto isn't finishing off clear cut chances. They are not striker goals he is missing, they are anybody goals! little more than tap in's in a few chances.

This is the same issue had with other internationals that we have had. They were good players who cost a shit ton of money - at what point do you just spend less cash on an MLS version of that player.

Gilberto is in a very forward position and he only has 1 assist to his name.
    So if he's not scoring and he's not assisting...again I ask the question - at what point do you bring in an MLS level player to do the same job. Designated player roster slot being spent on a striker who doesn't score.

I give him to the end of the season. Then I start calling for his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dempsy has not played a full season for Seattle yet, and was pretty bad last season. This year he leads the team in goals so far with 8. Dempsy was Fulhams to scorer in 2011/12 and tied for 4th place in the EPL overall that year. To suggest he is not here to score goals is flat out wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dempsy also lead the league for shots and is second for shots on goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Dero is a good example of this.
    DeRo is one of the best goalscorers in the world? Could've fooled me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Dempsy has not played a full season for Seattle yet, and was pretty bad last season. This year he leads the team in goals so far with 8. Dempsy was Fulhams to scorer in 2011/12 and tied for 4th place in the EPL overall that year. To suggest he is not here to score goals is flat out wrong.
    Seattle is 4-1 when Dempsey doesn't score. But in those games he has 3 assists. The 1 loss coming when he didn't have an assist. It doesn't matter if Dempsey scores as long as he creates chances. Yet our striker (Gilberto) has no goals and 1 assist in 9 games with a 4-4-1 record. If we didn't have Defoe i'm pretty sure alot of people wouldn't be 'patient' with Gilberto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle is 4-1 when Dempsey doesn't score. But in those games he has 3 assists. The 1 loss coming when he didn't have an assist. It doesn't matter if Dempsey scores as long as he creates chances. Yet our striker (Gilberto) has no goals and 1 assist in 9 games with a 4-4-1 record. If we didn't have Defoe i'm pretty sure alot of people wouldn't be 'patient' with Gilberto.
    I think this is true, but luckily we are in a position to have a bit of patience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't Gilberto have 2 assists?

Jackson goal v Revs & Defoe goal v Caps?

You could say Defoes goal against DC counts as an assist as it was off his rebound.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DeRo is one of the best goalscorers in the world? Could've fooled me
    Well, one of the best in North America lol

But guys who have made a mark as an Attacking Mid or other parts of the midfield: Cristiano Ronaldo, Diego Maradona, George Best, Socrates, Frank Lampard, Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of people comparing Dempsey and Cahill to Gilberto is quite laughable. In that case, let's get rid of Bradley.....he ain't scoring enough.
    yes, get rid of bradley too, if your one and only criteria is goal scoring, which seems to be the case for all of the gilberto haters here ... the rest of the thread has some more reasonable and lucid commentary about gilberto's all-round strengths, and is far more credible than those who see nothing but a zero under goals scored.

for those calling gilberto a flop ... beyond looking only at his lack of goals, how many of you are actually watching what he does off the ball? how many of you are considering how little possession our team has? or how pathetic our (counter) attack truly is? do you think defoe is scoring all by himself, with no help from others, and that gilberto should do the same? for what it's worth, i don't think defoe gets his 5 goals at this point if moore or weideman or dero are his partner out there.

and are none of you impressed when gilberto makes a recovery run into the defensive third and pops up to support a defender who is pressuring the ball? or pressures the ball himself with defenders supporting him? happens frequently, and it is impressive, and something you don't often see from strikers in any formation. but he has not yet scored a goal himself, so he's obviously a worthless DP. just like mista, of course. gawd.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shudder to think of consistant service being played into the box from the wings for this guy and Defoe. Right now we are lucky that Defoe has been able to edge out what he has IMO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    yes, get rid of bradley too, if your one and only criteria is goal scoring, which seems to be the case for all of the gilberto haters here ... the rest of the thread has some more reasonable and lucid commentary about gilberto's all-round strengths, and is far more credible than those who see nothing but a zero under goals scored.

for those calling gilberto a flop ... beyond looking only at his lack of goals, how many of you are actually watching what he does off the ball? how many of you are considering how little possession our team has? or how pathetic our (counter) attack truly is? do you think defoe is scoring all by himself, with no help from others, and that gilberto should do the same? for what it's worth, i don't think defoe gets his 5 goals at this point if moore or weideman or dero are his partner out there.

and are none of you impressed when gilberto makes a recovery run into the defensive third and pops up to support a defender who is pressuring the ball? or pressures the ball himself with defenders supporting him? happens frequently, and it is impressive, and something you don't often see from strikers in any formation. but he has not yet scored a goal himself, so he's obviously a worthless DP. just like mista, of course. gawd.
    I've seen him run so far back that he is behind the defensive line defending balls and then slowly jogs back up on the ensuing counter attack.
    A striker who ends up being last man back leaving the already thin attacking options even thinner.

He's not a perfect player. For everything he does well, he also does some other things just as poorly.
    Maybe high level MLS quality player, but as we speak he is not DP money worthy.

I wouldn't compare him to Mista - that is just being a sensationalist IMO. Mista brought absolutely nothing to the park. Gilberto does have his qualities, but they are not DP money qualities at this point.

Keep in mind Gilberto is only 24 years old and hasn't been taught the higher quality aspects of football like Dempsy/Defoe/Martins/Blanco/Bradley/Angel or many of the other high profiled DP's of the past. These guys learned the game on the biggest stages the world has to offer before coming to MLS and being considered DP quality.

Do you really believe he will learn those aspects in the MLS playing on TFC that will allow him to rise above the rest of the leagues talent and into the DP level status?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I've seen him run so far back that he is behind the defensive line defending balls and then slowly jogs back up on the ensuing counter attack.
    A striker who ends up being last man back leaving the already thin attacking options even thinner.

He's not a perfect player. For everything he does well, he also does some other things just as poorly.
    Maybe high level MLS quality player, but as we speak he is not DP money worthy.

I wouldn't compare him to Mista - that is just being a sensationalist IMO. Mista brought absolutely nothing to the park. Gilberto does have his qualities, but they are not DP money qualities at this point.

Keep in mind Gilberto is only 24 years old and hasn't been taught the higher quality aspects of football like Dempsy/Defoe/Martins/Blanco/Bradley/Angel or many of the other high profiled DP's of the past. These guys learned the game on the biggest stages the world has to offer before coming to MLS and being considered DP quality.

Do you really believe he will learn those aspects in the MLS playing on TFC that will allow him to rise above the rest of the leagues talent and into the DP level status
    ?
    I've read this a few times and I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Also, what of other MLS DPs like Valeri, Sabborio, Laba, Morales and Diaz? They come from similar backgrounds to Gilberto and do just fine as DPs in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ no pleasing some people ... forward player helps defensively, which results in a counter-attack, and the forward is then criticized for not being part of the attack, ugh.