Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    That free kick incident when defoe was being a prick
    Defoe won the free kick and he is a bpl quality... remember gilberto hadn't scored at all up to that point in the season. I think it was gilberto being the prick...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anybody notice that Gilberto got a touch on Hagglund's second goal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Did anybody notice that Gilberto got a touch on Hagglund's second goal?
    MLS did apparently. He's credited with an assist on it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sitter notwithstanding, Gilberto had another good game, contributing a lot to our offensive thrust, and showing some fancy footwork, at times, to keep hold of the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was poor today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He missed the sitter but I noticed good movement from him leading to a pass that would open up play several times. And as usual he worked like a dog; won a crucial free kick in stoppage time that led to us killing two full minutes off the clock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who would you have rather seen in last night's match...the Gilberto of the last few months, or, the "six million" dollar man????
    No brainer for me.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    So who would you have rather seen in last night's match...the Gilberto of the last few months, or, the "six million" dollar man????
    No brainer for me.
    I'd have loved to have had him in there, but Defoe was obviously rusty after the long layoff so you can't be too hard on him. We had more than our share of chances and, on another night, we probably would have scored three. We just couldn't get it done when it mattered.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'd have loved to have had him in there, but Defoe was obviously rusty after the long layoff so you can't be too hard on him. We had more than our share of chances and, on another night, we probably would have scored three. We just couldn't get it done when it mattered.
    Defoe definitely was showing rust. Should have had two. Agreed, had Deric not had his career night we could have easily won. As for not getting it done when it mattered, I'm sure we all would have loved to have seen more urgency/hunger from the team in the first half. Slow starts have been a trend. Vanney has mentioned it since taking over, but, the message just doesn't seem to be getting across. Guess my main reason for bringing this up is, say what you want about Gilberto, the passion that he brings to each game just isn't there in Defoe.
    Two completely different styles, I know, but we need the fire in the eyes now. We really need it Saturday, nothing less than a win.
    I keep saying it, the lads never really became a TEAM this year. Flashes of it, here and there, but overall way too much looking at "the other guy" when things have gone wrong.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    Defoe definitely was showing rust. Should have had two. Agreed, had Deric not had his career night we could have easily won. As for not getting it done when it mattered, I'm sure we all would have loved to have seen more urgency/hunger from the team in the first half. Slow starts have been a trend. Vanney has mentioned it since taking over, but, the message just doesn't seem to be getting across. Guess my main reason for bringing this up is, say what you want about Gilberto, the passion that he brings to each game just isn't there in Defoe.
    Two completely different styles, I know, but we need the fire in the eyes now. We really need it Saturday, nothing less than a win.
    I keep saying it, the lads never really became a TEAM this year. Flashes of it, here and there, but overall way too much looking at "the other guy" when things have gone wrong.
    Agreed. I love Gilberto's balls-to-the-wall style of play, but perhaps that's why they kept him out. If he truly has a micro-tear in his hamstring, I don't think he would be able to take his foot off the gas and still be effective. That means he needs to be healthy to have an impact.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Defoe said that he doesn't want Gilberto on the field with him?

In a "Must Win" game last night he wasn't even on the bench.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Has Defoe said that he doesn't want Gilberto on the field with him?

In a "Must Win" game last night he wasn't even on the bench.
    lol. you think we'll ever find out if Defoe or Gilberto said this?

close we'll ever get is Gilberto saying Defoe has to earn his spot back
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there are any shifty stuff in this case with Gilberto. During the Portland match he was clearly having some hamstring issues. The micro tear thing seems logical. The only shifty stuff was the old 'lower body' injury stuff Vanney went on about all week. Since it was officially announced as a micro tear then I expect Ol' Gil to be shut down soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Shut down, as in he's out for the season likely?

Our attack is so frigging anemic without him unless Oduro or Jackson have one of the rare games where they play out of their minds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would of loved to see Gilberto's attempt near the end of the game Bradley had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney and Bez comment on Gilberto today

For now, the club stressed that they were committed to Gilberto.

“We think we have now a combination of forwards and midfielders that can unlock defenses,” Bezbatchenko said. “But, we're always looking for new players to improve our roster. Always. We need competition in all spots but were not afraid to say that we are looking for an attacking midfielder. It doesn't always have to be a No 10 – there are creative players that can play out wide, up front. So, we're looking.”

Greg Vanney echoed his GM's thoughts.

“He's a part of our club. Like always we're always listening...but Gilberto he's with us and I think this year is a year he can really break out and score goals in this league.”

Vanney went on to suggest that the chemistry between Gilberto and Defoe last year might have held the Brazilian back.

“I think it's always a problem. If you're going to have your three DPs it's critical that they compliment each other, they can work together and you don't have different ideas on the field. That was always a challenge. There was no secret in that. I also thought there was some personality conflict between the two of them. This is an opportunity to start fresh with guys that are young and fresh and invested in this.”

He doesn't see the same issues with Altidore.

“I do believe (Gilberto and Altidore) can work together. I also believe they'll be an incredible handful for any centreback pairing. Both of them are strong. Both of them can get behind. I think they tend to drift off in different spaces at times. Jozy likes to drift to the left side and then attack the goal from there and Gilberto likes to run channels a little bit more. They can play off of each other.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Vanney and Bez comment on Gilberto today
    I don't buy the claim that Defoe and Gilberto didn't play well together - I don't think they played together enough to really say. I remember what may have been Gilberto's first game with him when he set up Defoe beautifully a couple of times and Defoe didn't finish. Might have set a different tone for the relationship if they had gotten something that day. Later, when both were healthy, they didn't seem to be on the field together much. History now, though - I'm hopeful about the new pairing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/mls-altidore-deal-...n-tfc-1.184340

Interesting comments from KJ at the end of the video on Gilberto. Doesn't think he'll link well with Altidore and can't play in a 4-3-3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/mls-altidore-deal-...n-tfc-1.184340

Interesting comments from KJ at the end of the video on Gilberto. Doesn't think he'll link well with Altidore and can't play in a 4-3-3.
    He spent most of his career in Brazil in a 4-3-3. Altidore played in a 4-3-3 at AZ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He spent most of his career in Brazil in a 4-3-3. Altidore played in a 4-3-3 at AZ.
    Considering our investment in these guys, those are two excellent reasons to go 4-3-3.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack was basing most of this on Gilberto saying he was a #9.

Gilberto's still a young kid and maybe needs to have somebody sit down and explain to him that he's gotta be flexible if he wants to make it to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know. Just bringing attention to his comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Jack was basing most of this on Gilberto saying he was a #9.

Gilberto's still a young kid and maybe needs to have somebody sit down and explain to him that he's gotta be flexible if he wants to make it to Europe.
    See, I understand Gilberto's perspective; when he moved to a central position in Brazil, he lit it up. He was still an inconsistent finisher on a team that created a ton of chances for him, but he's in a league where is skill set, strength and speed of decision making is just superior to most MLS defenders. SO I can totally see his perspective.

Coupled with what BEz has said about maybe getting a winger instead of a number 10, I think we might be in for a 4-4-2 this year, with our central mids playing two ways on the pivot, and them banking on more creativity from the wings. A lot will depend on who they land; if we had Giovinco coming in, we might end up playing a 433; if we don't and it's someone like Ruiz, we're probably sticking with the 4-4-2.

My fear is that they'll think stereotypically about taking advantage of the two strikers' physical strengths and wing in a ton of high balls, which is the tactical strength of neither man. But if both can play holdup for the other, then have fast wingers who cut inside frequently (inverted, so they're shooting on their strong foot), we can cause a lot of problems.

None of this is conducive to possession-based play, so anyone expecting somethat other than run-and-gun or counter will probably be disappointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, I understand Gilberto's perspective; when he moved to a central position in Brazil, he lit it up. He was still an inconsistent finisher on a team that created a ton of chances for him, but he's in a league where is skill set, strength and speed of decision making is just superior to most MLS defenders. SO I can totally see his perspective.

Coupled with what BEz has said about maybe getting a winger instead of a number 10, I think we might be in for a 4-4-2 this year, with our central mids playing two ways on the pivot, and them banking on more creativity from the wings. A lot will depend on who they land; if we had Giovinco coming in, we might end up playing a 433; if we don't and it's someone like Ruiz, we're probably sticking with the 4-4-2.

My fear is that they'll think stereotypically about taking advantage of the two strikers' physical strengths and wing in a ton of high balls, which is the tactical strength of neither man. But if both can play holdup for the other, then have fast wingers who cut inside frequently (inverted, so they're shooting on their strong foot), we can cause a lot of problems.

None of this is conducive to possession-based play, so anyone expecting somethat other than run-and-gun or counter will probably be disappointed.
    We had our best results playing counter attacking football. Whether we like it or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    We had our best results playing counter attacking football. Whether we like it or not.
    Our counter style early last year was the best thing I've ever seen from a TFC squad. Our players were very aggressive without the ball, going right after the opponent and creating turnovers - I found that to be pretty exciting, even if the energy level really dipped as the season went on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilbeardo will score more goals this year then he did last year. I will wager another beard on it.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^

Really looking forward to him in the new season. I feel like such a stooge being so critical of his early performances last year. Hopefully this season he comes running right out of the gate.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This place is about to get some action.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-19-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way the GOAL TV folks are talking, it sounds like maybe the company line is he's gone already.

There are ways we could keep him. We could restructure his deal and use most (or all) of our allocation, back-ending the agreement to account most of the increases in easy bonuses, so he's not technically a DP.

But as much as I like him, it might be good biz to sell him if we can get good money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto planned to use MLS as stepping stone to Europe or better league, and TFC to eventually sell Gilberto at profit. After MLS's cut, TFC nets more allocation money (plus whatever extra) to improve the roster. This should be one of things TFC does every year or 2 to replenish allocation money.

Gilberto is a nice piece, but it's not like he's irreplaceable. The difference will be how TFC replaces Gilberto.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano