Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Eh, if we had held on to Urruti, we'd have said the same thing after 10 games. At least now he seems to finally be starting to come into his own a little bit. While I agree Gilberto's lack of goals is becoming a bit concerning, I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
    urruti wouldn't have put in the defensive work that Gilberto has nor does Urruti have the vision Gilberto has

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Just looking t his wikipedia page - he never really tore it up on any of the other teams he's been on.

Average numbers on every team he's been on with really only 1 decent season under his belt, but IMO it was not a DP type season though.
    Makes me wonder why TFC would DP money on him.

Again - I think this was a gamble pick. We will see if it pays off. I only see him as a service man for Defoe. Or a decoy that allows Defoe to get open.
    A goal every 2.79 games is above average.

He has shown he has what it takes to play MLS and basically his lack of goals is a statistical anomaly.

The tide will turn, kinda like how it has for Rick Nash in the playoffs. No goals in the first 2 rounds and now he has 2 in 2 games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully he will get a few goals in the Wilmington friendly??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Tim Cahill; first 12 games, 1 goal
    Clint Dempsey; first 10 games back, 1 goal
    Marco di Vaio; first 10 games, 1 goal

lets cut them all
    Cahill and Dempsey? You realize they're midfielder's right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Is Dempsey a flop?
    Dempsey ain't a striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    Dempsey ain't a striker.
    pretty sure seattle was only playing with 1 striker at the end of last season when Dempsey came, and dempsey was playing attacking mid, i know its completely different so I see no point in comparing,(I'm not taking sides) but it's not like Dempsey was playing great and wasn't scoring goals, he really was playing no where near his current form. (I think that was their point)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spurs supporters were starting to question whether Soldado was any good at around 10 games in. Anyone can feel free to let us all know how that turned out by the end of the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have been flipping between am and second striker
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dempsey ain't a striker.
    Considering their type of play, their end game is basically the same and they operate in the same areas. Gilberto starts higher but drops deeper to help with the build-up play and defense, While Dempsey starts deeper but ends up on a heck of a lot of crosses. Same game just different starting positions. They should be getting a similar amount of goals.

Same goes for Cahill^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by PopePouri; 05-19-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thread promoting constant change for this team.

At this rate, I think I'm better off creating a new thread that supports this team and it's steady progress.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such a stupid thread. One who doesn't see what Gilberto provides this team wont ever see it. His passing, his hustling, his off the ball movement, his pressure on defenders are immense. Sure he hasnt scored a goal yet and doesnt have that lucky break but everything Defoe doesnt do off the ball, he does. He's the perfect compliment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

At this rate, I think I'm better off creating a new thread that supports this team and it's steady progress.
    The negativity right now is opposite to how we are actually doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't think he's looked ready to bust loose. He looks seriously out of sync, to me.

Go to the free kick at 2:20 on the Game at 6, and tell me what you really think of that play.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/0...ny-may-17-2014
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you realize they are being paid to produce like they did in the EPL...that would be, yes, to score goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Spurs supporters were starting to question whether Soldado was any good at around 10 games in. Anyone can feel free to let us all know how that turned out by the end of the season.
    kind of like bony was 10 games and 1 goal from play at the start of the year...feel free to let us all know how that turned out by the end of the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I just don't think he's looked ready to bust loose. He looks seriously out of sync, to me.

Go to the free kick at 2:20 on the Game at 6, and tell me what you really think of that play.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/0...ny-may-17-2014

yes he missed that - no doubt about it

but

Gilberto was all over the pitch that game, much like all the other games this year imo, breaking up NYRB plays, setting up chances and coming back defensively - as soon as he was subbed off i found the whole tempo of TFC changed - NYRB's started to gain more possession in our end and one of the major changes was that we had Moore and Defoe hanging out up top - totally different then when Gilberto was on the pitch - he was working his ass off all over the pitch, hustles back to the back 4 to help out - he knows where to be - yes he is off finishing but i love his play, knowledge, hustle and his desire.... i am all for giving him time..... the thing is he is setting up scoring chances and he is missing scoring chances - the point being is that he is there - like they say when a sniper in hockey is not scoring - if he's getting chances and missing he's ok as they'll start to go in, the worry is if he's not getting himself in position for the chances - Gilberto is... i like him and think we really need to have some patience...to me it's so toronto to want to dump players or coaches so quickly - in my mind that's why we're where we are after all these years....but then again i was a Vitti supporter....
    Last edited by backbeat; 05-19-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    kind of like bony was 10 games and 1 goal from play at the start of the year...feel free to let us all know how that turned out by the end of the season
    Totally. It can go either way. I was really just making the point that you can find an example that says whatever you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just the thing...

there are two things that could happen.

Gilberto could be like the players that adapt but take a bit.. or like the players that don't.

There are only two options... We dump him or we keep letting him play, and contributing as he has been (and he has) and putting pressure that does on occasion result in goals (ie Defoe's goal against DC United. That Goal came from a defender passing quickly because Gilberto was still pushing, after it rebounded off the keep from Gilberto's shot. It landed at Defoe's foot and he put it home)

Gilberto has the skill and the talent, if he gets over his yips and gels a bit with the team and settles down he'll be fine, or he won't and he'll be sent packing.

But he produces enough to let him try, we know 10-15 games isn't uncommon for some players. Particularly if they aren't used to the kind of pressure that is put on them. They are a key member of the squad suddenly not a cog in the team. And there isn't really any one there to pick up the slack if we did dump him.. so there is no point in not letting him work his issue out... and if he does he could be a very important part of the squad for a few years.

When I get pissed I want him gone... when I calm and think.. I know it will come..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of people comparing Dempsey and Cahill to Gilberto is quite laughable. In that case, let's get rid of Bradley.....he ain't scoring enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving up on the guy after 7 games is completely ridiculous. It's not like the guy is missing 2 or 3 sitters a game. I'm not concerned about his lack of goals so far. I'm actually encouraged by his overall play, especially his back tracking to help defensively. He does the small thing and plays his role perfectly alongside Defoe. Rey played a ball in which he dummied perfectly for Defoe to get a very good shot on net early in the game on Saturday. He's a very unselfish player a little too unselfish at times. If the guy was out there looking lost, that would be concerning but he's contributing in other ways besides on the score sheet. he's also not getting the service Defoe's been getting which is understandable given Defoe's the number one option. His goals will come.
    Last edited by habstfc; 05-20-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The negativity right now is opposite to how we are actually doing.
    Ensco said it earlier. Standings look fine. How they are playing has people (that are expecting playoffs) worried. Just like the Leafs.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get why this thread is here but I am impressed with his play so far. He makes some great runs, defensivly is not a liability and generally is fun to watch.

Yes some goals would be great but its a long season and there will be plently of opportunities.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To those that consider him a flop...

He has played 7 MLS games. If he pots 2-3 over the next 3 games before the WC break or goes on a run post WC break and ends up with 2/3 in 10 or 5 in 15, is he still considered a flop?

This, to me, is why this conversation is absurd. If he gets to 20-25-30 games with zero, 1 or 2 goals, then lets have the conversation.

It's still too damm early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of people comparing Dempsey and Cahill to Gilberto is quite laughable. In that case, let's get rid of Bradley.....he ain't scoring enough.
    it is quite laughable that you still don't get that Cahill and Dempsey were brought in to score goals...some of the best goal scorers in the world, don't play striker

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So hopefully this thread will continue to progress as Gilberto does. People seeing his quality as he produces. As yet, there are definite questions of value for dollar. TBC...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Ensco said it earlier. Standings look fine. How they are playing has people (that are expecting playoffs) worried. Just like the Leafs.
    Maybe. Part of that though are the people who believe we should walk over every team and don't accept Nelsen's tactics as legitimate. I'll admit to partially falling into that group - I had to endure a season of Chris Hughton whose negative tactics got Norwich relegated. But I can't ignore the table either. I think to some extent there is confusion about whether we are playing badly or whether we are just executing his approach. You can see it clearly in the possession discussion for example. His approach does tend to win more often than not in MLS, although it's not necessarily fun to watch and it concedes possession by design. For Norwich it likely would have worked if we'd have had a Defoe who will make good on the one chance he gets. (See Ricky van Wolsfwinkel).

Also I think there is a certain amount of PTSD. We've had a decent start. But this is TFC. When will the other shoe drop? We've been conditioned into that for years now.
    Last edited by Canary10; 05-20-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

Absolutely. The negativity on this board is unbearable. I'm starting to think some of our fans don't deserve any success

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    To those that consider him a flop...

He has played 7 MLS games. If he pots 2-3 over the next 3 games before the WC break or goes on a run post WC break and ends up with 2/3 in 10 or 5 in 15, is he still considered a flop?

This, to me, is why this conversation is absurd. If he gets to 20-25-30 games with zero, 1 or 2 goals, then lets have the conversation.

It's still too damm early.
    This thread is asking the question if he's a flop. Not an outright statement that he's failed. You've got admit that we have cause for concern. The man is obviously skilled but if he struggles to bag empty netters then something is wrong. I agree that it's not time to pull him yet, but it's not just me that is having reservations. Nelsen is subbing him off earlier and earlier lately.

And to the cheerleaders who can't handle a conversation about the negative sides of this football team: Deal with it. Life isn't all sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joked about it another thread, but lets do it, take away the number 9 shirt, and give him a 10.

I think that at the minimum he will get 10 goals and 10 assists this year.