Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I'd keep Defoe around until the end of next season, and then consider flipping him to a European team. Maybe one more season (or closure of the transfer window) beyond that, depending on how he (and his legs) look at that point. Maybe even an MLS team, if the price is right.
    I love Defoe and people will disagree but I would give him to NYCFC after 2015 if we could get Torres. Torres is surprisingly versatile and his price has plummeted. He could destroy MLS in various ways.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I think 4-3-3 is best formation to get most of players' strength, so I will go with this line up:

----------Bendik-----------
    RB----Caldwell---Henry---Morrow
    ---Osorio---Bradley---Jackson
    ----Oduro-----Defoe-----Gilberto
    effective 4-3-3 requires wing forwards to track back. Gilberto and Oduro doesn't work hard on defence. Jackson is not a CM
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    effective 4-3-3 requires wing forwards to track back. Gilberto and Oduro doesn't work hard on defence. Jackson is not a CM
    Based on what? Oduro is doing much better than before helping out while Gilberto has proven to help out in the back in the past.

Jackson is workhorse who can play CM while find a way to contribute up front.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    I love Defoe and people will disagree but I would give him to NYCFC after 2015 if we could get Torres. Torres is surprisingly versatile and his price has plummeted. He could destroy MLS in various ways.
    I hope you mean Erick Torres of Chivas.

This retirement train has to stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree entirely on Gilberto. He's a workhorse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I hope you mean Erick Torres of Chivas.

This retirement train has to stop.
    You are right Pookie, with all the latest DP
    signings, it is starting to look more and more
    like it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Torres going to score more than Defoe? Seriously doubt that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what? Oduro is doing much better than before helping out while Gilberto has proven to help out in the back in the past.

I should clarify my statement.
    Oduro started as a striker and was never known for his work rate, esp on defence. Now as a winger, he may have developed some defensive work rate, but not much from what I've seen so far.

Gilberto looks gassed out by 65 min mark. Some of it may be just injuries and trying to get match fit, but doesn't look to have the stamina to play 90mins, let alone a strong defensive work rate.

Jackson has horrible first touch and is only effective in the flanks, even then it's marginal. Jackson plays with his head down too much and doesn't see the field or his teammates very often. His passing ability is barely adequate as a winger, let alone a CM. He runs around like a squirrel chasing a nut.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto looks gassed out by 65 min mark. Some of it may be just injuries and trying to get match fit, but doesn't look to have the stamina to play 90mins, let alone a strong defensive work rate.
    I strongly disagree with this statement. I see Gilberto running in the 80th minute full speed.

Luke Moore on the other hand looks as if he can barely run by the 70th.

If anyone lacks stamina it's Moore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Most of his career in Brazil he played as a wide forward in a 4-3-3. They moved him up top alone because of injury, despite questions about his inconsistency. He flourished, but Brazilian league defending can be pretty porous.

I think he's in the wrong system for his skillset. He's a powerful forward and should either play wide left, so he can cut in on his right foot and run at players one-on-one, or as a target forward laying off the ball and playing with his back to goal, trying to get the odd space to shoot as well.
    the one good season he had in Brazil though, he played primarily 4-2-3-1.

Back to goal has never previously been an aspect of his game that has been strong, as per Tim Vickery whose a pretty decent reporter on SA football:

"He quite often plays up top on his own, has a nose for goal, is also quick enough to be played behind the defensive line. Doesn't combine a great deal, not really a back to (the) goal player who will bring others into the game,"

I myself think he is a talented striker who at this point doesn't fit into the system we are looking to implement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally Jackson would be the last person I'd put in CM. We have workrate already in CM with Bradley and Warner, our problem in CM is not workrate but a touch of creavity to compliment the workrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    the one good season he had in Brazil though, he played primarily 4-2-3-1.

Back to goal has never previously been an aspect of his game that has been strong, as per Tim Vickery whose a pretty decent reporter on SA football:

"He quite often plays up top on his own, has a nose for goal, is also quick enough to be played behind the defensive line. Doesn't combine a great deal, not really a back to (the) goal player who will bring others into the game,"

I myself think he is a talented striker who at this point doesn't fit into the system we are looking to implement.
    If we wanted a no-miss Brazilian DP striker, we should have signed http://ca.soccerway.com/players/hernane-vidal-de-souza/120807/

But we wouldn't have got him for the same money.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should clarify my statement.
    Oduro started as a striker and was never known for his work rate, esp on defence. Now as a winger, he may have developed some defensive work rate, but not much from what I've seen so far.

Jackson has horrible first touch and is only effective in the flanks, even then it's marginal. Jackson plays with his head down too much and doesn't see the field or his teammates very often. His passing ability is barely adequate as a winger, let alone a CM. He runs around like a squirrel chasing a nut.
    Agree with Jackson comments. Gilberto I don't see as "gassed" but ineffective none the less. More like your Oduro statement which I can't agree with as to Dom.

When looking at Dom's defensive play I would ask why he makes as many defensive plays around our own box? I appreciate a player who is willing to go box to box but appreciate even more who can solve defensive issues in midfield. Oduro is quickly becoming one of those favourites looked on with scorn by some who work too hard to impress characterized oft times by slower Anglo/Canadians.

Really hope to see the same matchup on the right improve. Creavalle and Oduro could burn a lot of people if they improved on their execution.

All this is opinion on what I see and I always appreciate your breakdown btw.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    personally Jackson would be the last person I'd put in CM. We have workrate already in CM with Bradley and Warner, our problem in CM is not workrate but a touch of creavity to compliment the workrate.
    Totally agree. I'd replace one of our CM with Osorio (obviously Warner) and let Bradley be the box to box CM that he is without feeling the need to be the creative guy all the time AND the aggressive guy all the time.

While doing this I'd drop Moore and start Gilberto in his place to both feed off of Osorio and Bradley AND help Defoe and give and go with him around the 18.

I have no idea why Nelsen prefers such bland and predictable footy.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With Defoe out today and maybe longer pending tests, Gilberto should not be moved any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When's Bright coming back? I thought they were aiming for a mid-summer return?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    When's Bright coming back? I thought they were aiming for a mid-summer return?
    He is not training yet. Medical staff have not signed off on it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My hope is that Gilberto scores a few while Defoe is gone over the next few games for two reasons:

a) Likely means results for the team

b) Makes it hard to trade him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My hope is that Gilberto scores a few while Defoe is gone over the next few games for two reasons:

a) Likely means results for the team

b) Makes it hard to trade him
    So far so good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game today. I wouldn't trade him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had his best game in a TFC kit today.

I think he is going to break out in the second half of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to close this thread and start picking on someone else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is starting to score some goals now. I believe that is 3 now. The question is can he develop some chemistry with Dafoe? Definitely have to keep putting him out there on the field. If he can can get hot while Defoe is on the bench that would be great.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    He had his best game in a TFC kit today.

I think he is going to break out in the second half of the season.
    He looked very good against MTL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 goals in last 6 games, and 2 have been sub appearance

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quit it dude, you;re gonna give me a Gilboner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive never lost faith. Gilberto is the real deal. He will keep scoring.

Nelly wanted to play Defoe and Gilberto today, think about how well that would have gone.

Moore looks so static all the time. He doesnt create he doesnt really help the play imo. He gets into the right spots and expects service, I dont see him as a starter. Moore should be coming on as the first forward sub.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    He is starting to score some goals now. I believe that is 3 now. The question is can he develop some chemistry with Dafoe? Definitely have to keep putting him out there on the field. If he can can get hot while Defoe is on the bench that would be great.
    I wouldn't worry about that so much. I think of Defoe as a short term stay whereas Gilberto has the potential to contribute over a much longer time frame.

I count Gilberto on almost 4, if MB didn't take that PK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would put him on pace for 17 for a season which would be very good. So let see if he continues to grow and gets better as the season develops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is pure talent. Looking around the league it would be easy to see teams where he would flourish. Imagine him up top in a Dom Dwyer type role. I see Gilberto being a great lone striker in a 4-3-3, because he tends to just drift around everywhere and that is what makes him a bad partner for Defoe, as he get in his way a lot.
    He plays hard on defenders, covers a lot of ground, and is so dangerous with the ball at his feet. If I were SKC or even Portland, I would do anything to get him.. Looking at those two teams, who probably play the nicest football to watch in MLS, I am a bit envious to try and get something similar with Gilberto here in Toronto