Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Fact: we're not going to convert 100% of our penalties, no matter who takes them.

I haven't the foggiest idea why this is even discussed. It's complete hindsight and rather silly.
    Actually it was.. at the time.. why is he taking it, why isn't Gilberto, or Luke Moore. It was a head scratch before he even started moving to the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Actually it was.. at the time.. why is he taking it, why isn't Gilberto, or Luke Moore. It was a head scratch before he even started moving to the ball.
    Why did Steven Gerrard take penalties over Suarez?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh come on. Stop acting like it's absurd a player of his caliber took the penalty. Head scratch my ass.

You're only complaining cause he missed, nobody would question it if he scored.

Fact: He's capable of taking a penalty
    Fact: Defoe, Gilberto, Moore, DeRo are all capable of missing a penalty.

The notion that he's not good enough to be put in that position is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Oh come on. Stop acting like it's absurd a player of his caliber took the penalty. Head scratch my ass.

You're only complaining cause he missed, nobody would question it if he scored.

Fact: He's capable of taking a penalty
    Fact: Defoe, Gilberto, Moore, DeRo are all capable of missing a penalty.

The notion that he's not good enough to be put in that position is ridiculous.
    Ryan's right. I like having strikers take em, but Lampard takes em, Gerrard takes em. Arteta takes em, even Baines as been first choice for Everton.

The only reservation I would have had was that he just got back from months away with the USA and dude on Houston knew his shit. Other than that, hindsight.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Where do you get the idea that strikers should always take penalties? Tons of teams have other positions being their prime penalty takers. Every team I've played for had a midfielder as the penalty taker. It's not about position, it's confidence and who puts them in in practice. Just a few examples: Gerrard took them over the best striker in the world right now; Frank Lampard over whatever striker was on the pitch at the time for Chelsea.
    Generally speaking it doesn't happen.

But the issue isn't whether strikers all over the world take them it's why did Bradley feel it was his to take? Particularly when Gilberto took them (some) at Portuguesa and has 3 career PKGs.

I want to give Bradley the benefit of the doubt but I cannot find any record of him ever taking or scoring a PKG in regulation or extra time. Would love to be corrected on that.

If that is the case though and that was his first, why? Gilberto has more experience at taking them. Is paid to score. Had just scored in that game and as a team, that Bradley captains, they need Gilberto to get some confidence.

It's not a guarantee that he would score. That's really not the point. It's why would Bradley trump Gilberto (or Moore) in a situation like that if it is true that he has no experience in taking them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Generally speaking it doesn't happen.

But the issue isn't whether strikers all over the world take them it's why did Bradley feel it was his to take? Particularly when Gilberto took them (some) at Portuguesa and has 3 career PKGs.

I want to give Bradley the benefit of the doubt but I cannot find any record of him ever taking or scoring a PKG in regulation or extra time. Would love to be corrected on that.

If that is the case though and that was his first, why? Gilberto has more experience at taking them. Is paid to score. Had just scored in that game and as a team, that Bradley captains, they need Gilberto to get some confidence.

It's not a guarantee that he would score. That's really not the point. It's why would Bradley trump Gilberto (or Moore) in a situation like that if it is true that he has no experience in taking them?
    It happens all the time. I gave a bunch of examples - I mean Gerrard took them at Pool last year. That's a midfielder over the guy most people agree is the best striker in the world. Califax added that at Everton their left back, of all positions, has been their primary penalty taker.

Every team I've ever played for it's been the guy putting them in in practice until/unless he misses in a game. Whatever position that guy happens to play is irrelevant. Obviously Defoe is the penalty taker, as it should be as he's clinical with his. Defoe wasn't on at the time. We really aren't privy to who else regularly scores in practice. Bradley is as cool as anyone, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's next. Gilberto hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn in the run of play. I don't know if that extends to his penalty taking. People would rather Moore than Bradley simply because he's a striker? That's nuts to me.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-22-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just getting stupider as it goes on, ffs. People can find justification for their own argument, it's just a matter of opinion.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It happens all the time. I gave a bunch of examples - I mean Gerrard took them at Pool last year. That's a midfielder over the guy most people agree is the best striker in the world. Califax added that at Everton their left back, of all positions, has been their primary penalty taker.

Every team I've ever played for it's been the guy putting them in in practice until/unless he misses in a game. Whatever position that guy happens to play is irrelevant. Obviously Defoe is the penalty taker, as it should be as he's clinical with his. Defoe wasn't on at the time. We really aren't privy to who else regularly scores in practice. Bradley is as cool as anyone, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's next. Gilberto hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn in the run of play. I don't know if that extends to his penalty taking. People would rather Moore than Bradley simply because he's a striker? That's nuts to me.
    Probably a lot more examples of situations where strikers take the kicks though wouldn't you think?

Regardless, this situation is about this team and these two players. Seems to me there are a lot of reasons for Gilberto to take it and not many in favour of Bradley.

In the end, it's done and remains curious. If your "take it till you miss theory" is right it is a non-issue going forward as that is the last one Bradley will take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto has taken one PK and nailed it in from distance.

MB is off it has been clear that he is off.

The best Oil Painter in the World can do a really nice job with Water Colours, but it doesn't make him better then a great Water Colourist. Gilberto is Paid to hit the net, MB is paid to get the ball to the people that hit the Net. MB didn't do his job in taking that PK.
    You can't judge someone's ability on that small of a sample size. For the record, Giberto's hit wasn't a PK and he missed several prior to that.

As others have pointed out, plenty of other teams rely on players other than a striker to step up to the spot. On top of that, those teams have comparably better quality strikers than we do.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-22-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You can't judge someone's ability on that small of a sample size. For the record, Giberto's hit wasn't a PK and he missed several prior to that.

As others have pointed out, plenty of other teams rely on players other than a striker to step up to the spot. On top of that, those teams have comparably better quality strikers than we do.

Just as you are the last to post.

Yes I realize I mentioned earlier that I wasn't fully awake I meant Free Kick I just didn't edit it.

As for other Midfielder taking it. The difference is that those Midfielder regularly take it. MB doesn't normally take a PK, it's not his normal role. There were people on the Pitch whose role would normally be a PK.

DeRo often took them.. and more than once sent it flying high but he normally took them.

I was confused as to why he took it at the time, I'm annoyed that he took it because he missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, I like Dero as the hometown guy, but if he was playing for the teams bradley did before TFC he wouldn't have been taking penalties either.

We gave the opportunity to our highest paid player on the field at the time, the one we'd expect to perform at the highest level, the guy who does have some attacking talent despite not primarily not being known for his attacking abilities. We took that over a striker who would be a backup (at best) for most MLS teams and another who has seriously struggled with his confidence / form all season.

I don't think it's surprising that Bradley took it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is where we differ, Money doesn't a striker make. To me a guy that never takes a PK is not the guy to take one when 3 points are on the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is where we differ, Money doesn't a striker make. To me a guy that never takes a PK is not the guy to take one when 3 points are on the line.
    He took a penalty for us and scored on May 26 against Vancouver. I don't see why you'd assume strikers make better PK takers. There are lots of guys in the midfield and even defence who are great at set pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He took a penalty for us and scored on May 26 against Vancouver. I don't see why you'd assume strikers make better PK takers. There are lots of guys in the midfield and even defence who are great at set pieces.
    We didn't play Vancouver on May 26. On May 15th he was one of 5 people that took shots on the net. Bradley Orr scored the first in that game should he take all the future ones then? DeRo, Luke Moore, and Issey all scored as well in that shot out.

In general terms they do. Not all Mid-fielders do.

I don't understand why people would be so offended by why I would scratch my head about him taking it, with others on the field just as capable or more so. Particularly when that is what Gilberto is good at, 4 of his 14 goals last season in the top Brazilian League were from PKs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible that Gilberto didn't want take PK? We all know if Gilberto missed PK it would have killed his confidence which he's gaining lately while media would have field day with it.

Speaking of media, how come no one is criticizing Bradley in the media? With exception of couple games, Bradley been below average. If you look at TFC record, they have been playing better without Bradley especially since Warner trade.

I think we should have a thread if Bradley is a flop given how much money he's costing us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Is it possible that Gilberto didn't want take PK? We all know if Gilberto missed PK it would have killed his confidence which he's gaining lately while media would have field day with it.

Speaking of media, how come no one is criticizing Bradley in the media? With exception of couple games, Bradley been below average. If you look at TFC record, they have been playing better without Bradley especially since Warner trade.

I think we should have a thread if Bradley is a flop given how much money he's costing us.

I think you should be bold enough to start this thread... you have an argument here. TFC has played just fine, if not better, without Bradley?

Personally I don't think the argument will hold over time (Bradley played very well for us in his first few games), but since you brought it up, stand by it. No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I think you should be bold enough to start this thread... you have an argument here. TFC has played just fine, if not better, without Bradley?

Personally I don't think the argument will hold over time (Bradley played very well for us in his first few games), but since you brought it up, stand by it. No?
    Like Gilberto, I am willing to give Bradley more time before creating a panic thread.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We didn't play Vancouver on May 26. On May 15th he was one of 5 people that took shots on the net. Bradley Orr scored the first in that game should he take all the future ones then? DeRo, Luke Moore, and Issey all scored as well in that shot out.

I don't understand why people would be so offended by why I would scratch my head about him taking it, with others on the field just as capable or more so. Particularly when that is what Gilberto is good at, 4 of his 14 goals last season in the top Brazilian League were from PKs.
    Bingo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's because you started by saying Bradley should have been the last person to take it. You can't possibly believe that.

Gilberto was the only other candidate on the field IMO. None of the other midfielders compare. And why trust Moore any more than Bradley? I doubt he's taken that many more penalties than Bradley and I doubt he has a spotless record.

This is complete nonsense. Bradley is one of the most technical and experienced players on the team, it's more than reasonable for him to take the PK. If he scores nobody says a word. But if Jackson or Moore or anyone else step up and score in that situation, I'd still have questions for Nelsen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Maybe it's because you started by saying Bradley should have been the last person to take it. You can't possibly believe that.

Gilberto was the only other candidate on the field IMO. None of the other midfielders compare. And why trust Moore any more than Bradley? I doubt he's taken that many more penalties than Bradley and I doubt he has a spotless record.

This is complete nonsense. Bradley is one of the most technical and experienced players on the team, it's more than reasonable for him to take the PK. If he scores nobody says a word. But if Jackson or Moore or anyone else step up and score in that situation, I'd still have questions for Nelsen.

So because you are high on Bradley but dislike Gilberto your defending Bradley the way kids defend their favourite pokemon?

I did say he should be last, and that was purely for effect, I thought that was clear when I said Jackson should have been a head of him.

Bradley doesn't take PKs. Gilberto does. Bradley really shouldn't have taken it particularly if either Defoe or Gilberto was on the Pitch, he did, he missed. I would say Luke Moore is as right to take one as Bradley.

That is my view of it. And I have seen little to say that Bradley is worth the money... you really should take him off the pedestal you have him on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Stephen Hawking himself said PK should be taken by strikers.

MB needs to listen to the genuis lol

But again, RN needs to decide or at least have a general rule before hand. Or hold up his fingers of the players number that he wants to the take the kick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm scratching my head at you saying the striker should always take it. Some strikers are good at penalties, some aren't. Some left backs are better than strikers at taking penalties, some aren't. No team should, or does, defer to the striker when taking penalties. The person who is best at it takes it regardless of position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Or hold up his fingers of the players number that he wants to the take the kick.
    He'll have to take his shoes off to indicate Defoe...and hopefully (for any families in attendance) never has to call on Osorio...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So because you are high on Bradley but dislike Gilberto your defending Bradley the way kids defend their favourite pokemon?

I did say he should be last, and that was purely for effect, I thought that was clear when I said Jackson should have been a head of him.

Bradley doesn't take PKs. Gilberto does. Bradley really shouldn't have taken it particularly if either Defoe or Gilberto was on the Pitch, he did, he missed. I would say Luke Moore is as right to take one as Bradley.

That is my view of it. And I have seen little to say that Bradley is worth the money... you really should take him off the pedestal you have him on.
    Cute attempt with the first sentence but it makes no sense.

I don't dislike Gilberto. I would've picked between him and Bradley myself. We know Defoe is the first choice penalty taker, there's no point mentioning him.

What pedestal? Do you disagree he's one of the most technical and experienced players we have? Stop projecting.

Bradley is in a funk which he will snap out of. If you didn't see what he brought to the team before the WC you're not paying much attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back onto Gilberto himself:

I have noticed that both goals he has scored have been with his right foot and that his youtube brace was also with his right but from my memory he seams to be taking a ton of shots with his left foot. I wonder if the hip flexor injury is causing him to favour his weaker foot which is leading to the low production rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Back onto Gilberto himself:

I have noticed that both goals he has scored have been with his right foot and that his youtube brace was also with his right but from my memory he seams to be taking a ton of shots with his left foot. I wonder if the hip flexor injury is causing him to favour his weaker foot which is leading to the low production rate.
    I noticed it too. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the hip flexor but more that he has found himself in the left channel alot and it's easier to get a shot off with your left than trying to cut inside and take it on your right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Yes Gilberto is far more skilled than Chad Barrett. There is no question about it.
    However both were brought in to do a job - Score goals. And both failed to do so on a regular basis.

I wouldn't say that Gilberto has contributed more than Barrett has. Maybe he's done it with more flare, but Gilberto has done pretty much the same job that Barrett did in 2009/2010.

- Both guys can win the ball higher up the pitch;
    - Both tracked back deeper to help on the defence and start counters, however because they were so far back, most counters usually died due to lack of options up front.
    - Both guys had their fair share of chances on goal
    - Both guys consistently could not finish in front of the net - in many instances missing by inches.
    - Both guys assist the odd goal

At the end of the season, When we are looking at the standing and where we are - No one will care that Gilberto almost scored on many occasions. It won't matter. What will matter is that dozens of points were lost due to lack of scoring. One guy is scoring most of our goals. That is not good. What happens the rest of the time when he has his off days? That is what Gilberto was brought in to do. Score those extra goals that we need to win.

No one is arguing Gilberto's quality - but as we speak right now, is it really that much better than what we already have? What is he doing to change the match in the way a DP should change the match? I'm not seeing much difference. Sure he adds a bit of quality in the middle of the pitch, but is it enough for him to be paid what he is being paid?Gilberto and Defoe are paid to score. Bradley, Oduro, Osorio, Jackson are paid to move the ball up the pitch and service our strikers - goals from these guys are added value. But at the end of the day, strikers are paid to score. that's why he was brought in.

Luke Moore has more goals than Gilberto in less games
    Issey Nakajima-Farran has more goals than Gilberto in less games

We need to win now. We need to score goals now.
    Until he proves he can be a striker and score goals - I say leave him as a super sub. If he can't score coming off the bench when everyone else is tired, then his quality may not be all that useful.

I get your idea as playing him in that number 10 role. But is he really the best option for that? Is there no other player in the world that we can get who is actually trained to play that role for the price we are paying? I see a lot of time being spent trying to get him into that roles mindset. You're telling me we can't find a 24year old number 10 who could jump into that role and start playing it the way it should be played right away?

Anyways - he won't/shouldn't go anywhere unless they can find a buyer for him to recoup the $$ and/or they find a replacement who is hands down a better option and can make an impact right away and for the future. That is what they need - not an old guy 2 year replacement.
    I am not going to get in a long debate with you, about this, because after years on the board, it is clear to me that we see the game completely differently. Let me just say this again there are things that Barret did, that Gilberto does as well, but Gilberto has the skill, vision and ability that is far above not just Barret but almost any player we have had, and we are far more threatening offensively with him then without him, he should be played in a 10 role, and that would lead to winning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am not going to get in a long debate with you, about this, because after years on the board, it is clear to me that we see the game completely differently. Let me just say this again there are things that Barret did, that Gilberto does as well, but Gilberto has the skill, vision and ability that is far above not just Barret but almost any player we have had, and we are far more threatening offensively with him then without him, he should be played in a 10 role, and that would lead to winning.
    They need to change something as it's not working for him now. I'd like to see them try him there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree Trane... The #10 role, or 'attacking midfielder' as some call it - even though its more/different than that...

The guys in my section, we only refer to Gilberto as "Attacking Midfielder Gilberto" b/c that's where we all believe he should play (the 10 role) - and would excel at for TFC...

I think he'd control our entire attack from that position, place balls perfectly for Defoe, Moore, etc etc...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If he was on a contract more like Urruti's or I think it would be a different story. He's being paid the kind of money where you should have the expectation that he scores regularly.
    Why does the type of contract matter? Aside from the DP slot, he was brought in to create hype… he did that as part of the offseason. That has a value. To get him from his homeland had a cost. He negotiated a fair rate considering those two rates and away we go.

If we are talking about contributions relative to contracts, Gilberto's contract is likely the second issue we should discuss with Bradley and his $6M for 6 going getting first dibs under the microscope.