Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That would be three points, aka not enough to qualify for the next stage of the tournament. And what is "undefeated" in this case can also be called winless. If it works so well, why aren't more people doing it?
    My point is that you do not need world class/a DP to make an effective defense. You need the quality in attack and mid-field...the reason they did not progress...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    My point is that you do not need world class/a DP to make an effective defense. You need the quality in attack and mid-field...the reason they did not progress...
    But it isn't particularly difficult to sacrifice those things and go into a defensive shell. TFC already did that during the Preki years - lots of draws and stingly defense, at the expense of any offense.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this case I'm thinking an effective back four not parking the bus like TFC....which even with our improvements this year... has actually been quite difficult to get away with for an extended period of time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    We've also played the fewest games in the entire league (11), having as many as five games in hand over a couple of teams right now. LA are tied with Montreal for second fewest games (12).

Our defence is probably middle of the pack, maybe lower, once we catch up a few of those games.

Actually in another thread we went through the defence SKC, DC, LA and SJ are the only teams with fewer Goals against per game. 3 of the 13 (23%) were from PKs caused by a single player. Which puts as near the top of the heap. Goal scoring on the other hand we are lower middle of the pack. With one key player not scoring yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You just did a full 360 and got this thread. Well played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    Ah, my mistake! Read that rather hastily...

Why so I always assume everything is sarcasm?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if there was one guy on the team who needed a full pre season, it was Gilberto. being injured during pre season really screwed him I think, esp with language barrier and adapting to new style of football
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    if there was one guy on the team who needed a full pre season, it was Gilberto. being injured during pre season really screwed him I think, esp with language barrier and adapting to new style of football
    Plus the time difference, the MLS ball, the change of food, playing in the summer, the wind at BMO, a new bed, different opposition. Bless him. Any I've missed out ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You forgot learning a new language! Man he's had it tough, no wonder he's not scoring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's the coffee beans actually.. it's just taking his body time to adjust to the new beans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I think it's the coffee beans actually.. it's just taking his body time to adjust to the new beans.
    it's really the toilet paper. hard to get your ass used to the new stuff
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's really the toilet paper. hard to get your ass used to the new stuff
    You know I can see that.. the wrong Klingon will really mess with your fitness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Plus the time difference, the MLS ball, the change of food, playing in the summer, the wind at BMO, a new bed, different opposition. Bless him. Any I've missed out ?
    Yes, you did miss something. He was promised a date with Canadian Pamela Anderson, but got depressed when he found out Some schmuck named Borat got to her first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I CAN SHAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so can everyone else participating in the #beardsforgilberto campaign!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That fucking goal by the beaut of a brazilian

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most insane minute I've ever seen , maybe in any sport ...from holy fook he's history and nut's to look who's got the biggest balls now......credit to Ryan and Defoe for keeping it in the family and laughing it up...............who knew within the world cup goings on..................our house the nut house , love it..
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya that was absolutely insane. THAT'S how you get out of a slump. awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't get over how awesome that goal was. fucking FIGHTING Defoe (the best player in the league right now) over that ball and then WAAAAAMMMM into the net..... I rate that goal as one of the nicest/best goals in TFC history. absolutely classic and unforgettable moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes... despite his goal tonight... hes not nearly worth his wages..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Yes... despite his goal tonight... hes not nearly worth his wages..
    explain please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least he is showing the fight to turn it around.....sure not earned the goals however certainly contributed to a number of the results

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has to do that many more times not to be a flop. And fighting with Defoe, he's still an idiot. Can't wait til he's gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    He has to do that many more times not to be a flop. And fighting with Defoe, he's still an idiot. Can't wait til he's gone.
    Classic stuff, this. The very mentality that has run this club into the ground; we've clearly not been burned enough by talent we've released and watched go on to win things, elsewhere -- where a solution was found, instead of this "on to the next" approach to everything. Keep bangin' that drum, though.

Right.. the FIRST time, Gilberto stands his ground and takes a free-kick, he does THAT with it. There have been a few saying it all along, that he should grow a pair and tell the likes of Bekker and others to sit. Amazing how he gets called for fighting Defoe, when, actually, it looked to be the other way around; he picked the ball up, with conviction, and, having too often, in past, been called off, I don't think it mattered who it was challenging him -- he was always going to take that kick, and he only looked to plead his case, with Defoe the aggressor, through it all. What an idoit, indeed, Gilly.

Defoe just seems really peeved about the whole World Cup debacle and all the talk/media surrounding it; he'll calm down, and I think he looked to be over it, once Gilberto cannoned the ball into the back of the net. It might just have been the kind of thing Gilberto needed, instead of all the patting on the back. Here's hoping he pushes on, now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Classic stuff, this. The very mentality that has run this club into the ground; we've clearly not been burned enough by talent we've released and watched go on to win things, elsewhere -- where a solution was found, instead of this "on to the next" approach to everything. Keep bangin' that drum, though.

Right.. the FIRST time, Gilberto stands his ground and takes a free-kick, he does THAT with it. There have been a few saying it all along, that he should grow a pair and tell the likes of Bekker and others to sit. Amazing how he gets called for fighting Defoe, when, actually, it looked to be the other way around; he picked the ball up, with conviction, and, having too often, in past, been called off, I don't think it mattered who it was challenging him -- he was always going to take that kick, and he only looked to plead his case, with Defoe the aggressor, through it all. What an idoit, indeed, Gilly.

Defoe just seems really peeved about the whole World Cup debacle and all the talk/media surrounding it; he'll calm down, and I think he looked to be over it, once Gilberto cannoned the ball into the back of the net. It might just have been the kind of thing Gilberto needed, instead of all the patting on the back. Here's hoping he pushes on, now.

Agreed on Defoe, I was more than disappointed about the reaction, and he seemed genuinely embarrassed about it in the interview which I suppose is a good sign because he apparently realised after that he was in the wrong. He knows whats right and maybe his mum is going to have to have a word with him post game about playing nice in the sand box.

I hope there isn't a rift between him and the rest of the team because the team was so elated for him with that goal/team celebration after.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post

Well said.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a(nother?) hip flexor and will miss Chicago for sure and probably DCU.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    I still can't get over how awesome that goal was. fucking FIGHTING Defoe (the best player in the league right now) over that ball and then WAAAAAMMMM into the net..... I rate that goal as one of the nicest/best goals in TFC history. absolutely classic and unforgettable moment.
    Absolutely no way to deny it.

2 DP's fighting over the ball and as a supporter of THIS particular team, expecting the worst i.e. implosion via attitudes and seeing them literally hugging it out after the craziest free kick in our history (Sorry Jimmy).

Made the game, made my night.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've said a couple of times in this thread that he'd break out after the World Cup, I just hope the hip issue doesn't cause too much issue.

Delighted for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rate Defoe's attitude as very very poor at the moment.

He and Osorio were getting into with each other all night as well. I dont care if your upset about the world cup, you are payed stupid stupid money to play a game. His attitude is terrible and signals the whole team to just pass him the ball, like they are not capable of doing anything. I think Keane is the better player tbh. Keane makes those around him better.