Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto not featured in this. Telling i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The way the GOAL TV folks are talking, it sounds like maybe the company line is he's gone already.

There are ways we could keep him. We could restructure his deal and use most (or all) of our allocation, back-ending the agreement to account most of the increases in easy bonuses, so he's not technically a DP.

But as much as I like him, it might be good biz to sell him if we can get good money.
    When does the summer transfer window typically open? Was thinking he could always be loaned back to us until the end of the season if we sell him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    When does the summer transfer window typically open? Was thinking he could always be loaned back to us until the end of the season if we sell him.
    They won't do that. At his price and market pedigree he's either an "all in" investment or a commodity you sell to the highest bidder. The problem is even a loan counts against the cap; we'd actually have to restructure his contract here, or ensure the buyer has a contract that fits within MLS structures. Unlikely, at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they couldn't restructure Laba's 200k/year contract to make him not be a DP, there's no way they'd be able to restructure Gilberto's contract to make him not a DP. And even if you could, is Gilberto really worth the massive cap hit that it would take to do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    If they couldn't restructure Laba's 200k/year contract to make him not be a DP, there's no way they'd be able to restructure Gilberto's contract to make him not a DP. And even if you could, is Gilberto really worth the massive cap hit that it would take to do that?
    Assuming we have allocation money left from the Laba trade, we could help pay down his contract. I'm sure we can find some allocation money or maybe we have some left.

I'd hate to lose Gilberto. He was one of the better players last season. He started a bit slow, but when the guy was on, he was on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post
    Assuming we have allocation money left from the Laba trade, we could help pay down his contract. I'm sure we can find some allocation money or maybe we have some left.

I'd hate to lose Gilberto. He was one of the better players last season. He started a bit slow, but when the guy was on, he was on.
    I don't doubt there are ways to keep him, I just got the strong feeling from the press conference the die is already cast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post

We would need to use approximately 900k of allocation just to bring him down the the max salary for one year. Even if we had that, I would much rather them use it to strengthen other areas. As much as people liked Gilberto, he isn't really needed when you look at the depth up front. Altidore, Dike, Findley, Moore, Oduro...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

Definitely telling...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We would need to use approximately 900k of allocation just to bring him down the the max salary for one year. Even if we had that, I would much rather them use it to strengthen other areas. As much as people liked Gilberto, he isn't really needed when you look at the depth up front. Altidore, Dike, Findley, Moore, Oduro...
    This is the frustration of MLS - Gilberto is arguably better than anyone on that list and he's (probably) the guy to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Larson article posted in another thread tells the story:
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/01/18/...in-mls-history

As has widely been suggested, that means Gilberto's TFC future largely hangs in the balance. The Brazilian Designated Player, who impressed TFC supporters with his work rate in 2014, will be the odd man out, the Sun has learned.

Talk of MLS adding a fourth Designated Player spot appears inconsequential as the Reds will look to move Gilberto for the right offer, according to an informed MLS source.
    A potential transfer for Gilberto after a season or two with TFC has always been in the cards, with the Brazilian arriving in MLS as a means to get to Europe.

The Toronto Sun can also confirm the Reds already have multiple good offers in for Gilberto from outside MLS.
    If we are building for the long term, moving a short term asset makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    This is the frustration of MLS - Gilberto is arguably better than anyone on that list and he's (probably) the guy to go.
    Jury is out on whether he is better than Altidore. We will have to wait and see how Altidore looks this time around in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, Altidore was a better player in this league as a teenager than Gilberto was last season. That being said, I hope Gilberto stays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Jury is out on whether he is better than Altidore. We will have to wait and see how Altidore looks this time around in the MLS.
    I agree and am hopeful that Altidore will make a good contribution to the team over the long haul, but I was more interested in the prospect of seeing how Gilberto does, especially with Giovinco in the mix. Gio and Gil could be awesome on the same field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    I agree and am hopeful that Altidore will make a good contribution to the team over the long haul, but I was more interested in the prospect of seeing how Gilberto does, especially with Giovinco in the mix. Gio and Gil could be awesome on the same field.
    I'd love to keep Gil as well - very curious to see what he'd do in a second season after having time to settle. That said, if the stuff in the article I posted above about the plan for Gil always being a short term one from both sides, I'm not too dissapointed if we move him now and use the allocation funds from the sale to strengthen the team in other areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to keep Gil as well - very curious to see what he'd do in a second season after having time to settle. That said, if the stuff in the article I posted above about the plan for Gil always being a short term one from both sides, I'm not too dissapointed if we move him now and use the allocation funds from the sale to strengthen the team in other areas.
    Well, I AM about to renew so I suppose I agree with you .... if grudgingly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    For what it's worth, Altidore was a better player in this league as a teenager than Gilberto was last season. That being said, I hope Gilberto stays.
    Wouldn't it be fair to also say though that the league last season was better than the Mls version Altidore played in back in 2008. I can see Jozy doing well but what concerns me is what if he doesn't regain his scoring touch, by the sounds of it it will be a massive contract to move

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The league as a whole may have gotten better, but have the defenses actually gotten all that much better?

Also, whether or not Altidore is better than Gilberto is up for debate (although Altidore is several months younger and has done much more than Gilberto so far in his career). But Altidore will be here a long time, whereas Gilberto's plan was to move on. So simply from a team cohesion POV, Altidore is a better team piece than Gilberto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The league as a whole may have gotten better, but have the defenses actually gotten all that much better?
    Yes they have. What we see on average today is a lot better than the likes of Nick Garcia, Jordan Harvey, Kevin Goldthwaite, Tyson Wahl etc...

Granted the most recent two years are missing from this list, scoring looks pretty flat over the more recent years.

2012 -- 2.68
    2011 -- 2.58
    2010 -- 2.46
    2009 -- 2.54
    2008 -- 2.81
    2007 -- 2.66
    2006 -- 2.62
    2005 -- 2.87
    2004 -- 2.61
    2003 -- 2.89
    2002 -- 3.01
    2001 -- 3.28
    2000 -- 3.19
    1999 -- 2.86
    1998 -- 3.57
    1997 -- 3.26
    1996 -- 3.37

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

If Gilbertos not in that mix we will be sorry, the guy is technically gifted forget Altidore comparisons.

7 goals and 5 assist, in your first season "while taking the piss" as someone mentioned is Quality dont Mistake that.?

Gil....Altidore
    .....Gio........

Is our ticket, findley and anybody else can kick rocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Wouldn't it be fair to also say though that the league last season was better than the Mls version Altidore played in back in 2008. I can see Jozy doing well but what concerns me is what if he doesn't regain his scoring touch, by the sounds of it it will be a massive contract to move
    I don't think he would be hard to unload to a US team if that happened. Not scoring for TFC has not had much bearing on players ability to score for other teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    If Gilbertos not in that mix we will be sorry, the guy is technically gifted forget Altidore comparisons.

7 goals and 5 assist, in your first season "while taking the piss" as someone mentioned is Quality dont Mistake that.?

Gil....Altidore
    .....Gio........

Is our ticket, findley and anybody else can kick rocks.
    He wasn't taking the piss in his first season. His finishing was questionable at times, and I would not call 7 goals in 28 appearances acceptable for DP striker.

That said - as I've mentioned - I do want to see what he can offer in his second season - I think he'd do a lot better

And further that - if he was taking the piss in the first season - ship him out and good riddance. Don't want players in this team that can't be arsed to be here.
    Last edited by brad; 01-19-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wasn't taking the piss in his first season. His finishing was questionable at times

I could careless if he doesnt score a single goal, if he "assists" us right into the playoffs.

And Gilberto is not a "hardworker" as some put it. Yes he works hard but he is a technical attacking threat period.

Gilberto is not necessarily a 20 goal striker he is a 12 goal 12 assist striker which much more valuable to the team.

This guy is probably top 3 technical strikers we ever had, as far was what he can do with the ball put Giovinco around this guy and creatively speaking they will take us to the playoffs altidore will be the assurance we actually get there this season.

One issue we with this team we try to fix creative problems with CB's.

"we need a new keeper" just get a CB!. "we need a new kit man" just get a center back.

We brought in so many center backs and we still never make the playoffs, defending is team responsibility and possession and being able to keep the ball away from your opposition helps your team to defend.

If we dont suit those 3 up we wont do well this season.

Everytime I ever spoke about this team as far as personnel and tactical choices I was always right in the end but makes you look like a douche to tell the loser "I told you so".

We have the key to the playoffs and we are about to funk it up once again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC is getting substantial offers from teams around the world then it should be a sign to keep him, you don't just all of a sudden get teams willing to pay multimillion $ transfer fees for a nobody.

Gilberto is a quality player, his finishing wasn't the best least year but our inept wingers, anemic midfield or dreadful coaching wasn't the best either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he would be hard to unload to a US team if that happened. Not scoring for TFC has not had much bearing on players ability to score for other teams
    Not scoring for Toronto after not scoring in the Epl would make that scenario a bit different. It would be nice to know what his contract actually is, if it is 4 million plus I don't think too many US based teams would rush in unless he was scoring for the national team at a good clip.

im just trying to temper my enthusiasm after last year. I hope Jozy goes gangbusters and bosses MLS. Would still like to see Gil here though, we need him during the Gold Cup spell, and even if the plan has always been to move him along we would get a lot more for him after a stronger second season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wasn't taking the piss in his first season. His finishing was questionable at times, and I would not call 7 goals in 28 appearances acceptable for DP striker.

That said - as I've mentioned - I do want to see what he can offer in his second season - I think he'd do a lot better

And further that - if he was taking the piss in the first season - ship him out and good riddance. Don't want players in this team that can't be arsed to be here.

I dont know that for sure but seems people believe he was taking the piss.

And everybody likes to hang out with winners not losers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate saying this.. but Bradley is costing us yet another DP.

If we didn't have him.. we'd have Laba, Gilberto, a Striker (likely not Altidore) and likely Giovinco I don't see that as a bad thing.

Bradley or Laba is a no brainer.... had it been known it was Bradley or Laba and Gilberto... I'm sure it makes sense at that point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want more cap space, not for DPs, just more cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I hate saying this.. but Bradley is costing us yet another DP.

If we didn't have him.. we'd have Laba, Gilberto, a Striker (likely not Altidore) and likely Giovinco I don't see that as a bad thing.

Bradley or Laba is a no brainer.... had it been known it was Bradley or Laba and Gilberto... I'm sure it makes sense at that point.

You do know that Bradley will be the best player in the league this year, right? he couldn't walk one one foot and Klinsman tried to run him to death last year. He'll be much, much better than Laba this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Bradley is easily one of the top 5 players in this league, and probably the best on a good day. Can single-handedly win the midfield battle. This thread is about Gilberto though, and in my opinion the guy is absolute class. If he was on a team like Portland or LA everyone who dismisses him would see how good he really is. His work ethic mixed with his technical ability is second to none in MLS (don't know about the rest of the world). For me, his potential probably caps out at the Championship in England, or lower seeded clubs in the Bundesliga, but that's just from seeing him play with the horrible offense we had last year. Never really understood all the hate for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    You do know that Bradley will be the best player in the league this year, right? he couldn't walk one one foot and Klinsman tried to run him to death last year. He'll be much, much better than Laba this year.

I think Bradley is very good. Gilberto has the ability to be a great scorer, and Laba can do the job with the other we have. In order to have Bradley we have lost two players. One that can do the same job, and One that does a job we need and we have yet to show that Altidore can do (though he likely can)

Bradley maybe better than any single player I don't think though he is better than those two players.