Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Futbolista View Post
    He will warm up...hasn't play in the summer hot weather like he is used to.
    That's an interesting thought.

He could take advantage of everyone else around him melting in the heat - however - many have pointed out - he is not performing because he is not getting the service. In the heat - he will probably get much less service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He was crap at what he was supposed to do, at first.

Apart from shirt sales.
    They won 2 Cups and made it to 3 while he was there. Although, i think he was brought in for the shirt sales lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it you would have let Dempsey go last season then? And Beckham when he started? And Koevs? What you are asking for does not happen in this league. The amount of DP's who have come in and had an instant impact that maintained itself over a couple of seasons sits right now at 1 - Robbie Keane. Nobody else has done it. Defoe has a chance to get to that status. After his efforts on Saturday, I cut Gilberto a lot of slack. Heck, given our midfield without Bradley and still wondering if Warner can be a starter for us, I cut all our forwards a lot of slack.
    Dempsey, Beckham, Di Vaio and Koevs were/are all franchise players. Gilberto is not a franchise player. He is not the one that TFC is going to build the team around unless something goes catastrophically wrong with DeFoe or Bradley.

Someone who is being paid the 11th highest salary (according to this anyway: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/Apri...phabetical.pdf) and is not a franchise player better bring it right from the word go.

A player like Defoe sits on a scale where his huge salary/transfer fee is on one end and he and his goal tally sit on the other, however his jersey sales and ability to put bums in seats both at BMO and in other cities means the scale will always be in Defoe's favor.

Gilberto's scale has him on one side and his salary and transfer fee on the other. I don't think I've seen anyone with a Gilberto jersey I've never heard anyone say they're going down to the TFC game because Gilberto is playing. He's not a native son like DeRo and, so far, he hasn't proven a game changer coming off the bench.

So without goals when would the scales ever tip in his favor? Like I said I have nothing against the guy, I hope the guy scores five against San Jose next game, I just don't want another DeGuzman situation.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 06-05-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think De Guzman is totally different. De Guzman was never a goal scorer. NEVER. Yet people thought thats what he was supposed to do. We, the fans, ran him out of town because he wasnt scoring even though thats not what his job on the field was to do. The guy was a DM/AM. Setup for goals score an occasional goal maybe. You cant compare De Guzman to Gilberto. The closer comparison would be Gilberto to Mista as they are at least both forwards and meant to be goal scorers. De Guzman has nothing in common with Gilberto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommradePolski View Post
    I think De Guzman is totally different. De Guzman was never a goal scorer. NEVER. Yet people thought thats what he was supposed to do. We, the fans, ran him out of town because he wasnt scoring even though thats not what his job on the field was to do. The guy was a DM/AM. Setup for goals score an occasional goal maybe. You cant compare De Guzman to Gilberto. The closer comparison would be Gilberto to Mista as they are at least both forwards and meant to be goal scorers. De Guzman has nothing in common with Gilberto.
    What really? Maybe with people you talked too, but on these boards he was run out because he took a DP slot and affected the game maybe once every 10 games. When I say affect, I mean the fact he must have less than 5 assits in his entire tenure with us, and never controlled the midfield like he was supposed to. He was mostly junk and broken physically, he also took a DP slot which should have belonged to Dero at the time.

But yes the comparison with Gilberto is wrong.
    Last edited by Richard; 06-05-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember JDG being "run out of town", no, I remember a slow exit culminating in a salary dump to FC Dallas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no comparison between Gilberto and JDG. JDG never looked interested and rarely put in an effort. We knew he'd done okay in Spain, but we very rarely saw anything similar to that here. When we did, he looked good, but those were very rare and few and far between. Gilberto can never be accused of looking disinterested or not putting in an effort. The guy works hard. He looks utterly distraught that he's still goalless. He's developed a good rapport with Defoe. He's done everything he was brought here to do...except score. That's a pretty big exception when you're a DP striker, I agree, but I'm certainly not complaining about his work rate, his attitude or his effort unlike JDG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

once again, TFC came to life once gilberto was subbed on in the 2nd half yesterday

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He was crap at what he was supposed to do, at first.

Apart from shirt sales.
    And ticket sales - he literally raised the league attendance average single handily. Most Beckham games were full stadiums and empty once he left. Except here of course.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd argue that he has had an important impact in the games I've seen him come off the bench. He certainly gave us a huge shot in the arm against Columbus, setting up Defoe's goal and laying off that beautiful flick to DeRo. And those were only the highlight plays. He made a bunch of other good plays to pressure Columbus and help us climb back into a game we had no business being in up to that point.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What really? Maybe with people you talked too, but on these boards he was run out because he took a DP slot and affected the game maybe once every 10 games. When I say affect, I mean the fact he must have less than 5 assits in his entire tenure with us, and never controlled the midfield like he was supposed to. He was mostly junk and broken physically, he also took a DP slot which should have belonged to Dero at the time.

But yes the comparison with Gilberto is wrong.
    Nah, there were more than a few who wanted goals. Who knows where they are now, but people pictured him as an AM and the team (managed by some of the biggest idiots ever to set foot in a MLS club) tried to play him there frequently.

He was pooched before he even pulled on a jersey I'm relatively sure, but simply too embarrassing for the player or club to admit. He was playing at like 1/4 of the speed he did previously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Dempsey, Beckham, Di Vaio and Koevs were/are all franchise players. Gilberto is not a franchise player. He is not the one that TFC is going to build the team around unless something goes catastrophically wrong with DeFoe or Bradley.

Someone who is being paid the 11th highest salary (according to this anyway: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/Apri...phabetical.pdf) and is not a franchise player better bring it right from the word go.

A player like Defoe sits on a scale where his huge salary/transfer fee is on one end and he and his goal tally sit on the other, however his jersey sales and ability to put bums in seats both at BMO and in other cities means the scale will always be in Defoe's favor.

Gilberto's scale has him on one side and his salary and transfer fee on the other. I don't think I've seen anyone with a Gilberto jersey I've never heard anyone say they're going down to the TFC game because Gilberto is playing. He's not a native son like DeRo and, so far, he hasn't proven a game changer coming off the bench.

So without goals when would the scales ever tip in his favor? Like I said I have nothing against the guy, I hope the guy scores five against San Jose next game, I just don't want another DeGuzman situation.
    Gilberto changed the game when he came in against Columbus.

Again listen I aspect him to score, as a CF that is his job, but I cannot accept that he has not contributed and been important for us in other ways, because that is simply not true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was the small problem that he wouldn't tackle, play a decent ball forward, or do anything else a decent holding mid does.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90% of our offence is "hoof it to the corner and let one of the wings/fullbacks attempt to hoof it towards the net". Seeing as Gilberto does not decide the tactics, I will say the jury is out until someone figures out how to pass the ball through the middle of the field for a change. That being said, Defoe seems to be making it work, but may Gilberto is not as adaptable as Defoe is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys. I just found out what Gilberto's favourite breakfast food is: flopjacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, do you know what he did before becoming a professional footballer? Burger flopper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He used to ride with Bob Burnquist back home, I believe he invented the KickFlop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Also, do you know what he did before becoming a professional footballer? Burger flopper.
    You're just having a field day with this title.

I still stand by it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you get when you combine Gilberto with the Ramones? Blitzkrieg Flop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you get when you combine Gilberto with Defoe? Very little value for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    You're just having a field day with this title.

I still stand by it.
    Ha ha. Hey, I was calling him Flopinho when you were just a young lad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    What do you get when you combine Gilberto with the Ramones? Blitzkrieg Flop.
    I lol'ed

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Get him some cowboy boots and he could be Flopalong Cassidy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Guzman was a midfielder, therefore no one was expecting him to score goals. His failure, IMHO, was the inability to control the midfield and provide service to the forwards at the level expected of someone making the kind of money he was making.

Players in professional sports are all about the balance on their own personal scale in terms of worth. The first thing people expect of players is the ability to perform their positions well. The second thing they expect of players is to play their positions at the level they are being paid (i.e. Dion Phaneuf is an okay defenceman, however he is not a good enough defenceman to justify being the highest paid defenceman).

A player being paid heads and shoulders above their peers is a statement by the team that they have confidence the person can perform their position at that level, but it's also a statement by the player as well, and players making statements is more scrutinized than statements being made by the team. While we can't compare DeGuzman and Gilberto in terms goal production we can compare them to how well they play/played their position commensurate to their pay.

In DeGuzman's case he never performed to the level that one of the highest, if not THE highest, paid midfielder in MLS (at that time) should have performed. If DeGuzman was never a DP and never being paid a DP salary then maybe things would have turned out differently. Also I think a comparison between DeGuzman and Gilberto is fair because neither was/is a franchise player, therefore neither brought/is bringing anything to the table other than their ability to play their position (DeGuzman being Canadian might weighted the scale in his favour for a little while, but that factor eventually evaporated).

Mista is not a proper comparison since there was really no expectations for Mista when he signed (due to his age and conditioning) with TFC other than generating a little hype for ticket sales. Anything he did beyond that was bonus for TFC as Mista was never going to be a franchise player.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 06-08-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like strikers that have a complete inability to get quality shots/chances on net. In Fifa terms, Gilberto gets a finishing of 40 for me. At everything else? He's great.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What does the swap for Oduro add to the whole Gilberto debate? Another forward in to compete for the one spot available alongside Defoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    What does the swap for Oduro add to the whole Gilberto debate? Another forward in to compete for the one spot available alongside Defoe.
    I think this is good for Gilberto. We seem to have trouble getting forward in transition and Oduro will offer a lot more going forward from a wide position than Rey does. At the very least this will drag some of the defensive attention away from our forwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is more a decision to drop Weids, free up a international spot, and maybe bring in a higher quality replacement.

Or it is a total form change.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oduro is not here as a forward. A Columbus report today indicated he had told the Crew staff he was more of a wide midfielder now. He might play wide forward in a 4-3-3 but I doubt he replaces Gilberto or Moore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to witnessing Gilberto scoring tomorrow and cannot wait to see his celebration! If someone was ever due a first goal for their overall effort in TFC red, its Gilberto.