Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152
Results 1,531 to 1,552 of 1552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They really are in a pit right now. Bad team, bad coach, bad owner.
    They have David Accam, Shaun Maloney and Kennedy Igboananike upfront, all very good offensive players, and they score plenty. Their defence is a fucking sieve. Why he would sign a fourth offensive threat instead of a line-leading defender is astonishing. I think Frank's well-past done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Well, if Chicago is paying all of his salary ... I congratulate Bez.

I don't see how this player can be worth $1.2M a year for 4 years to any team on god's green earth. That is real money in the soccer world folks, that amount is something like the average salary in La Liga.
    So we're eating a $4.3 million transfer fee and probably getting nothing back? If he's on an option year two and Chicago doesn't pick it up because of the TAM cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They have David Accam, Shaun Maloney and Kennedy Igboananike upfront, all very good offensive players, and they score plenty.
    Surely you jest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Im pretty sure he's got 1 and a half years left on his contract
    Yup. Chicago needed to do something to appease their fans after missing out on a high-profile DP two years running. Gilberto is a low risk move for them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So we're eating a $4.3 million transfer fee and probably getting nothing back? If he's on an option year two and Chicago doesn't pick it up because of the TAM cost.
    He doesn't qualify for TAM.
    If he produces he'll get the option taken and maybe sold to Europe. TFC will get a cut of that. If he continues to suck, the investment gets written off. Happens all the time in world football.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transfer fee was wasted. It's long gone. This was only about getting off some or all the contract now.

Transfer for Defoe was wasted the same way btw, they played the shell game on that one.

There is a phrase in the investment business: make your first trade your worst trade. Having made a mistake on Gilberto, TFC did a decent job of mitigating the mess, I think.

I have been critical of Bez, still am, but this makes sense to me. What could the value of this guy posssibly be? For those people who are upset about not getting anything for the "asset": it's not your money. Only way to get actual assets for this guy would be to eat some, maybe a lot, of that contract.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-28-2015 at 06:55 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've re-renamed the thread to Gilberto Ongoing Discussion thread. "Goalberto" is so lol after what happened in his loan time in Brazil.

Martin's original post that started it all (quoted below) is still valid, is Gilberto a flop? Cutting our losses might have been the best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Okay, it's been 10 games (including V-cup) and I think enough time has passed that we can begin to have the conversation of what to do with Gilberto.

Do we give him more time? If so are we doing that because of the sunk cost fallacy?
    Do we trade/cut him and open up the DP slot?
    Or a third option that I haven't considered?

I've been on board with him getting more time to adjust to the league, but after some of the displays my patience is wearing thin. I see a man with 0 confidence and it was especially stark in the 2nd whitecaps game. There was a play where he was running in on goal and rather than take his shot, he cut wide and couldn't finish his chance. Contrast that with Defoe who admittedly is in a different class, but he can create space when being triple teamed and still get a shot off. I'd expect a $1.5m DP to be me more threatening than some of our previous discards.

I do appreciate that he drops deep when pressure is on, but that's not what we paid him for. Wiedeman can do that and Jeremy Brockie/Ryan Johnson/Chad Barrett can run around like a headless chicken and apply pressure up top while not finishing their chances.

He's reminding me of Altidore at Sunderland; if Gilberto can't bag a goal within another month I think we need to cut our losses. It's not like he hasn't had the chances and management knows this. Why else is he being subbed off earlier and earlier these days?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha cheers.

But to be perfectly honest, "Goalberto" also finished 2014 on a 315 minute dry streak. His time at Vasco only further accentuated the LOL factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Gilberto must be closing in on Urruti for most posts-to-minutes-played ratio. This thread will probably be going strong in another two years...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    I think Gilberto must be closing in on Urruti for most posts-to-minutes-played ratio. This thread will probably be going strong in another two years...
    Maybe we could wrap the thread in a bow and present it to Chicago support.

EDIT- After a quick search there are 4 threads and SEVEN pages on Urruti.

His name may be mentioned with eternal regret from time to time on these boards but after 52 pages you may be right about Gilberto's minutes to mentions.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-28-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Maybe we could wrap the thread in a bow and present it to Chicago support.
    They know already and they aren't too happy about it. Looks like protest time in Chi Town.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bit about Altidore in the OP is just spooky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never understood why people are so concerned about the transfer fee being wasted.

If MLSE doesn't give two shits about it, why would you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Gilberto lasted all of 20 mins in his debut tonight before being injured and subbed off. Poor guy seems to have the worst luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this in the former player thread (maybe this one should be closed now?) but his early exit reminded me of his showing up unfit to our pre-season last year and getting himself injured then. And I can't recall if the rumors out of Brazil also said he was unfit, or if it was only attitude problems.

Not a great look for him either way...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually watching the youtube of that game for the 5 minutes around when he got injured. There was a foul but it wasn't anywhere near a scrape - it a was a clash of legs.

Dude is out of shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    So Gilberto lasted all of 20 mins in his debut tonight before being injured and subbed off. Poor guy seems to have the worst luck.
    Worst luck, or was he just not fit to begin with. Wasn't that an issue with him when he first arrived to TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what minute was the injury in? I jsut see him limp off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh well, he's Chicago's problem now. So far, I'd say he's a wasted talent.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

August 16 Gilberto didn't play at all. He was out due to a thigh contusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is this thread still a thing now that he's officially former TFC?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Why is this thread still a thing now that he's officially former TFC?
    Good point. We'll continue in the Former TFC player/coach/staff thread:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...aff-new-thread